10 comments

Romance

I am face blind. That means that I don’t recognize faces. I see two eyes, a nose, a mouth, and I know these elements make a face, but I don’t know who that face belongs to. Everyone is a stranger to me.

As is often the case with strange disorders, there’s a difficult name for my condition; it’s called “prosopagnosia”. You can look that up if you don’t believe me. It’s rare, but it’s a thing.

 

In kindergarten, the teacher said: “Look, there’s your mother!” and I would run to the mother of some other kid because I didn’t recognize my own mother.

In middle school, I would go into a classroom and ask the teacher: “Is this Math?” The teacher would then say something like: “I’ve been teaching you English last year, Thomas. No, this isn’t Math.”

I focus on what people are wearing to recognize them, but that only works if they don’t change clothes all the time.

Sports are easier, that is: when every shirt has a different number. Otherwise it’s very confusing when the basketball coach yells: “Pass the ball to Mike, Thomas.”

These are some of the practical problems that are inherent to my disorder. Otherwise, I’m perfectly normal. I used to be bullied when I was younger, but I made some great friends once I was in 9th Grade. Whenever we’re together they wear a tag that allows me to know who’s who.

 

When I was in my junior year, something amazing happened: I saw a girl in the shopping mall! You might wonder what’s so special about that. That was also the first thing I asked myself: why am I so excited about seeing this girl?

I don’t know how to explain, but somehow, she didn’t look like every other girl I had seen before. I stared at her for a couple of minutes, but she didn’t notice. She was too busy talking to her friends, a bunch of girls with no face. When they said goodbye to each other, I heard one of her friends say: “Bye Clara, see you tomorrow!”

The girl waved back and left the mall. I was too baffled by the whole experience to follow her.

“Her name is Clara,” I wrote in my diary that evening. “It’s the first girl I would immediately recognize if I ever saw her again. I think I’m in love.”

The rest of the week, I returned to the mall every day, hoping I would meet Clara, but she didn’t return. At least, I don’t think she returned. All the girls I saw had identical faces.

In the meantime, I had seen the profile pictures of every Clara I could find on social media, but the Clara I was looking for was nowhere to be found online.

I had almost given up hope when I saw her walking in the street while I was on the school bus. I couldn’t keep my eyes from her. She didn’t look up. Just like in the mall, she didn’t know I was watching her. I wanted to knock on the window and shout her name to get her attention, but I realized in time that I would greatly ridicule myself in doing so.

The days that followed, I explored the neighborhood where I had seen her from the bus. After school, I did the tour of that block multiple times. I also walked through the park nearby twice a day. I didn’t have any luck. Another week passed without seeing her.

 

In the weekend I returned to the park near where she probably lived. The sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the air.

And indeed, there she was! I was so happy to see —and recognize— her that I dropped my bike and ran straight to her.

“You’re Clara,” I said without thinking.

“Yes, I am,” she answered. “Have we met before?”

“Yes,” I said, and then: “No, well, in a way we did. It’s complicated.”

“Wait a minute,” she said. “I think I recognize you. I’ve seen you in my street almost every day last week. You were riding ridiculously slow, and you were just driving back and forth, seemingly without any purpose.”

“Yes,” I said enthusiastically. “That was me! I’m so happy you noticed; I was looking for you. My name is Thomas!”

“Thomas, eh?” she replied. “Did you just admit that you’ve been stalking me all week?”

“No, no,” I said. “No, That wasn’t my intention!”

“But in a way you did,” she said.

“I g-g-guess you’re right,” I confessed. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. It’s just that…”

I couldn’t finish my sentence because a bunch of girls called Clara’s name.

“Is that boy harassing you?” one of them asked.

“I don’t think so,” Clara answered. “In any case, we’re done talking. I’ll join you guys right away.”

She got up, took the blanket she was sitting on, and said: “Goodbye Thomas. It was nice meeting you, but please stop stalking me.”

 

I tried not to stalk her. I limited my bike rides in her neighborhood, wondering from behind which window she could be watching me.

