Contest #222 winner 🏆

154 comments

Coming of Age Fiction Sad

This story contains sensitive content

Content warning: sexual violence, language


When I was four years old, my sister and I were messing around at the pool. I slipped and hit my head on the concrete. It split open in the back. I remember the lifeguard gave me a squishy ball to squeeze. I remember she said I could keep it. I remember my dad scooped me up in his arms. It doesn’t make sense that it happened this way, but I remember he carried me all the way to the emergency room. I remember the pressure of my face pressing into a pillow as the doctor stapled my head back together. I don’t remember the pain at all. 

I remember when I fell, I heard my mom cry out. I remember I was worried she would be angry with me. She was angry often. The next morning, she got my sister and I ready in our swimsuits and sunscreen in our double bed hotel room using the faint light of the cracked curtain. I remember she let my sister sit on the bed where my dad was sleeping and watch whatever cartoon she wanted, even though we didn’t normally get to watch TV. Then she took me to the souvenir shop by the hotel to pick out a floaty, like a baby, which was not fair because I was not a baby (and she should have been done with buying baby floaties) but was also unavoidable because the doctor had said I was not to wet my stapled head for a week, and what else was she supposed to do with two kids on vacation in the heat of pool season. She held my hand, but her grip was too tight. I felt like a prisoner on a mandatory excursion. I remember the floaty cost way too much money. 

When I was five years old, my dad told me he would bring me back whatever I wanted from his three-week trip to Germany. “A puppy,” I answered immediately, and my dad had laughed and told me that I knew my mother would never allow that, and he was right, but he promised me to find a very special stuffed puppy as a compromise. I thought about it for the next two weeks. 

“I can’t do this anymore,” my mom had said the day before, and I knew she was frustrated, and I knew it was my fault. My dad traveled a lot for work, at least every Monday through Friday, and I used to crawl in their bed and cry every Monday morning when I realized he had once again left for his flight while I slept. My mom was used to this, and she knew, as my mother, she was obliged to comfort me, but the resurgence of my dramatics on that Friday evening when I realized he would not be returning for the weekend had been more than what she had signed up for. She hugged me but her arms were stiff. She gradually lost her composure until her face was contorting, and her nose was turning up like she smelled something awful before she finally called my father that evening with the proclamation that she was throwing in the towel. Thus, the next day, I skipped as I returned the landline to her with the good news that Daddy would be bringing me home the most wonderful stuffed puppy, and it would be yellow, like my favorite color. I remember she smiled as she took the phone and she said that’s just what a Disney dad would do. That sounded like a good thing, but it didn’t feel like a good thing because I remember her smile didn’t reach her eyes. I pretended to busy myself with a toy and when she thought I was suitably distracted I remember her whisper yelling into the receiver about me becoming spoiled.

When my dad came home, as promised, he presented me with a stuffed yellow lab with big brown eyes and fur as soft as the lamb’s ear in our garden. I hugged it tightly, overwhelmed with joy, and I remember the way my dad beamed at me. He told me that he had been shopping in the evenings after work with his coworker, searching high and low for my prize, and that she had grabbed it off the shelf, proclaiming its perfection and hugging it tightly just like I did on the night they finally found it. I remember now how my mom pursed her lips tightly and left the room. 

When I was twelve, my dad left our home for good. I remember my chest felt so tight I took ibuprofen. He called me a few weeks later, and he explained everything. He didn’t leave me; he left my mother. She was hard to live with. I said I understood. He told me the judge had said he got to have me and my sister for two whole weeks straight during the summer and we could go anywhere we wanted. Then he asked me why my sister wouldn’t call him back and I said I didn’t know. I remember I was worried I had disappointed him with this answer, but he told me that it was okay. He knew that of all people, I would be the one to be on his side because our bond was special. I was just like him. That was my favorite compliment. 

When I was fourteen, though, I called my dad in tears to tell him how my favorite compliment had been welded into my mom’s weapon of choice. I told him how she spat out the words like they were venom in her mouth. I was just like my father. I asked him if I could stay with him because she had told me that I was old enough to make my own choice. It had been an easy decision for me. But I remember how he shifted uncomfortably on the phone, the way his words came out like the service was poor. “I don’t know about that,” he had said. He needed to think. I could hear his new wife speaking in the background and I couldn’t hear what it was that she said but I remember his “I don’t know” turned into, “No, I don’t think that’s possible.” He told me he loved me while my tears were still flowing, and I remember they felt hot against my cheeks when he hung up. 

