2 comments

Sad Friendship Inspirational

My feet won’t cease its movement until the entire air in my lungs is completely deceased. With a great effort, I hold myself taking a clear view at the similar abode I left behind this morning. I had to run with all my strength to the place called “school” only to be returned with a single shoe, a torn bag and an extremely damaged sock. Its not surprising that I had to always flee from one mess to another and still didn’t come up with a valor to face them.


I gazed at the abandoned and only place of mine even though I detest its wan smokey walls, dusty window so massive that the inner filthy air moves out like an invisible smog covering the whole neighborhood. The old memories forcibly rushing into my mind as I approach my forever isolated tiny house. No welcome backs or goodbyes which was demised along with my granny who brought me up. She was always there for me and has never left me and now I had to face all the misery being a sixteen year old.


Being at a luxurious school filled with splendor and ravishing services, my days were never this worse. I always had a granny to share my dirty experience but today I lost her. Its been two days and I still can’t forget her bright smile, her encouraging words filled with immense wisdom and experience, her generous old heart, the dubious expression when I lie about my day being good, the understanding look she gave when I ran into her arms of comfort. I will cherish all our memories together, baking cakes and pies during weekends, watching our favorite episode of Undercover series and the word she said to me lying in her hospitable bed.


“Lucy, I am always there for you and you are such an amazing person. I want you to move forward and be an amazing singer which you always desire for. I may not be there for you but promise me that you will be headstrong”


Those were her last words and I was fully occupied with sorrow that I didn’t reply to her. That I can never will……


Last day was extremely saddening that I was completely paralyzed in my bed. I can’t pull myself from the pit of distress longing for a hand to reach down and pull me up. I stepped through the doorway.


The floorboards creaked after every leaden step I took. I straightened my blue turtle neck and cleaned my gray brown botanist eye wear with my never ending sleeves. I took another deep breath and entered into the hallway. The walls were colored with a light shade of pink with some floral art designs on it edges. There is a large red couch with a wooden coffee table settled at the middle of the room. A large book shelf attached to the wall. If there was one thing my granny loved, it was her historical books. She will never get tired of reading them, asking me to do the same and now they are my companion after my granny. Further, the hallway leads to a small kitchen. Even our coffee mugs were still there, along with our memories of cooking ventures together. Besides the kitchen, the house has a room fully dedicated to books, a store room, my room and my granny’s.


I stopped going to her room which probably might look menacing and desperate. I looked at the plain walls, clear of any photo frames or dirt. She never really liked placing photo frames saying that “We should live in the moment”.


“I shouldn’t have gone to school today!!” I exclaimed climbing the stairs with great force. Unlike the other day, this time they stopped me at the playground, the gang of mean girls regarding me with a disgusted look like I am piece of dirt in their 300$ shoe. They grabbed my bag forcefully and tossed all its contents out along with my granny’s photo. It went and fell into the stagnant water in the pit. I had to retrieve the damp and ruined photo and dried it with my sweater. I couldn’t sway the rage that built inside me and pushed the cheer leading girl down with much effort I can muster and got hold of my bag and dump all those things back into my bag and I started running fiercely. They started following me until they lost sight of me.


“Then lets go to mall……I need to buy a new set of compact powder, fake lashes, CC cream with a new shade of purple lipstick……huhhh……what was it? Royal horse? nope……..it’s…….” That was enough to stop me in my tracks. All my thoughts came to an abrupt end.


“Who might this be?” I whispered to myself. No one can be here to see me. Uncle Jack already left for his flight and won’t be back by tomorrow. And my parents……..they will never come. Who is it then?


“Yeahh….It’s strenuous to find a perfect shade of foundation…………………..” a brief conversation happening over the phone, I note. “Ohh….we might finish a book in the mean time…….hahahahaha” sniggering at her own joke.


A thought of unease and apprehensiveness lingered in the air. My fingers momentarily starts to fidget with my sleeve. I took a feeble step towards my granny’s bedroom. I try to hold the handle but my fingers give away then I rubbed my sweaty fingers over my skinny jeans and took a steady step to reach for the handle. When suddenly the door opened with a slam.


There, in front of me was a petite woman, maybe in her mid twenties with red polka dot dress and if the word ‘make up’ was a human, then it will surly be her. Her whole porcelain round face is highlighted perfectly, displaying her fine features along with the black smokey eye shadow on her left eye but its not done on the other eye and a dark shade of red lipstick which undoubtedly looks really……I can’t believe I am saying this but she looks magnificent. Her long blonde hair, slightly curled at the end reaching till her waist. To my dismay, she looks like a socializer or a party animal or an out going person or whatever you call it. Another reason to hate her.


