1 comment

Fiction Science Fiction Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Flashing red lights and a powerful echoing siren around the entire ship. Blood ran along their arm and down to their fingertips, and they looked at me with such hate. “ Are you weak?”

“Absolutely, I am weak…”

-Before.

They looked at me for answers from their different control chairs. The vessel floated rather silently through space. The five of us have spent every day for the last eleven months together. sent on a mission to collect resources from around every corner of the universe.

Eleven months reaping food, metal, water, and every mineral of resource we could, guided by the stars and the powers that be, sending us directions and only returning when were full. All in the name of the Federation, so the Fed could become the biggest superpower in the known universe.

“What are we going to do?” Robin my navigator sternly asked me. My crew glared, hoping I would have some answer, some emergency help. The rectangle-shaped bridge lit up with the blue and orange glows of the different computers at each of my crew's workstations.  I reached for my servatium, but the pill bottle had run empty. It's just what I needed at this time. It kept us relaxed and a little lucid while dealing with all the stress and madness that comes with being a star hoarder. I looked at all of the stars outside of the large oval window that wrapped around the front of the cockpit. Unlimited potential through the window and we were doomed to die from oxygen poisoning, as our life support systems had shit the bed in a really bad way, and I didn’t know why. This day had felt like a nightmare. I nodded to my crew who had waited too long for an answer.

“ We have several hours of life support left, and three new star systems in range, there is a chance we could find somewhere, a planet that supports us for a day or two.” It was not the answer the crew was looking for. Jacobs, my Medic, the man of the people threw up his hands and shook his head.

“ We get air, make some repairs, contact the Fed” I continued, trying to come up with something that at least sounded hopeful and like I had any idea how I could solve this.

“ We should head back to the Federation.” Barnes the engineer noted. Some of the crew waited for an answer, but my navigator already knew. She tapped her feet and chewed at her nails. Her brown eyes widened as the crew looked at her.

“ Fourteen, fourteen hours away is the nearest fed base, and that’s at full speed ” She muttered

It was then that my chemist, dam emotional guy dropped on the floor and started to have a bit of a panic attack. It's how they all felt, but I couldn’t do that. I tried to stand tall and firm like it was just another Tuesday or this mining craft. This craft that’s sent to scout the stars for resources. It’s a high-paid job, one of the only that’s left for people who aren’t born with a silver spatula up their rectum left. A long tradition of engineers scouring the stars to see what we can muster up from planets. For about as long as this job has lasted there's been stories of people all over disappearing into unknown star systems, ghost stories of our first contact with aliens not going well - but this, this is something else.  

A halted cough from our chemist, my least favorite member of this motley crew.

“So youre plan, and correct me if im wrong is to keep doing what we are doing, knowing that we will probably perish in about nine hours?” Chemist, botanist, geologist, all those degrees I guess it didn’t teach him any people skills.

“No,” I announce as I walk through the bridge to the star map. A large square sat centrally on the bridge. I wave my hand over the golden sand dial to illuminate it. a cluster of stars appeared as holograms in front of us, painting us in a blue hue. I put my finger slightly in the sand and I felt the connecting bio-tissue tickle at my finger.

“ This is our current destination,” I announced. The map zoomed quickly to a cluster of stars that shone brighter than the rest. A black line showed the jump point to the next galaxy.

“But bear with me.”

I pinched the electric sand and twisted it. The holograms sped to another cluster of stars. I reached in the air and pressed invisible buttons, to show a projection over the holograms.

“ This galaxy has at least four different jump points that are clustered together.  We redirect here immediately. This way we can access the most galaxies and planets as quickly as possible.”

“4.78 percent.” My navigator chirped up exactly when I didn’t want her to.

“4.78 of planets across the universe are at least slightly habitable to us.”

Sad sighs escaped the crew's throats.

“ Then we’ll beat the odds,” I announced, pushing a hopeful smirk on my lips.

I turned and started walking away.

“Let's make it happen people!” I yelled into the air.

