1 comment

Sad

  • Thou, shall remit dues according to thy occupancy. Dereliction to achieve consequently shall result in any consequence thy king perceives bestowing. 
  • Thou shall oblige to thy kings bidding. Furthermore, symptoms betokening disobedience or negligence to commit to thy responsibilities shall result in a paramount audience with thy queen, in which he shall deliver thy sentencing. 
  • thou shall go in stations of shelter immediately at 7:30 definite; those who neglect to thy midnight responsibility shall be confined to thy home until thy king perceives relevant. 
  • Thou who receives a calling to thy royal palace shall at once orchestrate a route to thy appointed domain. 
  • Thou shall notify unspecified newborns so thy ecclesiastics may refurbish thy household documents. 
  • 3rd Law of Crystal (Section 87 book five) repealed: Thy royal soldier seeking shelter shall at once be granted thy chambers, ablutions, cuisine, and accommodation one has, plus any luxury thy shelter ought to contribute. Furthermore, any royal soldier seeking shelter shall become the head household of thy designated station thy is sojourning, for the residual term thy shall occur there. 
  • Thy royal guards may utilize whatever method thee perceive relevant to arrange individual inhabitants of Crystal to embrace thy command. 
  • Thy King and Nobles, naturally, shall be exempt from thy Laws of Crystal.


I stare at the Laws of Crystal portrait every household is required to have. 

It's smack dap above my small brown bed. My room is very brown and bland, I only have a bed and a nightstand next to it. Besides that mere furniture, I have nothing else to claim as my own.


I've always wondered who came up with the rules, obviously not a peasant. These rules mostly benefit the royal family, council members, nobles, and anybody who receives special treatment from the King himself. So basically 5% of the population here in Crystal. Substantially everybody wonders this, of course, nobody dares voice these concerns, the current king and past kings are quite infamous for their consequences they "bestow". I mean why even use the word "bestow" to imply they are generously giving a gift, most of the punishments they "gift" are horrible. 


"Lilac, love, dinner is ready." I hear my mother's angelic voice waft up to my cramped room and break me from my thoughts.


I run towards the dining room, we can't usually afford supper, so I'm considerably thrilled to get the excess food in my stomach. I am disheartened to see a feeble broth with no meat and 1 or 2 vegetable pieces in my bowl.


I look up at my mother questioningly. She sees my disgruntled expression and sighs profoundly. "Yes, I know it isn't much, honey, but the tax representatives came a full week came earlier than our destinated tax time...Well, let's just say we are very lucky they didn't come for the full payment today." She smiles, her eyes wary.


"They shouldn't have come early, in the first place" I mumble as I hunker down on a rachitic chair.


"If it makes you feel better, I did obtain a wedge of Baker Tom's brilliant three chocolate cake" I hear my mother murmur.


"Hmm? How'd you afford such a luxury?" I ask, moderately accusingly.


"Ahh, let's just say particular dresses make me teary-eyed when I look at them." She replies, mysteriously. I raise an eyebrow, slowly the weight of what she said dawns on me. My eyes go as wide as saucers.


"No..." I pause. ''Did you really, mother. Why it was worth far more than a few silver pieces." She looks at me, I notice her broth untouched.


"It wasn't worth much at all, you see, your father simply bought a fake replica worth no more than a couple of wooden pennies. So not only was he a scoundrel he was a cheap scoundrel. That stupid white wedding dress was only worth a few bad memories."


I'm surprised to hear this. Before my father broke the law then ran off with a female rouge, he adored my mother and showered her with as many riches as he could afford.


"Perhaps..." my mother says slowly "He was a cheap gold digger. He only married me because I was in favor of King Hellion."


As I munch on my few carrots and swallow the last of my soup, I ponder this thought. It was quite probable, my mother was a favorite cook among the royal family, enlarging her extraordinary privileges than a general laborer. That is until she unwittingly wedded Herbert Shawn, a notorious thief of the royal family at night.


After a seemingly finite long silence, I say "Mother, you should eat that soup, I think it will do you some good."


She stares at me as if looking through my very soul then laughs heartily, a true light in her eyes "This broth is a mere filler, love. It has absolutely few to none nutritious value."


I shrug "Something is better than nothing. If you're not going to have and since you taught me to never waste food-"


I am abruptly interrupted by a loud knock on our door. It's so loud I fear the fragile wooden door will get knocked down. My mother, being the very elegant woman she is, stands up without bumping a single thing. This is saying something since our "Dining" room, which also serves as our kitchen and living room, is a very tight space. She opens the door and answers 


"Oh, well hello, sire. What can I do for you during this late evening."


