0 comments

Fiction Friendship

(Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've just been really busy with school and cheer, so I haven't really been able to post. I know it's annoying, but please bear with me and wait until winter and spring, because I will definitely post more. Anywho, please like and follow and comment for more! I have a few stories planned after this one, so please stay tuned! Thank you and I'll stop now.)

One day I was walking home from a grocery store, when it began to rain. As I did not want my groceries to get wet, so I stepped under the nearest bridge to ensure that they wouldn't. And out of the corner of my eye when the rain had just cleared, I saw something scurrying by. A small, gray furry, cat.

The sad cat had been following me around all week. It was always somewhat sad looking. Well groomed, maybe slightly malnourished, but not hurt or abused. Just sad and not doing well. Overall, you would think the cat was just a normal alley that had no intentions other than survival.

This cat wished as if it were never born, as if it was useless. But it was not. It should not be real, and yet it still seems to survive. Why, it was almost odd that it seemed to go on, even though it would be like it was not really supposed to have a likely chance to stay alive, yet it did. It was curious, how it was. It probably wasn't supposed to be alive, yet here it was.

But the cat was somewhat looked after, at least from what I could tell. But I could hear it every night, not at home. Every time I took walks, there it was. Sometimes it would be on my stoop. Sometimes I feed it, but not very often. It was sad. It seemed I was it's only hope.

Now, do not get me wrong, I have the money, the space, the resources. I had a cat once, when I was quite young and little. But I'm not a rescue. This may be someone else's, (may, but not likely,) and above all else, the cat was not going to be extremely well cared for in my home either. Because, well, first off, I worked all day. I liked waking up late, and while i had few friends and hoped for a companion, the cat would be a big responsibility. I'm not sure if I was ready.

Yet, it continued to find its way to me, nearly every day. For once, instead of shaking it off or walking quickly away, I picked it up. The cat stared deeply into my eyes, seemingly happier. I took the cat home with me that day, and took it to the vet, in hope of finding a tag or some trace of ownership, and get it the care it was going to need. But no, the cat had been abandoned, and the vet said it was perfectly healthy.

What was I to do? No one wanted the cat. No one owned it before. There were no posters or flyers for miles, and the ones that were out had pictures, and this cat looked nothing like those pictures. So, I made my decision. The best decision of my life.

I kept the cat.

So I went to the pet store, and I gathered some materials. I named my companion Geoffe, after my father, who had passed years ago now. And I fed the cat back to health, and it was happy. I'd never had a better friend. I had never been more happy to have the cat in my life, and it required little attention at all.

The cat was happy. I was happy. Geoffe soon became my greatest companion, and I felt like for once in my life there was somebody in my life again. My mother and father passed on when I was in college. I never had any siblings either, and my parents had no other living relatives. After I graduated I lost contact with all of my friends from before. Not having any ties, I moved away and made my own living and got a home.

It had always felt so empty before. I had no worries or cares really. I was sad. Lost, like my only real purpose was work. But when I took Geoffe in, it was all worth it. My life was meant to take care of his. He was meant to take care of me too. Never had I ever thought about it before, but I realized that Geoffe was my true happiness. Until one day, when I met Sam.

I was out getting food for Geoffe, when I bumped into someone in the aisle.

"Oh, excuse me. I'm so sorry," I said quickly.

"No problem," the person said. I looked up, to see who said this. I felt kind of bad, as I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings.

"Hello," I said."

"Hi. I'm Sam." I was pretty sure I was going to die of embarrassment. Sam probably thought I was a dork. But I couldn't help myself.

"So...Do you have a cat too?" I asked, because that was all my brain could come up with.

"Yeah. I love my cat." We went on about our cats for about ten minutes, before I eventually got my cat food cans and realized the store was closing soon, as an associate came up to us and said they would close in fifteen minutes.

"Oh, well, I better be on my way. But, maybe we can meet up sometime, for dinner perhaps?"

"Yeah, I'd love that." We exchanged numbers. The next week we went out for the first time.

It went perfect, and we decided to meet up again the week after. Before I knew it, we were officially together and very much so together. And, after a few years, we got engaged. Eventually, we got married.

If it weren't for that day, when I had met Geoffe, when I had decided to take him in or get him food, I would be so sad, and have no one. I was so glad that I got so blessed with Geoffe, and the same with Sam. I'm so thankful.

October 18, 2023 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.