0 comments

African American Black Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

  Warning: Abuse, murder, mental health.


It never rained in the town of Oddinn, South Carolina. Well, it never rained actual rain. Instead, seeds fell from the sky. Amazing seeds. Seeds that gave the people their Flowerfrins. And once again, the fluffy, mint green clouds were here. Hovering over Oddinn, raining down a shower of glossy, golden seeds.

  The people of Oddinn, beautiful and Black, filled the streets with joy as the much anticipated rain of seeds came cascading from the sky. Many of them with their children: new generations of townsfolk who were awaiting their Flowerfrins.

  The seeds were warm and soft to the touch. Nothing like the pricking stab from the thorny bushes that grew throughout the forest on the far side of town. Once the seeds touched the ground, they quickly sank into the soil, instantly blooming into a bright green seedling.


  Rossie, her husband, Jayve, and their two young children, Mernie, and Cassus were amongst the many townsfolk that were standing outside as the seed rain fell. Mernie was held softly in Jayve’s powerful arms. Her bright brown eyes filled with wonder as she held out her little hand, smiling, eager to feel the seeds against her rich, umber brown skin, the same shade as her father’s. Cassus on the other hand was hugged up against Rossie’s leg, wary of the seeds falling from the sky as if he had never seen them before. He had always been a cautious little boy. He looked up at Rossie with eyes that begged his mother to reassure him that he was safe. Rossie looked down at her son and smiled, his sepia brown skin the same hue as hers.


  She caressed his cheek. “Everything is alright, Cassus. The seeds won’t hurt you. See?”


  She held out a hand to show how harmless the seeds were.


  “And look at how happy your sister, Daddy, and everybody else is.”


  Cassus peeked over at Mernie and Jayve, then looked around at everyone else. A subtle, innocent smile showed on Cassus’s face after that. He even held his tiny hand out, though he wasn’t as eager to embrace the seeds like his sister was.


  Rossie smiled. “Soon, you and Mernie will have your own Flowerfrins rising from the soil too. They’ll stay right by your side for all your days. Just like me and Daddy’s.”


  Rossie, Jayve, and every other adult and older child in the town all had a Flowerfrin floating by their side. They were beautiful, plant creatures with bodies rich and brown, like wood and soil, and gorgeous flowers covered their heads, arms, and back. All of them came in different shapes and sizes too, just like their townsfolk companions of Oddinn.

  Rossie’s Flowerfrin sat perched on her left shoulder, lithe and dainty, with a bloom of periwinkle Tulips on its body. It was looking down, smiling at Cassus, swinging its tiny feet to-and-fro. Jayve’s Flowerfrin floated beside him with its arms folded. Its body was more like a tree—strong and sturdy—with branches of maroon blossoms growing from it. Rossie’s father said something that always stuck with her ever since she heard him say it. Your Flowerfrin is you, Rossie. Never forget that. Having gained some years and maturity under her belt, Rossie came to realize that he was right. But her mother said something even more profound: Ain’t nothin’ worse than folks with too many smiles, and hindered blooms. They’re nothin’ but poison to the world. She said it only once while walking with Rossie on the far side of town, looking over at the forest. Her Flowerfrin floating beside her and looking over too; it’s scarlet red daisies glowing like fire in the dead of night.

  Throughout her young, thirty-three years of life, Rossie had never encountered any folks with too many smiles, and hindered blooms. So she never fully understood why her mother said that. But, just like with all things, time would probably reveal it to her.


  As the seed rain petered out, Rossie noticed someone looking at her out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head to see who it was. It was Ellra, one of Rossie’s neighbors. Rossie didn’t know much about her; they weren’t close friends or anything. But they were always cordial with each other, and Rossie knew that she had a husband and two young children, just like her. But Ellra’s husband wasn’t with her. Just her two five year old twin boys who, surprisingly, looked a bit afraid for some reason.

