42 comments

Contemporary Fiction Speculative

Fade in from black.  

Final episode.

Last season.

Location: Remote island, somewhere.

Crowd cheering.  Opening title.

Welcome to…

The Ultimate Survivor.

Somewhere in Hollywood. 

The host stands before a crowd with a background of Job.

The final contender.

"And now, our final survivor. Let's see how long he can tolerate this hell, ladies and gentlemen. Certainly not long. Nobody has survived!”

An applause sign lights and a consecutive cadence of cheers and screams roar in the background.

"And this man needs no introduction. I give you, Job!”

Scene 1.

The gravestones are marked with the names of prior contestants. The clay soil and sand absorb the day's heat in the blue light. Job can feel it through the floors of his shoes. Past smoking oblique shacks and yelping dogs, the city decays under the slow catechism of neglect, wires hanging poll to pull. A world beyond all fantasy. Blown lightbulbs like polyps, shattered and semi-translucent. The night is quiet, like a company of soldiers before battle. In the fallen light, there is faint summer lightning. A curtain rises on the Western world, a gust of black soot, dead beetles, and anonymous small bones.  

The last man stands in the universe as it fades about him. He regrets all things connected to a single sorrow. Once connected to a dollar bill, he does not know what he now lives for. Perhaps, the sad and exhaustive pieces of what was once a soul. If such a day exists, he won't discover a single god-made artifact to lead him on this final day. He lights a candle, leaning in the darkness. In the black beyond, he beholds all of the world, leading itself to its own destruction. 

At dawn, a widowed spider lingers on his comforter; it tips on its belly, exposing a crimson hourglass. He smashes it with a flat palm when it scuttles towards him. He finds an abandoned log house secluded and surrounded by a decaying orchard. Branches bare and sharp like a collection of colorless blades scratching at the fluctuating wind. As the sun sets, he'd walk amidst the field of naked trees where crows would gather and occasionally call out words that could only mean something prophetic. 

He knew not what. They'd come in slow, scattered flight from the penumbra above, clouds shrinking and swelling to expose the crest of a bone-tinted moon. When the sky was clear, he'd listen to them calling one another as the oblique lighting of the stars illuminated a passing horizon. The crows would eventually take flight in tandem.  

Rarely did he move beyond the plight of land after a year in the cabin. He had discovered nothing but rotting debris. There are old tires and bricks and broken canning jars. He sniffs the rank air, and he throws a rock he is carrying at a macabre menagerie of hanging bodies. He came up through a rugged trail that had branched off a main road. There is broken and useless debris rotting under the late summer sun. Old, tired, bricks, and shattered glass jars, accompanied by a rusty chicken feeder. 

Cut.

Hollywood.

"Well?! How's that for perseverance? Are we thinking he's the ultimate survivor, or what? Can we please give it up for Mr. Job, Ladies and Gentlemen? Grab your tablets in front of you, and let's make preliminary votes! Maybe, crazy, or oh yeah…Baby! What do we think? Can Job possibly survive this onslaught of terror? Or will he break? Stay tuned, folks, after these words from our sponsors.”

Actor: (Tears well in the man’s eyes) “Not that I don’t love you…I mourn every time I can’t get it up in the morn…”

Actress: “I’ll always love you.” (Grabbing his ass and pulling him in.)

The camera cuts to a blue pill with a background of a man falling on top of a woman.

P.O.V. shot of man, sweating profusely.

Actor: “And then I saw my doctor…”

Actress: (Disshelvald hair, running makeup, POV) “He saw the doctor…Yes! Yes!”

Overvoice: “Viagralis, making men across America from zero…to… (woman moans), Hero!”

Refrain.

Fade in from black.

Scene 2.

When spring came, he only wandered briefly from the cabin. The shadows cast from the trees still held a gray chill, and the sun reached upon the baleful world below where beasts and remaining men would roam in violent sprees. In the sparsely growing miscanthus and Iris barrens of hardened clay, other flowers wound erupt haphazardly through sand and cinder. As the days grew warm, baptisia and balloon flowers would dab the earth's surface with splotches of lavender, red, green, and white. Bodies that the cold once preserved would become soft with rot. 

