0 comments

Fiction Happy

He gazed out towards the horizon, belly full and content. Feeling the warm summer sun on his face with the occasional breeze cooling his fur. Finally being able to rest after the treacherous journey he had to endure for a meal. Sniffing the warm air, he finally laid his head to rest against the comforting grass. As his eyelids begin their slow descent a step could be heard beside the lumbering beast. With a twitch of an ear and a quick head turn the beast could see who had made the approach. A lone highland cow cautiously sniffs the beast unable to see through the curtain of fur around its eyes. Quickly stepping back when hearing the grizzly huff at its direction. There was a small pause. Either one is too hesitant of each other as they take note of their scents. 

Feeling unbothered by the livestock, the bear laid its head back down onto the grass, feeling too full to attempt any sort of attack towards the gentle beast. Beginning to dose off he suddenly feels the cow lay down next to him. Looking over and sniffing the highlands horns, it lets out a small huff. Finding comfort in the predator's presence. Much to the cows surprise the bear politely grooms its fur out of its eyes then proceeds to lay onto his back after being satisfied with his care.

The sun begins to set beautifully as the two sit in the other's company. Not exactly wanting to leave unless the other grew bothered. A tiny bellow could be caught in the nearby forestry, almost immediately the highland gets up, rousing up the bear from his slumber. He looked on as he witnessed the cow become frantic. Looking hastily through the brush and tall grass before grunting out to the small sound it had heard. Periodically going silent to hear the tiny creature once more.

The bear stretched before deciding to follow sluggishly behind the highland, yawning and shaking his head to further wake himself up. He picked up his pace to walk beside the cow and found himself looking with it for the source of the little cow that sounded as though it were stuck. It seemed to be days until the bear decided to stand on his hind legs and scope out the ground where he found a ball of fur curled into itself. Falling back down onto his front paws the bear lightly nudged the cow and led her over. Sniffing the air the bear made the realization for why the highland had become so frantic. It was made much more apparent as the pair grew closer that the highland was separated by its calf on its journey through the thick shrubbery. 

Once the calf took notice of its mother it immediately got up and softly grunted at the heifer. Its mother responded back with her own groan. Grooming the calf’s face the highland looked over at the bear and brought her child over to him. Cautiously letting the bear have a look at her precious baby. The calf huffed a puff of air at the bear and courageously approached the beast. 

The bear sat down in front of the calf and proceeded to let the calf inspect him properly. The bear made short work of acknowledging the calf, finding more interest in scratching his back against the bark of a large oak trunk. Looking over at the grown highland, the bear grunted and headed towards a direction. With little hesitation, the calf followed alongside its mother as she made her way over with the bear. Periodically stopping to have a little snack of fresh grass and to make sure her calf was still by her side. 

Before the cow and her calf had decided to go their separate ways from the bear the sound of rushing water was taken into account. The grizzly huffed softly at the two and led them toward the river for a drink. Running over and splashing into the water, the bear shook his now soaked fur. Attempting to invite the livestock into the refreshing river. 

The calf looked over at its mother for approval to join the bear in the water. Giving out a small bellow the highland simply walked over to the river and splashed the calf with her horn. Giving her child permission to enjoy the moment how it wished. Once the calf made its way near the water, it hopped around in delight. Splashing its hooves around in the water feeling joyous. In the excitement, the calf bellowed as loud as it could. Pushing water with its nose to splash its mother. Occasionally splashing the bear as well, the calf shook off the excess water in its fur and stood there for a second. Huffing softly before watching the nearby birds fly across the sunset sky. The grown highland made its way over to the bear and grunted quietly and nudged her nose to his snout in a thankful gesture. Giving the bear his space she trotted back towards her calf and proceeded to splash the water under her hooves towards the baby. Watching as the calf bounced around, kicking its hind legs behind itself in utter glee. 

Seeing the two enjoying the river, the bear watched carefully at the water near the edge. Patiently waiting for a snack to rush up the raging waterfall a far distance from the highlands. Shaking off some water drops that had begun to tickle the bear's face. Causing him unnecessary discomfort when he was attempting to concentrate. Not making any noises except for the passing sounds of his breath. Grumbling as he lazily took a seat in the cool pool of water, sniffing the air at the birds. Right as he was going to check onto the two highlands he heard a splash in front of him. Almost instantly recognizing what had made the noise he got up on all fours. Observing over the waterfall with the most determination he’s ever had. Within seconds, salmon could be seen jumping up the treacherous water. Not knowing their unfortunate fate if they just so happen to jump at an inopportune time. 

As this scene plays out, the calf's attention is fully drawn to the sudden shift in the bear's posture. Enthralled by the nature of such a successful predator that has shown no interest in giving the calf or its mother a short life lived. The calf’s full focus in watching the grizzly was immediately brought over to a butterfly that had decided to land on its nose. Tickling the little creature resulted in the young highland sneezing loud enough for its mother to look over with alertness. Relaxing once she saw that her child was still safe, leaning back down to chew on some grass.

April 29, 2022 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.