0 comments

Historical Fiction Mystery

The Lamp

Prologue

A massive apartment block burst into flames. “Now,” hissed the voice inside my head,”Do it now!” The building was now collapsing. I had to do it now, I had to do it fast. All those innocent lives. All that destruction! I can’t bear it! “Ok, I'm going to do it, I’m going to do it!” I did it...

Chapter 1: Strike

Legend has it that a rich, but surprisingly ordinary family holds a very unique key. The key is used to open a very mysterious and powerful chest; a chest of which nobody but the ordinary family knows the contents. The family refuses to use it knowing they would not use it for the correct reasons.  The key, chest, and especially the wonder inside were not known by anyone except the family as you already know. One night, on the 17th September 1689; a new era had officially occurred.

I was creeping down the main corridor, ready to finally achieve my destiny. My parents have always told me never to open the chest, but tonight, I’m doing some rule breaking!... I crouched down, my long, cold fingers scraped across the poorly placed wooden planks of 22 Crow street, trying to find the camouflaged trapdoor... I jumped up in shock! I did it! I found something!...

I ran out to the disgusting, noisy, and smelly horse stable to find a wrench. The flat ground next to the horse stable was wet, muddy and smelt like horse manure. “Neigh!” exclaimed the horses. “Shhhhh,” I shushed, “It’s 2 o’clock in the morning, you’ll wake my parents up.” I was power-hungry and really didn’t want my parents knowing.

Finally, after cleaning the horse manure off my boots so as not to leave a stinky, sloppy trail on the wood, I found the wrench I had been searching for. I stepped quietly into the lush, beautiful, jungle green garden. Bang! The thunder became louder and louder by the second! The heaviness of the rain was increasing rapidly! Lightning struck! I counted the seconds…1…2 bang! Two seconds, that was close. Little did I know the next one was going to be even closer… BANG! Lightning smashed the neighbour’s outhouse, sending it into a ball of flame! (“shame,” the next-door neighbour, marge said, “I needed to go to the potty!”).  The lightning almost blinded me, and even worse, woke up the parents…

Chapter 2: Flames

A flaming plank of wood soared over the fence and into our beautiful garden. Soon our magnificent grass was becoming flaming hot ashes. I ran with all my might into the horse stable and luckily found a large, metal bucket. I dipped it in an unquestionably deep puddle caused by the heavy, pouring rain. I swung the bucket forward and the water soared out of it, I repeated these four more times and eventually the fire came to a halt.

My plans were annoyingly interrupted for one night, I guess it will just have to wait until the 17th. First, I put the wrench back in the disgusting horse stables, then I quietly closed the trapdoor. “Mother, Father,” I called, “the neighbour’s outhouse is on fire, Marge would appreciate it if you put it out.” Mother and Father raced through the long, painting-filled corridor and put out the fire. My mouth hung open in shock! There was no outhouse! The fire had destroyed it!...

I simply couldn’t sleep, memories of the raging fire are glued in my thoughts. I remember how the burning plank of wood soared over the fence, turning our lush grass into dirty, black ashes. I remember how I had to use all my strength to repeatedly hurl the bucket of water at the fire. I remember how Mother and Father raced down the long family corridor to put the fire out.

I was extremely annoyed that my plans had been unfortunately interrupted. I finally drifted off to sleep. I dreamt that I got the wrench and opened the trapdoor. Then I climbed down the ladder very carefully with the key in my palm. I then opened the chest to see the wonder inside…

Chapter 3: Second Attempt

It was the 17th September 1689; I snatched the key from under a loose plank of wood and officially started my second attempt. I quickly grabbed the wrench and I easily found the trapdoor because I’d made a marking on it before I pretended to go to bed. I opened the trapdoor with the wrench as quietly as I could, which still wasn’t quiet, and cautiously climbed down the ladder.

I realised I’d almost completed my mission. I would become the most powerful person in the world. What could possibly go wrong now? I saw a door so I ventured onwards... 

The door had a riddle carved into the wood. If apple=1, orange=6 and grapefruit=13 then grapefruit-orange+apple+grapefruit+apple-orange+grapefruit+grapefruit-orange-grapefruit=... “Hmm,” I thought,”I learnt this at school.” I tried and tried over and over again until I finally got the answer. “23,” I announced with a look of triumph on my face...

 The door swung open to reveal the bright golden chest in the centre of the circular room. The room spun around and descended creating a spiral staircase leading down to the bottom. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, I did a breakdance (breakdances weren’t invented until the early 70’s, I don’t mean the 1670’s, I mean the 1970’s. I have no idea how someone from  the 17th century learnt how to breakdance) and shoved the key into the keyhole. I then twisted it around. The chest swung open to reveal… THE LAMP!...

