3 comments

Fiction

       The mid-autumn day was almost as perfect as anyone could ask. The sun in a brilliant blue sky emitted a gentle warmth that tempered the slight chill of the October air. The sunlight baked the red and yellow-hued leaves of the oak and maple trees that now gave off a musky, earthy scent. The aged and somber parade of three sorrowful participants snaked around the yard, coming to a halt several times. The head of the trio stopped to gather strength to continue or to inspect landmarks of interest. It was slow progress. 

         The leader of the pack limped along at a snail’s pace where he used to cover the distance of the two acre plot at lightning fast speed. His once bright brown eyes were now sunken due to illness and pain. His curly golden frame carried an extra 20 pounds not so long ago, but the cancer had taken away his appetite. 

       Adam and Nancy followed a respectful distance behind, giving their beloved canine companion of fourteen years the time and space to make the last proper inspection of his territory. 

         Nancy pushed wisps of gray hair from her eyes and laughed through her tears when Eros stopped at the cement bulldog statue and lifted his leg for the millionth time, emitting a small yellow stream on its stone base. The statue was in a picturesque garden shaded by four Macintosh apple trees. The rotting fruit on the ground was mushy and attracted the attention of the yellow jackets, who weren't deterred from their feast. The sweet pungent smell of the apples enhanced the beauty of the day. Nancy was always struck by the irony that Eros loved to pee on the memorial to the many pets buried here over the years. She wasn't sure if Eros was expressing bragging rights that he was top dog or was paying tribute to those who had come before. She uttered a general prayer that encompassed all the animals buried here, not wanting to leave anyone out. The only exception was the name of Bodacious, their first pet and savior. 

       The trio wound their way to Eros’ favorite tree, the grand old locust. It was at least 150 years old and showing its age. Eros and every other dog that ventured on the property were attracted to it, retaining the scents of the small mammals and rodents that sheltered in the large hole in the base. Eros paid respect by giving it a sniff with his flaring nostrils. 

          Eros let out a small whimper of pain as their journey continued. Adam and Nancy rushed to his side out of concern, but Eros forged slowly ahead. Adam's blue eyes watered and a single tear trickled down his wrinkled face. 

          Eros neared the old red farmhouse that had been his home the last fourteen  of his fifteen years. His favorite stop was twenty yards from the door. It was the large concrete patio that held Adam's elaborate grill. Eros’ job was sous chef and he sampled the stray bits of steak, chicken or hamburgers that dropped or were thrown his way. Adam kicked himself and said, “Damn ! I should have grilled him a steak. “

      At the patio's edge, veterinarian Sandy  waited by Eros’ doghouse for the three to return. Eros’ favorite dog bed- now that jumping up on Adam's and Nancy's bed was too challenging- was set up by the doghouse, absorbing the warmth of the afternoon sun. Sandy moved a discreet distance away to give them privacy. Even  Eros seemed to sense it was time and collapsed into the soft padding of the bed.

       Nancy and Adam positioned themselves on either side of Eros. Nancy recalled with a trembling voice, “ I remember his first day here. He was a leftover from that horrible Labradoodle puppy mill, starving and afraid of his own shadow. “

       Adam said quietly, “It took so long for him to trust us. He is our velcro dog, never wanting to be far from our sides. I hope wherever his next journey takes him, there is someone to watch over him.”

       Sandy looked over and Adam said, ”We're ready. “

        Sandy approached the group with her bag. She knelt down and Eros licked her hand. She removed two syringes from the kit and said, “You're doing the right thing. He's in a lot of pain and wouldn't last much longer. This is much more humane than the suffering many people go through. You've been so good to him and gave him a fighting chance. “ 

         Adam and Nancy ran their hands over Eros ‘ soft silky golden coat and murmured soothingly to him as Sandy administered the first shot to knock him out. The pain Eros felt instantly disappeared but the distress of leaving Adam and Nancy permeated every nerve and fiber of his being. When the second shot came, his final thought was, “Please don't let me be parted from them.” The stellar fall day became gray except for a pinpoint of light. Eros emerged from his coma and walked backwards towards the light, which gradually became brighter and brighter. The gray gradually faded and was replaced by a rapidly moving and evolving landscape on all sides. When the phenomenon stopped, Eros found himself outside of Adam and Nancy's door. He barked loudly and repeatedly. 

