10 comments

Fiction Horror Suspense

Walking into the antique shop she felt the anticipation begin to grow. What treasures were awaiting her? Rich in history, some items brought with them their stories from the past while others were a mystery left to one’s imagination.

“Oh,” she heard herself actually gasp and made a beeline to the back corner. The desk caught her attention right away, being exactly the style she had been looking for on and off over the years. “Why hello there.” She spoke to the piece of furniture and laughed to acknowledge that she knew she was being ridiculous but continued, nonetheless. “Where have you been all my life?”

“She’s a beauty, ain’t she?” Startled to find the shopkeeper at her back she turned to face him. “That’s what they all say. All the customers before you who fell in love with her and took her home.”

She turned her attention back to the roll top desk, pushed back the cover and beamed at the interior. It was literally her dream desk with all the nooks and crannies in perfect condition. The shopkeeper continued hovering behind her. Feeling claustrophobic, she exclaimed “I’ll take it. Please help me load it onto my truck.” She walked to the register and took out her credit card prepared to pay whatever the price.

Driving away from the shop she had a bad feeling that she couldn’t shake. Something about the ramblings of that shopkeeper had her rattled. What was it that he had said?

Her train of thought was interrupted when she turned up the driveway and saw her fiancé’s car parked in front of the lake house. Her fiancé. She liked the sound of that. Always melancholy as the summer draws to a close, his proposal the night before was perfect timing. Coinciding with the change in seasons would be the beginning of the next chapter of their lives.  

“Honey, I’m home,” she greeted him with a hug and kiss, excited to see him. 

“I can’t wait to spend time with my fiancée.”  He smiled at her. “Some alone time,” he continued. 

“The calm before the storm. Soon it will be all about the kids.”

“Yeah, all sixty of them. I can’t believe we go back to work in a week.”

“Let’s not think about that. We still have the long weekend. Not to mention the whole house to ourselves, husband to be.”

Footsteps approached, followed by an awkward clearing of the throat. The newly engaged couple separated and laughed. 

“Henry!”  Like everything else at the lake, Henry hadn’t changed a bit. “Meet Steve. We teach at the same school. Steve, this is Henry. He takes care of the house for me.” Keeping their engagement a secret, Megan refrained from using her favorite new word ‘fiancé’. They had agreed to stay in their own little bubble of happiness through the last lazy days of summer.

Megan continued, “Henry tells the best spooky stories; they are literally legendary. As kids we used to sit for hours with flashlights under our chins scared to death listening to those tales from the lake.” 

“Those were some great times, no doubt about it.” Henry smiled then motioned to the back of the truck. “You’ve been antiquing already, I see. What’s under that tarp this time?”

“Wait till you guys see. I am literally in love.”

“Hey, should I be jealous?” Steve put his hands on his hips pretending to be angry. 

“No, you are going to love her too,” she teased good naturedly.

Henry shuffled back and forth uncomfortably then cleared his throat again bringing the couple’s attention back to the subject at hand.

Megan once again separated from Steve, walked to the back of her truck and with a grand gesture pulled off the tarp. “Ta da!” 

“Oh!” Henry stopped in his tracks. “The desk.”

Startled at his reaction she grew serious. “What’s wrong?”

“Let’s just bring it right back before there’s any trouble.”

“What are you talking about? I have the perfect spot for her in the den. Come on, grab an end.”  She started moving it from the back of the truck and noticed some wear and tear. “That’s strange. She was stunning in the shop," she commented, pointing out the damage to both Henry and Steve.

“Yeah. She’s only happy in the shop. That’s her home. Whenever someone takes her out of there she gives them trouble like a spoiled child.”

Steve laughed. “Sounds like one of your tales from the lake maybe?”

“No. Believe me, I had a go with her myself. Couldn’t bring her back quick enough.”

“Henry, stop. Please. I’ll finally be able to organize myself. A place for everything and everything in its place. I couldn’t be happier.” She pushed back the roll top cover like she had in the shop only to find rotted wood, missing pieces, dust, and cobwebs. What? Her heart sank. 

Pushing away the negative thoughts she attempted to open the drawers. One after the other they were stuck closed, wouldn’t budge. She looked at Steve with exasperation. “This is crazy. All the drawers opened in the shop, and all were in perfect condition.” 

“Get ready. It’s only going to get worse.”

