11 comments

Fiction Coming of Age

It was just another day in the life of Velma Dinkley, the resident nerd and social outcast. It's safe to say that I will never have a shot at being famous. My love for all things cerebral and my less-than-stellar social skills made me an easy target for bullies like Katelynn Carson. She was a classic mean girl straight from Hollywood central casting. I'd been dealing with her taunts and jabs for years, but it all came to a head at her Halloween party last year.


Katelynn had set up a game of spin the bottle, and I knew it wouldn't end well for me. As luck would have it, the bottle spun round and round and pointed straight at me, and Katelynn snickered in delight as she announced that I had to kiss Vanessa Morris. She was new at school and probably didn't like me, and the thought of kissing her in front of the whole party made my stomach churn. But Katelynn wasn't going to let me off the hook that easily. She pushed me towards Vanessa, and the entire room erupted in laughter as I stumbled, my face turning bright red.


After that, I was the subject of jokes and snide comments from the popular kids at school. No matter how hard I tried to be one of them, a nagging humiliation had haunted me for years—the nickname "Stinky Dinky" that Katelynn had given me in fifth grade. I had grown accustomed to it, but I was turning sixteen, and it was time to leave that behind.


Everyone at Oak Park High School was buzzing about a new candy game called Gummy Mayhem. I knew that if I could incorporate it into my sweet sixteen party, I would instantly become the coolest kid in school. The typical party games we always played, like spin the bottle and musical chairs, wouldn't cut it. I needed something edgy that would make everyone at the party go wild.


*******


As I pushed open the door of Sugar Rush, a trendy candy store, I was hit by a wave of confectionary scents so strong that I could taste it. A glance around the store revealed a vibrant assortment of candies, chocolates, and gummies that satisfy the eyes and sweet tooth. I felt like a five-year-old kid in a candy store skipping through the aisles, captivated by the colorful scene. 


As I approached the back, I was drawn to a large display showcasing the newest craze, Gummy Mayhem. The colorful packaging and flashy graphics were so eye-catching that I had to look closer. I picked up the box and examined it. I couldn't wait to try the game and see what kind of gummy-filled adventures awaited me.


My curiosity was piqued, and I couldn't resist asking the store clerk to tell me about it. "What's Gummy Mayhem?" I asked, my eyes sparkling with excitement.


The clerk's nose crinkled as he smiled. "Ah, Gummy Mayhem. It's a new game that's been causing quite a stir. It's a bit perilous, but it's been pretty popular."


"Perilous?" I echoed, my interest piqued even more.


The clerk leaned in, a conspiratorial glint in his eye. "Oh, yes. Players spin a wheel to sample gummies with peculiar flavors, and then they have to answer truth-or-dare questions. If they refuse to answer, they must eat one of the gummies, risking its tainted flavor profiles."


I couldn't help grinning. This was precisely what I was looking for. "I'll take it!" 


*******


I spent the entire day getting ready for the party. I decorated the basement with colorful balloons and streamers and set up a table with all my favorite snacks and drinks. I wore a beautiful blue dress with orange daisies that I saved for this special occasion. It matched my eyes, downplaying my nerdy glasses and setting off my blonde hair. My parents agreed to go out tonight and return two hours into my four-hour window. The thrill of a partially unchaperoned high school party made everyone want to attend. I even extended the olive branch to Katelynn and invited her hoping to finally get her to see me in a new light and drop the nickname.


The popular kids started dancing to the beat as soon as the music began streaming. Everyone was enjoying my carefully curated birthday party playlist. Lana Del Rey's haunting melody, Billie Eilish's soulful lyrics, and The Weeknd's electrifying beats filled the room, making it impossible not to join in. The smell of freshly baked brownies and chocolate chip cookies wafted through the air, and I could see their faces light up as they munched on the tasty snacks. 


I was on top of the world until I heard a familiar voice calling me from the crowd. "Hey, Stinky Dinky, where's the cake?" Katelynn had arrived with a group of her mean friends, and they were laughing and teasing me.


I felt my face turn red with embarrassment. I hoped she would respect my wishes and not call me by that name. I took a deep breath and tried to compose myself. "Actually," I said with a confident smile, "I'm not Stinky Dinky anymore; this is my party. And there's no cake but plenty of other snacks if you're hungry."


Katelynn looked surprised but also a little bit impressed. I had stood up for myself and was no longer a wimpy nerd who could be teased and bullied. I was taking control of my life and identity, and everyone could see I was growing into a confident young woman.


The tension built as we sat in a circle, ready to spin the wheel on the board to select a gummy flavor profile. "Okay, who wants to go first?" I asked.