Even without explaining, she leaned in briefly to give me a friendly hug, slightly slapping my shoulders in that process and move back with a gigantic smile, a human can never exhibit. Eventually, I was out of my protective cloud and went into vigilant cloud.


“Who are you?” I asked backing way, ready to go and call someone.

She regarded me with her deep set of blue eyes, studying me like how I inspected her a minute before.


“Oh….come on….You know who I am” she announced with a little chuckle. “I guess you will be…….Lakme………” examining my features, she waited for an answer and I gave her a frown.


Shaking her head, she exclaimed " noooooo?…..L’Oreal…. Lo…” before she could finish, I walked away, climbing down my stairs.


Grabbing my phone, I called my Uncle and he immediately answered.


“Lucy….how are…….”


“Who is she?”


“Who?”


“The lady who is fully covered with makeup”


“Hey….I still didn’t finish with my make up” She responded, still standing at the top of the stair case.


“Uncle……? You there.....?”


“Yeah, forgot to say that she is my colleague’s daughter. She will be your room mate……more precisely.. house mate….”


“Housemate? Seriouslllyyy???….You didn’t even asked me about it. How can you?……”


“Look…I don’t have time to deal with your lovesick tantrums. Be kind to her and I won’t be coming tomorrow. Bye. Take care. Enjoy” and he left the call. Adding sufficient fuel to the raging fire.


“I am glad you are not coming!!!” I exclaimed to no one but got an immediate reply. “We are in the same boat” she voiced with great rejoice.


“No, we are not......” I whispered and went to my room. Few hours went by and I was reading my granny’s “The Personal Librarian” which I left behind during breakfast. Books provide us comfort when people doesn't. They allow me to think deeply, providing a calm...................The next thing I know, she knocked on my door.


"Speaking of calm......." I muttered, getting off from my warm bed and leisurely moving towards the large mirror in the room.


Surveying myself in the mirror, I admired my shaggy brunette hair which is pulled up into a top knot. A "Tip to talk to me- please don't" shirt will clearly help her refrain from trying to talk to me. A lazy pants and a dark circle covering my green eyes which ignites the new forest foliage in a pure sunshine.

“I am being mean to her”, I thought to myself, she clearly deserves an introduction. I should put aside my grief and move on. It was easier said than done.


Sighing, I opened the door. Immediately, the thought of giving her a chance slipped from my mind. The house was fully covered with foul smell of something burning, with large clouds of smokes filling the my doorway and striving to enter my room. I immediately closed my room door and started searching for that woman or that lady or that girl with no name, she was no where to be found.


“What she did to my house?” I thought and then seek to look for the source from where this smoke is advancing. It's definitely from the kitchen. I ran there and found a burning pan, a black and gray omelet with a beautiful burnt bread sitting at the kitchen cabinet. The oven with a burned cookie or is it a bread??- is clearly destroyed. Gosh!!! I turn off the oven and the stove, burning my finger in the process. Unbolting the windows, wide opening them and took a step backward, allowing the giant clouds to go out.


“I am gonna kill her!!”, I thought and walked to the hallway, when I slipped over something and fell down with a high-pitched squeal. That girl was lying there, her face plant down and her one heel broken.


That was it, I called the ambulance, and now I am in the hospital room watching her lying unconsciously in the hospital bed. A male doctor, in his mid forties came around a few minutes later and here I am left with her. It was informed that she couldn’t handle the heap of smokes and now she is perfectly fine. The room is completely peaceful and tranquil, contrary to my fast pounding heart beat. I could see the doctors rushing to their respective rooms, nurses following closely behind them with adequate medical equipments. A cord of agitation and anxiousness lingered in that hospital atmosphere reaching me through the glass doors. Lot of noises stretching forth towards me but I didn't perceive any, my whole gaze is shifted to this stranger. It’s not even two days and I am back at this hospital.


Slowly, the stranger shifted from her resting position. Gradually, opening her eyes. I hold her and made her to sit. She looked at the surrounding and laughed.


“Oh m-my goodness…..I know I will one day die if I t-tried cooking again” she uttered along with a laugh and it immediately ends with a cough. I glared at her and she gives me a playful grin, “I am really s-sorry, we both couldn’t introduce ourselves properly……..so, I thought I could p-prepare a supper but now we should eat in the hospital’s cafeteria…… I hope they have l-lasagna there……..I think you would like a……” she started speaking and I interrupted her, “Are you a fool? You almost burnt my house and the only place I can live in…...I brought you to the hospital and was waiting for hours. At this moment, you can only think about food…..Are you an idiot?? Who asked you to cook in the first place??” That was the longest sentence I ever voiced over to a stranger and I left the room.