I’m sixteen now, and I stopped calling him first, so we don’t talk much. My dad complains in emails to my mother that she has poisoned me against him. But she and I aren’t colluding by any means- the last thing the two of us can do is get along- and I spend as much time away from home as possible. Not in like a depressing way, I mean. I have fun. 

I have my own friends now who feel like family and a boyfriend they’re all jealous of. I wear his letter jacket to class, and he drives me home after school. He's a senior, and he has his own car. I look out his passenger window at the underclassmen as they walk home. We pull up to the stoplight next to two freshman girls waiting for the crosswalk. He doesn’t even notice them, but he leans over to me, puts his hand on my chin, and draws my face to his for a kiss. My stomach flutters with the thrill of knowing those girls are looking directly at their hopes for the future. I know everyone hopes to be loved like this, to be so irresistible to someone that they can’t pass up any opportunity to touch them. 

He comes home with me, and he knows my mom can be loud and angry, but I’m not worried about it, and he isn’t fazed. Ever since he got his license, we’ve been able to whisper many secrets in dark parking lots after gatherings with our friends. I know that no matter what it may look like on the outside, his family isn’t perfect either. He gets me. I always return home floating, impervious to my mom’s snide remarks about the late hour and how it relates to my promiscuity. I’m not scared of her anymore. In a year he’ll be off to college and in another I'll join him. He's going to call me every day and I'll get to visit all the cool college parties. When it's time for me to move we'll find a place out there together and I will never have to feel alone again. 

Tonight, I tell my mom I’m going over to my best friend’s house, and she believes me. She makes sure to make plans with her friend from her church group because she doesn't like to be alone. But instead, I make fettucine alfredo for my boyfriend, and we eat it off the fancy dishes at the kitchen table. It’s our ten-month anniversary. He tells me it’s the best meal he’s ever had. After dinner, I suggest we go to my neighborhood swimming pool, and I instantly regret it. I’m probably so bloated after all those carbs. 

He doesn’t care though, and he exclaims how incredible I look in my swimsuit as soon as I take off my t-shirt to get in the water. I’m blushing, but I love it. It’s the end of August, so the pool is still open since it’s technically still summer, but school has just started so nobody even thinks of coming here anymore. And it’s 9pm, so it’s almost dark and technically closed, except no one ever actually locks the gates. It's just the two of us in the world. It’s perfect. We swim together, giddy with laughter. We race, play contests to see who can hold our breath the longest, and when I gasp to the surface for air, he grasps me in his arms and takes my breath away again, kissing me deeply, his hands reaching up underneath my top. 

I’m surprised, and I push him back. I’m not quite ready for that, I tell him. He pauses. Frowns. Then he grips my waist to lift me up onto the side of the pool. I sit there while he positions himself out of the water to sit beside me.

We talk for a minute. We’ve been dating for a while. He understood I was distracted during the school year, but the past few months, we’ve spent every day together. I’ve been teasing this all summer, he points out. Now that school has started up again, he can’t guarantee he won’t drift away from me. What I hear is that we spent every day together, but it wasn’t what I thought. It was a transaction. 

He’s reached his hand forward, and now it’s holding the left side of my head. He takes my silence as a yes, but I feel sick inside. He kisses me, again and again. He keeps going. 

“Please stop,” I hear myself say. 

“Just relax,” he whispers. He’s still being gentle. I tell him I don’t want to. He doesn’t stop. I’m begging, and he keeps going. The tears start to fall. I think, then, that he will understand that I mean it, but when he sees, his eyes turn black. He isn’t gentle anymore. I try to get up, but he pushes me down, hard. I try to cry out, but his hand grips my throat. The ground feels rough against my face. 

Afterwards, I’m still crying, and he regards my tears with disgust. He tells me to stop putting on a show. He sits there uncomfortably for a minute, until I can stop sobbing. I'm still laying there. He moves my hair out of my eyes, stroking it softly. He assures me he was careful, and that he’s glad we solidified our connection. That he loves me. He insists on mutual promises that we don’t tell anyone. Then he gets up to go use the men’s restroom. 

On Monday, though, he will tell all the boys in our friend group that we did it. At lunchtime, my best friend will come up to me and ask if it’s true. And I’ll hear myself laugh and answer flirtatiously that maybe we did do it, because I’m not a victim. We’ll drift apart. She’ll tell our other girlfriends she feels like she’s the last one to know my secrets these days. I won’t notice for a while, because I’ll still have him. And once I do, I'll blame her for not asking more questions. For not knowing me better to see through my facade. And I'll confirm my own greatest fears, that without him, I would be utterly and terribly alone.

