1 comment

African American Fiction Contemporary

It’s 11:30 on a cool night in mid-October. I just got off work and am not quite ready to go home. I decide to go for a walk to clear my head. The store I work at was very busy tonight, and the adrenaline is still coursing through my veins.

As I turn down Market Street, I am uneasy because I feel someone is following me. I glance behind me and swear I see a shadow standing behind me. As I peer closer, it ducks between two buildings. The palms of my hands start to sweat as I walk faster. My heart is racing. My breathing is short, fast, and shallow. I need to calm my system down. I never had one before, my I think I’m having a panic attack. 

I pull my phone out of my back pocket to call my mom. She lives forty-five minutes away, so she can’t save me, but she can keep me company. She’ll also say something to keep me calm and alert. I need to be both of those things right now. 

I wish I were at home, but I don’t want to turn around just in case I am being followed. I’ve never experienced anything like this. I’ve always felt safe walking these streets at night.

I know; I’ll walk to Walgreens. It’s only four blocks away and well lit.

As the phone rings, I say a silent prayer that mom is awake and will answer. If she doesn’t, I’ll leave a long message to give the appearance that I am talking to someone.

“Lauren, it’s late. Are you okay?”

I wish I had thought about what to say before I called. I love that simply hearing my mom’s voice relaxes my body. I don’t want to alarm her or frighten myself more. “Yes, I’m taking a walk, and I could use the company.” I hope she can read between the lines.

“is something bothering you?”

“Yes,” I say calmly.

“What?”

I don’t say anything.

She doesn’t say anything for a minute or two, either. “Do I need to ask yes or no questions?”

“Yes.”

“Are you alone?”

I pause. I glance left and right, but I don’t look behind me. “I think so. I’m not sure.”

“Are you on a well-lit street?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Did you try walking faster?”

“Yes, not sure if it made a difference.” I say looking left and right again.

“Okay, try slowing down, and see if someone walks past you.”

“Okay.”

I take a deep breath. I stop and bend down, pretending to tie my shoe. With my head down, I wait to see if I hear or see someone coming up behind me. Nothing happens. I pretend to tie my other shoe—still nothing. I stand back up. 

 I walk a little farther. This is exactly why people tell me to stop taking these walks, I scold myself. Oh well, it’s too late now. All I can do is keep walking at this point. I breathe a sigh of relief when I see Walgreens up ahead. I have to force myself to walk, not run the last block. 

“Tell me something,” I say to my mom.

She immediately begins telling me about her day. She works as a volunteer coordinator and always has something going on. There was an issue with her Meals on Wheels program. One of her drivers got a flat tire and she had to fill in.

I walk into Walgreens and nod at the cashier. I recognize her from the last time I was in here. We’re not a first name’s basis, but she’s okay. I walk up and down all the aisles. I wasn’t planning to buy anything, but now I think I should. I understand that I might seem suspicious if I don’t buy something. I walk back over to the beverages and pick out a bottle of water. 

“Hold on, Mom. I’m about to pay. Hey, how’s it going?”

She smiles. “Good, I’m almost out of here. Just waiting for my ride, and for my co-worker to clock in. You?”

“I’m okay. Just got off work too. Did you see anyone come in after me or hanging around outside?” I ask casually.

“Yeah, come to think of it. Some guy was pacing by the window. When he saw me looking at him, he left.”

“What did he look like?”

I don’t know. Kinda tall. He had a hood on. I couldn’t see his face.”

“Okay, but you said he left?” 

Linda nodded.

“Thanks.” I take my water and walk back outside. “Okay, Mom, I’m back.” As I turn toward home, I see someone duck between the buildings again. I know that Walgreens has security cameras outside. I feel more courageous with the cashier nearby too. As I walk by the opening, I saw, two arms reach out and grab me.

“Brian!” He releases me, and I clasp my chest. “Damn, you scared me half to death. Mom, it’s okay. It’s just Brian, my co-worker. I’ll call you tomorrow.” 

She chuckles, “Okay, love you. Call me tomorrow.”

I hang up the phone and put it back in my back pocket. “Brian, what is wrong with you?”

“Sorry, I saw you walk off, and I didn’t know where you were going, but I didn’t think it was safe for you to walk alone.”

“So, you followed me?”

“Yeah, sorry. Let me at least walk you home.”

“Okay, next time, say something. Otherwise, you’re being creepy, not helpful.”

He laughs and sees me to the entrance of my building. I walk in and get on the elevator.

As I turn the key to my door, my nerves are working overtime. I thought a walk would relax me, but it just agitated me. But there’s no way I’m going for another walk tonight, maybe not tomorrow night either. I’ll find something on TV to watch until I can’t keep my eyes open. Hopefully, I can find something other than a thriller or horror movie to watch.

October 26, 2022 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Lizzie Hudson
23:58 Nov 02, 2022

This was a well-executed, fast-paced (breathless) story, and it kept me going until the end. Well done. I really liked the immediacy of the narrator's experience, told in real time. I would question her judgment about returning to the street (even with security cameras) after hearing the description of the guy following her. And Brian is pretty creepy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.