Its been two days since the outburst, she didn’t come to me ever since. I went back to the school and amount of bullying was actually increased. Today, I returned home with a broken glass as I entered the hallway, I found her lying on the couch watching the episodes of “Undercover”, trying her level best to operate the TV remote. Upon reaching her, I helped her out with the TV remote and she regarded me with a stern expression. That outburst might have enraged her, I was ready to receive a handful of deafening yelp but instead she started laughing. A few seconds later, it's clear that she noticed the questioning look on my face.


"What will you say to a broken glass?" nodding at my glass.


I looked at her furrowing my eyebrows and started squeezing my brain for an appropriate answer.


"You are..................... broke?"


"Rest in piece.........!!!" she declared proudly and started giggling. When I didn't laugh, she gave me a small frown looking at my muddled expression.


"It's P-I-E-C-E, piece instead of peace indicating the glass pieces" she explained and I can see that she is slightly annoyed with me. Still waiting for my reaction, she stared at me without blinking.


"Oh.....??" I mumbled, forcing a small grin.


She looked at me and beamed, then she went on to watch the TV. Without even thinking, I blurted out in a rush, “I am really sorry for out bursting that day. I was really concerned and was really rude to you from the very beginning. Let’s have a fresh start. ” and end it with a slight frown.


"That's not an issue........until you want me to make an oven toast" she said grinning.


"Next time......it will surely be a house toast" I mocked, smirking.


She gave me a dashing smile and tapped the sit beside her. That really happened and I sat beside her. We watched the series for hours and when it was finally over. She looked at me and smiled brightly, "I am Grace. What about you?”. It took me a minute to register her words. “Let’s have a fresh start.” she said as a matter of fact.

I nodded and displaced my best smile, at least I can appreciate this person for trying.


“Lucy…….”


That’s how my it went. In few days, we became close friends- at least we tried. She is twenty-four, a struggling writer, and an extrovert. I became acquainted with that details in just few minutes speaking to her. Few days later, the housemate routine started and this time without any quarrels.


....................................................................................................


She would enter my bathroom when I am showering commenting on all the latest celebrities instagram post.

"The American band is here........Ahhhhhh....." dashing through my bathroom door, "I can't wait to meet them!!!" she exclaimed doing a floss. I sighed, "I should alway lock my bathroom door when I am living with her" I thought to myself.


"You are coming with me...." she asked, more like commanded and I know what's gonna come next.


"Pretty please......" with a baby pout and that was enough to manipulate me. "Fine!!! Go Out!!! I am showering!!....." I yelled. She finally realized the commotion she had caused and backed away with an "Oopss....".


Sometimes, we go out- more link force to go with her or else she will hide my glasses. She also asked me to accompany her to shopping saying that I have a small wardrobe collection. I hesitated, eventually I went with her knowing full well I have over hundred dresses.


With a new wardrobe, there comes a new make up. She tried all the latest make up tricks on me and I don’t hate it. It’s good though, I can rely on someone other than my granny. I also didn’t touch that historical book…. I started moving forward leaving the past behind. The bullying didn’t stop until Grace stepped in leaving me with a suspension. It boost my fury but the bullying eventually stopped. Satisfied, that my inferiority complex got reduced through my new attire and enthusiasm.


I got introduced to lot of Grace’s friend who were twice as energetic as her. They were really fun to be around with but they had to cope with my awkward small talks. I aced the music competition that her friends suggested and it was nerve-wrecking singing in front of Grace's crew when the only person who heard me singing was my granny and now there is Grace. Her gigantic ears found my arcane talent. We started reading all the mystery books from my granny's collection with a hot chocolate in hand- as in plural.


She helped me to find an opportunity to sing with a local band. They might not be famous but they’re fun and energetic to work with. I pay her back by cooking, doing house chores preventing further burning of my- our house. Now, I have taken a step to become a singer, also the person who my granny wishes me to be. 

July 28, 2021 19:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Ayesha 🌙
21:02 Aug 02, 2021

I love the journey this character is going through! The descriptions are so lovely. The one thing I would suggest is to clarify your wording, maybe read it aloud to see how it flows. Lovely story!

Reply

Insiya Ahamed
06:45 Aug 03, 2021

Thank you for reading. I will keep that in mind......

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.