"I will," my friend Emily said, spinning the wheel as it stopped on a red berry-shaped gummy with a strawberry or skunk flavor profile. She shuddered. Okay, what's the truth or dare question?"


I grinned and asked if she had a secret crush on Kevin. She grabbed the gummy and popped it into her mouth, making a face. "Ugh, this one tastes like a skunk!" She choked and gagged on the candy. Laughter filled the room as Emily, with her eyes watering, passed to the next player. 


The game continued, each turn bringing new surprises and more laughter. It was the perfect blend of drama and fun. The game finally came around to me, and Katelynn sneered as she asked, "Are you still a virgin?"


I spun the wheel, and it landed on a green lime-shaped gummy that would be like a key lime pie or flavored with snot. I took a deep breath and pinched my nose, popping the gummy into my mouth. It was delicious. A sweet, zesty lime hit my tongue, and I laughed, chewing it up.


I had to choose a player to grill on the hot seat and get my payback, so I called on Katelynn to answer the truth or dare. "Are you cheating on Thomas with Sean?"


Katelynn said, "Oh, you little bitch! I'm not cheating. How dare you try to imply such a thing?"


Sean scoffed and said, "She's lying. You failed, and now you have to spin the wheel."


Thomas said, "And later, Sean, I'm going to kick your scrawny ass outside. Katelynn, pay the penalty and spin. I hope you get dog water!"


Katelynn groaned and said, "I am telling the truth!" 


Sean said, "Oh, Katelynn, I have proof on my phone. So unless you want me to show everyone, spin the wheel."


I said, "Let's not go too far. I was playing around when I asked that question. It was supposed to be all just fun and games."


Katelynn said, "Fine, I'll spin." The wheel landed. It said it was either birthday cake flavor or rat poison. She frowned. "What kind of flavor is rat poison? I'm almost afraid to eat it." 


Thomas said, "Just eat it; it's only candy."


Katelynn popped the gummy into her mouth, chewing quickly and swallowing. She said," It tastes good, like birthday cake."


Thomas said, "Well damn, you are a lucky little tramp. Now, Sean, let's go outside and settle this like men."


I said, "Please don't fight. My parents will be home any minute, and someone could get hurt."


Sean laughed and said, "I'm no coward, so let's go out back."


All the other kids started chanting, "Fight, fight!" everyone headed up from the basement to my backyard to witness the spectacle. I kept pleading my case, but nobody listened. It was all my fault; I should have kept my mouth shut. I let my pride and insecurity get the best of me. Outside, the kids gathered in a circle as Sean and Thomas prepared to brawl. Suddenly, Katelynn started gagging and choking and grabbing desperately at her throat. She started turning blue, and she couldn't breathe.


 I screamed, "Call 911! " As she collapsed onto the grass in a heap, everyone stared in shock. 


Emily called for help as we watched Katelynn convulsing on the ground. My parents arrived home from dinner to witness the horrific scene, stunned by what they saw. It was a nightmare. The whoop of sirens and flashing red lights clamored into our driveway, and paramedics flew into action, trying to revive Katelynn. But she was unresponsive, just lifeless in my backyard.


Thomas pointed at me and said, "Velma, it's all your fault you tried to kill her with that death gummy."


My heart pounded as I stood there, frozen in fear, watching the paramedics work tirelessly to revive Katelynn. It was a surreal scene as they hoisted her onto the gurney, quickly loaded her into the ambulance, and rushed her to the hospital. I could feel the glare of my friends' eyes burning on me, their expressions filled with disgust and suspicion. I desperately tried to plead with them, to make them believe that I had nothing to do with Katelynn's mysterious illness, but the words caught in my throat. The party was over.


******


Katelynn's parents were devastated when they learned their daughter had fallen sick after eating Gummy Mayhem candy. They admitted her to the hospital, where she was treated for food poisoning. Katelynn eventually recovered. Her parents were reeling and determined to find out what had caused their daughter's sudden illness.


As the authorities started investigating, they discovered several other teenagers in town had also fallen sick after eating the same gummy. The candy manufacturing company Sugarland Sweets discontinued the rat poison flavor and was cleared of wrongdoing, so they focused on the local supply chain.


The detectives had been following the trail of clues for weeks. They had been combing through CCTV footage, interviewing witnesses, and analyzing evidence, trying to piece together the puzzle of who had poisoned the candy. The trail had finally led them to the Sugar Rush, the candy shop in the heart of Oak Park.


They found Marvin Reese, the same clerk who had sold me the game, standing behind the counter, looking nervous and fidgety. The detectives approached him, and he immediately recognized them.


"Hey, you're the cops who were here a few weeks ago, right?" he asked.