       Adam was dressed in his bright neon blue tracksuit, waiting for the timer in the farmhouse kitchen that needed renovation. He and Nancy moved in two years ago, just after their marriage. Money was tight and some things just had to wait. He poured his latest experiment from the blender into two large glasses. The neon-orange beverage topped off with white foam filled him with excitement. “Nancy, I think this is the right combo for an Orange Julius. Awesome !”

           Receiving no response, Adam carried a glass into the living room for Nancy to sample. MTV was playing ,

 “ Like a Virgin”, by Madonna. Nancy and her brown curls, thanks to a recent perm, were bouncing up and down instead to the beat of the song on her Sony Walkman.  Adam smiled at the sight of Nancy exercising in her leotard, headband and leg warmers, oblivious to everything around her. He had to tap her on the shoulder to get her attention. 

             Nancy took the headphones off her ears which were blasting, “Let's Get Physical,” by Olivia Newton John. She took the proffered glass, sampled it and said,”Bitchin ! “

        Adam grabbed the gaming system off the entertainment center and said, “ I'm gonna chill and play some Nintendo. “ He headed for the hand-me-down sofa and started to plop his 6’3” frame onto the plaid cushion. He said suddenly, “ I hear something outside! “ The pair went to the door and saw the curly yellow dog looking expectantly at the house. They hurried at breakneck speed to check him out. 

         Adam and Nancy looked the dog over while he jumped on them and licked their hands like he was their long-lost friend. Adam exclaimed, “ Gnarly !”

          Nancy said, “ Yeah, he could use a good brushing. I wonder where he came from or if he belongs to anyone. “

       Adam said, “ I wasn't talking about his coat. He's awesome but he looks soooo weird. He looks like a cross between a Poodle and a Golden Labrador. Who the hell would mix those breeds?”

           Nancy said, “ He's totally tubular. Maybe he'd be good for people with allergies, since poodles have hair instead of fur. Maybe he would be called a Labradoodle. “

        Adam said, “ That's so lame. This mutt combo will never catch on. If anything, he would be called a Poodledor. We'll bring him inside in the meantime. “

           The Labradoodle followed them inside, ecstatic to be reunited with his owners. However, he was greatly troubled that they didn't recognize him. They did look a lot different- they walked faster, talked loudly and more excitedly and both had more and bigger hair and less wrinkles. However, their smell was unmistakable. The house was more sparsely furnished and decorated with cheap posters and mismatched sofas and chairs.

       The Labradoodle made his rounds around the house, checking out the familiar yet foreign territory. There was no sign of his dish, toys or beloved dog bed. The situation required further thought. 

       The Labradoodle sat and pondered while Adam and Nancy stared at him and discussed the next steps. He thought, “The last thing I remember was the shot putting an end to my suffering. I didn't leave home but feel much different- younger, like I did after Adam and Nancy nursed me back to health. They are way younger themselves and seem to be about Jenna's age.”

          He looked at the wall space that used to be filled with several framed pictures of the couple's daughter, Jenna. Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson posters hung there now. 

        The Labradoodle summoned his canine instincts and wiles to make sense of the situation. “ My dying wish of not being parted from Adam and Nancy seems to have been granted and I have traveled back in time to be with them. They don't recognize me and might decide not to keep me.”

        As if reading the Labradoodle's mind, Adam said, “He might have an owner looking for him. We can't afford a dog and also party hearty on our trip to Maui. Somebody would have to watch him for the three weeks we'd be gone. We have to put the deposit down for the room pretty soon. “

      Nancy said, “Totally !”

