0 comments

Romance Happy Holiday

Fireworks illuminated the night sky. Bursts of blue, explosions of elegant design, red lights raining down after their display; Michael looked out the window of the apartment he was supposed to be partying in, longing to be anywhere else. “Mike!” A clearly drunk voice called to him, “Get over here you sad sh-” A well-timed burp interrupted the caller’s curse. Michael turned around and smiled. It wasn’t a happy smile though; it was a smile that let the man calling him over know he wasn’t going to be joining him anytime soon, in the politest way possible. Michael turned back around and continued to stare out the large window before him. The city looked like a creature of its own out there. Silent but full of life. Cosy and compact but more vast than he could fathom. It was an oddly delightful sight to look upon, and one that brought him some semblance of joy on this miserable evening.

The past month had been Michael’s worst. It started well, mind you, as he finally achieved the promotion he had been working so hard to get for so long. That night, as he got home and met his girlfriend, he felt invincible. He was on top of the world and all he could see was the stars and the moon in his path, not the long distance beneath him. However, he was quickly knocked from his mountain of success and happiness, becoming painfully aware of the long fall below, as his father fell ill. Then things only got worse the closer to the end of the year it got. On the 22nd of December, Michael’s girlfriend of 3 years left him; and then Christmas came.

Before Michael could get too lost in his own mind - his own memories - a smell brought him back to reality: to the party. At a party, a smell so strong that it brings one out of a daydream trance most likely isn’t a good one. But this wasn’t the case here. No, Michael’s nose picked up on something familiar yet not quite. A perfume that he knew deep in his subconscious; a smell he had good memories connected to. Michael turned around to face the party again and subtly took a breath to try and get another whiff of the sweet, floral scent. In. Out. He caught it. His eyes followed the trail that it left in the air like a cartoon character floating towards a delicious homemade pie. He searched the party with just his eyes and then… then he saw her. A stunning, shy-looking blonde girl surrounded by people who were all at least five or six inches taller than her. It took a moment for Michael to realise he was smiling and once he did, he didn’t try to stop himself. It was nice to finally be happy, he thought.

Mustering up all the courage a newly-single, somewhat tipsy, introverted man can, Michael made his way over to the woman who’d just passed him. As he got closer, the courage vanished and Michael tried to get off the path he was already set on. With each step, his brain had created an excuse as to why she’d dislike him. He’s creepy. He’s ugly. He’s not tall enough. He’s got bad breath. He’s too introverted and shy. He’s… With at least 20 steps, possibly more - definitely more, between his starting position and her, Michael’s mind came up with a plethora of reasons why he needed to abort his mission. But destiny had another thing in mind for him. As he tried to turn and avoid the blonde girl, she turned to walk the other way and their shoulders crashed into one another: spilling her drink on her beautiful dress. Michael’s face instantly went red, before a word was even spoken.

“I am so sorry.” Michael urgently apologised as he helped the woman as best he could with her spilt drink. “It’s okay. I guess it was bound to happen at some point with it being this crowded.” Michael let out a slight chuckle at her remark and suddenly felt himself get warmer and even more red in the face. “You’re blushing a little.” She pointed out sarcastically. Michael smiled and let out a light chortle as he finished helping her. “I’m sorry. You’re just… yeah. Wow.” The woman joined Michael in being red-faced as she received the compliment, and Michael made sure to point this out. “Thanks. I just didn’t want you to be alone with that daft look.” She joked. Michael continued to smile at her, feeling less awkward now than before. There was something so familiar about her. Something welcoming and warm. It’s like they knew each other; like they’d always known each other. “So,” Michael started, trying to keep their conversation going beyond a spilt drink, “what’s your name?”

“Charlotte. I’m Gavin’s friend from work.”

“Nice. Guess that explains why you’re here.” Michael chuckled nervously. Charlotte smiled at his nervous laughter; there was something about him that she liked. “So what about you, Mr. Drink-Spiller? What’s your deal?” Michael froze at the question. Not for any particular reason beyond it being the first time a woman had shown any sort of interest in him in what felt like an eternity. “I’m Michael. Me and Gavin are old school mates. I’m dragged out to these things every year.”

