2 comments

Fiction Sad

The sizzle of the onion wafted into the air and the hissing rippled across the ghost quiet living room right to my bedroom. My nostrils vacuumed the aroma and it dissolved into my soul sending tremors all over my body. My feet slid into my wool slides with a slump and my stomach bellowed towards the tantalizing phenomenon that was burning my taste buds. 


My eyes fell on her as I made the turn to the living room. The smile planted across her caramel brown face melted my bones but the aroma compelled me to move closer. I slouched over to the kitchen right across the living room and stood right next to her, the aroma now swirling in my blood and sending my nerves in a frenzy. My hands clutched around her hour glass figure as I drew closer and my cracked thin lips touched her neck.


“Ouch”


“What?”


“Your lips are scratching my neck Ethan” she said with a soft moan that dampened my senses.


I rolled over my eyes and playfully rubbed my lips all over her neck. She giggled softly and playfully.


“You keep doing that then I’ll eat my stir fry alone and you’ll do the dishes.”


“I’d rather do you. These hands are made to scroll over that beautiful body not some lousy dishes” I said now kissing her casually on the chicks. She just giggled again. With every breath she took as I stood next to her I could feel rose mint fusing with the aroma. I released my clutch on her and headed to the living room feeling the world at my feet. I threw myself onto the couch and turned on the cable for some sporting entertainment.  


********


The leaves crunched beneath me and the wind bit my face. My hands shoveled into my shallow pockets but, the mere thought of her baked me. I stood outside staring at her house trying to cross over the thin line between knocking on the front door or running for my life. At only 8 years I swear she was the most beautiful thing my eyes had ever seen. The front door creaked and cracked to let out a stream of light that showered my gaudy frame. My heart almost flung out of my mouth and when a paunchy man popped out my legs melted. His head was fixed on his phone. By some miracle I managed to slip away.


“Ethan and Chantelle sittin on a tree k-i-s”


“Would you shut up Cole!” 


“Wha-a-a-t I’m just stating facts sick puppy.”


“I swear if you don’t shush I’m gonna rip that trap right off that damn face. Say one more word.”


“Shhshh it ain’t a crime you know.”


“On that same order please stop stalking me would you.”


“Like you give that innocent girl a break.”


“You are now on my nerves Cole and I’m gonna snap on you and give you the horrors of hell.”


“And Cole went M.I.A”


“You’d better.”


The golden glare bathed me and my skin was a brown tan. I stood on the same spot and I was in the same predicament as earlier only now a bit more awkward and older than before. The metallic essence of my braces made me feel light headed and beads of sweat were trickling down my temples. The front door opened slowly and I froze completely. She came out.


The earth stood still 

My heart went numb and skipped several beats 

My life flashed before my eyes

She was to be my past, present and future

I felt a longing 

Every fiber on me yearned for her

Only a moment but I travelled through galaxies looking into her light hazel eyes


“Hi” she said her lips softening into an easy smile. 


My nerves were shot and my tongue felt heavy. I was a statue on her front door.


“Hey” she said again with a less reassuring smile as creases of confusion started drawing on her forehead. 


“Cat got your tongue….?”


I remained silent staring straight into her unbelievable eyes. The atmosphere was dense and I could feel her discomfort growing on me as her eyes riveted from side to side.


“Hey hey Chantelle” Cole came from the rear clutching his arm onto my shoulder.


“Oh hey Cole how are you holding up?”


“Fine fine, sorry for my brother here, he’s been on medication and it has shaken him a bit”


“Ohh so sorry to hear that.”


“It’s fine really. He’s having a hard time adjusting to his regular but these days he is getting better. I’m sorry for the trouble he’s caused you.”


“Ohh don’t worry about that I didn’t know he was sick. I hope he gets well soon.”


“Thanks.”


Cole dragged me home. I was so embarrassed that I wished I could jump out of my skin. I greatly resented myself for how things transpired and having Cole to save me was more salt on my wounds.


“A thank you would be nice for once.”


“If I wanted your help I could’ve said so.”


“Real mature Ethan. You had everything under control that much I could see. Except that you made that girl feel like shit with your zombie stance.”


“Just mind your own business.”


“She lives right next door dude and if you can’t hold a proper conversation with her why can’t you write to her how you feel.”


I sat on the dining stool staring blankly onto the walls in front of me.


“Look man, I know you don’t like me poking my nose into your business but, enough is enough. Consider another plan and make her know how you feel about her.”


*****


Dear Chantelle 


Seeing you is like a breath of fresh air. You’re so refreshing I can’t think of any other way to start my day. I could go on about how beautiful you are but I guess you already know that. Every other night when I look into the sky I see a million versions of you spread across the cosmos. 


What worth am I? I only have a seething full heart willing to deposit insatiable emotion into your happiness account. I’ve seen you so many times but I guess my heart wanted to be the one to give you the message not my mouth.


Ethan.


One thing led to another and before I knew it, I had achieved greatly in my little life, more than I could ever bargain for.


*****


The rich cocoa flooded the cosy corner office and the air was warm with a sweet scent. I sank into the couch my legs spread across to rest onto the couch arm rests while my hands were tucked below my head. My crimson tie lay on my belly and a few buttons were undone on my shirt. 


“So she just left you?”


 “Yes, and I don’t blame her one bit.”


“Why is it so?”


“I was obsessed with how to make her love me more and in doing so I think I was pushing her away. I became too good to her. She messed up, it was my fault and although she did admit her wrongdoing I always took the blame. Yes, I wanted more love from her but instead she began hating me.”


“Okay Ethan, this issue ……..”


“Sorry doc I gotta jet.”


“But …..”


“Thank you for your time.”


The windows were misty with smoke dancing inside. I rushed towards the front door and opened it. My throat was packed with smoke and my eyes stung. My nostrils splitted and my gut coiled to this pungent air. I had forgotten to switch off the stove. I opened doors and windows and went to the smoke laden living room. My cheeks felt an unusual moist cold itch on either sides. The love was gone, I could smell it.



September 29, 2023 21:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Kundai Mwoyo
13:01 Sep 30, 2023

This is a good piece.🙏

Reply

18:06 Sep 30, 2023

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.