The detectives nodded and asked him if he knew anything about the poisoned candy. At first, Marvin denied involvement, but as they continued questioning him, he broke down and confessed.


"I did it," he said, tears streaming down his face. "I was tired of being pushed around, bullied, and teased by those kids. They tormented me for being nerdy and owning a candy shop. The kids would come in groups and steal stuff, and I'd end up having to pay for it. They would knock over my displays and wreck my inventory. I couldn't take it anymore, so I decided to teach them a lesson."


Marvin went on to explain how he had laced the toxic substances into the Gummy Mayhem candy, hoping that the kids who had been hazing him would be the ones to eat it and get a belly ache. He just wanted revenge on the bad kids and for them to stop tormenting him. In the end, Marvin was charged with multiple counts of poisoning and sentenced to several years in prison.


The children who had been affected by the candy eventually recovered, but the incident had left an impact on the community. The town was in shock, unable to fathom how such a tragedy could unfold in Oak Park, Illinois. My friends apologized for accusing me of trying to hurt Katelynn. They realized that it could have happened to anyone and that fate had landed on Katelynn's spin. They also acknowledged the hurt they had caused me over the years.


After Katelynn's recovery, she came to my house to make amends. "Hey, I'm sorry for how I treated you. I was a mean girl, and I shouldn't have called you names like 'Stinky Dinky.' I hope you can forgive me."


"It's okay, Katelynn. I appreciate your apology, and I forgive you. I'm glad you're doing better now."


Katelynn said, "Thank you. I realized I was wrong and that my actions and words hurt people. I want to make things right and be a better person."


 "I believe in second chances for both of us. I'm here to support you."


Katelynn smiled and nodded, "Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. And once again, I'm sorry for everything."


"No worries, it's water under the bridge. Let's move forward and focus on building a positive relationship from now on."


From this horrible experience, I learned never to allow anyone to treat me less than human or to find humor in hurting others. I had provoked a fight that could have ended badly, but fortunately, everyone was okay. It wasn't all fun and games. It was sometimes life or death.


******


Two weeks later, I was in the library studying for finals when my phone buzzed with a text that surprised me. It was from Vanessa, who I've had a massive crush on. She moved to Oak Park from New Hampshire and was a natural beauty with a kind heart and a great smile.


Vanessa: Hey Velma, I want to see a movie this weekend. Would you like to go with me?


Me: Oh, yes! I would love to go. What do you want to see?


Vanessa: Classic Cinemas Lake Theatre has a Saturday matinee of Portrait of a Lady on Fire.


Me: Oh my goodness, I've wanted to see that for years since it came out. That's perfect. I can meet you there an hour before it starts.


Vanessa: It's a date. See you there.


I lifted my gaze from my phone screen to survey my surroundings - the quiet, cozy library I had grown to love. I spotted Vanessa tucked away in a corner, her face lit up with a wide grin. I smiled back at her with a nod, and a rush of emotions filled me with warmth. As my eyes returned to my computer screen, I caught a glimpse of my reflection and was surprised to see a different girl from the one who had stepped foot in the library a few months ago. I felt proud of my progress and had a newfound appreciation for the challenges that brought me here. I smiled at Velma Dinkley, loving the person smiling back at me for the first time in my life.






April 17, 2024 11:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Graham Kinross
04:18 May 05, 2024

You’ve got the subtlety of teenage interaction down to a fine edge. Nice musical choices. Velma shouldn’t need to prove herself in any way. She’s in the Scooby gang.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
10:55 May 05, 2024

Thank you! It's fun to remember what it's like to be a teenager. 🤩

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:32 May 05, 2024

I preferred my 20s.

Reply

Laurie Spellman
12:35 May 05, 2024

If we are going there, it was my thirties for me!

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:37 May 05, 2024

I’ve developed too many new health issues to favour my thirties but becoming a dad is amazing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
17:16 Apr 18, 2024

Ooh, a very creative story. I love your use of description to make the story come even more alive. A bit of a suggestion, though: Maybe hash out your reveal that it's the candy store owner that poisoned everyone since it's a very important plot point. Overall, great job !

Reply

Laurie Spellman
18:17 Apr 18, 2024

Thank you for the feedback. I went in and expanded it a bit more to add depth to the reveal. I think it is an improvement. 🦋

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:48 Apr 18, 2024

ll's well, that ends well. Though I was surprised that K want to have a b'day party to start with (good for her) and invited her nemesis )I wouldn't have).

Reply

Laurie Spellman
16:57 Apr 18, 2024

Velma was trying to be one of the popular kids in school. 😀

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
16:48 Apr 17, 2024

Teen angst

Reply

Laurie Spellman
17:11 Apr 17, 2024

Oh yes 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.