I tried to stay away from the park, because it would have been too obvious that I only went there in the hope that I would see her. I didn’t succeed. On Memorial Day, I couldn’t resist, but what started as a beautiful day, ended in disappointment.

I immediately spotted Clara, but she wasn’t alone. There was another boy with her. They were holding hands. I hid behind a tree so that she wouldn’t see me, and then I saw them kiss. It broke my heart. How could she, who was so special, fall for some faceless nobody? I was the one she was supposed to love. We were meant for each other…

 

I suffered from love sickness throughout the summer. On the last day before my senior year would start, I went to the shopping mall because I needed a new pair of sneakers.

A girl came up to me, and said: “Hi Thomas!”

I didn’t recognize her, so I said: “Hi, are we in the same class?”

“No, we aren’t,” she answered. “I’m Clara, don’t you remember me? You used to stalk me.”

“O Clara, hi,” I mumbled. “I didn’t recognize you.”

“Well, I just wanted to say ‘Hi’,” she said. “Bye!”

“OK, bye!” I replied, and she was gone.

I think she was surprised at my reaction. I was surprised myself: how could I not recognize a girl I had been stalking for weeks?

She looked just like any other girl now. That comforted me. Not only did it mean that I was finally over her, it also meant that I had an advantage over every other boy. I would never have to doubt if I loved a girl or not, I would immediately recognize my love when I saw her face.

April 15, 2020 12:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Uta L.
16:32 May 06, 2020

What a nice story! Despite its inherent sadness, it has such a beautiful light-hearted touch to it. As if to say, the world isn't going to end if you're heart gets broken. Being in love should be something precious, something happy and when it's over, it's over. There's always a way to carry on.

Reply

Bruno Lowagie
16:52 May 06, 2020

Thanks! I'm currently struggling with another "lost love" story with a completely different twist for the prompt 'Write a story inspired by this quote from Ally Condie: "Growing apart doesn't change the fact that for a long time we grew side by side; our roots will always be tangled. I'm glad for that."' I hope I can finish it in time ;-)

Reply

Uta L.
16:58 May 06, 2020

Good luck then!

Reply

Bruno Lowagie
14:28 May 07, 2020

This is it: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/40/submissions/15815/ "Farewell My Heroine" has a weird twist that works in my head, but I don't know if it works for readers of the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kelly Leong
03:56 Apr 23, 2020

What a sweet story. I laughed out loud when Thomas said that he would try to stop stalking her. In that essence, he was a stranger that kept popping up everywhere! I was wondering what made Clara so unique that he could "see" her better. Was it her energy? Her spirit? What did it feel like? And oh, heartbreaks... Do I know too it takes time to heal. I wonder what changed with Clara?

Reply

Bruno Lowagie
04:19 Apr 23, 2020

What explains "love at first sight"? I really don't know, but it happens, and it was what happened to Thomas. The reason for it could be some of Clara's qualities, but I think that the real reason lies with Thomas: he was ready for love. Puberty finally got a hold of him and forced him to "see" a girl. What changed with Clara? Thomas' love was similar to drunkenness; it made him look at Clara in a special way. Seeing her with another (faceless) boy sobered him up (eventually). Have you ever been in love with someone, broken up, and then y...

Reply

Kelly Leong
04:35 Apr 23, 2020

Sounds like maybe it was infatuation!

Reply

Bruno Lowagie
04:48 Apr 23, 2020

Yes, it's always disorienting the first time that happens. (And the second time too, and probably the third time...) As for your first comment: yes, Thomas is the stranger that pops up. I always like to twist the prompts in an unexpected way ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:58 Apr 20, 2020

Wow. I really like this! I'd never heard of prosopagnosia before. I think this would make a really great book.

Reply

Bruno Lowagie
05:44 Apr 21, 2020

Thanks! Before I wrote this story, I had never heard about it either. I just thought it would be cool to write a story about someone for whom everyone he saw was a stranger (as a strange twist of the prompt). I Googled for the term "face blind" and discovered that it was something that really existed ;-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.