Chapter 4: Extreme Power of The Lamp

I carefully took the lamp out of it’s chest and stroked it like the most precious item in the world, which it was. Stroke! Stroke! Stroke! A blue swirl of air slowly slithered out of the bright golden lamp. A marvellous creature that could bring peace and harmony but could also bring death and destruction was staring at me, curious to know my first wish…

“So,” the genie said impatiently,”Whatever it is, I want to hear it.” “Okay,” I muttered under my  breath,”Here goes... I want to be the king, I want to sit on the throne every day with no problems at all, who would care about all those dirty peasants on the outside, they will only obey me! Meee! Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!”

The genie started creating the bricks of Buckingham palace. Suddenly, I found myself sitting on the Royal Throne. I was wearing the royal crown, which is property of the king himself! The king was me…

My dream had finally come true. After everything that has happened to me while trying to achieve my dreams, it was as easy as drinking hot chocolate. I Undoubtedly relish my life now, everything is running smoothly. I have the lamp carefully hidden from thieves. Nobody would be able to steal it. Or so I thought…

Chapter 5: Royal Death

Crash! A window ear-piercingly shattered, causing the whole of the royal palace to wake up. A man dressed in pitch black with a burglar-mask could be heard threatening a Royal Guard with his Musket. He stepped quietly upstairs, trying not to alert the king…

At this point in time I steadily awoke. I heard kicking on the door, so I rang the bell to signal the guards. I prepared to evacuate, I opened the window and tried to climb through when I heard a gunshot on the door. Sure enough, the thiefs’ hand was reaching through the hole in the door made by his musket, trying to unlock it. I was petrified…

Click! The door opened as the black, shaggy stranger stepped inside. He forced me out the window and I landed with a thud in a bush. “HOW DARE YOU COMMIT SUCH A TREASON,” I shouted up at him. He had only just realised I was still alive. He aimed his Musket at me. Bang!...

I had a strange feeling, it felt as if I didn’t exist. I was floating around, not having the faintest idea where I was, just stuck in a pool of black. I floated down to the surface, not that I could see it. I forced myself into a sleeping position, then I closed my eyes, ready to fall asleep. Forever…

Chapter 6: Thief Life

It was the 18th of september 1689; and I have been searching for a while now. I need to find something valuable before the guards come. I carefully examine the floor, something isn’t quite right. A floorboard seems a bit loose and out of place. I lifted the floorboard up. I couldn’t believe my eyes!...

I pulled out a golden key and an even more golden lamp, then jumped out of the window, landing in a thorny bush.”Ouch!” I decided to go straight back to my hideout, taking my precious loot with me…

Once I reached my hideout down a dark alley, I realised words were engraved on the key. ‘Property of 22 crow street,’ it read. They might have good stuff too, let's go there. Actually, I remember that house, it’s a massive mansion, and it looks like I have the key to it!...

But first I need a good night's sleep. As usual, I slept on the ground. Shortly, that was all going to change. This gold will bring me fountains of money, or it might bring me power, if I use it well. I will rise up to conquer the world. I am more strategic than Albert Einstein (even though he wasn’t around in 1689).

 Chapter 7: Robbery Number Two

It was the 19th of september 1689; I tried to unlock the door with the key I stole. It didn’t work. I kicked the door down. It worked. I saw an open trapdoor. I climbed inside with immense care. I saw a door. It was open. I clambered into a room with a spiral staircase leading to… Somewhere...

I did a breakdance when I reached the bottom. That's when I saw it. A beautiful, golden chest… I took the key… Forced it in the keyhole… I’m going to see whatever wonder is inside very soon, the wonder was…

NOTHING! LITERALLY, NOTHING! I was outraged. “NOTHING,” I roared,”HOW COULD THERE BE NOTHING INSIDE THE CHEST, I WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SOMETHING AND GUESS WHAT I FOUND, I FOUND (drum roll please)... NOTHING!”

I heard footsteps, then someone on the telephone. I couldn’t escape; nor could I hide down here forever. I knew the police were coming. I was  just going to have to accept that my thieving career was coming to an end. I was finally going to jail…

Chapter 8: Sick-Or So They Thought

The horror, the horror. I cannot live like this! Another breakfast of slop sandwich followed my moaning. I needed to escape, and fast. I sat in my grey, dull, jail cell, constantly thinking about how I could trick the guards.

It was exercise time. There was a knife in one of the guards pockets. I grabbed it and stabbed myself in the arm. I drank it then pretended to cough it out,”Oh no! I’m coughing up blood!”A guard opened the door. He gestured for me to follow him…

I reached an ambulance carriage, I stepped inside.I realised I was stabbed in the arm! (he’s forgetful when he’s losing blood). I could feel myself losing blood, fast! I had to escape the carriage. 3...2...1...JUMP! I waited for the carriage to stop, the policeman stepped out and aimed a punch at me, I dodged the punch and aimed one back...Woohoo, right on the nose! I knocked him out cold! And broke his nose!...