  Rossie gave Ellra a soft smile, and a wave. Ellra returned with her own smile and wave. Something about the way her smile stretched across her face intrigued Rossie, but also made her feel a bit strange. Rossie dismissed the feeling though. Ellra told her boys to stay put, then walked towards Rossie in a graceful stride, the yellow dress draped over her russet brown skin flowing as she did. And her Flowerfrin floated proudly beside her, with vibrant purple windflowers bloomed on it.


  “Good to see you, Rossie,” Ellra said. She glanced down at Cassus who shyly stepped behind Rossie as she looked at him. “You and your husband out here with your little ones, I see. I know they can’t wait to get a Flowerfrin of their own.”


  “Well our daughter definitely can’t wait. Our son may take a little time to get used to his though,” Rossie said, giving Cassus a little head rub. “How are you and your family?” 


  With a blissful expression, Ellra took a deep breath, then exhaled. “Oh, we’re doing amazing.” The looks on her sons’ faces said otherwise, Rossie thought. And she wondered why Ellra didn’t bring them over to say hi.


  “Well that’s good. It’s unfortunate your husband couldn’t catch the seed rain with you and your boys today, though,” Rossie said. “Guess he—”


  Ellra cut off Rossie sharp and quick. “He’s doing fine. He’s just at work.”


  She was still smiling at Rossie, though another emotion was hiding behind it. Irritation maybe, Rossie thought. At that moment, Rossie saw one of the windflowers on Ellra’s Flowerfrin go a little limp. She didn’t mention it to Ellra though.


  “I see,” Rossie said. “Maybe he’ll be with you next time.”


  “Surely,” Ellra said. “Well, I’d best be on my way. I’m headed to the butcher to pick up a nice cut of brisket. My husband and the boys want roast for dinner tonight. I’ll see you around, Rossie.”


  “See you around, Ellra.”


  Ellra turned around and made her way back to her boys, telling them to come along now. They followed behind their mother, but one of the boys turned and looked back at Rossie. His eyes were as sorrowful as ever.


  It was Thursday, and Rossie was out sitting by the lake at the town park, reading like she always did on Thursday afternoons. The Flowerfrins from the previous seed fall had finally risen from the soil, and the children were with Jayve. Playing at the playground with their very own Flowerfrins, having the time of their lives. Two elderly ladies came and sat on the bench next to Rossie. Both of them with skin as dark as bister brown, and Flowerfrins with marigolds as yellow as canaries. Sisters, Rossie thought. The moment they sat down, gossip poured from their lips. The topic pulled Rossie in, and the book she was reading became an afterthought.


  “Honey, that Ellra girl is a strange one.”


  “Oh I know. You don’t have to tell me twice. I just feel bad for the babies.”


  “And her husband always looks so tired when I see them together.”


  “Tired, defeated, fed up. Chile, that woman must be sucking the life out of him.”


  “And she got the nerve to always have that damn smile on her face.”


  “Her husband better run while he still can, and take his sons too.”


  “Ole wicked woman. No wonder he’s always going home so late.”


  “Honey, I wouldn’t be surprised if we found out she was one of those hags of the forest momma and daddy used to tell us about.”


  Her sister burst out laughing. “Girl, you better stop with that ole superstition!”


  Rossie felt she had heard enough. She got up from her bench and went on her way, with the elderly ladies still cackling behind her. But what they had said made her wonder….



  It was evening now, around eight-thirty. Rossie and Jayve had put the kids to bed, and were now lounging out on their front porch with their Flowerfrins. Sitting in silence, being in each other’s presence without having to say a word. It was one of Rossie’s favorite things about their relationship, especially since she was always the type of woman that loved sitting in the quiet. Ellra and her family’s house was across the street from Rossie’s, and sat diagonally from hers.

