We Are All Fallen Angels Here

Submitted into Contest #13 in response to: Write a story about an eventful evening of trick-or-treating.... view prompt

0 comments

Kids

I always loved Halloween. It’s been my favourite holiday since I can remember. I love it all! The decorations, the candy and especially the costumes. I enjoy the idea of being able to be whoever you want. It’s positively thrilling! When I finished high school I started a career as a special effects make up artist. This has allowed me to work on a number of horror films. I’ve always been a sucker for a scary movie and a good jump scare.


For the first time in a long time, I don’t actually have any plans for Halloween. My older sister and her husband always go to a friends costume party on Halloween night, leaving their son with a sitter, so this year I wanted to spend it with my nephew, Brian, and take him out trick or treating. I had the most fun trick or treating as a kid and I wanted him to experience the same thing. There will always been another party next year but he won’t be 8 forever. Besides, I could always drop him back with the sitter and head out afterwards.


At around 6pm I arrived at my sister’s place to pick up Brian. Driving to their house I noticed a lot of the houses in the neighbourhood had gone all out for the occasion. Skeletons, half dug up graves, and animatronic ghouls and goblins that jumped out when they sensed someone’s presence. My sister’s house was not decorated. I was disappointed as she always decorated for the occasion. They must have been busy.


I knocked at the door but no one answered. I let myself in and called out. Again no answer. I had noticed that the sitters car wasn’t outside. She does only live a few blocks away so maybe she walked. I took the stairs to the second floor and headed for Brian’s room. The door was ajar so I peaked in but there was no one to be seen.


“Brian! Where are you?”


I turned around and nearly jumped out of my skin. Brian was standing right behind me.


“I’m right here!” He called out and giggled. My shock amused him.


“Brian! You scared me half to death!” I took a breathe and composed myself. “Where is Annie? Isn’t she supposed to be watching you tonight?”


“Annie’s not here, it’s just me.” He looked at his feet as he said this.


That was strange. My sister wouldn’t have left him alone so had Annie left?


“Well I’m here now. Are you ready to go trick or treating? Where’s your costume?”


“I’m a ghost. This is my costume.” He said this very matter of factly. He was wearing blue jeans and a white T-shirt. Kind of lacklustre but if that’s what he wants to do who am I to crush his spirits.


“You don’t have a costume though.” He said as he looked me up and down.


Now it was my turn to be smug. “Oh yes I do!” I pulled a pair of black cat ears from my purse and placed them on my head. “I’m a black cat.” 


He thought for a moment then seemed satisfied.


“So you ready to go now?”


“Yes. But remember I’m a ghost. No one is going to be able to see me so you’ll have to get the candy from the houses.” His costume may not pack a punch but the kid is at least committing to the character.


I grabbed the skull bucket I got for him and headed for the door. A last minute thought occurred to me to leave a note for Annie incase she comes back. Although she would deserve the scare for leaving Brian home allow. No point in causing a panic.


We started down the street and as I walked up to the first house he stood at the end of the driveway.


“Aren’t you going to at least come up to the door with me?”


“No point if they can’t see me.”


Brian had always been shy but never this bad, especially not with me around. I’ll have to talk to my sister about this.


I knocked on the door and waited for an answer. A lovely middle aged woman answered the door. I explained that my nephew was dressed as a ghost for Halloween and wanted me to get the candy for him as ghosts are invisible.


“He’s a little shy.” I whispered to the home owner and motioned to the end of the driveway where he was standing.


She gave me an odd look but obliged and gave me some candy. I thanked her and made my way back to Brian.


I asked a few more times if he would come up to the door with me but he continued to refuse. I wanted him to enjoy himself and so I didn’t pester him. When we made it to the end of the street I went too turn left but was stopped by Brian.


“We need to go this way.” He said as he pointed to the right.


I turned and looked to where he was pointing. This street had not gotten into the Halloween spirit as much as the other street but tonight was about Brian so if he wanted to go right then we would.


After a few houses and a bunch of odd looks I started to feel disheartened. This wasn’t the way I remembered trick or treating.


I turned to ask Brian if he was having fun and noticed he was no longer behind me. I looked around frantically to see where he had gone and noticed him on the opposite side of the street. He was staring at something. I caught up to him to see what he was looking at. The house was not decorated for the occasion but didn’t need to be, it was creepy enough already. It was an old Victorian style home, completely out of place on this street of modern houses. The place looked dark and uninviting, almost like it wasn’t lived in. Then I saw a light flick on in a upstairs window. Brian started to make his way up to the door.