I was losing blood rapidly! I rubbed the lamp three times. The pain, the pain! An amazing blue creature swirled out of the brilliant lamp. “Just make my pain go away,” I wished,”Just stop all of this blood!” The Genie Smirked,”No problemo.” Suddenly I froze. Wait a sec’, my blood had literally stopped! I had a strange feeling, it felt as if I didn’t exist. I made myself into a sleeping position somewhere before finally falling asleep… Forever…

Chapter 9: Policeman Wakes

I found myself on the pathway of the high street. I could see a dark alleyway and a man lying asleep on the dirty, hard, ground. I felt a sudden jolt of pain in my nose. It all came back to me…

The man escaped from the carriage. I tried to punch him but unfortunately missed. He punched me square on the nose, it was unquestionably painful. Then everything went black. I strolled over to the man when I noticed something gold shining bright near where the man lay.

I walked over to the man. I rolled him over… HE WAS DEAD! Oh, no! Oh, no! people will think I failed to deliver him to hospital on time! HE WASN’T COUGHING UP BLOOD, HE JUST SPAT BLOOD OUT!

Never mind, never mind, no one will notice. they will just think he is asleep, just like I did. Well if he was dead, would it really be robbery to steal the golden lamp-like object on the dark, dirty alleyway? Could I be Imagining it? But the way the lamp sat upright, and the way it shone right into the dead mans’ face, it almost looked…Triumphant…

Chapter 10: Further Investigation

I was just sitting there staring at the lamp; and then back to the dead man again. If people saw me, they would think I had killed him. I finally decided to chuck him in the dumpster! Evil never deserves a proper burial!

Now, I don’t have to worry about that stupid man anymore. All my focus has gone into this strange, golden, triumphant-looking, lamp… Dawn was rising. I could hear loud chatter from the noble folk of london…

“Have you ever seen Aladdin in those books?”Asked one,”Yes, Yes, very delightful,” said a second,”My favourite character in this, oh so joyous film is the so-called genie!”Exclaimed a third.

 Genies Come from lamps. That's it! The lamp has a genie in it! If I just rub the lamp three times the genie will emerge!... I will have power beyond anyone's imagination! “I’LL RULE THE, WOOOOORLD!...”

Chapter 11: Wish of the Obviously Power-Hungry Policeman

I rubbed the lamp three times… Rub! Rub! Rub! “WOW!” I thought out loud. The Genie was... AMAZING! It took me a moment to believe what I was seeing. (In case you don’t know, it takes a long time to process that you are seeing a blue, human faced, swirl of air).

“One more wish,” Announced the Genie carelessly. “One?” I said in a mix of anger and confusion. “You heard me, one.” Replied the genie,”And get on with it,” added the genie, now starting to get a bit impatient.

“Here goes, I wish to be the most powerf-” Someone had jumped off a building and landed on top of me so hard that I… DIED… I was floating around, not knowing where I was… Non-existent… I layed down on the hard, invisible surface. I drifted off to sleep. Forever…

Constable Timothy was Investigating the body. He turned it over and- There shone the wondrous lamp. The genie had had another owner of the lamp die. Only this time, by pure  non-luck…

Chapter 12: Final Wish

“That’s my lamp!” I shouted at the policeman, “It got stolen from me.” “Well, here you go,” replied the policeman, trying to hide his disappointment. It’s so strange… My son disappears one night, the king dies the next, and then I find a policeman holding my lamp that must have come from the dead person…

All these horrors. All these deaths and disappearances. I just can’t cope anymore. I need to use the lamp! I’ve finally figured it out!...My son took the lamp and wished to be king, The dead man stole the lamp and wished for something, he ended up dying... 

So there is one wish left!... (even though his story isn’t entirely true because he’s missing the second owner, his conclusion is true. Yes, there is one more wish). I rubbed the lamp quickly three times. The sooner the better…

A massive apartment block burst into flames. “Now,” hissed the voice inside my head,”Do it now!” The building was now collapsing. I had to do it now, I had to do it fast. All those innocent lives. All that destruction! I can’t bear it! “Ok, I'm going to do it!” 3...2...1...GO! “I WISH FOR NO INNOCENT LIVES TO BE LOST!”

Epilogue 

I felt a calm, but exciting sensation. Wind whistled through my ears. I decided to take a walk to see what I had done for the world… I happily strolled on the pathway of the high street. No more worrying homeless people who did nothing wrong to be homeless in the first place. No more innocent people worrying that the guy walking down the street with a musket was going to shoot them. “No more innocent lives can be lost!” I shouted happily,”Can you believe it? Can I believe it?. I’m a hero... And I feel GREAT! 

The End

First discovery of Karma

In case you haven’t noticed, everyone who did or tried to use the lamp for evil got a taste of evil themselves. This is called karma (in Hinduism and Buddhism The sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences). If you do good, good will be done to  you. If you do evil, evil will be done to you. All evil-doers in this story got a fresh taste of karma, and I assure you the good-doer also got a fresh taste of karma. The better fresh taste of karma. Good day! 

August 26, 2021 03:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.