But right now, I don’t know any of that yet. Right now, actually, I’m wondering where my dad is. Maybe he’s in Germany, or China, or at his new house meal prepping chicken. And, for a moment, I consider calling him tomorrow. But just for a moment, because then I go to try and get up, and the next thing I know all I can think about is how bad the scrapes feel on my face. Moments ago, I went from being scared I was going to die to wishing I would. They say your life flashes before your eyes. I remembered everything. And I’m wondering why my dad ever scooped me up in the first place, if I was just going to end up back here on the fucking concrete. 

November 04, 2023 02:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

154 comments

Danie Holland
10:44 Nov 11, 2023

Audrey, congrats on the win girl. I loved this piece. I saw where in the comments you mention talking about ugly things being a necessity. I want you to know that resonated with me deeply. There is no healing for the things we keep in the dark. Powerful writing, thank you.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:22 Nov 17, 2023

I really appreciate that, Danie! I could not agree more. Thank you so much for reading my story and sharing what you thought.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jason Ayama
17:20 Nov 13, 2023

This was amazing so captivating. good job.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:21 Nov 17, 2023

Thank you Jason!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Kinley
18:45 Nov 10, 2023

Audrey, this is WONDERFUL! I was drawn in with the first paragraph and didn't stop reading. It's sad and poignant and has me rooting for a happy future for your MC. Well done and CONGRATS!

Reply

Audrey McKenna
03:43 Nov 11, 2023

Thank you so, so much Karen!! I knew I wanted to communicate a sad story, but I worried about skirting too close to downright depressing as it's definitely a fine line. I am glad to hear that you are left with hope for her, as I imagine her having a happy future, too. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily Manion
14:47 Nov 11, 2023

Congrats!!! 👏

Reply

Emily Manion
04:11 Nov 12, 2023

The end left me just amazed!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Naya Putryansyah
16:38 Nov 13, 2023

Hello Audrey, I love your writing style! The setting, the story, the characters and the way in which you tell everything is so amazing. I was at first intrigued by the title, and went on to read and I. Just. Can't. Stop. Reading. This is, amazing, beyond words, other-worldly amazing. Keep up the good work and keep winning gurl! Love, Naya. P.S. You've also gotten a new like, comment and follower!

Reply

Emily Manion
12:14 Nov 14, 2023

Naya captured it perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
18:01 Nov 22, 2023

Thanks so much, I appreciate the compliment Emily! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Audrey McKenna
19:21 Nov 17, 2023

Thank you so, so much Naya! I actually went back and forth over the title more than a few times. I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
18:04 Nov 22, 2023

Oh wow, I didn't thought you'd reply. By the way, sorry I replied late, I'm actually on a road trip with my family, and I rarely get internet connections on the road... Your title is perfect, it captures the audience's eyes, and makes them curious. It makes them click on the story, then read it. It works like magic. I love titles like yours, the ones that cut straight to the point yet are able to master the magic of beckoning people to come read your story. Thank you for writing this story, for because I read it, I saw writing stories fro...

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:36 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Naya!! I would love to check out your work. I hope to hear more from you soon! :)

Reply

Naya Putryansyah
12:41 Jan 04, 2024

Hello Audrey! Happy New Year!! Please give me feedback because I'm still quite a beginner and write only to tell others what I think inside my weird, imaginative, childish head. I really love your stories, even though they're barely much, and I will study your writing technique in the hopes I'll be able to use them in future days. Love, Naya. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Malcolm Twigg
19:17 Nov 10, 2023

Well done with this. It is not the style of story I would choose to read and the fact that I was irresistably drawn in speaks volumes for the excellence of the work.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
03:49 Nov 11, 2023

Wow, that is a big compliment. I completely understand why this genre would not be for everyone, and I am beyond flattered to hear that it transcended your usual taste. Thank you!!

Reply

Malcolm Twigg
09:37 Nov 11, 2023

You're welcome. It does puzzle an innocent Brit, however, why your story elicited such a vehement theological commentary in the discussion. Bible Belt, I suppose. Least said the better.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:40 Nov 17, 2023

I was a bit surprised myself. I know I chose a sensitive topic but I didn't think what I wrote was going to elicit that particular response. Having been raised in the American South, I did see some irony in the fact that I wrote a coming-of-age tale and some people seemingly crawled out of the woodworks that reminded me of my own childhood. I'm not religious anymore, though I actually would have enjoyed a real theological debate as I feel prepared with an arsenal of Christian knowledge I no longer use. But the "discussion" reminded me more...