“And this is the first time we’ve met?” Charlotte asked, slightly surprised by this. She’d been coming to Gavin’s New Year’s party for the last three years, ever since she started working with him. “I think so?” Michael spoke a little slower than usual as his brain churned away - thinking about her question.

In a split-second, Michael relived the last couple of parties he’d been to. The first he thought of was two years ago. Michael was more lively this year; after all, he hadn’t just been dumped three days before Christmas and left with a dying father. Instead, Michael had his lips pressed against his ex-girlfriend’s, who he was still with at the time. “I’m so glad to be spending tonight with you.” Michael whispered as he held her close. The fireworks erupted behind them and life felt like a romance movie for a moment. Everything was perfect. He held her close and they swayed as everyone around them cheered. “Happy New Year!”

Then Michael smelt it.

Before he could figure it out, he was in the next memory: a year later. His mind was rushing him forward. Michael looked around as he waited. Across the room, he could see his girlfriend getting them drinks. A smile crept across his face as his eyes slowly turned to love hearts. He’d never felt so in love. Little did he know, when he was living this moment for the first time, that it’d be gone in a year. “You look happy.” A gentle voice broke his attention and Michael turned to his left, to see a familiar face that he didn’t completely recognise. “I am.” Michael turned back quickly to smile at his girlfriend. “Very happy.”

Then he smelt it. That sweet, floral smell. That wonderful aroma. Her perfume.

Michael, forcing himself to think harder about that night, looked to his left: back to the girl speaking to him. It was her. She looked back at him, with a playful smirk, and nodded before walking away.

“Michael?” One word but it brought him back to reality. He blinked a few times and gave Charlotte a brief half-smile and eyebrow raise. “You okay? You kinda blanked out for a second.” Michael laughed and nodded in response, before finally managing to get a few words out. “Yeah… I’m fine. I…” A million thoughts rushed through Michael’s mind as he contemplated his next words carefully. One mistake and everything would be messed up. “Would you like to maybe go somewhere else?”

“I’d love that. Maybe you can buy me a drink to make up for the one you spilled on me?” Charlotte joked.

“Sounds like a plan.” Michael stretched out his arm to guide Charlotte to the door and followed behind her as they made their way out without a word.

The fireworks lit up the darkness above them as they stumbled through the streets towards the nearest pub. They laughed with one another as they made their way whilst looking up in wonder. “Beautiful, aren’t they?” Michael remarked. “Yeah, I liked the—” A loud bang and a shower of pale gold light filled the sky. “I like that one.” Michael looked at Charlotte as she continued to stare upwards in wonder and awe. He couldn’t help but smile. Something about this - about her - felt right.

They never made it into the pub. Instead, they decided to sit in the streets. A choice they’d later regret but for the time being, they were just enjoying one another’s company and that was enough. The night grew old and the year came closer to ending. “I think we have met before.” Michael said idly, not looking at her. “Yeah?” Charlotte followed his lead; they both continued to just look at the stars and the beautiful explosions of colour. “Yeah, I recognised your perfume.”

“You did?” Charlotte chuckled.

“Yeah, it’s nice. I remember things I like.”

“And people?”

“What?” Michael and Charlotte finally looked at one another. She smiled at him, smugly, as if she knew the answer. “Do you remember the people you like too?” Michael rolled his eyes and went back to looking at the night sky. Charlotte joined him and they fell silent.

“Of course I do.” Michael broke the silence after a minute or two of stargazing.

“What?” Charlotte looked at him, confused. She’d forgotten her own question at that point. The night was long and everything was blurring together. “Nothing.” Michael smiled as he kept looking at the sky. Part of her knew he had said something she wanted to hear, despite not explicitly remembering. She rested her head on his shoulder and joined him in looking at the stars again. “Happy New Year.” Michael whispered as they stared at stars together. A new year. A new beginning. Neither of them could have been happier than they were at that moment.

December 30, 2021 19:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.