The Noise of a Ghost

Written in response to: Start your story with the whistle of a kettle.... view prompt

0 comments

Sad Suspense LGBTQ+

This story contains themes or mentions of suicide or self harm.

weeee, The rainfall hit my side like bullets hitting a target, I sat up and the strong wind blew my hair like the grass on the side of a mountain . "Kate, Kate come inside you're going to get sick". A red shoulder-length-haired girl ran to my side.  I simply nodded my head as  I stared at the girl as if I was a child staring at the stars. "Kate come on hurry up we're going to be late". she said and ran past me. I started to run faster until I was running shoulder to shoulder with her. I was staring at her face as I would stare at the clouds in the sky. Suddenly I was pushed and started to roll down the sides of the hill. Mary followed me rolling down the grassy hill, she smiled and laughed with me. It felt like my world opened up.


weeee, I hear a sound too familiar like I should know this sound but I can't quite put my finger on it. Beep beep beep beep my alarm clock sounded like a warning. I looked to my side to see Mary next to me and saw mascara running down her face like she was crying. She was tightly holding on to me like a koala. I remember her coming to my house that day crying about a boy who cheated on her while she was in cheer practice. I promised myself I wouldn't let her hurt like a knight in shining armor. I wouldn't let another person break her heart.


weeee, My heart sank. She sat there terrified as she looked at him and then at me it was my fault and I knew it but I couldn't bring myself to look into her eyes as she looked into mine. Her hazel eyes which were once filled with excitement and happiness were now filled with fear and anger. I tried to explain myself to her but she ran out of the locker room before I could explain anything to her.


weeee, we lay in a bed of flowers as the stars lay in the sky wondering why we cry at night simple shower thoughts but they were so much more meaningful when she shared them with me. That night I had run away from the town with her. I didn't need to know that what I was doing was going to get me in trouble later that didn't matter to me, not at all the only thing that mattered to me at that moment was the look on her face as the wind blew with her hair as the waves crashed on the beach that was not too far from were sitting. I watched the stars in the sky light up as the stars in our hearts connected and before I knew it she was leaning in and so was I when we kissed it was it my heart broke out of its deadly cage and started betting again if I wouldn't trade that moment for the world. I swore that night that if I was ever going to die it was going to be right by her side. 


Weeee, The third bell rang and we changed classes. I was going to the nurse when I heard a scream. I knew that scream was the scream of the one I swore I would protect. I ran as fast as I could towards the scream, not stopping for one second. As I got close enough to feel my heart sink once again there right in front of my eye was Mary, bloody and beaten by a group of girls that looked to be almost twice my age and height but, in my head, none of that mattered nor did I care about it. I was blinded by rage and this overwhelming sense of anger. I took one of the girl's heads and banged it on the water fountain not caring if anything happened to her. I took the second girl and knocked her out, and all the girls started running away. They started to run away as if their life depended on it. After the girls left, I picked Mary up bridal style and started walking toward the nurse unprepared for all the questions she would ask. 


weeee, The sound of a tea kettle blew in the back and suddenly I snapped out of it and remembered what happened I attempted to look on the floor but I couldn't I grabbed my phone and rushed to put in the number for nine one one, About twenty minutes later an ambulance arrived They asked what happened but, I just stood there frozen, shocked and hurt. 'Why would she do that to herself, what happened to her, why wasn't I there, why couldn't I help' My thoughts were louder than my words were no help at all I had to brace myself to speak but no words came out of my mouth. A cop came up to me and asked what had happened and I told her, I had told her how I was coming home from work like always and the tea kettle was going off like always and how I had walked to her body on the floor of our kitchen and tried to lift her cold lifeless body from the floor. I went back to the hospital that night and slept there after getting about three minutes of sleep to a code blue, she had flat-lined. I tried to go in but I couldn't. A nurse stopped me before I could. she had died and there was nothing I could do about it.


I walked to the roof of our house on our twenty-five-story building and dove off as the sound of a tea kettle rang in my ears cause what was life without your other half, your lover, my best friend, and the person I swore to protect I couldn't live without her next to me so I just wouldn't live. When I meet Mary again it will be in heaven.


August 27, 2022 03:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.