0 comments

Fiction Sad Inspirational

Naily smiled.  

I’ll play with you grandpa she said lifting a small red heart-shaped box out of the hidden compartment. The box looked old but it was still wrapped in plastic. This was going to be a memory that Naily would never forget. 

The weeks had been gruesome and a lot of words were said between her and her other family members. 

On this final day of packing a young Naily sat in a charcoal grey recliner in her grandfather's bedroom in the small house, filled with all of his personal things. She began to feel claustrophobic with loneliness. 

Her mind went back to the commotion they had to endure a week before. While on her last weekly visit to her Grandpa Ott’s they were talking and laughing, when he crumpled to the floor in mid-sentence. 

Naily attempted to revive him as she had been instructed in many of the medical classes she had taken over the years. She did everything she was taught and even the one thing she was not educated about in any class. 

With every push and breath she gave, Naily prayed. She begged for his life but it was not enough.  

Now, it was time to pack the life of her grandfather away. To bury the rest of the memories to be forgotten as all great unknown men have been done to over the years. 

All she could think was that it didn’t seem fair.

She took in a deep breath. There would be no help coming. The ravenous vultures had come and gone the day they were putting him in the ground. 

Naily wanted nothing but her grandfather back. He was the one person that understood her. The two shared a dark sense of humor that most found a little frightful if not flat out distasteful. The two always seemed to be the black sheep at any gathering.

It was only on the day Naily’s grandfather got his monthly check from the V.A. and Social Security did the family ever make an attempt to visit. 

Even after her grandfather and grandmother separated she was the only one that continued to come around. Naily was the only one there for the man at the moment he needed her. The only one that didn't want anything, only her grandfather’s company. 

Grandfather Ott caught on to the family’s antics very quickly. He would call Naily the night before to make sure she was able to come to sit with him. The two would disappear for that day to the park down the street where they would watch the family cars come and go as the two hid behind the large metal playground eating ice cream. 

If it was too cold for ice cream in the park they would hide instead in the laundromat peering out of the window that set directly across from her grandfather’s small home. Laughing together, they tried to guess what emergency the family members would come up with to first ask for money and then what excuse they would use to leave as soon as they got it. 

Anytime Naily’s grandfather tried to give her money she would always slip it right back into his wallet, leave it on the dining room table or drop it in one of the three plastic jugs filled with change that were set by the front door. 

Her grandfather claimed he was saving up to go to Hawaii. She knew this was a lie. He was just cautious with his money. He could have left a million times over if he had truly wanted to. 

His stepchildren had picked over the rooms more as if they had been looking for something than taking memorabilia of their father’s. There was definitely nothing of monetary value left behind. Even the three large plastic water jugs were gone. 

Sitting there reminiscing and thinking of the hateful acts of the family would get nothing accomplished. She began the tedious task ahead of her. 

Naily looked over to the side table next to the bed pulling open the first draw. It was littered with random odds and ends. From several sets of small silver-plated nail clippers to random medication that had been long forgotten about. She pulled stacks of folded pieces of paper with the logos of hospitals and bill collectors setting them all gently inside a sturdy cardboard box.  

There were no more tears to cry, but storing this man's life inside a small cardboard box was still an excruciating experience. 

Naily noticed the bottom of the drawer had a small odd hole in the corner. Someone would not notice this perfectly square hole unless they were looking for it. It was too small for a finger, but just right for the size of those small silver-plated nail clippers.  

When Naily pushed the clutter around from within the already overstuffed cardboard box, she pulled out a pair of small fingernail clippers. She inserted the pointed end into the hole. The wood gave way, revealing a hidden compartment. 

The old man loved playing games and this was one of his last. Naily smiled.  

I’ll play with you grandpa she said lifting a small red heart-shaped box out of the hidden compartment. The box looked old but it was still wrapped in plastic. 

Naily’s smile faded a little when she saw the clear plastic cellophane. 

It was not a game just a box of chocolate. He probably hid it so the doctors, nurses, and family members that visited would not give him a hard time about the sugar intake. 

Naily set it on top of the table examining the drawer for any other hidden treasures. There was nothing more. Her attention went back to the box. She picked it up and unwrapped the contents.

When she removed the lid of the box Naily was met with a letter on top of a folded plain white envelope. 

To my granddaughter Naily, 

It was only natural that you would find this. It is obvious that you are the smartest person I know. I thought we could play hide and seek one last time. Once again, we’ve won. I knew the family would take everything before you arrived. It would always turn out that way. There is no way I am letting that happen to you. I will let you decide how to proceed. Please refer to this document for proof. I love you, my darling Naily, and thank you for being in my life. Over the years, I've watched you grow, learn, and help people just because you love it. Never change for anyone. The only thing I could give you is this old Valentine's box. 

                                                               Love always,

                                                               Your Grandpa James T. Ott 

P.S. I ate all the chocolates. Sorry, I couldn’t give you everything. 

After placing the letter on the tabletop, Naily grabbed the envelopes and pulled out a document entitled last will and testament, along with a check. 

Naily's grandfather had been very thrifty with his money, but it was not the size of the check that caught her eye. She began to cry as she held her hand to her mouth. The money would be greatly appreciated. 

This game belongs to you, old man, Naily thought to herself. Grandpa James T. Ott had dated the check on the same day that she had found it. 

February 19, 2022 03:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.