0 comments

Fiction

“Abigail, look there is a bud on the apple tree.” Jace pointed towards the little flower. Abigail looked up following his gaze. This was the first sign of spring they had seen. The ground itself was still covered with snow, and most of the living things had taken a grey quality to them. It seemed as if the whole world had been painted white and grey. She smiled at the little pink bud. It had been a hard winter with almost a constant snow fall. There had been times when the two of them had been unsure if they would get their next meal. Money had become obsolete, and things had reverted back to a barter system. Unfortunately, when their father died, they were left with very little. The government had taken their home as they didn’t have anything to pay the fees with. They had found shelter in a small shed on the outskirts of town. They had quickly learned how to hunt, and how to find food. Unfortunately, this was an illegal risk because to be caught hunting wildlife without a permit was justification for imprisonment or even death. They had set up trade with one of the other fugitives from the law and were able to barter. But with spring coming, there would be more food. They would also be able to garden. Abigail had kept all of the seeds that they had come across during the last few months. She was hoping she could make them grow. She’d never been much of a gardener, but then again, their lives had never depended on her growing anything either.

         The war had devastated pretty much everything. They had survived in a community bunker for nearly three years. Eventually, the radiation levels were low enough that they could emerge from the underground, and for a while, it seemed that life would be fine. She and Jace were barely sixteen when they emerged. As twins, they were never without each other. Their father had built a descent house, and it seemed that life would get back to normal. They were evicted for their eighteenth birthday. She had been amazed at how quickly the government had regrouped but then again had it ever fallen apart. She was sure that they had been hidden away underground, probably still hidden away. She didn’t think they cared about what happened to the people, or even knew the people existed. The government only cared about their own gain, even when the people were starving or dying from disease. She and Jace had been lucky that their immune systems had been fairly strong to begin with. Most were not that lucky. That one bud reminded her of something that had been forgotten. She felt hope for the future. Maybe this next year, they would be able to make it, she thought as the sun illuminated the apple tree.

         Over the next week, the weather started warming up. It was still cold but now the snow was melting. Everything was still grey but now everything was wet. They were fortunate that the shed had a foundation because if it hadn’t, they’d be sleeping in the mud. “Abigail, do you ever think about our parents?” She stoked the fire. They had built a stone fire pit in the floor so they could keep warm. Their mother had died before the war back when they went to school, and the only things they had to worry about was missing ball practice. “Yes, all the time.” They were the same age, but she felt more mature. Maybe it was true that girls matured faster than boys, or maybe it was because she had taken their survival very seriously. She had been the one who had found the shed, who had made a homemade bow and arrow set, who had first learned how to skin their first deer, and who had learned how to cook over an open fire. She had learned a lot of skills over the last several months. She had never thought that she’d be sleeping on a deer fur. She hadn’t ever even tasted deer before they claimed this as their home. It could be grimy if it wasn’t cooked properly but she had choked it down. It wasn’t gourmet but it beat starving to death. “I miss them.” There was a solemn sadness in his voice. “Me too.” She said softly. “Do you ever wander what life would’ve been like if the war hadn’t happened?” She smiled. “We’d probably gotten scholarships for sports, gone off to college, only come home to visit for the holidays.” This made him laugh. This wasn’t the first time they’d wandered about the what if. A lot of the things they used to love doing had become obsolete. She had loved painting when she was younger but art supplies were few and far in between. Jace had collected marbles. They had both played a variety of sports. But the war had destroyed all of their belongings. The only belonging that she refused to part with was a locket that had a picture of the four of them.

