1 comment

Bedtime

For as long as Clara Mitchell could remember, the holiday season had been an annual ordeal she wished to avoid. The twinkling lights, the cheerful carols, the obligatory exchange of gifts – it all felt suffocating. Each year, Clara devised a clever escape plan, jetting off to distant lands where tinsel and jingle bells were mere folklore. This year was to be no exception, but fate had other plans.


Clara's disdain for the holidays was rooted in a childhood scarred by loss. Her parents, who had adored the festive season, passed away in a car accident just days before Christmas. The memories of that tragic event cast a shadow over the once joyful celebrations, leaving Clara with a bitter taste for anything associated with the most wonderful time of the year.


As the holiday season approached, Clara found herself in the familiar routine of booking a last-minute flight to a sun-soaked destination, far removed from the winter wonderland that would soon engulf her hometown. She was determined to escape the merriment and the ghosts of her past.


However, this year, a historic snowstorm was brewing, and flights were canceled left and right. Clara's well-laid escape plan crumbled like a gingerbread house in a tempest. Frustration and anger welled up within her as she realized she was trapped in the very place she so desperately wanted to flee.


The snow began to fall in thick, fluffy flakes, transforming the town into a quiet, white oasis. Clara begrudgingly watched from her window as the world outside was blanketed in a layer of pristine snow. Her escape routes were closed, both by the weather and the emotions that threatened to resurface with the snowflakes.


In an act of defiance, Clara bundled up in her thickest coat and stomped out into the winter storm. She trudged through the snow-filled streets, the bitter wind nipping at her exposed skin. The normally bustling town was eerily quiet, the muffled sounds of snowflakes hitting the ground the only audible disturbance.


As Clara walked, memories long buried beneath the layers of her heart began to thaw. She passed the bakery where she and her mother used to pick out holiday treats, the aroma of freshly baked gingerbread and cinnamon stirring forgotten emotions. The toy store where her father would play Santa for the local children stood quiet and deserted, covered in a thick blanket of snow.


Despite her best efforts to escape, Clara found herself retracing the steps of her childhood. The snowstorm had become a catalyst, forcing her to confront the ghosts of her past that she had so skillfully kept at bay. The holiday decorations hanging from lampposts mocked her, and the carolers in the town square seemed to sing the soundtrack of her most painful memories.


In a moment of surrender, Clara sought refuge in a cozy cafe, its windows fogged up from the warmth within. The barista smiled warmly as Clara ordered a hot cocoa, the swirl of whipped cream a small comfort in the midst of her internal storm. The cafe was adorned with festive decorations, and Clara felt a pang of vulnerability she hadn't anticipated.


As she sipped her cocoa, Clara's gaze wandered to an old man sitting alone at a corner table. He looked up from his book and offered a kind smile, as if sensing the turmoil within her. Intrigued, Clara approached him, and the two struck up a conversation.


The old man, named Henry, shared stories of his own losses and the ways he had found solace in the holiday season. He spoke of the healing power of embracing memories, even the painful ones, and allowing them to coexist with the present. Clara listened intently, realizing that perhaps her aversion to the holidays was not a means of protecting herself, but rather a shield preventing her from healing.


As the storm raged outside, Clara and Henry continued to talk, finding unexpected connection in their shared experiences. The bitterness Clara had harbored for so long began to thaw, replaced by a glimmer of acceptance and understanding. The snowstorm that had trapped her became the catalyst for a different kind of escape – an escape from the emotional frost that had gripped her heart.


When Clara finally left the cafe, the snow had ceased, leaving behind a glistening landscape bathed in the soft glow of streetlights. As she walked through the deserted streets, Clara felt a sense of peace she hadn't known in years. The historic snowstorm had forced her to confront her past, but in doing so, it had paved the way for a new beginning.


Clara returned home, no longer burdened by the weight of resentment. The holidays, once a source of pain, became an opportunity for healing and renewal. The town, now adorned in a pristine coat of snow, seemed to welcome her with open arms, inviting Clara to embrace the beauty that could be found even in the most challenging seasons of life.


December 08, 2023 20:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Shrestaa A
20:23 Dec 08, 2023

Happy Holidays!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.