2 comments

Black Fiction Inspirational

It was a tense situation from federal to local government level in the whole country.I don't think many are still surprised by the incidents  that each election year ushers in. Many that are adults in the middle '90s knew that this era and naughty incidents they come with each four year election us due is kindergarten case compared to tertiary cases of election days of the '90s. That period, it was kidnappings and killings of opponents and ceasing of the current leaders and holding them hostage in their own bedrooms and toilets for days. This time it is carting away ballot boxes and bribing electoral officials and announcing fake results. To the voters of the '90s, this is bullshits, kids play. Some want to see blood as long as it is that of the contestants not  voters, people don't care that much. The same issue the body in charge of election has been settling without success for many people and the Ikan State that are trying to send their governor away for  reasons that the state governor is minding his business not wanting to be controlled by anyone, godfather or state house. 

The issue there had bordered on the past immediate governor that is now a minister of agriculture trying his best to control his state from the federal level. This is the seat he just vacated and why he is so interested in it again at the federal level is not only confusing, but disturbing also. He had been directing the governor on what to do so that the new man became tired of listening to his bullshit requests and decided to ignore his calls entirely. That move sent a message across to the federal man that nay, the new man wants to be the man of himself and as expected, the godfather didn't like it and reacted.

He sent the state house of assembly after the new governor Mr. Johnson Igberu. They started finding and hearing what they had not been hearing and seeing  faults they had not been seeing. The tension was overflowing and many of the allegations did not make sense. Never impeachable offenses and the state house members were so ilk by the fact that the governor was even fighting back instead of secretly distributing money and calling for  trusses. So they had concluded that it was time to show him who the actual leaders of the state were. 

The noise coming from the state were overheating the polity and the people don't like it. The state house of the assembly were not hearing any excuses any longer and the war became a kind of tribal issue. The federal government was telling them it was too early, but it had gone personal and you know that when anything has gone personal  in the format that state issue had, it's  always bad news. They went to court to the surprise of many because the constitution gave them the right of impeachment and the court had no party to play there. "why do we even have to answer the court sermon, this is our sole constitutional provisions to dismiss the governor. Nothing concerns court here" a member of the house told his colleagues. But many others told him that they should go just to honor all protocols so that the federation would know that they followed all protocols.  At the supreme court, the governor came out victorious and that was another issue. That move plus secret backers of the governor must have asked him to act. He was sent  to the state house of assembly as they met there and started demolition. Pandemonium ensued and members that had never seen anything of such nature ran for  their lives. Most if their personal securities was withdrawn by the governor. The madness seems to have changed side and are acting out with renewed alacrity. 

The members lost public backing when it surfaced that it was the immediate past governor that was at work among the members, and that the governor is innocent of all the allegations against him. "whether innocent or clement, it's our constitutional right to remove  governor not court or the other way around" not only that the public  is no longer interested in the removal of the governor, the party the members of which the governor belonged to that were part of the group wanting the governor out were threatening to expelled by their party members.  Some lawyers were analyzing how it would affect the members once their party expelled them.  "it was under their party they won elections. If they were to be expelled, they will lose their seats" many staged people came from the federal and the state to mediate and tension as expected were smoldering underneath.

The party withdrew their threat, and the governor was asked to apologize for demolishing the state house of the assembly complex  and building another within six months. " It's an insult to knock down the state assembly complex. It's a symbol of the law and order of this state. Why must the governor be allowed to be standing when the house is down? He must be made to be down too" another still angry member was asking his colleagues. Many no longer talk but smirks  none stop.

They know that the man's questions made sense but fear has set in, coupled with moles that have moved over to the other side and still leading others on that they are still in the same boat. When money and saving face meet at the juncture they met now, it is hard to trust any politician. That is the quagmire most of the law makers found themselves in.

Money is great inducers and the governor is an apostle of Nicolo Machievelli. He gave them contracts of many things that were destroyed. Division set in and number of voices wanting the governor out reduced to the nearest minimum. All settled down to work. They started sponsoring and passing the laws the governor forwarded and the minister at the federal level lost the support of all he helped in winning election and the state returned to normality.

March 09, 2024 14:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Bendickson
15:23 Mar 10, 2024

Playing politics.

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
18:56 Mar 10, 2024

Yeah, playing that old game of politics. Thanks a lot for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.