I marched along the bridge to the hallways, this ship was large enough to hold a few secrets. Eleven months we've been sent out to the far reaches of the universe, eleven months and I felt like I knew these people so well.  They should have felt like family. I couldn’t help erasing the feeling, that there were thoughts they hid from me. The ravaging of planets for rich folk who don’t give a fuck about us is sure to take a toll. I couldn’t shake the feeling that there could be enemies among my crew.

I walk past the crew quarters. I felt the pull of my quarters, my little sanctuary from these people. I just wanted a second in it. I might have found some Servitium to take the blinding worry away. This is the least sedated I've felt in a long time, my head doesn’t feel as cloudy though. As I got closer to my door, just across from it Robin's my Navigator's door smacked against something hard, making a jittering, creak.

As I got closer I noticed the smell of copper, before I saw the bloodstains coming from the body of the ship's cat Goliath. I reeled from it for a moment but I had to step into Robin's room. It was then that I started to realize what had happened.

Behind Robins' bed, just like all of ours, is the blue-winged eagle of the federation marker and the letters G.F. A for ‘Galactic Federation Alliance’

Written in Goliath's blood over the insignia is ‘ Thieving Federation Genocide Alliance, and T.F.G.A’, and a single picture of the remnants of a planet we gutted. I knew which one instantly, Tac 17, the holograph read ‘signs of early life’… but we had orders. A quota to reach.

My stomach urges me to vomit, but I do the breathing exercises the Fed doctor told me. I wanted to keep in control, for a second I looked for Robin's Servitium, but stopped myself and left her room.

I think about going back to the bridge and telling my crew, but I have more pressing matters. I touch my wristband, putting one finger on the bottom side, one just above it, and one on the left side of my wrist.

“Barnes. Meet me by the engine.”

The life support and maintenance system screens were flashing red by the engine. A light occasionally spun around the room with a quiet alarm.

“Sabotage? Really cap?” Barnes gasped at me.

I didn't know if that was bad acting or if I  genuinely shocked him.

“What else could it be?” I asked him.

He stepped back, rolled his eyes, and threw out his hands.

“ I got to tell ya, the others aren’t going to be happy with you throwing around this kind of accusation.” Barnes looked over the engine again briefly and paced a little around the engine.

“ Who would it be, why would someone intentionally do this…Maybe, the cat got in it. messed up the wiring.”  

“So not the cat,” Barnes muttered as I showed him the grave of Goliath, his mouth almost planted on the floor.

From my uni band, the voice of Robin announced.

“ We’ve arrived at c37.”

The whole crew stared at the holograph of the surface of the planet as I moved it around, zooming in briefly to see mountains and ridges, but the planet was mostly desert.

As I scanned through the planet, the sighs got louder and louder. I stopped looking at the barren planet when the hologram showed letters in red. ‘low CO2 levels’  

We were quickly able to jump to the next planet. The crew watched in silence as Robin and I directed the next above a planet that was blue and filled with ice.

Scanning all of the planet, it was clear to see just sheets of ice and water. Quick quiet muttered erupted within my crew.

“Nowhere to land,” I muttered to my crew sadly.

I glanced over them, wondering how many people knew about Goliath's body.  

Robin took my hand and yanked me tightly to the side and behind one of the computers.

“ What are we doing? And don't tell me what you told the crew. There's only a 6.7 percent chance of us finding a planet.” She whispered.

“Why has It gone up?” I asked.

“It's your plan, I recalculated, these star systems are denser than I expected.”  

“ Why would someone do this?” I asked her directly, cutting her off She nodded slowly.  

“So it is sabotage. We figured that was possible.”

The other three members of the crew were noticing our conversation.

“The problem is, only Barnes or you could sabotage the engine.” Her eyes turned sharp, and her hand drifted to her belt, which held a few things she could stab or hit me with.

I waved her towards me so she would follow me.

“No, no, not Goliath.” She whispered as a tear fell from her eye.

“ I doubt you would do this,” I admitted. My eyes fluttered as the withdrawal started to creep in. I held onto the wall, my body shaking a little, everything was so visceral and real like someone had dropped over my eyes the perfect glasses to see clearly.

Robin looked me from over, from head to toe.

“You're not going to faint are you?”

I shook my head, and closed my eyes for a second, trying to make the world shake less.