  Rossie and Jayve watched as a car pulled into Ellra’s driveway, and parked. A tall, hefty man with a bald head, and umber brown skin stepped out of it, closing the door, then locking it with a press of a button on his keys. It was Ellra’s husband. His Flowerfrin was laid over his shoulder with a bloom of green hydrangeas atop it. Slump shouldered, he stood in the driveway for a moment, staring at his home. With a depressing shake of his head, he made his way up to the front door. Before he could even open it, Ellra snatched it open, standing rigid and cold, looking at him. There was no kiss, no hug. They just stared at each other until Ellra moved aside, and let him through. The door slammed shut after. Unfortunate, Rossie thought.

  It was nine-thirty now, and Rossie was getting ready to head upstairs to bed when she suddenly heard the loud shatter of breaking glass outside. The cry of children, and the angry yells of a man and woman followed. Rossie quickly pulled her curtain to the side and peered out the window. It was Ellra and her husband.


  “So you're just going to shatter our windows like that, Willyn?! What’s the matter with you?” Ellra said.


  One of their sons was held in her clutches, squirming and trying to free himself. “Daddy! Daddy!” he said.


  Ellra’s husband, Willyn, was holding their other son is his arms and heading to his car, his Flowerfrin swiftly floating behind him. “You’re an evil woman, Ellra! Sinister!” he said. “I don’t know why I even married you!”


  Ellra scoffed. “Because you were in love of course. And who could blame you? Look at me. I’m stunning.”


  Willyn put their son in the back seat of the car, then turned and headed back towards Ellra. “I’m taking the boys, and we’re leaving,”


  “You can take Kaylivv. He’s my least favorite of the two anyway,” Ellra said. “Khaleem stays with me.”


  “No. I’m taking both of them.”


  While still clutching onto their son, Khaleem, Rossie saw Ellra reach for something out of view. She looked back at Willyn, now holding a pair of scissors in her hands.


  “You try and take Khaleem, and I’ll kill you dead.”


  Willyn halted. Reluctantly, he slowly backed away to his car.


  “Daddy no! Take me!” Khaleem cried.


  “Shut up!” Ellra hissed.


  “Daddy will be back for you, Khaleem. Don’t worry,” Willyn said.


  He then got into his car, and drove off. Ellra yanked Khaleem back into the house, slamming the door shut. Jayve came rushing down the steps.


  “Rossie, who were those folks hollering outside like that?”


  “Ellra and her husband,” Rossie said, still looking out the window. “They had a bit of a… disagreement.”


  “Huh... Well, let’s get to bed. Ain’t no need in staying up now that it’s over.”


  Rossie could tell Jayve was concerned, but he was also a man that didn’t like dabbling much in other folks business. So he waved the issue away. Rossie followed him back upstairs to their bedroom. As she laid in bed, she thought to herself. Ellra may just be a wicked woman.


  It was morning, and Rossie was cooking breakfast for her and the kids. Jayve had already left for work. She had the curtains open. Willyn’s car was still gone, and she saw the busted windows in the front of their house. But Rossie did a good job at keeping her mind from wandering into curiosity, and eyeing over at Ellra’s house too much. Rossie served her kids breakfast. Her Flowerfrin suddenly squeaked to get her attention.


  “What is it Periwinkle?”


  Rossie’s Flowerfrin pointed to the window. Rossie looked, and saw Ellra looking out her own window, staring dead at her. Her Flowerfrin floated stiffly beside her; more of its flowers were limp. Rossie froze, staring back. A smile suddenly curled onto Ellra’s face, and she waved. A fleeting smile ran across Rossie’s face, and she waved in a rush. She closed her curtains after.


  It was Saturday afternoon, and Rossie was at the supermarket. She thought she’d do a bit of shopping to take her mind off things, but she was still a bit troubled by what happened Friday morning. She wondered, why was Ellra standing there like that? Staring at me like that? The quick patter of a child’s footsteps, and the hiss of an agitated mother pulled Rossie out of her thoughts.


  Rossie looked, and saw Khaleem bolting across the floor, fear riddled through his eyes. He saw Rossie, and didn’t hesitate to stop, and hide behind her. Rossie looked at him, and noticed scratches running up both his arms, some even on his face. A moment later, someone else came stepping out of an aisle. It was Ellra.