         Jace had built a small cabinet where they kept most of their utensils and their limited food supply. “What I’d give for some eggs and bacon?” He said as he stretched. “I know but unless Em knows of a chicken farm, we could snag a few chickens from, we’re probably out of luck.” Em was their barter contact. She knew that he was pining for her to ‘marry’ him but she wasn’t quite ready to venture down that avenue. As far as she could see, Em was a good guy just not good at following the government’s strict rules. Something about him was off though, and she couldn’t put her finger on it. She knew eventually she’d have no choice, but right now it was negotiable. “What’s on the agenda today?” He asked as he pulled out a piece of deer, they had dried. Em had taught them how to turn their food into a jerky substance. She followed his lead. “We should probably try to go hunting when it gets closer to dusk. I need to mend our gloves as they are not doing well with the constant freezing temperatures. She had taken the hide of one of their kills and made a glove of sorts. “We probably need to cut some more firewood before long.” He nodded. “We can cut wood during the day then.” They had been fortunate that the shed had a few tools in it when they moved in.

         He was putting his coat on when there was a knock on the small door. He opened it expecting the worst but Em was standing there. “Is Abigail around?” Jace ran his hand through his hair. “Sorry, she went to the mall.” This caused the two of them to smile. Jace had always liked Em. She stepped out from behind Jace. “Hey Em, how are you today?” Em smiled but it was a different smile than the one he had just shared with Jace. “Abigail, you look beautiful today.” It was a nice attempt at flattery but she knew she didn’t. She hadn’t brushed her hair in ages. They only bathed once a week in water that was heated by the fire and nearly cold by the time, they used it. “Abigail, I’ve come to ask you once more to be my bride.” She hadn’t expected to hash this out again. “I’ve also come to tell you that the blues are aware you two are living here and are probably on their way to arrest you.” Em called the government officials that patrolled blues because of their blue uniforms. The day had come where she wasn’t given a choice. She knew she had to say yes, if only to save her brother’s life as well as her own. Em would be able to protect them, and they would have a bigger house. He had an agreement with the blues, one that allowed him a lot of freedoms that she and Jace didn’t have. “Okay, Em. Let us gather up our stuff.” The biggest smile spread across his face. Jace looked slightly stunned but began packing their few belongings. Em helped them load their stuff into his wagon. After the war, which had started over fuel, the gas companies had gone out of business. There were tons of cars that littered the roads but without the precious lifeline, they were useless. Em had a horse drawn carriage. She had never imagined that she would be transported to the 1800’s.

         Em’s house was pretty impressive compared to the barely one room shack they’d been living in. It had to be at least three bedrooms possibly even four. He had a barn out behind the house. He also had fields that during the spring and summer were filled with food. He showed them around the house. Finally, he showed her ‘their’ room. He had an actual bed. Oh, sweet cheese, this might just be heaven she thought. She hadn’t slept on a real bed in so long, she couldn’t remember what it felt like. On the bed was a simple pink dress. “I know this isn’t the dream house or wedding you want but it’s what I have to offer.” She genuinely smiled at him. “Thank you, Em.” He pecked her on the cheek. “I’ll allow you to get ready. In a little while, one of my other friends will be here to perform the ceremony.”

         There was a small wash room off the bedroom. She was a little bit impressed that he had a comb. She heated up some water over the fire and then began to wash the dirt off her face. She hadn’t realized how grimy she had looked until she stared at herself in the mirror. She finally washed most of the dirt off her face and began combing through her hair. She had always finger combed through her hair and then braided it so combing through it wasn’t as horrible as she’d imagined. Finally, she put on the pink dress.

         Everyone was outside underneath a tree. When she said everyone, she meant Jace, Em, and one other person who she assumed was doing the ceremony. The ceremony was simple. There weren’t any long vows just a simple explanation of a circle and then the “I do’s”. Em placed a ring on her finger. It looked old and tarnished. “This was my mother’s ring. I’ve kept it on my person for nearly fifteen years. I’m giving it to you.” Tears touched her eyes. And before she could think anymore, Em meshed his mouth with hers. Afterwards, Em was talking to the guy who had performed the ceremony. She looked up and noticed that the tree had a bud on it. It made her think of Jace pointing out the apple tree. Maybe it meant more than hope. Maybe it was their survival, and their future. Like the ring upon her finger, the bud in the tree gave her more than just a fleeting hope. This gave her something to stand on. 

March 24, 2021 04:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.