"Persuasion"

Submitted into Contest #248 in response to: Write a story titled 'Persuasion'.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Inspirational Creative Nonfiction

“Persuasion”

___________________

          By Samuel Pastrana


In the late 1970s, traffic laws in Puerto Rico were very strict and outdated. When a driver committed a traffic violation, the officer issuing the citation retained the driver’s license and, to recover it, the offending driver had to wait two weeks, often longer, to pay the penalty at a public collection office and then present proof of payment at the police station of the municipality where the infraction took place. Meanwhile, the ticket would serve as the driver's permission to drive for a period of thirty days.


Young police officer Luis Rivera was known for his unwavering commitment to traffic law enforcement when he patrolled the roads in and around San Juan, the capital of his charming Caribbean Island. His reputation for being uncompromising in the face of the most compelling arguments of offending drivers was legendary. Whenever he pulled over a driver for a traffic violation, his expression was invariably stern and his posture inflexible.


Manuel Lopez was a senior vice president of the real estate financing department of the First Caribbean Bank of Puerto Rico. He was in charge of an enormous real estate development loan portfolio for many residential housing projects throughout the Island and in the neighboring US and British Virgin Islands. One evening, when Officer Rivera pulled Manuel over for speeding as he headed in sports clothes toward the Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport, he had no idea that this routine traffic ticket would lead to an unexpected clash of wills and attitudes.

Manuel's heart raced as he handed over his license and registration to the police officer. Early the next morning, he was scheduled to negotiate the final details and close a major transaction in the British Virgin Islands. Having lost his passport a few days prior, the only document accepted as identification to enter the islands was his driver’s license. Manuel tried to reason with the officer with a tone of voice that evidenced his concern:

“Officer, I know I was speeding, but I have a valid reason. It's something very urgent."


Officer Rivera glanced at the license and then back at Manuel:

“Urgent, huh? Everyone thinks their reasons are urgent. What could be so urgent in your eyes that makes reckless driving and violating traffic laws justifiable?”


Manuel hesitated for an instant and then decided to be honest:

“Sir, I am a banker and I have to be in Road Town, British Virgin Islands, very early tomorrow morning to close a very important deal. If I cause that meeting not to take place on time, the transaction could be jeopardized by delaying an event that’s very important for the BVI and for our bank. That's why I have to fly tonight and I have precious little time to board my plane. Please let me go, give me a chance just this once."


The officer's expression remained stoic:

“Bank officer, huh? Well, my friend, I've heard my fair share of excuses. But in my job… I don’t give second chances. The law is the law and I apply it equally to everyone, no matter who they are; simple students, mere workers, high-ranking politicians, or professionals, such as doctors, lawyers and… even bankers, like you” - the police officer looked askance at Manuel when addressing him.


Manuel's desperation grew. He looked at his wristwatch and then to the engraved nameplate the officer wore on the right side of his chest:

"Officer Rivera, please, I promise I'll be more careful in the future. But could you let me go this time? I can't waste any more time because I will miss my plane and, if you withhold my driver's license, I will not be able to clear immigration in the BVI upon arrival. My job and my future at the bank could be at stake if I don't close this transaction. I beg you, give me a chance."


Manuel's heart stopped when, despite his plea, officer Rivera handed him the traffic violation and withheld his driver's license with a grave expression on his face. Manuel knew that he had no room to negotiate; his power of persuasion had failed in the face of the officer's obstinacy.


The banker took the citation while mentally reviewing the consequences. Although he had already missed the forty five-minute flight, he could still take the first one in the morning that left at 8:00 am, but without his passport or driver's license, he would not be able to clear immigration. He knew very well that the relevant negotiations, scheduled for 10:30 AM with the Prime Minister of the British Virgin Islands, were essential for both parties; for the bank, of which he was its key representative, and for the Government, since it would guarantee hundreds of new jobs for the islanders and boost the local economy. That's why he didn't give up. After a brief reflection, he called his legal representative in Road Town and explained his complicated situation. He would accompany Manuel to the meeting.


The next morning, Manuel arrived in BVI on the first flight from San Juan. He had no problems going through immigration thanks to a special pass authorized by the Prime Minister himself. The signing of the agreement was conducted successfully and Manuel was satisfied despite the frustration and anxiety Officer Rivera’s stubbornness had caused him and the fact the transaction had come perilously close to being irretrievably derailed by such obtuseness.


Several weeks later, while working in his office, Manuel's secretary called over the intercom to announce that there was a young couple that wanted to see him. Leaning back in his chair, the banker told his secretary to let them in.


When the couple entered, Manuel noticed that she was pregnant and that her husband was carrying a baby boy who was sleeping soundly with his head resting on his father's right shoulder. He immediately asked them to sit on the sofa that was at the back of the office against the wall, in front of his desk. Having them directly in front of him, Manuel was surprised see that the young husband and father, dressed in civilian attire, was Officer Rivera, the same inflexible Officer Rivera that almost prevented the closing of a transaction of such import that Manuel’s future, as well as the bank’s and the BVI’s, stood on the edge of the precipice. Officer Rivera, however, did not recognize the banker, and Manuel pretended not to recognize him.


"How can I help you today?" —Manuel asked.


Officer Rivera responded:

"We are from the Municipality of Corozal and were informed by the mayor's office that the residential project being built in the Cibuco Ward belongs to this bank".


Without taking his eyes off the police officer, the banker nodded.

"Yes, that's correct. We had to acquire that project through a foreclosure process in order to expedite completion of the last ten units and deliver them to the buyers as soon as possible."


