2 comments

Happy Romance

The bell above the door tinkled welcomingly as he entered the florist’s shop and he paused at the threshold to allow his senses to acclimate to the onslaught of sight and scent. Roses posed prettily in the front window. Chrysanthemums waited patiently for customers in their bucket of water. Sunflowers bloomed in the corner bringing sunlight to an otherwise shadowed nook. The perfume from the garden of flowers mixed pleasantly as he tiptoed carefully to the counter which was partially obscured by the leaves of large ferns. 

A woman bustled out of a backroom holding a large bouquet fated to be held by a blushing bride. The woman’s slightly dirt-smeared face was flushed and matched her bright red hair. A rainbow of ribbons peeked out from one of the pockets of her smock along with shears and floral wire. She was adorned with a plethora of implements to help with arranging some of the most beautiful of Earth’s creations. 

She was startled upon noticing his presence and a hand shot to her chest as if to try to stroke her heart into slowing its unexpected race. He smiled, adding its brightness to the brilliance around the room. They exchanged pleasantries as she plunked the bridal orchids into a waiting container. He explained his predicament to her sympathetic ear while she nodded knowingly and showed him a wide variety of flowers in shades of pretty pink, pure white, and the palest of yellows. His eyes grew to the size of dahlias at the overwhelming choices. She helpfully suggested a particular bouquet, carnations and daisies, every color of spring manifested in a small bundle. He nodded, relying on her gardening expertise and purchased the handful of bright happiness.

He walked down the street to his next destination and inhaled the sweetness in his hand. He imagined her smile, that he worked so hard to encourage, peeking through like a hesitant sun after a retreating storm. 

The scent of chocolate enveloped him as he entered the candy shop. He breathed deeply and admired the way he could pick out each scent: melted cocoa so thick he could almost feel it on his tongue, sharp strawberries complimented the sweetness, and earthy nuts gave a pleasant backdrop to the other scents. They mixed together into a feast for the senses. A woman with glasses and a bob of graying hair that almost matched her eyes waited behind a glass counter with a helpful smile. Caramel turtles, pink butterflies, nonpareils with pastel tops, and truffles filled with every manner of flavors sat in pyramids waiting to delight. He graciously accepted the offered samples and savored the feeling of the chocolate melting in his mouth. He chose some of the delectable delights, most of which were encased into a small brown box wrapped with red and white twine. A few others found their way into a small bag to be indulged in sooner by him. 

White chocolate truffles accompanied him as he strolled out the door to sit on a bench by the shop to watch the world drift by. The bright sunshine shone down from a crystal clear cerulean sky. The songbirds twittered and flitted among the trees that lined the avenue. An elderly couple ambled down the sidewalk hand-in-hand, content to be together even if they exchanged no words. In contrast, a young couple eagerly conversed on a bench a few yards down the road. They sat slightly apart, hesitant and awkward in their budding romance. He smiled, closing his eyes and lolled his head back to rest on the back of the bench, enjoying the quiet beauty all around him. The sun warmed his skin that matched the warmth he felt in his soul. He finished the last tasty morsel of candy and stood, walking to his penultimate destination. 

A small toy store sat at the corner next to the ice cream shop. As he entered, he had to immediately side-step a running child with a small airplane being pursued by a slightly harried looking woman who smiled indulgently. He wandered up and down each aisle admiring the dolls in their pretty pink dresses and the toy cars shiny and red. Crisp books sat on shelves with covers of dogs and cats and elephants going on various adventures. Card games and board games sat in even lines, just waiting to be enjoyed. He perused each choice before finding what he had been looking for. A small teddy bear with a red ribbon necklace sat smiling amid a stuffed animal menagerie. He picked it up, admiring the softness that felt as if he wasn’t touching anything at all. He thought he could see a kind twinkle in the small black beaded eyes. He cradled the tiny animal close as he went to the cashier, walking around the small boy who was intently spinning the propeller of the airplane, oblivious to the world. He paid and placed the bear in his breast pocket, over his heart. He looked at his watch and decided it was time to go to his last destination. 

He put his precious packages in the passenger seat, arranging them carefully to keep the chocolates out of the sun and the flowers from being flattened. As he drove, his heart sped up and he couldn’t contain the smile that broke across his face. Music played softly from the speakers adding to his contentment and growing excitement. He imagined her laughter as he handed her the flowers, her awe at the feel of the teddy bear, and her delight in the chocolates. 

He pulled into the driveway and ran his fingers through his hair in the rearview mirror. He was careful as he carried the bright bouquet, the smiling animal, and delicacies to the door. He rang the doorbell and waited impatiently on the doorstep. 

A woman answered, smiling warmly. She wore an apron decorated with smudges of a rich red sauce and wiped her hands on a dishtowel. She welcomed him in and indicated the dining room as she walked back to the kitchen, where the smell of something sumptuous emanated. He straightened his shirt and walked into the dining room where two place settings were waiting. 

She sat in a chair fidgeting nervously at the hem of her pretty white skirt. Her hair was plaited and held back with barrettes of sparkling silver. She looked up and her face broke into a sweet grin as she looked at the gifts he presented her. She jumped from her chair as she ran to him. She threw her arms around his waist and shouted “Hi, Daddy! I’ve been looking forward to our date all day! Mommy is making chicken!”

March 29, 2023 18:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

21:58 Apr 02, 2023

How lovely! that twist at the end got me good…

Reply

Amy Rosenthal
17:59 Apr 06, 2023

Awesome! I was hoping it wasn't given away too quickly! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.