A cistern contued to provide water. There was no power or gasoline to start it. Its cord, knotted and tangled, would not even pull. A rusty iron stove would burn wood where he cooked beans and rice and some remaining cans of spam he found in the dead leaves around the perimeter. Wrapped in an old wool blanket, he'd read the poetry of T.S. Eliot and John Milton. Job studies mathematics and French and write letters to the people he’d once loved. When he lifted his pen, he'd observe hordes of birds collapsing to branches and weighing the shaking trees.

The cabin contained three bedrooms and three windows. His preference was the back room, where beyond its window was a wall of weeds that had grown as high as the eves. The sloped foundation had clustered bouquets of weeds and thorn bushes, and the only thing a traveler might see were the collapsed holes of the mossy grey roof and broken chimney jutting upwards stained in soot and ash. He had stomped a clear path to the back door where nests of black widow scurried about thick cotton webs. He had once tried to clear them with a corrugated and stiff cardboard rhombus but found their poky legs gripped beneath the logs, waiting to rebuild their dense, silky homes.

He'd trace the perimeter of the orchard, and reaching the far side, he'd observe the falling red sun flare low and wide across the west. The desolate horizon refracted pools that looked like puddles of blood. The mud beneath his feet made it feel like he was standing on the back of some unknown creature, breathing and shifting a bony and arched spine with every step. Soon, the sun drained, and in an instant, the darkness fell.

On his way back, he'd stop by a nearly collapsed outhouse with a cracked wooden seat that resembled an oversized splintered horseshoe. Ivy and moss had grown over, and it sat tilting to one side, almost entirely collapsing in a wet hole where thistle and grass had grown from the sides like a mutated brown font. He passed behind, where he would trudge through clotted dirt and nightshade, where he would squat and shit. He wiped with a smooth leaf, then pulled his pants up as he studied a cat's balding rear held high and taught chewing and lapping at a corpse and its meatless skull, slurping at an upturned eye socked filled with dirty rainwater. The feline chews on a lipless grin, slurping past corroding teeth to chew on a diseased tongue.

Cut. 

Fade to black.

A word from our sponsors.

Actress 1: "Do you ever feel… not so fresh?"

Actress 2" "Sure, but that is why there is Summer Breeze douche with all-natural ingredients."

Actress 1: "Natural ingredients?"

Actress 2: "Yes, all-natural! And with scents like Lavender Ocean and summer breeze, you can rest assured that you will feel naturally fresh."

Overvoice: "Femni-fresh. Guaranteed to make you feel fresh and clean!

Actress 1 and 2: (In unison) “We love you Job!”

Fade in from black.

Scene 3:

When the sun rose, he'd careen down the hill and find the worn and cracked blacktop that was once a road, scouring for dead animals, finding muskrats or raccoons, occasionally nutria or rabbits. The reaches of the sun burning from the west would fall, and he'd walk the hill back to the cabin. He'd skin the bounty and set the hides to curate. He pulled the remaining maggots from the exposed muscle and tendons, then cooked them over the rot-iron stove until the meat had become juicy and warm.

On occasion, he'd remain longer, sheathed in his blanket, staring aimlessly at the moon, tilted and arced in slow motion around a population dead and gone, mercilessly rotting without the divine hand of a mortician's trade preparing them for their final farewell. Other birds would fly and gather on an old power line. They quietly sat in harmony until departing in a flawless formation further west.

It snowed during the night. The cold violet light softly projected the irregular flakes. Piles and small mounds nestled to branches and twigs like pale frosting. The silence was heavy and thin, and occasionally, he stopped to listen. The cold scales dodged out of the blackness to settle on his lashes. It covers the sludge, dirt, and craggy chunks of loose aggregate and lays a white lattice on otherwise deep cracks in the hardened clay. 

The flakes impinge with a delicate and momentary whisper. Toiling to reach the cabin uphill, he experiences a surreal and ethereal transformation from what had once been familiar. The rind of a moon lay cocked in the sky, and the world looked cold and blue. He can see the stocks of weeds dead in the yard. Beyond them, the barren and pestilential locust wood.