      There was a loud jangling noise coming from the kitchen. “ I’ve got it, “ yelled Nancy as she raced to answer the phone in the kitchen. 

       Adam stroked the Labradoodle’s curly coat and talked to him while they listened to bits of Nancy's conversation. The dog observed that the younger Adam seemed to pet and talk to him more.The personal cell phones that seemed to be a permanent fixture in his owners’ hands in his previous life hadn't been invented yet. 

        Nancy hung up the phone and said, “That was Kevin. He's got a brand new beautiful Cabbage Patch doll he's willing to sell us. He's only asking $100 - we're so lucky to live so close to Amsterdam and have a connection in the Coleco factory that can get us these great investments. “

        Adam said, “You didn't say yes ! “

        Nancy responded, “ Don't have a cow. I told him we'd think about it. “ 

          Adam argued, “ I think that Star Wars toys would be more collectable. Steve has two Obi-Wan Kenobi figures with Lightsabers in the original boxes that he's offering a little over cost. “

          Nancy shuddered and said, “Gag me with a spoon, Adam. Nobody will want those.”

       Adam said, “ The dog is probably hungry. Why don't I make us all some burgers until we decide what to do with him tomorrow?”

         Nancy said, “Awesome. I looked in the phone book and got the number for the Ballston Spa Veterinary Hospital. We've got an appointment for tomorrow morning before work. The vet is new to the practice and her name is Sandy. “

       Adam said, “That'll cost a kazillion dollars. Why don't we just drop him off at the pound tomorrow? “

        Nancy said, “Don't spazz out Adam. We agreed we weren't making any hasty decisions. We'll spend $100 less on Maui, that's all.”

          Nancy fashioned a makeshift leash and collar out of two of her narrow belts and a piece of rope. She and the Labradoodle toured the yard while Adam grilled the hamburgers. The pair breathed in  the uncommonly brilliant fall day. She felt a bond growing between her and their canine companion. 

        Adam delighted in the dog's appreciation of his cooking during dinner. Nancy caught him sneaking extra food to him during dinner and said, “Not cool Adam. “

       The trio crowded on the sofa while they watched an episode of Cheers and then the Golden Girls. The Labradoodle hogged the middle while getting petted by Adam and Nancy. Afterwards, they let him out to do his business and then put a board across the laundry room door to keep him secured there for the night. 

          Nancy dressed in Adam's favorite negligee and dabbed on some Poison perfume in the hopes of tempting Adam to keep the dog. Likewise, Adam brought up a plate of grapes and cheddar to curry favor with Nancy. 

       When the Labradoodle jumped his wooden barrier a few hours later, nobody kicked him out of bed. 

         The next morning, they took him up to Ballston Spa in their Chrysler Laser Turbo. Sandy took them in right away as they had the first appointment. 

           Sandy exclaimed, “ What a beautiful dog. I've never seen anything like him. Adam, I think you're right about his lineage.” After checking his heart, eyes, ears and teeth, Sandy pronounced him a healthy specimen and approximately twelve months old. 

         Sandy continued, “ You say you might surrender him to the shelter tomorrow? Why not keep him? I'd take him myself if you didn't want him. Unfortunately, I have two at home already.”

       Adam said, “We decided to pay for his rabies and distemper shots to help the shelter out .”

        Ironically, Sandy administered the two shots that this time were not a death sentence. She said, “ You should consider getting him neutered if you decide to keep him.”

        Adam said weakly, “Barf me out, “ while hunching over defensively. 

       They dropped off the Labradoodle at home before they left for work, giving him the run of the house. The two hated to leave and showered him with affection before they left. They decided to make their decision about the dog after dinner. This weighty matter hung over the three like a storm cloud all day. 

            The trio walked around the yard just before the sun set, drinking in the brilliant colors and wood smoke from the neighbor's chimney. Adam half-heartedly prepared an excellent steak dinner yet nobody seemed to have an appetite. They piled the dishes in the sink and decided to have their “discussion “ in the car. “I think he understands every word we say,” said Nancy. 

