0 comments

General

 Hello, my name is Luke. One of the most common names and for that, I hate my name. I hate it with a burning passion. I hate being common. You see, it's just not my nature. Ever since I was a kid I've wanted to be a hero. Like you see in mythology. I want to save people and hear them sing my name. Well, maybe not my name, I'll change it to something cool. However, I do not know what. Hopefully, it will come to me. I plan on joining the military and then going into the FBI. Sadly, I can't kill mythical beings.

   I'm walking to the grocery store. Like a normal person, like common people do. I won't be common for long, I remind myself. Just for now. Just for now. The way I walk to the grocery store is normal. However, as I'm walking my thoughts are not. I'm thinking about my future and myself. Running threw possible scenarios. For example, I know what to do if an old lady pulls back her mask and happens to be a young man. Then tries to kill. 

  I dislike this town. It's boring, peaceful, common folk. There's nothing interesting and or heroic to do here. No one understands me and I'm fine with that. The only person I trust is a little old sixteen-year-old me. 

  My mom sent me to the grocery store to get her a jug of milk. Milk of all things. What could not be more suspenseful and heroic? I'm sick of this town. Maybe I should just run away? Is that not how most heroes' stories start? With some massive life arc. This could be mine! No, running away is boring. I need to do something bigger. I just need to figure out what.

  I reach the store and walk to the corner of the store to get milk. I get it and put it in my cart. I walk up to the cashier lady. That's when I see a boy around my age standing around ten feet from me. He is tall with dark hair that falls into his eyes. His deep blue eyes. My eyes happen to be blue as well. Just not his blue. His blue is the blue of an ocean during a sunset. Mine is in the sky. 

   He looks to be 17 maybe older. The reason why he caught my attention was the book he was reading. It is one of my favorites. The world of a hero. It is about Hercules and all the stuff he's done. Yes, I know he's not real but that's not going to stop Hercules from being my idol. 

   I'm tempted to go talk to him but for some reason, I'm scared to. My fatal flaw is being a severe introvert. I remind myself that I need to conquer my fears. Over the course of ten minutes, I managed to work up the courage to go over and talk to him with human words. Sadly, we speak English in America. 

  I walk over and spit out ”H-Hey, I like the book you are reading.” I point down at the book and put on a friendly smile. He looks up and nods at me as well as returning the smile. I wait a couple of seconds before I realize he's not going to return a sentence and walk away. 

   I walk for around two minutes before I realize I forgot the milk at the store. I set it down at the register but the stupid guy made me forget it. God and the lady didn't remind me. She just let me walk away. I sigh and turn my body around and walk back.

  I walk into the store and wait in line for the lady. She tells me that I just randomly walked out of the store once she scanned my milk. I can see the kind of confusion on her face as she said that and her seeing my confusion. I just say I'll get go get another one and walk off to the corner of the store.

  When I reach the milk section I see the boy again. He's inside now and is across from me looking at the yogurt. ”You again…” I hear him say. His voice is nice.

”Y-Yeah”

”My name is March because I was born in March. Creative right?”

”Not really”

”I was being sarcastic” 

   What can I say? I'm not good with people. Also, he's being more social than he was at first and it's making me nervous. Sadly, I'm very good at being nervous and awkward. As I said before, it's my fatal flaw. 

”Oh…”

He laughs and says ”Yeah, can I ask for your name?”

”It is L-Luke so I guess I understand a lack of creativity.” I say and this is when I start fidgeting.

”Luke’s nice” he continues with ”You don't have to be so nervous.

I awkwardly laugh.

”It is impossible for me not to be nervous.” Ironically I stutter for a solid ten seconds on saying the word nervous. ”You see? It's my face flaw.”

”Fatal flaw, ah? I would say mine would be pride.” he says that while taking a step closer to me. I step back. He continued saying ”What are you here to get?”

”Milk”

”That's it?”

”Y-Yeah”

”Okay.”

I smile awkwardly which is followed by his smirk.

”Say I walk home with you?”

”S-sure”

It was winter.

  As the snow was falling March and I was walking down the street. The snow was falling in his dark hair. I had light blond hair. I doubt you could see the snow in it. He was the complete opposite of me. Personality-wise and looks-wise, besides are eyes who were both blue but even with the blue eyes they were opposites. With his ocean blue and my sky blue. 

  He was holding the milk carton. I just realized he had not gotten anything. Realizing I stupidly blurted out “W-Why have you not gotten anything?”

  He hangs his head down and says. ”I got distracted I guess.” He said that differently then has said anything before. He said it softly, not confidently. I knew he was telling the entire truth. I decided against prying him for information.

  I suddenly realized he was looking at me. He pulls out a knife and sticks it in my neck. Actually, he didn't but that's what his gaze felt like. He made me incredibly nervous. We make eye contact. He smirks at me and I awkwardly laugh. I realize I can't take this much longer without taking a small break. We walk by a public bathroom restroom. 

”I need to use this.” 

”Okay.”

  I jog into the restroom and almost vomit. He's not common. I have meant my first non-common besides me. I have an opportunity for companionship. I can't ruin this. For once In my life, I can't ruin a good thing. 

  I walk out and March is gone. I lost him. I must have weird him out and he left when he had the chance. I can't believe this! Maybe he was common after all. A non normal would have stuck it threw and walked the weird kid home. What a coward. 

  For some reason, I started to water. The snow stuck into my face. I picked up the jug of milk and ran home. I tripped and skinned my knee. Would a hero do this? The answer is no. I am a hero I thought to myself. I got up and kept my mind spitting facts about Zeus. 

  When I got home I was still crying but I ignored it. I sat the milk on the table. I walked to the cabinet, grabbed a glass and poured a cup of milk. When I lifted the jug I saw a note.


Sorry, Luke

Something came up and I had to leave.

My email address is Marchrknightblade123@Icloud.com 

-March 



February 29, 2020 02:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.