Pastel dome lights appear to adorn the black void of space, emitting a yellow glow. The rhomboid light became brighter than the sun, magnifying previously unseen things. From his cabin, he sees a consecutive series of light wires running from pole to pole like sagging black rubber bands. He walked the path to the back door as sprinkles fell from the sky. A dozen or more crows spook and flail above him with a faint rasping sound as their wings clap. The shards of ice began to melt and fall as if porcelain was being shattered in the raging hands of a madman. 

The intensity of harmonized light waves dimmed and deflated, and as if the hand of god commanded the colorless winter evening to suddenly stop, the world once again transformed and returned to a realm desolate and bare, like a subtle and hopeless snapshot of an old photograph that captured the ugliest acts of mankind.

Scene 4: 

At nightfall, tremors of terror make him scream and shriek. He covers his ears, and after a while, his screaming stops, and he laughs until he cries. His body shakes with tremors, and he stiffens and bites his lips. The seizure passes. He dozes off and, for a minute or two, thinks that something is approaching. The night and lightning boomed through the windows, snapping rays that seemed to crack the glass. He sat up quickly in a cold sweat, expecting the windows to magnify the light again. He grabbed a lamp and the hunting knife he skinned the animals with. He replaced the wick, lit it, and replaced the chimney. He holds the lamp up and sees the man sitting in the corner.

Lights flash around the small cabin. 

Applause.

The audience roars.

The man in the corner holds a mike and stands up, only to be bombarded by a series of sharp stabs that open his arteries and intestines.

Scene 5:

The host spits and chokes on blood.

His pupils dilate.

He can only whisper as the camera zooms in on his face while Job repeatedly stabs him.

He mutters before the blade crosses his throat, "Winner, folks."

His crisp white shirt and tie splattered in blood.

“The…Ultimate survivor…”

Cut. 

A white noise hushed by a vibrato of flickering static.

April 13, 2024 01:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

42 comments

Mary Bendickson
03:58 Apr 13, 2024

I have never, ever watched even a small portion of an episode of "Survivor" I am proud to say. I have read some of Job but not recently so will do. I am posting this but may revisit cause hubby is calling. Still need to tell you what a terrible world you built but you know that.😜

Reply

Dustin Gillham
10:02 Apr 13, 2024

Ha! Thanks for investing time in reading this, Mary.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
10:00 Apr 26, 2024

My apologies for not getting to this story sooner. It’s a grim, dark tale that you weave. Quite bleak and full of descriptions that were very visceral. Such repulsive imagery juxtaposed with ads that were designed to jolt us from the horror you weave. Clever and effective. My only critique is that the tenses switched up mid paragraph, which might be a stylistic choice to further jar the reader from their comfort zone.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:14 Apr 26, 2024

It was. I usually like the feel of present but played a little bit more freely. I should have kept it the same throughout. For some reason, it felt as if it flowed better in this particular short, but I agree. Thank you for reminding me of structure and the importance of consistency.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Damian Kain
02:46 Apr 23, 2024

Dustin, I very much enjoyed this. Someone else said survivor and hunger games and that was spot on. Good stuff.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:36 Apr 23, 2024

Thank you Damian!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nina H
13:42 Apr 22, 2024

Loved the approach to the prompt in the form of a game show. Your dark descriptions cast a shadow over this whole piece, made darker with the contrasting light commercial breaks. They yank us away for a second then drop the reader right back into the mire. Everyone enjoys different writing styles, and I prefer the descriptions here. I don’t get lost in them, more like coated in layers and layers of bleakness. I like the nods to Eliot (the wasteland I presume?) and Milton (paradise lost?) to let us know he’s even fully bathed in a depressive ...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:35 Apr 23, 2024

You nailed it! Both Milton and Eliot! Genius

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
14:48 Apr 21, 2024

I have seen survivor and the best part of your story, for me, was when, "the host spits and chokes on blood." Once you find out all these reality shows are NOT reality but scripted, it kind of takes the magic away. Great read though and look forward to reading your other stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cedar Barkwood
14:31 Apr 20, 2024

Very smart approach. You took the prompt and ran with it, good job!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
05:34 Apr 23, 2024

Cedar, Most prompts I do my best, but I appreciate your approach far more than mine.