         “Duh,” said Adam. 

   The two sat in the car with their pros and cons list. Nancy liked to be a little more organized and less emotional during their “decisions.” Money issues, huge responsibility and less freedom to travel were high on the con list. The Labradoodle pro list consisted mostly of the fact that he was a special and wonderful dog. The die was cast , the clinical decision made and both exited the car crying. “What a grody thing to decide, “ said Adam. 

       The Labradoodle waited anxiously by the door and knew their decision as soon as they came in. Their body language gave them away. The canine understood but didn't hold it against them. Dogs have a deep, loyal and forgiving nature. They retain these virtues even when mistreated and abused. He licked their faces before they all fell asleep in a heap on the bed. The sense of overwhelming dread of the morning ahead blanketed them all.

          A little after midnight, the Labradoodle sprung into action and barked at full volume. He pawed the humans forcefully until they woke, groggy from their slumber. They yelled at him to stop, but the dog was persistent. “We better see what he wants,” said Adam. 

           The canine flew down the stairs, followed by his human companions. Thick, black smoke billowed from the kitchen and was spreading through the rest of the downstairs. Just as they ran through the laundry room door exit, their neighbor Louis reached them. “I was outside smoking a cigarette when I spotted the fire in your kitchen. Leslie called the fire department. “

            Leslie brought over two blankets for Adam and Nancy while they helplessly waited for the first responders. She noticed the dog even in all the excitement and said, “What a beautiful creature !”

          Adam and Nancy said together, “He saved our lives by waking us up.”

          The firehouse was only a mile away and the volunteer firemen arrived very quickly. Luckily, they were able to extinguish the flames in short order. The Labradoodle recognized a few of them by their smell- except they were decades younger. 

           The chief ambled over to their group and handed Adam a card. “This outfit is pretty good at fixing fire damage. You might be out of your house for several days-call your insurance company first thing in the morning. The report isn't done yet, but it looks like the fire originated in the stove. Your fire detector didn't have batteries. I heard that this dog woke you up. You're pretty lucky. “

         Louis and Leslie offered to put them up for the night but Adam and Nancy said they could stay with family. 

          Nancy said, “ Like, it's so totally cool to have such awesome neighbors !”

       When the small crowd dispersed and the last firefighter left, the trio headed for the car. Nancy and Adam hugged each other when they climbed inside. They cried from emotion and exhaustion from the night’s events. The Labradoodle again licked their faces. 

          Adam said, “It's about time we gave him a name. He's so awesome, we'll call him Bodacious !”

         It slowly dawned on the newly-christened Bodacious that he heard this name mentioned dozens of times by Adam and Nancy. Bodacious was the first dog in a long line of Labradoodles Adam and Nancy owned over the years. They always told him-the former Eros- that Bodacious held a special place in their hearts because he saved their lives. Eros was a little jealous- he made sure to pee on his grave. Everything was almost perfect - except for the embarrassment of having the name Bodacious. 

          Adam leaned over and whispered in Bodacious’ ear. “Don't worry buddy. I'll talk Nancy out of that surgery Vet Sandy recommended- chill ! “ Adam's face broke into a wide grin and he swore Bodacious understood every word.

February 10, 2024 03:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Alexis Araneta
12:14 Feb 15, 2024

The imagery on this is just impeccable. You made me feel like I was there. Other than that, looking back through the eyes of a pet is a very creative concept. Lovely job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nicole Eaton
00:19 Feb 15, 2024

Lovely opening with the descriptive ode to autumn. Enjoyed the perspective of traveling back through the eyes of a pet. Very uplifting when his journey 'began' again in the heart of the story. Great job bringing in the elements the reader could recognize, like the vet.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Karla S. Bryant
21:08 Feb 14, 2024

What a sweet story! I randomly started reading this, before being aware of the central topic, and I just had my 17 1/2 mutt put down last month, so your story really pulled at my heartstrings. You have a great gift for description, I could see and smell the perfect fall day. A well-told story that many will relate to.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.