Reply

Luke Cox
19:14 Nov 27, 2023

You're story was amazing and speaks of truth. I am wondering why you said the mother has a church? Interesting detail.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:52 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you so much for reading it and sharing your feedback! I wrote that the mother was going to meet one of her friends from church because I felt it added a bit of depth of character to the mother as well as insight to the setting, giving the reader several clues with just those few words. Brevity was necessary because I have a tendency to struggle with word counts, but also because I believe it gives a more authentic feel to the story to lead the reader to their own conclusions rather than spell them all out. The mother can seem like a h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trey Calcinore
02:46 Nov 04, 2023

WOW. 👏🏼

Reply

Audrey McKenna
23:37 Nov 05, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karla Garcia
06:57 Jan 01, 2024

So realistically sad. Well written and moving.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
17:31 Jan 01, 2024

Thank you Karla!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elijah Oglesbee
20:48 Dec 22, 2023

Great story one of my favorites congrats on the win and i am now one of your followers

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:54 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you so, so much Elijah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ivy Jay
20:53 Dec 20, 2023

that last line.... heartbreakingly good.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:55 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Ivy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rachel Kroninger
03:57 Dec 15, 2023

Your writing gave me chills; a powerful yet realistically somber story. A very effective last paragraph and sentence. I hope to read more from you soon :)!

Reply

Audrey McKenna
19:58 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you for reading and sharing such positive feedback, Rachel! I hope to write much more in the future, and I would be honored if you read my work again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie Hall
16:55 Dec 13, 2023

Audrey; you have written a captivating story about something that no one should ever have to go through. I'm not sure if this is from a real-life experience or if this was fiction, but either way, this is one of the best pieces I have ever read. KEEP GOING !! <3

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:01 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you very much Katie!! This is a work of fiction, but unfortunately it is a topic that is relatable to so many people. I really appreciate your feedback, it has truly made my day <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luis DeJesus
19:36 Dec 11, 2023

Really Sad I cried💔

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:01 Dec 31, 2023

Sorry for making you cry but thank you for reading! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kingsford Kwofie
23:02 Dec 08, 2023

This story is very interesting

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:02 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you for reading, I appreciate your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:37 Dec 02, 2023

Powerful writing that holds attention to every line. Congratulations on your win.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:03 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Phyllis!! These are high compliments and I am so, so flattered. I appreciate you reading and responding!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aly <3
23:46 Nov 30, 2023

no because WHY IS THIS STORY SO GOOD i love this. you did so good i love it keep it up

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:04 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you so so much Aly! Your feedback brought a huge smile to my face :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vera Peter
01:57 Nov 28, 2023

Nothing like what you wrote about has ever happened to me, but it was almost like it did because you described everything so well. You turned something so scary into something so beautiful, and it takes a lot of courage to share that. Congrats on the win! <3

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:10 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you so much Vera! I was definitely scared to submit this, because I know this is a sensitive, important subject and I really do appreciate the weight that comes with it. Your recognition means a lot. Thank you again, for taking the time to read what I have written and for sharing your feedback. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Enber Boisselier
20:18 Nov 25, 2023

I love this! People like you inspire me to write more stories. I’m 12, and sometimes i drop off a story while I’m writing it. Your style of writing is awesome and you captivated me with this piece! Love, Enber.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:17 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Enber!! I also, at the age of 25, still drop off stories while I'm writing lol. It's part of the process! I am so touched to hear I have provided you with inspiration and I would love to read some of your work. Best wishes to you as you grow in your writing career! Happy new year! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
03:26 Nov 24, 2023

The way everything ties back to the beginning is great. Swimming pool season and the need to talk to her dad, resentment. This was powerful.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:22 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you very much Graham! I find circular plots really interesting, and I have always wanted to write something that moves people. Your words mean a lot, thank you again.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:28 Jan 01, 2024

You’re welcome Audrey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya Hughes
00:53 Nov 24, 2023

Love this!!

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:22 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you Maya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noa Garcia
17:04 Nov 23, 2023

I'm actually quite obsessed. From the beginning to the end (Oh my Lord the END), I loved this piece so very much. Congrats on your win!! Very much deserved.

Reply

Audrey McKenna
20:24 Dec 31, 2023

Thank you so much Noa! I am very proud of this piece and it means so much to hear you speak so highly of it. <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.