Reply

Cedar Barkwood
12:11 Apr 23, 2024

Oh! I think you misunderstood, it was meant as a compliment. I mean to say it was creative while still staying on task, my apologies for any offense!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Story Time
22:30 Apr 18, 2024

I really love the way you build dread in this piece. I think it's a hard tone to convey without tipping over into morbid gore. The language is never hindered by the genre, and overall I walked away feeling really shaken. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:03 Apr 17, 2024

Is this a mix of hunger games and survivor? ... Liked the descriptions, the way you take us before the last one standing, considering it is something created for the entertainments of others, and still, something so serious... well done :)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
07:58 Apr 17, 2024

Laura! Great way to put it...either way, its really bleak LOL. And you got it. It's all fun and games....until it's about survival. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.L. Lallak
22:49 Apr 16, 2024

K, I don't know why I didn't believe he really would be the last man standing. Of course, he was. I get a kick out of your descriptive writing. I wanted more. I love your voice. And the constructive criticism you receive is amazing, but the rebuttals are what keep me laughing. I guess you're a funny, intriguing writer to me. All compliments and praise from this end! I WANT people to tear my writing apart!! I need direction. Maybe one day. Cheers!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
04:58 Apr 17, 2024

Yo! Thanks for getting my writing style. Not everyone does....but I guess it's just like that in any art. You're doing great just so you know, keep it up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
18:33 Apr 15, 2024

Never seen Survivor (proud to say) and based on this I never will. :-) Having said that: Great use of descriptive narrative. Giving us a lousy picture of the demise of the world. Love the image of the cat and the corpse. Would have liked to have understood Job better. Absolutely spot on ending. Maggots are edible. High protein. It's cure, vs. curate and there are the occasional switches to present tense. Other than that: A+ Dusting work. :-)

Reply

Dustin Gillham
09:45 Apr 16, 2024

You don't need to see it Trudy. LOL I'm stoked you got the story. I was really trying to direct readers towards the end because that's the most important part. Maybe you can read the actual book so you can understand the story more. Yeah so Stella says that they're edible...I don't want to think about that. LOL. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shahzad Ahmad
17:54 Apr 13, 2024

Great work, Dustin! The build up to the climax is smothered in some expressive description and the end surprises us all. Great observational powers together with some crisp imagery and vocabulary also has a huge expanse. Well done!

Reply

Dustin Gillham
08:03 Apr 14, 2024

Thanks, Shahzad. I really wanted to hone in on the end. Bravo for catching that.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
15:02 Apr 13, 2024

A really well-written and vivid story, poetic at times. For me, Scenes 1 through 3, are a bit heavy on description, slowing the story a bit. I would have liked some hint of survivor's disposition toward the audience to have been introduced early on, creating a tension, bringing a tighter resolution to the twist (of the knife) at the end. FWIW. Great stuff. Best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Luca King Greek
14:57 Apr 13, 2024

Beautifully written. I loved the commercial interludes and the twist (of the knife) at the end. In short, I think it is a really good piece, but... the story slowed a lot during the richly-described first, second and third scenes. I don't mean this as criticism, but as observation, as a reader. I think you can probably be quite brutal with the editing, without losing the vivid world-creation. I would have liked some clue to his disposition toward his audience near the start... something that might have hinted at his future action, and w...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
15:14 Apr 13, 2024

Thanks man. I guess I just wanted to really hone in on the desperation and the desolation of the scene so I knew the descriptions and the world-building were so important. I said this in another comment but I really wanted the reader to focus on the end. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Reply

Luca King Greek
15:18 Apr 13, 2024

I may have submitted the comment twice! I thought I lost the first version! In any case, it was time well-spent, reading (and commenting on) your piece! Best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
03:48 Apr 13, 2024