A gruff voice replies "I need a place to stay. By law, you are required to give any luxury this household has to me, a royal soldier." he says plainly.


I refuse to look at the man and turn my head away from the door. My mind immediately refers to the portrait atop of my bed, this man is correct, my mother must comply and give him his room. Suddenly, I get confused. This home is a one-floor house, with one main room and two bedrooms. Either I or my mother must leave our room and share a bed.


"I see." My mother says just as plainly as the man. She continues. "I was not expecting such an honorable guest, therefore, I must make preparations for you."


"Very well, make it quick. I leave the first thing at dawn, with an ample breakfast, of course."


My mother purses her lips and says "Of course." not exactly rudely but you can tell she doesn't want him here too. My mother is in a tough situation. She doesn't have enough ingredients for an "Ample" breakfast and it's past curfew, so she can't purchase them even if she could manage to purchase enough ingredients. However, she can't deny him this luxury. My mother ponders this, then her eyes light up


"As the law states, I must give you any luxury we have. However, we don't have enough supplies to give you the meal you request, thus not giving to you this supposed luxury will not be breaking the law, either."


He frowns deeply, opens his mouth then pauses. Finally, the man says. "Then I suppose I shall find other methods to persuade you otherwise."


He smiles slowly as my mother frowns deeply. Then he states loudly, "I shall take whatever few silver pieces you own currently, so I may purchase the ingredients for you. As you could've presumed, there is a drawback. I'm a great man, as you can see, I shall have this whole house to myself, in retaliation for purchasing the ingredients for breakfast."


My mother looks at him, puzzled and angry. "Even if I were to endure your proposal, which I can't because I cannot even produce an insufficient meal for me and my child, Where shall I and my winsome daughter stay?" She asks flatly.


"That is for thou to determine, not me. It would signify infringing the authority to decline my proposition, nonetheless, because you can provide me your homestead. You're reckoned solely luxury to donate." The man says while smiling.


"Lilac, dear, please come to me. We will be forced to ask for another shelter, while this kind gentleman stays here." 


My mother states "Kind Gentleman" in a style to insinuate he was not kind nor a gentleman. Nevertheless, I am swiftly at my mothers' side and I am forced to get a good view of the man before me. He has burly arms and muscular legs, he is not in the traditional white armored royal palace outfit, instead is dressed in a casual shirt and shorts. I can see the long hair on his legs. Which is quite disgustingly covered in dirt and grime might I add. His face is cleared of any facial hair and his jet black hair is slicked back with oil, finished with a top hat. His eyes are a virulent shade of blue, staring deeply at my mother with such contempt.


"Wait" I blurt out abruptly. Both my mother and the man's eyes bore into me, both exasperated I obstructed their conversation.


"Why do thou have such a lavish hat with such infrequent garments." I finish hastily. My mother keeps quiet, sensing trouble brewing. The man blushes a violent shade of red, his face contorted in a brutish way.


He says "Now, adolescent youth. Do thou yearn to be forfeited? And must you inadequate child know, it's a noble inclination within the imperial manor." His voice rising.


I can't help myself, so externally reflecting, I say "Oh, I wasn't informed it was a charitable impulse to clothe foolishly within the walls of the Royal Palace."


My mother's eyes go wide, her mouth forming an "o" in utter shock, her hands immediately go to mine, and clutches them hard. I make an anguished look hoping my mother will stop squeezing so hard.


The man, embarrassed with my bold statements, says barely above a whisper "I am a philanthropic gentleman, therefore go escape, before I arrest thou for improper conduct towards me."


He is bent down, his face is right in front of me, I can detect wine and liquor emanating from his breath. He then rises to his full height, steps into my home, and motions for me and my mother to leave. My mother is about to step outside when she abruptly pauses.


She turns around to face the man then says "We cannot leave our home due to curfew." He cocks his head sideways, pushes my mother outside then pushes me outside.


"Your problem, not mine. I suggest you find a shelter speedily ere a watchman grabs you, so scram." Then he slams the door in my mother's face. 


May 25, 2021 16:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

13:44 Jun 08, 2021

If you read this story, please give some constructive criticism. I'm new to writing and would truly appreciate it. (I'll upvote it, too!!)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.