When the Shamash Burns Out

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story that takes place over the eight nights of Hannukah.... view prompt

7 comments

Holiday Kids Sad

This story contains sensitive content

Trigger warning: This story contains trauma such as illness and death.

On the first night of Hanukkah, my father nearly died. 

We lit the menorah, his pupils dilated, the size of his iris. Attempting to speak, his mouth mobile, but gusts of air followed. We flock to him at full tilt, each one of us probing, “Dad?” I tell him to lift his arms over his head, to repeat after me, “It may rain today.” We say it’s not a stroke, but my Mom dials 911. The hospital staff won’t allow us past the main entrance, and uneasiness clouds above my family’s head. Staff reports he’s tucked safely into an emergency department bed. On the first night of Hanukkah, my father nearly died.

The world was plagued, by thousands of people on ventilators from a deadly virus. Air forcibly cycling through their lungs, they could not breathe alone. The perturbation from the world became uncomfortable. We questioned if my Father had it, the virus everyone speaks of. They biopsied his lung, the doctor said. There are no signs of coronavirus, the nurses chided. On the second night of Hanukkah, my Father was put in the Intensive Care Unit. We lit the second candle with prayers deep in our chest that he would improve after resting, that he would come home in the morning refreshed, and healthy.

As we woke, our eyes were crusty and aching from tears. Today would not be his homecoming. The doctor guarantees no coronavirus, but his brain is inflamed with a life-threatening infection. On the third night of Hanukkah, my Father was intubated. His brain needed to sleep, I thought, that’s all. I remember how assiduous he is with his work, perhaps he needs to press the snooze button on his diligence. With the candles lit, we embrace, willing him to survive.

Hospice, that’s where my Grandmother is on the fourth day of Hanukkah. We are a unit as we shuffle atop the linoleum floor to say our final goodbyes. We wear masks, and the insensitivity of my grandmother revolts me. I acknowledge I’m upset because my life has been knocked down like a string of dominos, one by one, two by two. Through difficulty breathing, Oma says she loved me, her wrinkled and dainty hand in mine. We read to her and fed her ice cream. On the Fourth night of Hanukkah, my Grandmother took her last breath. They say she passed peacefully, we send our gratitude to the universe for that.

My Mother shakes me awake at four in the morning. She’s sobbing as if she’s in agony. I’m haunted by the nightmare that precedes my consciousness, one where my Dad dies alone in a sterile hospital suite. My Mom confesses it isn't my Father she’s grieving for. She shares that she received a call, the procedure she underwent last week was a biopsy. The tumor is malignant. She has cancer and is terrified because her Mother died from the same disease she imagines she’ll die from. On the fifth night of Hanukkah, my Mother found out she had cancer.

Halfway through eight nights, the doctors say my Father is fit to breathe on his own. The MRI indicates the swelling has gone down significantly, and he’s stable and doing wonderfully. The medications have worked, but he needs to be monitored. We all gathered to light the fifth candle on the menorah, with peace in our hearts and the expression of exhaustion plastered on our faces.

Hours roll by with no signs of sleep, all consumed in prayer. Bargaining with God, I’d do anything to keep him with us. On the fifth day of Hanukkah, my Father is able to speak. “Sweetie girl,” he beamed, the nickname I’d been given as a child. 

 He’s back to being the Dad I remember. Relief floods over the gathering of family and friends, all assembled to support our family. 

It’s four in the morning, but I hear footsteps across the hall. My Mom is pacing, back and forth, her hand running through her hair. I assure her that all will be okay and that Dad is going to survive. “What about me,” she exclaims, her eyes wide in panic. Pain twists through my stomach. On the sixth day of Hanukkah, my Mom begs God for mercy.

We video called my Dad today. His voice continues to be raspy from the tube that kept him breathing not long ago. The doctors say he’s being transferred, he’s going to a step down unit, and he no longer is a critical patient. For a moment I experience solace, but it vanishes like steam on the mirror from a scorching shower. My Mother’s health is now at the forefront of my frontal cortex. On the seventh night of Hanukkah, I hug my knees on the shower floor, wailing as if I’m still a little girl who throws tantrums. Her wrinkled dainty hand in mine.

I’m stirring in the car as we drive to pick up my Dad. The outside of the hospital is barren, eerie, and sanitary. He gets pushed out in an ancient wheelchair, one with dents and nicks. We arrive home to the smell of lunch. My Mom is exasperated as she realizes he can’t eat solid foods quite yet. Dad plops onto the couch, lethargic, and closes his eyes. On the seventh day of Hanukkah, my Father comes home.

Upon waking from fourteen hours of shut-eye, my Mom confides in him. My Dad takes the reins and makes a plan. She’s getting chemo, he says. I’d never heard of an itinerary for cancer until my Dad shared his proposal. My Mother’s shoulders sink down, her face no longer taut. We congregate around the menorah, Dad in tow. He sends a prayer out for his Mother. All of us unwind, coil by coil. He lights the eight candles with the shamash, the center and ninth candle of the menorah. We come to understand that our Father is our shamash, he assists all of us in remaining lit. On the final night of Hanukkah, my family falls into a peaceful slumber. Our shamash is here again.  

December 30, 2022 23:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Betsy Ellis
09:40 Jan 06, 2023

Hello Talia, I have been hanging out and reading on other sites recently like Medium but decided to read a short piece here on Reedsy and I picked yours. I am so sorry to hear that this is a true story! So much grief, worry, and stress all at once. I am glad your father is okay. I agree with Wally's post about your strongest sentences - the analogies are effective writing devices. I am one for constructive criticism as well though. I would definitely recommend you find someone to do some editing before you submit (it is often hard for me ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
AnneMarie Miles
01:54 Jan 06, 2023

Goosebumps for that ending! I felt the stress and build of those days in my bones. Each paragraph that ended with that repetitive structure "On the X day of Hanukkah..." were so emotionally impactful. While sad, this is a wonderful approach to the prompt. I'm glad I found this. Welcome to Reedsy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
S N
00:00 Jan 06, 2023

I'm not sure if this is a true story but it reads like one. And what an emotional rollercoaster. Loss and gratitude, fear and faith, so much raw emotion in such a short piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:21 Jan 05, 2023

Oh, wow. This made me teary. I love that the father is the shammash.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Talia Stier
15:29 Jan 05, 2023

Actually, yes, this is a true story. I'm fortunate that my parents are healthy now! Thank you for your feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dilbert Jazz
00:03 Jan 05, 2023

Very sad story, and there is no good way to tell. Is it true? As for feedback, you should include more dialog, as it always adds drama to the story. The story made me unhappy and sad, about the future of my life, as I am 70 and will soon pass myself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wally Schmidt
20:08 Jan 04, 2023

Hi Talia Let me be among the many to welcome you to Reedsy and to thank you for your first post. By the time I got to the fifth candle, I didn't know if I wanted to go on, but I am so glad I did. The story is beautifully written. Some of my favorite lines: "I experience solace, but it vanishes like steam on the mirror from a scorching shower." and "All of us unwind, coil by coil." While the family confronts so many challenges, they ultimately pull through and their strength and unity is an inspiring message.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.