The Cynic Makes A Fortunate Mistake

Submitted into Contest #237 in response to: Write about a cynical character who somehow ends up on a blind date.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Mystery Fiction


Fred Contemplates Making a Deal in a Hurry

There, that’s what I want to get, even if it is available on-line, a purchasing path that can often lead to trouble. I am always leery about such deals. But I need to get a birthday present double quick, as I had completely forgotten it until I woke up this morning. I know that my sister wants an air-fryer, although why she wants one I do not really know. I think that it is just a fad that will disappear in a few months. Maybe a water fryer will be the next such fad. Who knows?

I haven’t tried this on-line service before, but as it is confined to what is available in my town, I figure that I can drive to the owner’s place and pick it up quickly. I haven’t much time. My sister’s birthday is tomorrow. I believe that a late present is almost as bad as no present at all. I know that she thinks that way too.

Fred Begins His Quest

Fred runs through the list of items available. It does not take him long to find someone who is selling cheap a air-fryer. He might have enough time to clean it up if it has been used a lot. The site is at a restaurant, ‘Blend In,’ that he knows is fairly close to where he lives. He thinks that they probably came to realize that an air-fryer had proven to be no good for their business. Not a surprise to him.

Before he types in his request, he looks at the next site and shakes his head in disgust. It is simply called ‘Blind Dates’. He thinks to himself that ‘Blind Fools’ would be a better name for it. Someone might just end up with his ex-wife. He laughs out loud at his own joke, which unfortunately triggers a coughing fit which disorients him for a couple of seconds. When he coughs like that his eyes open and close several times. 

When he can see clearly again he returns to looking at his computer screen, sees what appears to be the trigger word Blend, and types in the following message: “I am very interested in what you are offering. As it is Saturday, I can come to your place in a matter of minutes. Please let me know if someone has taken you up on the offer before me. I will understand.” He shook his head at the last bit. He isn’t usually that polite.

It was only a matter of minutes before his message has been answered in the positive. The reply was a simple “Come on down to 227 Main Street and we will talk.”

Fred didn’t remember that being the exact address of the restaurant, but it had been a while since he gone there, not since his divorce, so he couldn’t be very sure whether he was right or wrong.

Fred Drives to His Destination

           Fred gets into his car and drives to and along Main Street. The road is actually officially called Greenwood Drive now, named after a former mayor from a few years back. But those, like Fred who couldn’t stand the man when he was alive and, in Fred’s view, lording over his fellow citizens, still called the road by the old name of Main Street. He had always referred to him as Deadwood when the man was mayor. He had been happy to see that the person he was going to buy the air-fryer from appeared to think the same way about the Greenwood naming, and presumably the former mayor as well.

           Fred is a little surprised when he sees that 227 is not the restaurant that he thought would be there, but someone’s house. That didn’t matter much to him. At least he wouldn’t be pressured into having dinner there as well. He hated to eat alone in a restaurant. He felt it make him look like a major loser.

Fred Meets With Brenda

           Fred parked his car in a nearby parking lot, shaking his head at the way that some people had parked their cars at several different angles. It looked to him like the drivers had parked their vehicle with their eyes firmly shut, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Then he walked along the sidewalk to the house that was two doors down from the parking lot.

           He knocked on the door that bore the number 227, and the person living there, a woman of about his own age, and quite good looking, opened the door. Then he spoke, not about the product he was there to buy, but about the way that ‘some people’ had parked in the parking lot. He was surprised by her supportive response:

           “Yeah, I know. You’d think that they had parked with their eyes shut, or after having a couple of strong drinks before getting into their cars.”

           “That was my impression too. I think that you might have the same negative impression that I have about air-fryers too.”

           “Funny that you should say that. I feel the same way. I think that it is just a passing fad. Who knows, maybe in a few months there might be water-fryers too.”

           “Again, we have the same view. You are obviously a woman of some intelligence, and not a short-sighted follower of mindless fashion.”

           “That was one of the main reasons why my husband and I separated and divorced. He was just such a follower of many a thoughtless trend. He wore his cap backwards, foolish for someone in his 40s, and had his hair buzzed down on the side, with a bush up above.”

           “You were right to dump such a fellow.”

           “Well, this on-line dating service is something that I have never done before, and I am beginning to see that my cynicism was misplaced in this case.”

           Fred was stunned for a few seconds by what she had just said. He had made his pitch at the wrong site. He didn’t want to tell her that, as he was enjoying her company.

           He replied with a predictable, “I was cynical too, about such sites, but I am no longer”. 

           She smiled at Fred, and asked him “Would you like to go to dinner at Blend In? It is one of the few restaurants on Main Street that I trust to serve a decent meal.”

           “Myself as well. I haven’t been there since my ex-wife and I separated.”

Fred Gets An Opportunity

           After they ordered their meals, Brenda said that she had to go to the washroom. This provided an opportunity for Fred. He went up to the counter and asked about the availability of the air-fryer. He was in luck. He paid for it and told the the cashier that he would pick it up on Sunday. All was well with his world.                  


February 12, 2024 19:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.