“Brian, lets try another house, it doesn’t seem like they want visitors.”


“But they’re expecting us.” He smiled as he said this.


I felt uneasy but it was the first house he was willing to go to. Besides, I’m not the type to be rattled so easily.


We walked up to the door together. As I was about to knock the door slowly edged open. I froze with my fist mid air, as I had been prepared to knock. Brian walked straight in.


“Brian wait!” I grabbed at him but was too slow. “You can’t just enter a strangers house.”


“They’re not strangers.”


I felt a chill run down my spine. I followed him inside, into what seemed to be a sitting room. The first thing I noticed was the smell, it was a mix of herbs and death. It made my nose itch. The room was dimly lit with the only light source coming from large candelabras placed in the corners of the room. The walls were covered by strange artwork, scenes of murder and gore. One depicted the Devil on top of a mass of dead bodies. In the centre of the room there was a large table covered with a cloth and adorned with what looked like human skulls, black candles and bowls though I couldn’t see the contents. It was surrounded by six chairs. Each chair was positioned on the point of a star which had been drawn on the floor, with the table positioned on top. Was that a pentagram? On either side, of what I now believe is an alter, was six chairs set in rows of two. This was becoming too creepy.


I search the room for Brian but he was no where to be seen.


“Brian! Where did you go? We have to get out of here now!” I called out in a whisper. I didn’t want whoever was here to hear me. I wanted to leave before they noticed our presence.


“Maria! How nice of you to join us.”


I turned and saw Brian standing next Annie.


“Annie? What are you doing here? You were supposed to be babysitting Brian tonight. Why weren’t you at the house when I picked him up?”


She smiled and patted Brian on the head. “We are right were we’re meant to be.”


My reluctance had now become agitation. Had Annie planned this whole thing to try and scare me?


I forced a laugh “Ok you win. It was a good prank, you really had me going. Can we go now?”


They both stared at me, expressions blank. Annie tilted her head to the side as she spoke.


“Whatever do you mean? We can’t leave yet. Not before the ceremony.”


The smile on her face as she spoke made me feel uneasy. She was really committing to this.


“Come on Brian, we’re going now!” As I reached for Brian’s hand I felt a cold sensation on my forearm. I looked down and Annie had a hold of me, her touch as cold as ice, like death.


I pulled away quickly and held my arm. The skin had turned blue and numb from her touch. I stood speechless, unsure of what was happening.


“ I said we can’t leave.” Annie’s voice was steady as she spoke and I knew I wasn’t going anywhere, especially with Brian, without a fight. Brian and Annie both moved towards the chairs positioned to the left of the circle and took a seat.


“You need to go in the middle Maria.” Brian motioned for me to stand in the middle of the circle. I did as he wished.


We stayed here for what felt like eternity but was actually only about 10 minutes. All of a sudden the room was filled with other people, moving, almost gliding, around the room. All taking a seat on either side of the alter where I was standing. Where had they all come from?


I glanced around the room and recognised some faces. Travis Johns, who went missing three years ago on Halloween, same with Stacey Thomas. The Neilman twins were also there, they went missing two years ago. What was this place? Some kind of haven for lost souls?


The six chairs positioned around the alter still remained empty.

There was a chill in the air. I had the sudden realisation that my hands were freezing. I cupped them and tried to warm them up with my breath. How was it this cold? It was quite warm outside.


I jumped as everyone rose from their seats and faced the large, wooden doors on the east side of the room. Six hooded figures emerged. They wore long black robes with a blood red trim. Their faces shielded by the oversized hoods. I couldn’t see their feet under the robes which made them appear to glide along the floor. They each took a place by the remaining six chairs, circling me. Everyone else sat back down.


“Now that everyone is here we may begin.”


I couldn’t see the face of the person who spoke but I could tell he was a man. I also noticed that his robe had gold detailing in the centre of his chest though I couldn’t quite make it out.


“We have gathered here today, on the most unholiest of nights, to pay tribute to our dark lord and saviour by offering up a blood sacrifice.”


A second voice, a woman, I could see a strand of blonde hair creeping out from under her hood.


“This unwilling participant will give herself, blood and body, to the most unholy one.”


Another man, or boy? He sounds like he’s barely hit puberty.


“Once the sacrifice is complete we will all be rewarded by the dark lord for our allegiance.”


Another woman. Her fingernails were black and shaped into sharp points.


I had been frozen still up until this point.


“This really isn’t funny anymore! I’ve had enough and I want to leave!”


