1 comment

Kids

Hi my name is french fry, my friends all call me frenchie. If you could not already tell, I am a potato. My life is pretty great, all I do is cook is sit in the kitchen waiting for my turn to be cooked. The chefs cut me up into a thin fry and then put me in grease to cook, it feels like a day at the spa. So anyways, as I was saying, my friends all call me frenchie, well all the friends I still have left. You see, right after french fries are cooked, they leave and find new homes. It is sad to watch all of my friends leave, but I am so excited to leave. I thought today was going to be just like any other day, a lot of sitting and talking to my other potato friends. But, to my surprise, the chef picked me! I have never been so excited in all of my potato life! I was going to finally become a french fry!! The chef started by first washing me in the sink, he said that I needed to be absolutely clean before he could fry me. Then he began to peel off my skin, oh man did that HURT. When I was all nice and clean, the chef began to slice me into thin pieces. I do not know what those other potatoes were talking about, being chopped into thin slices hurt! It felt like I was being cut into little slices of me, quite literally. Once the chef was done slicing me up, he put me in the deep fryer. This was my favorite part because it was nice and warm. Before I knew it, I was done being cooked and I was shoved into a cardboard container and then into a dirty bag with other food. I was so excited! I was finally going to my new home with my new family! While driving home, I slipped into the corner of the bag and met a new friend. Her name was milkshake. She seemed so sweet and nice, we were instant friends. We talked about how we were both scared and excited to go to our new home and meet our new family. Talking and hanging out with milkshake was the best part of the whole ride. She was the best! She made me laugh and giggle, she told me how cold her life used to be and how warm it has gotten ever since she left. I just knew that milkshake and I would be best friends forever. When we finally arrived at our house, we were removed from the bag. Our new father was ugly. He was hair, in places he should not be, and bald in places he should have hair. Our new father also smelled so bad! He smelled like rotten onions, and I should know because I once saw an onion rot in the kitchen. No matter the home I am glad he picked us out. But things quickly took a turn when I realized he wanted to eat us! I do not want to be eaten!! I told Milkshake that he was trying to eat us and she started to cry all over her cup. So we made a promise to each other that when he was not looking we would run away. When he was done eating Hamburger, he started to eat my fries. I was able to escape in the corner of the bag. Milkshake, on the other hand, was not so lucky but when he was using one of my fries to dip in Milkshake, a little bit of milkshake was able to drop on the edge of the  counter. Milkshake quickly fell off and I tried to join her, but I was stuck in the bag. I tried to wiggle my way out but failed over and over again. I was going to cry when the man accidently hit the bag on the ground. Milkshake and I were able to get out and run away. But, before Milkshake and I were able to get anywhere far, the man found us. He grunted and did a little angry dance. His face got all red as he tried to bend down. The man had fallen over after trying to pick me up. While he was down, Milkshake and I ran for the door, but another thing stood in our way. The man owned a cat named Owen, he was an orange, very fat, lazy cat. Owen was laying at the door right in front of the little gap that separated us from the outside world. When Milkshake and I got to the door, Owen tried to grab us and eat us. However, Owen was too big and too lazy to actually get up, so he eventually gave up and left. Once Owen left, the gap at the bottom of the door was open and all Milkshake and I needed to do was go through the gap. But when I turned around to see how my best friend was doing, she looked at me very sadly. Milkshake was almost gone, there was hardly any milkshake left to make up her body. She told me that she could not go outside because she might dry up and we could not hang out with each other. So we quickly changed out plans, instead of going outside we were going into the trash. With the man finally getting back up to his feet he noticed a trail of Milkshake from his table to the door. He quickly got a napkin and wiped up Milkshake and then picked me up and threw us both away. Thanks to that man, Milkshake and I were able to hangout forever. We are stuck in the trash can but we are stuck together and there is no one else I would rather be stuck with. Milkshake and I have had a crazy adventure together and through it all we managed to still be best friends. 


May 07, 2020 18:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Karin Mabry
21:24 May 13, 2020

I totally smiled at the originality of your story. Very creative!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.