“You’re being ridiculous, Henry. Come on. Let’s bring her inside.” She hoped she sounded more optimistic than she suddenly felt as she unlocked the front door and walked in.

***

“It’s perfect,” he said, putting his arm around her as they stepped back to admire the inviting atmosphere. The desk sat at the window overlooking the lake. Steve had brought up a bookcase from the basement and they arranged and rearranged their favorite items on it. 

“We can bring our work here, mark papers and exams. It will be our home away from home.”  Megan pictured long weekends and holidays being spent there throughout the school year.

“And you can start the novel you’ve always wanted to write. Your masterpiece.”

“Cheers to that!” Megan held out her champagne glass for yet another refill. 

***

Waking up hours later, she felt disoriented, somewhat nauseous. It must have been all the champagne they drank, she realized. Smiling, she remembered the series of toasts they had made, the clinking of their glasses together. She crept out of bed and walked down the dark hallway for a glass of water and noticed a soft light coming from the den.  

Better watch those electric bills, she thought, it’s time to start saving for the wedding and honeymoon. She reached for the light switch and stopped dead in her tracks, fear rising in her chest, heart pounding. What felt like an eternity she stood rooted to the spot looking at the back of the woman sitting at her desk, long hair cascading down her back. With the roll top open and papers strewn about, she was hunched over working in deep concentration. Megan turned to look over her shoulder hoping against hope that Steve would magically be there. No such luck. Turning back to the desk in terror she was shocked that there was no one there. She was alone in the room.

“I definitely had one too many,” she whispered, switching off the light and hurried back to bed.

***

“How did you sleep?” Steve poured two cups of coffee and handed one to Megan.

After taking her first sip, she leaned against the kitchen counter. She had a flashback of the figure she saw, or thought she saw, in the middle of the night. “Not great,” she admitted. “You?”

Steve glanced over his shoulder into the den, looking nervous and slightly pale. “I’ve slept better.”

His answer was vague, noncommittal, Megan thought, but then again so was hers. Did he see a mysterious figure at the desk as well? 

Just then Missy appeared through the cat door walking daintily like only cats can do. Obviously well fed by Henry, she was thriving. Approaching to investigate Steve she suddenly stopped and stared into the den, her tail huge and fluffy. She let out a terrifying hiss. 

The couple stared at each other, then said in unison. “The desk.” 

She felt nauseous, confused. The terrible feeling in her stomach was back, spreading throughout her body. She felt sick. 

“Get it out of here.” She said to Steve. “Now.”

***

Driving back to the city Megan was quiet. The shopkeeper hadn’t appeared surprised to see them when they unloaded the desk and brought it back in. The cashier didn’t hesitate to give her a full refund on her charge card. 

Before leaving the shop she took one last look over her shoulder. The desk was back in its original spot, looking gorgeous and obviously very happy. Over the jingle of the door chimes she was almost sure she heard “Welcome home” whispered as she stepped out into the cool summer day.

September 04, 2023 13:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Chris Miller
20:12 Sep 11, 2023

Nicely done, Hannah. A simple but effective story that built up to a very creepy bit. Good stuff.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:23 Sep 11, 2023

Thank you so much, Chris! It was so much fun to write!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E. Fois
08:50 Sep 11, 2023

This is really creepy. If I found anyone in the room, I think I would die of a heart attack! After all, they were lucky to get a full refund!

Reply

Hannah Lynn
19:53 Sep 11, 2023

I agree! I would jump out of my skin ha ha ha !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:55 Sep 10, 2023

Suddenly finding a woman at your desk at night is seriously creepy. This was the best part of the story. Love it.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
14:11 Sep 10, 2023

Thanks so much, Almira! I definitely don't want to find that woman at my desk in real life, that's for sure!! I'm so glad you liked the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
17:48 Sep 09, 2023

Some items are best left in the store! interesting and snappy take on the prompt, well done and good luck! I'd say it suits horror and suspense better as a tag than sci-fi.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:41 Sep 09, 2023

Kevin, Thanks for reading The Lake House!! Yes, you are right about the tags, horror and suspense rather than sci-fi. I just changed it. I appreciate you pointing that out to me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeannette Miller
15:36 Sep 09, 2023

Hannah, An cool take on the prompt. Well done :) Some people have to learn the hard way, haha.

Reply

Hannah Lynn
23:38 Sep 09, 2023

Jeannette, Thanks so much for reading my story and for the positive feedback! Yes, good point ... some people really do have to learn the hard way!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.