Well, there's a reason I've always found you one of the most brilliant writers on this site. SO FRESH AND BRILLIANT !!! The cuts between the desolate, cutthroat environment and the hedonism of the reality show bits were genius. Once again, you display your impeccable gift for imagery and description. "The rind of a moon lay cocked in the sky, and the world looked cold and blue" " As the days grew warm, baptisia and balloon flowers would dab the earth's surface with splotches of lavender, red, green, and white. Bodies that the cold once pr...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
09:34 Apr 14, 2024

Stella! You get it! Awesome! I'm happy you enjoyed this. I was afraid people wouldn't get the style but you did. LOL I liked writing those lines. Thanks for investing time to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurie Spellman
02:53 Apr 13, 2024

The screenplay format was creative. I liked your use of imagery. I want a bit more depth of character on Job. Why him? What makes him tick? That is an interesting take on the prompt.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
03:15 Apr 13, 2024

I wanted that too. Unfortunately, I only had 2k words and my entire goal was to immerse the reader in ... the end. The suffering. the world. the duality between the two. How do I say this? What else does the reader need to know about this guy other than he's a badass that has gone through hell while the rest of the contestants failed, rotted and died. Please read Job. Everything I write is a reflection of the Book. LOL. Praise the Lord! And all 'dem people hollar " aaaaaamen!" Thank you for reading Laurie. Cute bob, lightly tapered...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:44 Apr 13, 2024

The bleakest of the bleak scenarios. Job is so caught up in it that he kills the show's host? Just as he wins? Creepy! Interesting interpretation of the prompt. Job took the instruction 'cut' too literally. "He pulled the remaining maggots from the exposed muscle and tendons, then cooked them over the rot-iron stove until the meat had become juicy and warm." He's not really cooking and eating maggots is he? As far as curing the hides of the 'bounty' he caught. Did you mean to use the word 'curate'? Curing hides is more than hanging them up...

Reply

Dustin Gillham
03:30 Apr 13, 2024

Bravo Kaitlyn! I dont have AI but I need to buy a good one. Friends are recommending. Nobody would eat maggots. I will have to look that up though. perhaps they are edible. All I wanted the reader to know, watch survivor, rediculous, and read the book of Job, harrowing. Curing is simply meant "preparing' the meat for consumption. I hunt so #facts. Shoot a cute deer with a .22, skin it and prepare it, it is called curing. Stop focusing on the meat! This guy kills and has to eat. Clearly I write descriptavely, either alluding to characte...

Reply

Alexis Araneta
04:49 Apr 13, 2024

To answer your maggot question, Australians in the bush (as in deep outback Oz) do. Hahahaha ! Just chiming in.

Reply

11:51 Apr 13, 2024

Too true about the grubs the Australian aboriginals eat. I know what curing an animal hide is all about. Obviously, you also do. You had used the word 'curating'. Sorry if in pointing this out I confused you. I'm sure you knew what you meant. All the best.

Reply

13:30 Apr 26, 2024

Hi there Dustin. Just a quick word. Thank you for all your support!!! LOL. You seem to have clicked on a heap of my stories all at the same moment? You will have earned a number of Karma points and proven how clever you are reading all those stories simultaneously. So, I won't get carried away and think I have a 'fan'. I will read some more of your stories but this has been a crazy week and I'll do more next week, hopefully - reciprocating. Even the latest story isn't much this time.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Martha Kowalski
06:33 Apr 24, 2024

Appropriately-named MC

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:30 Apr 16, 2024

Great use of language in the survival scenes. It makes a stark contrast tovthe banality of the tv program. The future reminds me a lot of Idiocracy.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jim LaFleur
18:12 Apr 16, 2024

What an intense and thought-provoking finale! Great job, Dustin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Hazel Ide
12:36 Apr 15, 2024

It is pretty fantastic. The satire is so rich and horrifying and your descriptions make the reader feel completely immersed in scene. Well done.

Reply

Dustin Gillham
12:57 Apr 15, 2024

You got it Hazel! For that, I'm happy. Thank you for investing your time in reading my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.