2 comments

General

BANG!


I awoke hastily as the door opened, jolting against the kitchen bar, followed by the stomping of feet as intruders entered my cabin. 


Without wasting a moment, I moved as quickly as I could and hid in the closet. Rarely used, bulky items filled the oversized, walk-in closet, which allowed for easy concealment in a dark corner. I positioned myself behind the vacuum cleaner and quilts. 


I didn’t think moving to another room was prudent nor was trying to escape. I didn’t like to leave my room much less consider squeezing out a window into the snowy beyond. 


STOMP! STOMP!


I stayed perfectly still as I listened to the plodding footfalls around the entirety of my cabin.


Whoever they were, they made no attempt at stealth. So, I could only assume anyone so brazen was capable of more insidious actions than simply breaking and entering. 


Muffled talking and laughter from the other room left me straining to listen. I could feel the wooden floor shake with each heavy footfall.


There are people in my home.


How did they get here with the ever-escalating snowfall? What did they want?


Shadows fell across the crack at the base of the closet door. 


Do not open the door. Do not open the door. Do not open the door. Do not open....


I repeated this mantra as they moved and talked within the room. 


“Harry! How did you find this place?” said a female voice.


From what was now my sanctum, free from intrusion thus far, I heard a muted, masculine reply, “I found it….”


I couldn’t hear the last part. However, if they were willing to share names so readily, they must not realize I am here. That was a good thing. 


“Which bedroom did you guys want?” asked another male voice, which must have belonged to the second person in my room. 


“Doesn’t matter!” shouted another female voice from elsewhere in the house.


It felt like my soul dropped out of my body when I heard the woman say, “We’ll take this one then.”


So there are four? FOUR invaders? Two men. Two women. Two in my room. Two steps away from discovering my hiding spot. I thought this as I concentrated on staying perfectly still.


Even though I didn’t see a face, I could match one voice with the name Harry. That was something at least. The couple in my room milled, and from the sound of it, they were busy making MY room theirs. I focused on the mantra and making myself as small and hidden as I could. 


Then, I heard, “What’s in the closet?”


My body tingled. My legs shivered once and then froze. I waited with open eyes unwaveringly staring at the door. Shadows came into view again eventually blocking out the majority of light seeping in from the cracks in the door. From my crouched position, I watched as the golden door knob turned.


This is it. They are going to find me.


CREAK!


As the door cracked open and light fell on the corner opposite from my hiding place, I braced myself for what I knew was inevitable if they opened the door the rest of the way. 


I couldn’t see the face that peaked in, but I heard, “No room, just a bunch of random stuff.”


The door mercifully closed as I relaxed just a little. 


I heard them walk out of the room and listened carefully. I could only hear fragments of conversation.


“I can’t think of a more beautiful spot to celebrate….”


“I KNOW! It’s...winter cabin...snow...stuck….”


“Even...we do...it will clear...we....days….”


Days? They plan to stay here for days? What if they do get stuck and can’t leave? What if they just won’t? How long can I hide?


My thoughts barreled as I filled in the missing gaps in sentences. I wished I could hear more, but their voices rose and fell and I am certain the snow must have started falling harder. It’s funny how snowfall has a way of stifling sound and bringing quiet to everything, even a home. 


I barely heard the door open and close. I hoped they would be gone for a while, and I could chance getting food.


CRUNCH! CRUNCH! CRUNCH!


I heard noises outside the walls of my room. The chilling sound came nearer, stopped, only to be followed by a loud wrenching. I didn’t know what they were doing, but it sounded as if they were going to come through the wall. The crunch, crunch resumed and receded. I heard the door open again.


“...firewood...build….”


Someone seemed to shriek. I heard labored movement. Had they turned on each other? 


“You got dirt….” said one of the women.


I recognized the voice of the man who almost found me, “ I… vacuum….”


My body tensed when I felt the vibrations of someone moving toward me through the lightly stained oak flooring.


“...later….”


I felt and heard them walk away from the hallway, and I relaxed again.


They continued to speak in jovial tones, and with barely any time passing, the cabin grew warmer.


Since they seemed occupied with discussion in the other room, I moved around quietly to make myself a more suitable place to nestle. It was a slow process, but eventually I became comfortable.


Sleep overtook me. When I woke, light had retreated and was replaced with the sounds of snoring. I decided that my only chance of survival was escape. Most likely, my only chance of escape would be at night while the invaders slept. But where would I go? I knew I wouldn’t survive in the elements. 


Was there a nearby home? Was there a cave or hollowed out tree I could use to endure the next few days?


This cabin was my birthplace. I didn’t know anything outside of these walls. Not once have I ventured out. Why would I? I have had everything I ever needed here. I don’t know what troubled me more, leaving or staying. Both required a bravery of which I was not sure I was capable. 


I knew I had to be brave. So, I decided to stay until I could come up with a plan. Hunger hit me, but safety was a greater priority than food. Despite the stress, or maybe because of it, and my attempts to stay awake, sleep impetuously enveloped me for the second time.


Again, I woke to voices, but none were close. My hiding spot continued to serve its purpose. 


“We....go out...ski...fun.”


Yes! Go out! Let me leave. 


More rustling around as I heard them come back into the room. It wasn’t long before they finished their purpose and I heard the front door softly open and close. A quiet relaxed over the house again. I decided I had waited long enough and could attempt to find food and leave. At this point, I was sure any outside shelter would be better than waiting to be discovered. I didn’t want to think about what might happen if I were. 


I would sneak out the door and run to the trees I could see through my window at the back of the cabin. They were familiar, which gave me comfort even if the thought of going outside gave me the a feeling quite the opposite of comfort. I would go to them first and search from there.


I slowly moved out of the closet and inspected the rest of the house staying close to the walls. Empty. I moved toward the kitchen. As I did, I heard voices outside.


“Leave it to me to fall,” said one of the women. 


"It's okay, probably just a sprain...."


BANG!


I had made a mistake. I should have waited until they were asleep. I scrambled toward my room. I moved quickly, but the door flew open while I was still in the main room.


I heard a scream. A shadow fell over me, and suddenly, pain shot through my entire body. 


“You didn’t have to KILL it,” said the other woman. “You could have let it outside.”


“Not in the snow. Good as dead if I did that. This was faster.”


All eight of my legs felt broken, but I attempted to move anyway. I might be able to heal; I didn’t know. I should have stayed in my web in that closet corner.


“It’s still moving!” shouted the other woman.


Those were the last words, but not the last sound, I heard as something white enveloped me.


A deafening CRUNCH! preceded pain followed by vast nothing.

January 11, 2020 04:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Elizabeth Lowery
14:06 Jan 16, 2020

Definitely did not see that coming! I'm not going to lie; I didn't care for the story at first. It seemed odd to me that the main character wouldn't understand that there had been a mistake. I thought the "hostage situation" seemed forced. And then I got to the part about having never been outside the house before, and I was intrigued. The twist ending was great! I laughed a little at the realization that his wasn't a person hiding in the closet, then my heart broke a little for the poor, little guy. Well done!

Reply

Rachel Sloan
15:22 Jan 16, 2020

Thank you! I wanted it to be cliche until I got closer to the end. Thank you for wading through the first part lol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.