5 comments

Mystery

The words, which were uncovered but wrapped with every emotional vein in the human body, hit Lisa repeatedly like a sting. The injection she received caused her lungs to be disconnected from her body, the volume of her heartbeat to be amplified and her mind to stop functioning. For minutes, she felt like a subject ready for a scientific experiment. Except that it was nothing like a scientific experiment. The words: “…We are not your biological parents…” was the worst injection she had ever received in her life. And who could have thought that her mother would be the one to inject her with such pain. A mystery of her identity had been revealed; but how has it stayed as a mystery for years and why was it being unravelled now?


Perhaps the “how” did not upset her so much as the “why”. Her mother could have chosen any other occasion to reveal such a long-kept secret, but to do so on the annual grave visiting day was just unacceptable…


****


How possible could it be that the beautiful and colourful hyacinth flower could be an agent transporting the mutual feelings of the dead and the living? Lisa knew not that the fresh, colourful purple flower she had planned to place on her late father’s grave was symbolic of what would happen in a few minutes. For years she had carried along with her the guilt of not being there for her father while on his sickbed. And the guilt had always increased whenever she visited the grave as she heard no comforting fatherly voice erupting from the grave to take the guilt away. But today would be an exception. An exception that would truly be an exception. Within a few minutes, his dad would scream from the dark abyss to say that he was also sorry.


****


Lisa and her mom got to the grave very early, in the morning, for the short service. The grave was as noiseless as the moaning of a dead infant, as quiet as the loud footsteps of a ghost and as silent as a dying man’s plea to death. There were, as usual, several erected pillars acting as agents and representatives of the dark world and serving as the connection between the living and the dead. Usually, the pair would scan the world of the lifeless with curiosity, fear, and tremble. Asking themselves questions as to why people die, why they usually left without goodbyes, and why death always had to take away loved ones? By the time they got to their host’s grave, they would have ended up posing several questions they had no answers to. It was such an irrational ritual they carried out, but at least it served as the best vessel through which they prepared for the sorrowful day. 


Today was different. They did not have the luxury to have their ritual as something caught their attention. As they approached their host, they spotted a beautiful human having a conversation with their dear host. This was strange as they had never seen anyone visiting Robert’s grave. Never! Not in the last 6 years since he passed away. “Who is she? Why is she here?”, they asked each other. The subject they spoke of was dark, slim, tall, and beautiful. The black casual bodycon she wore also projected every single line that her body possessed. But her beauty was of little importance to Lisa and Sophie. All they needed to know was who she was and why she had come to the grave.


Melissa also unaware of the company she had, continued staring at the beautiful piece of photograph she held in her hand. It was a picture of her and Robert taken at a picnic a year before Robert’s demise. She wondered why the powerful smiles emanating from the picture was inadequate to stop death from causing her pain. And as she spoke, it was so evident. “You know, we could have organized several picnics, visited the cinema or even attended the basketball games that you were so much into but death, death…” she said, accompanying each syllable with a tear that was understandably significant. “I hate that I could not spend more time with you. I hate that I had to stay with my mother but not you, I hate that I could not be with my father always…”, Melissa continued. At this time, she could not continue with her monologue. Fortunately, she turned and saw Melissa approaching and rushed to hug her. Melissa hugged Sophie so tight as if doing so would bring Robert back. Sophie, on the other hand, stood helpless having no idea of what to do until she finally decided to return the hug. Lisa was consequently left out of the equation. Left to wonder why a person they considered a stranger was holding on so tight to her mother, and why her mother had also decided to return the hug.


“Is that Lisa?” Melissa asked as she let go off Sophie. A stifled Sophie could only nod in response to the question, a reaction that got Lisa understandably curious and desperate for answers. As Lisa stretched forth her hand to shake the hands of Melissa, Sophie dropped the first bomb that would cause even the dead to take interest in what was transpiring. “Melissa is the daughter of your father”, she said unexpectedly in a bid to get rid of her uneasiness. The words she uttered also caused Lisa to withdraw her hands like a battalion retreating to safety in a battle. “But mom you told me I had no sibling and that I was the only child. Why did you lie to me…” a surprised Lisa said. “I did so to protect you Lisa”, Melissa responded. Melissa only realized how dangerous the situation was when Lisa shrugged her off as she attempted to hold and calm her down. Lisa was always calm and understanding and would not go to the extent of doing such a thing but she did this time.

 “How is distancing me from my sister any form of protection? Tell me?” Lisa said angrily. 


With Lisa getting increasingly frustrated, Melissa realized she had no option but to unravel the details of the mystery. “The truth is we are not your biological parents, Lisa. I met your father after he had already given birth to Melissa and we both agreed to let her stay with her mother and have our own children”, Sophie began. “Unfortunately for us, we were unable to give birth so we decided to adopt you…”, Sophie was unable to complete her narration as Lisa dropped her flower and went straight into the car.


Sophie decided to follow her immediately but Melissa held her back and said: “I really understand how she feels because I’ve been there before. When I got to know that my biological father was alive, I got really upset because I did not know why he would abandon me. But with 3 years’ experience as a married woman, I believe you made the right decision. Just give her some time. It’s really hard when you get to know about your background when you are this old, but she will surely come around”. Melissa and Sophie then parted ways and entered their respective cars.

As Sophie drove off with Lisa, the only sound that could be heard was the cry of Robert pleading with Lisa to forgive her. But as noiseless as that sound was, it never could have gotten to Lisa. Truth be told, the events that happened afterwards were beyond the grave and its inhabitants and it is only fair that the dead does not mingle with the matters of the living…


April 17, 2020 19:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

21:36 Apr 22, 2020

Ben-oni I wanted to start off by saying that I liked your story. There were some parts that were a little confusing. For example when you introduced Melissa and Sophie I didn't understand who they were until way later. Also there was a part in which Melissa is said to be Lisa's sister but then Melissa responds as Lisa's mother. Besides that I think you told a powerful story. I loved the beginning paragraph, it was very well written and hit me in the heart. Your last line is awesome and I love it! I liked your comparisons in the paragraph whe...

Reply

Ben-oni Blay
22:37 Apr 22, 2020

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it.

Reply

22:43 Apr 22, 2020

You're welcome! I look forward to reading more of your stories! I like the messages you have to say. Feel free to read mine and give me any feedback you have. Only if you want to, I won't feel bad if you don't. But if you do read it, I hope you like it!

Reply

Ben-oni Blay
22:47 Apr 22, 2020

Sure, I will do so.

Reply

22:49 Apr 22, 2020

Thank you Ben-oni I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.