“I can't find my servitium. This would have been a whole lot easier to deal with if I had some.” I smirked at her.

“I'm sure I have some more around here somewhere, heard it's good to have a break from it once in a while though.” She explained as she looked through her cupboards.

“You're right. Actually, It's a lot clearer without it.” I grabbed her throat and shoved her against the wall. My multitool already on its blade setting, I stabbed her quickly and deeply in the neck. Her eyes faded instantly.

Three more to go.

To the demise of the Federation, I walk. I have for a while, but just couldn’t remember when I was lit up with that trash drug, they give us to keep us willing and docile.

The ship was hovering over another planet.

“Wait a minute.” I hear the medic shout out. He always had some guilt about the planets we take from, Perhaps he can help me deal with what's left to do.

The three left looked at the holographic table. Barnes smiled gleefully. The Chemist that putrid planet sucker. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had a degree in genocide. He moved the bioelectric sand over the planet and they watched hopefully.

A holographic sign reads ‘ breathable air’ The planet is lush oceans and islands with forests floating in the sky.

“I can't believe it,” Barnes shouted and smiled at me, as I approached.

I tapped the chemist lightly on the shoulder playfully and nodded along. Three of them, one of me. They weren't good odds, but the clock was ticking with them finding a habitable planet.  I took out my multitool and planted the blade in the middle of the chemist's back.

Jacob and Barnes screamed and ran in different directions, and the chemist, just sat there shocked for a few seconds with a hole in his back.  

“ This has to stop! The federation has to be put to an end. I only remembered once I withdrew from their control drug. We are docile slaves committing horrific acts. We wipe out entire planets, and potential races for what, so that our people are the richest, so we have control over the universe. It’s a joke.” I announced into the bridge.

Disappointment was the biggest emotion I felt from my remaining crew as they stayed silent.

“Im not looking to kill you, I am looking to go against them. The federation, if you agree to just take a moment and hear me out this can stop.” I waited but again not a sound in return. I had my answer.

The red flashlights started spinning around the ship, a thumping alarm, and I knew they were trying to sneak into an escape pod.

They saw me as I approached the pod “We are just going to go. You won't see us again.” Jacobs announced, both of them sweating profusely, their eyes full of terror.  Jacobs's hand was near the large red eject button.

“You don’t have to do this. C’mon, boss man, this isn't you, put the blade down” Barnes announced, trying to hide his shaking fear and smile warmly at me.

I put one foot in the pod and kept my blade out to them.

“You’ll both understand me in a day or two, once you're fully withdrawn from servatium like I am… It lies to you, it made everything hazy. I understand why you would react this way. But trust me, you'll understand why I did this” I explained. Their hands raised. Their eyes still darting to the escape button every other second.

“Put your hands down. Say you understand. Say I don’t have to do this.” I shook a little myself as I demanded from them. A tear fell from my eye. My hand briefly dropped.

Jacobs charged at me, knocking us back against the floor of the escape pod. The blade landed in his neck. He tried and failed to catch his breath, at least it was quick. I pushed him to the side as Barnes came down and beat his fist against my face a couple of times. I grabbed his hand as he came for a third.

I swung the blade towards him as I regained my posture, he flinched back and he fell into one of the seats.

“ He made me do that. I didn’t want to, but this has to stop. They make us dumb and docile, so we’d follow whatever their orders are.” His eyes just swelled with terror.

“Are you this weak?” he asked as he tried to stand against me.

“ Yes, Absolutely I am this weak… I can't serve them with a clear head” I announced to him.

It went just like before, how I wanted to avoid it. But I guess it had to go this way. I sailed down on the escape pod to the planet with Barnes as he took his last breath. Now I wait on the shore of a floating beach, all the beauty in the galaxy, birds and fish that I've never seen. Floating jungles and mile-long waterfalls, the beauty puts a smile on my lips for a moment.  I wait for the enemy to rescue me, I wait to pretend to be one of them again, I wait for my chance to strike again, maybe this time it'll make a difference.

April 27, 2024 03:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lee Kendrick
12:17 May 06, 2024

Great story, a bit Star Treky. Lots of suspense and emotion. Best wishes in your stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.