My voice shook as I spoke. I had come to the realisation that this may not be some elaborate prank, they really did intend to sacrifice me. How had Brian gotten mixed up in all this.


“Shush! The sacrifice doesn’t get to speak!”


A third woman with a very squeaky voice.


“Don’t be so hard on her. I’m sure this is all very confusing her.”


This was a third man and the final of the cloaked figures. He removed his hood and turned to look at me. The first thing I noticed was the pentagram that was carved into his forehead. It looked like it had been done awhile ago. Besides that he was a young, attractive man with jet black hair and piercing blue eyes. 


“I’m sorry Maria but this is all necessary, for the greater good, etc. You will have to die tonight.”


I stood staring into his eyes, mouth gaping. What the hell was I supposed to say to that?


“I just want to take my nephew and leave. I promise I won’t say anything to anyone!”


I was pleading. Hoping he’ll feel sorry for me and let us leave.


“Brian can’t leave. He’s our family now.”


The attractive man motioned for Brian to step forward. Brian came and stood before me, took my hand and stared into my eyes.


“Don’t be afraid Maria, you’ll like it here I promise. Everyone’s really nice and you can do whatever you want. I was scared too, at first, but I’m ok now. You will be too! I really want you to stay with me. It’ll be way better then that awful hospital you’ve been in. Besides, it’s a lot of fun being a ghost!”


“What are you talking about Brian? You’re not a ghost you’re just pretending. What hospital?”


“Oh my, those drugs they had her on have really done a number on her brain.”


It was the blonde woman who was speaking now.


“Let me explain to you what happened. You bailed on Brian last Halloween for a boozefest so instead he got stuck with Annie. I had promised Annie eternal life and salvation if she bought a sacrifice here on Halloween night, so she brought Brian. They were both sacrificed to the Devil and now get to live forever in unholy bliss. Their bodies were found dumped in the woods, we have no use for them once we remove the organs we need. You went mad with guilt and have been in the asylum ever since. The meds they put you on messed with your memory so bad you keep reliving the night over and over expect, in your new reality, Brian doesn’t die and you’re all happy family.” She rolled her eyes at that. “Brain wanted you to be happy so asked if we could help. We had a guy on the inside who switched up your meds a bit then broke you out and now here you are, ready for eternity.” She smiled at this as she made a big gesture with her hands.


I grabbed for the alter as my legs gave way beneath me. None of that could be true, could it? My head was swimming, I felt nauseas. I realised I couldn’t really remember anything. No recent memories, no recent experiences. I closed my eyes tight and tried to focus. Like a wave it all came flooding back. Bailing on Brian last minute for a party. The fight with my sister. The hysterical phone call from her the next morning. Seeing his mutilated body at the morgue. The police interviews. The funeral. The Hospital. The tears came uncontrollably.


“Great now she’s crying.”


I couldn’t tell who was speaking anymore. I didn’t care. This was all real and it was all my fault. How could I let him down like that? He was dead because of me.


Brian knelt down next to me and wiped the tears from my eyes with his tiny, cold hands.


“I’m so sorry Brian. This is all my fault. Can you ever forgive me?”


He smiled a smile of a boy wise beyond his years.


“There’s nothing to forgive. I’m happy and you will be too. I promise!”


He took my hand and helped me to stand. He motioned for me to lie on the alter and I obliged. I deserved this. I’m a horrible person.


“I know what you’re thinking but this is not a punishment it’s a reward. We are rewarded for serving the dark lord through sins and pain. You are about to be blessed by his most unholyness.”


I didn’t get a chance to figure out who’s voice that was before a cold heat surged through my chest. The sensation is hard to describe, a sweet pain almost. I heard the chanting as I drifted off.


I awoke feeling refreshed, reborn. It was an incredible feeling, euphoric. I sat up and was greeted by Brian.


“So how do you feel? Amazing right?” He was beaming.


“Yeah, I feel pretty good actually.” I glanced down at the alter I was still sitting on and saw the massacre that had been my end, or possibly my beginning. There was blood stains everywhere. the bowls that had been placed around the alter were filled with a variety of my organs, some in tact some that appeared to have bite marks in them.


“So am I some sort of angel now or something?”


The attractive man, who’s name I discovered was Steve, gave a soft chuckle.


“My dear we are all fallen angels here. We serve our dark lord through the pain and suffering of others.”


“Hey Maria! Wanna go haunt Mum and Dad? It’s a lot of fun. They usually cry, it’s hilarious.”


I smiled. “You know what Brian? That sounds like a great idea.”

November 02, 2019 00:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.