Interjecting before her husband could respond, Mrs. Rivera said: “And… are there any units still available?”


Manuel responded, looking at her for the first time.

"Like I said, there are ten units left and there’s a waiting list of over thirty families, like yours, waiting for them."


"What are the criteria for choosing buyers from that waiting list?", the police officer asked.


"First, we have to determine which families qualify for a mortgage loan and, from that group, we will select the first ten buyers based on the chronological order in which they signed up”, replied the banker.


"Could you make an exception for us?", Mrs. Rivera blurted out, then pleaded: "We still don't have our own house and we live with my parents in a one-bedroom country house."


Officer Rivera helped to describe their situation:

“As you see, we will soon have another baby and it will be impossible for us to continue living with my in-laws. We're here to see if you can help us."


Leaning back in his executive chair, Manuel responded, staring at him: "As I already explained, there are other families that came before you and only ten are units available to solve a problem that requires thirty-one."


With tears in her eyes, Mrs. Rivera insisted: “Mr. López, please, please, help us, we are desperate. If we lose this opportunity, it will be very difficult to find another house like yours, which is perfect for us."


Hugging his wife with his free hand and still holding onto his little boy with the other, the police officer pleaded:

“Please, Mr. López, give us an opportunity, I'm not asking for myself, I ask for my children and my wife, for my family. Our situation merits that you give us a chance.”

Manuel remained silent for a few moments, still leaning back in his chair, observing the couple closely, especially Officer Rivera. Noticing the banker's momentary silence, thinking that his plea had persuaded him, the police officer insisted:

“Can we count on your help, sir? Please say yes, give us a chance or, at least, tell us what we can do to persuade you”.


Manuel continued to observe them for a moment. Mrs. Rivera was trying to dry the tears that were running down her cheeks, almost leaning on her husband, who was still hugging her, while their little baby continued immersed in a deep sleep with the head resting on his father's shoulder. The conversation had reached a point where the banker could not resist confronting the police officer with their recent encounter and the ensuing events; to remind him of who he really was. Without taking his eyes off them, Manuel straightened his chair, opened the top right drawer of his desk and took out an envelope. Slowly, he looked at it for a moment, stood up, handed it to the police officer, and sat back down in his desk.


“Do you remember this document, Mr. Rivera?”


Very surprised and without looking at the content of the envelope, the police officer answered:

“I… I don't know what this envelope has to do with our request, sir.”


"Go ahead, open it and see what's inside. You'll know what I mean right away."


The police officer opened the envelope and took out its content; the traffic violation ticket he had issued to the banker weeks earlier, ignoring his pleas to give him a chance.


"Do you recognize that document, Mr. Rivera?” Manuel asked.


After examining the traffic ticket with his signature, very surprised and nervous, the police officer responded: "Eh…yes, yes… I recognize it."


"Do you remember my request when you issued it."


Without understanding what was happening, Mrs. Rivera intervened.

"What's wrong, Luis... what is that?"


Manuel ignored her intervention and insisted:

"Tell me Agent Rivera, do you remember my request when you issued that ticket?"


Looking down, Officer Rivera responded very quietly:

"Yes, yes... I remember, sir... you tried to persuade me to give you a chance, not to fine you, because you were in a hurry to board a plane that night to travel to BVI and you needed your driver's license to clear immigration there.”


“And... what was your response?” Manuel asked again.


Keeping his gaze on the floor, almost inaudible, Agent Rivera responded:

“That… I don’t give second chances, regardless of who the offender is.”


Upon hearing her husband’s response, Mrs. Rivera began to cry again. Between sobs, she reproached her husband:

"I warned you many times, Luis, that your inflexibility was going to cause you problems. You have to understand that all cases are not the same, and that, when possible, each case must be evaluated on its merits. Look at what you have caused us. I don't know what we are going to do now. That house was ideal for us.”


Manuel approached Mrs. Rivera and gave her a napkin to wipe her tears. He then sat down again and addressed them both:

“Mr. and Mrs. Rivera, I don’t want you to think that my questions this morning are derived from my desire to exact revenge on your family for your refusal to help me, Officer Rivera. You don't believe in granting opportunities, even in a meritorious case. On the contrary, I got the impression that you enjoy being inflexible in every situation, allowing yourself to be carried away by your conviction that rules are rules and they must unfailingly be observed."


Officer Rivera looked up from the floor to address the banker:

"Mr. López, I am very sorry for what happened. I would like you to allow me to cancel that citation, if possible. If not, I will pay the fine and assume the responsibility of returning your license, even if you don't help us with the house."


"I see you still haven't realized the lesson life is trying to teach you this morning, Officer Rivera. Doing what you propose means violating your own laws, destroying your conviction of what is right and what is wrong. I am not telling you that I did not deserve the fine because I did violate the law. I would just like you to realize that sometimes situations arise where we have to be flexible and compassionate with others. I don't need you to cancel the citation or pay the fine on my behalf and worry about returning my license. I can solve that situation.”


The Riveras stayed in silence. The banker continued with his argument:

“Contrary to what you believe, I am aware that sometimes there are cases that deserve to be treated outside the rules. Your case is one of them. You can be sure, Mrs. Rivera, that one of those ten houses will be yours.”


Manuel changed his glance toward Officer Rivera:

“I agree with you, Officer Rivera, that child who sleeps so peacefully in your arms and the one who will soon arrive, along with his mother, the three of them that make up your family, deserve that house. They are the ones who have persuaded me to give you the opportunity you are asking for.”

__________________

Story by S. Pastrana

Based on a personal experience

April 28, 2024


April 29, 2024 02:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.