  “Khaleem, if you don’t get back here right now, I’ll—”


  Ellra’s cursing stopped once she saw Rossie standing there, and Khaleem cowering behind her. The two women met eyes. For a second, no words passed between them, then a nasty smile cut across Ellra’s face. A few of her teeth brown.


  “Rossie. Nice to see you.” Ellra said.


  “Nice to see you, Ellra…” Rossie replied.


  Ellra walked towards Rossie, dressed in a blue dress, and white shawl. Her russet skin wasn’t radiant anymore. It was now ashen and sickly. There was a slight hunch in her back, and her afro was now thin and sparse. Her lithe, healthy figure had taken on a more gaunt appearance. And her sky blue painted nails were like long, sharp, daggers tipping crone-ish fingers. But still, she held her head high and proud. Her Flowerfrin no longer looked like rich, healthy soil. Its lower half was dry and crumbly, like soil barren of plant life. Some of its windflowers were completely gone now, some were drooping with missing petals, and only a few left were beautiful and healthy. Just like Ellra though, it floated beside her with a haughty air.


  “I’ll take my son now,” Ellra said. She tilted her head with a quick twitch, and looked at Rossie with bulbous, wide eyes. Unstable, Rossie thought.


  Khaleem clenched the side of Rossie’s pants tighter. Rossie looked down at him, then looked back at Ellra, who darted her eyes down at her son then back up at Rossie. For a second, Ellra’s face was twisted in a snarl, but she swiftly curled it back into a smile.


  “Whatever you’re doing, Ellra, you need to stop it. Get some help,” Rossie said.


  “You telling me how to live my life, and raise my child, Rossie?” Ellra said, as she stepped dangerously close to Rossie face. Her tone was vile and grating.


  “Just a bit of advice,” Rossie said. Unmoved.


  “I don’t need it. Now give me my son,” Ellra spat.


  The lights above them suddenly flickered and popped, surrounding the two women in dimness. Rossie’s stern expression faltered for a second, allowing fear to live on her face for moment. Still glaring at Rossie with a smile, Ellra snatched Khaleem from Rossie’s side, and dragged him close.


  “Nice talking with you, Rossie,” Ellra said. She then turned and left.


   Ellra’s reunion with Khaleem didn’t last long though. That night, Rossie and her family watched as Willyn, and the authorities took Khaleem away from Ellra. She fought and screamed, trying to stop them, but to no avail. That night, Ellra let out a scream that pierced through the night. There was a strange ring within it. Something that sounded less human, and more like something else…


  A few weeks had passed, and curiosity still clung to Rossie. She found herself watching Ellra’s house more than she should’ve, wondering how she was doing. But she never went to see. One night while out on her porch, Rossie saw Ellra leave her house, veiled in a black cloak. Her steps were swift. Rossie decided to follow.

  Like a cat stalking prey, Rossie followed Ellra all the way to the far side of town, unnoticed. Up a hill, Rossie saw the tall, dense trees at the forest edge. As Ellra scurried up the hill, Rossie followed. When Rossie got to the top, she saw something that chilled her to the bone. A fire crackled under the night sky. Hanging from the front of a tree with a giant, woody, thorn pierced through his chest was Willyn. Ellra’s sons were bound tightly in thorny vines, bloody. Neither of them were moving.


  “Ellra?” Rossie said, her voice shaky.


  Ellra turned around, as her cloak slipped away. Her wild eyes staring at Rossie. Ellra was now a grotesque thing. Hunched over and haggish, with nasty, bulbous growths on her skin, and ragged nails that were more like claws. Her Flowerfrin was dry and crumbly, like a husk. All its flowers dead.


   Ellra smiled, revealing a mouth full of rotted teeth. “Rossie. Your bloom is still as gorgeous as ever. Just like mine.”


  Four short words left Rossie’s lips.


  “What have you become….”

March 01, 2024 03:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.