The "Be Happy" Garden Nanny

Submitted into Contest #191 in response to: Start your story with your character(s) going to buy some flowers.... view prompt

1 comment

Happy Inspirational

The excitement of the morning was almost more than my fluttering heart could take. Finally, beautiful spring weather had arrived and that meant a trip to my favorite flower and garden center. I'd been waiting through months of grueling weather to get back to my passion, gardening. The loom and gloom of the winter months had me in a rut. The thoughts of just strolling through the greenhouses and taking in the beauty of those fresh plants was trivial to some, but to me it was exhilarating. I was like a kid waiting for Santa Claus. I couldn't get dressed quickly enough, perk the coffee and get out of the house. I was thrilled to move all the plants I'd had inside for the winter months out to the porch and patio. I nursed and pampered them while I shared in their thrill of being outside. Just imagine the feeling those plants had basking in that warm sunshine and fresh air after being housed for months.  I swear within an hour they were glowing, I could almost hear them thanking me. I had guests coming in for the weekend and fresh flowers were a must have. It was time to get on with my quest. 

I was jubilant as I pulled into my favorite gardening shop, "JC's Flower Pot". I had not been in months and it felt like a vacation. Her facebook post from the previous day announcing her opening for the season was music to my ears. I felt like my grandchildren did when we pulled up to Disney World, that's how anxious I was to get inside.  The entrance was surrounded by illuminating beauty. The vibrant colored flowers, the feel of spring, plants and flowers everywhere. There were planters of all colors, shapes and sizes. Windmills blowing, giving off a happy vibe. Hummingbird feeders hanging, with an assortment of flowers just to attract the birds. It was exuberant.! Walking in was as thrilling to me as walking into a Chocolate Shop.

I heard the owner squealing the minute she saw my face. Probably thinking, here she comes with her pocketbook!  "Oh it's so good to see you," she happily shouted. "And I'm so happy to be here," I replied.

We hugged each other as us "Southern's" do and she proceeded to show me around. I really didn't need the guided tour, I just wanted to stroll and take it all in. She showed me all her new gardening gadgets and filled me in on things to come. Before I knew what had happened, she'd talked me into ordering some cherry blossom trees for later in the season. Here in North Carolina they should be planted in the early fall. She was planning to order soon to make sure they arrived in time for planting season. I'd always wanted a Yoshino Cherry so I couldn't resist. I couldn't resist ordering the Japanese Kwanza as well. In the same breath I hear myself telling her to put together a Tulip arrangement for me also. I needed a center piece for the weekend. Tulips are my favorite, but for some reason they just won't grow for me.  I had many favorites and she seemed to know exactly what they were. They all seemed to be jumping out at me. I was dangerous in this place and I had just gotten started. There's just something about being among those flowers and plants that is good for the soul. After being cooped up all winter I felt alive again. There was a joy back in my spirit and just the atmosphere of this lovely place was a great boost for my attitude. Flowers and plants are really happy biotics. 

I left there happy. I headed home to introduce my new babies to their forever home. My tulip arrangement was breathtaking. She always does the most magnificent arrangements. I couldn't wait for my girlfriends to arrive and be filled with jealousy over this beauty. Only joking, but I knew they'd love and appreciate this dazzling arrangement as much as I did.  Loaded in the back were two pink Hydrangea bushes, and one blue. They were simply gorgeous. I'd plant them a little later in the summer, but they would be spectacular on the patio. Two Hibiscus bushes, which I didn't need considering I had several already. Several packages of seeds for sun flowers and lily buds. It was going to be a busy afternoon, arranging and planting while preparing for my guest. I unloaded the treasures and couldn't wait to walk inside and place the Tulips. Oh boy, were they magnificent? They lit up the room like a blazing fire does in the winter months. Only this ambience wasn't the warm and cozy of the fire, but a radiance of freshness, beauty, and rejuvenation. Flowers are always capable of bringing out the brightness in someone's spirit. They had surely given me a newfound spark!  

It was a beautiful afternoon and I had caught it just when the air was cooling down enough to enjoy. I arranged the hibiscus numerous times on the patio. I loved placing them on the patio and it had to be the perfect spot. They were not only beautiful when blooming but attracted hummingbirds like a magnet. As always I named each of them. Rosie and Ella had found their perfect place. These girls would love the endless sunshine. I'd love having them greet me on those mornings when I enjoyed my first java of the day on the patio. I'm sure we'd share many conversations, yes I do talk to my plants. I'd left the hydrangeas out front to be arranged on the screened porch. I like having the mixed colors of blue and pink at the entrance. It's soft and inviting to walk into and sets the stage for a pleasant welcoming. Hydrangeas are such a southern flower and used often on special occasions. I'll love having them there, but soon as the shedding begins it will be time to find them a permanent place in the ground. Oh, but what beauties they grow into. What wonderful memories they bring back from days at my Grandmothers. She had the largest, most beautiful hydrangeas ever, and even as a young child I recognized the beauty in them. With time slipping away, the lily buds and sunflower seeds would have to wait.

Later that evening as I'm relaxing with a nice glass of wine and overjoyed with the lovely tulip arrangement I couldn't keep my eyes off it. Suddenly bang, I heard a crash coming from the screened in porch. Rushing to the porch, I'm startled to see my pink hydrangea crashing and dying on the floor, I was devastated. My precious Olly Elvis, my very rambouish shi-poo, had turned over one of the hydrangeas. Of course I'm sure he thought he had a new play thing and no major damage was done. However my first reaction was that he had killed one of my new children. I was livid and afraid that irreparable damage had been done. Sadly I was screaming at my baby boy, it terrified him. After a moment of hysteria and guilt from scolding Olly, something hit me. I suddenly burst into laughter. I was not going to let this mishap caused by an innocent puppy rob me of the joy these new plants and flowers had brought me today. I immediately began the clean up talking merrily to the plant explaining about my puppy! It had been a great day full of a new found energy and pleasure in the new blossoming beauty around me. Nothing was going to ruin my day these flowers had brought me back to life. So anytime you need a "pick me up", go buy yourself some flowers. We all deserve the happiness that a simple flower can bring.

March 27, 2023 12:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Phyllis Wrench
16:19 Apr 10, 2023

Absolutely loved this, makes you fall in love all over again with spring and the beauty and joy of Gods beautiful flowers , great writing, 👏👏👏👏👍👌

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.