11 comments

Fiction

Seeing a black and white cat in the middle of the sidewalk, I feel nothing but emptiness as my heart skips a beat. I stop for a minute watching the cat run away. I chase after it thinking he'll lead me somewhere interesting. When I round the corner of the sidewalk, I stop. I see the cat slither underneath a gap in the fence. I sigh before walking back.

*

The next morning, I wake up with an annoying migraine. I place my palm on my forehead while feeling my stomach in knots. I glance to the side and see rain pattering against the window. I look at the raindrops sliding down the windows and play a good game of “raindrop race.”

“How close,” I mutter as the raindrop I was rooting for slid down last. I laugh weirdly since it's been a while or two for a genuine laugh to come my way. Sadness really does take a toll, doesn’t it? I get out of bed and walk to the window where I tap the window. The glass is cold which surprises me. Really must be cold out there. 

I take out my phone and check the weather app where I see that the weather outside is 43 degrees. I look through the window to see the trees and streets. I feel my sadness kicking which makes me annoyed. Suddenly, I hear faint meowing. 

I turn around to face the other window I have which shows the back of the house. I usually store old stuff in there that I don’t use often. Cats usually settle in there which I don’t mind. 

I check through the window and see the same cat I saw yesterday hiding underneath a piece of tarp. I feel my mouth turn to a broad smile. Aww. . .there he is.

I slide the window open and smell the musty smell of the rain. I stick my head out of the window. 

“Hey, cat!” 

The cat raises his head up and sees me with his big eyes. He purrs as he licks his paws. Afterward, he stands up on his four legs and backs away. He bends down before flying towards the window. I quickly move aside as the cat lands on my blue carpet. He shakes his fur and water droplets fly everywhere. 

 I quickly close the window and see the cat already on my bed. I walk towards the cat and sit on the bed beside him.

 “What’s your name?”

He sits still for a moment before looking around the room. He quickly jumps on my desk and grabs a piece of paper from the desk by his mouth. He as well takes a sharpie. He jumps back on my bed and moves the sharpie in my direction. 

I’m confused for a moment but I realize he wants me to open the Sharpie for him. I take the cap out and slip it through the end of the pen. I place it on the bed in front of him. He takes it by the mouth and begins moving it on the paper. Eventually, he stops and lets me see what he has written.  

Pilot

“Pilot is your name?” I ask as he nods his little head. He meows quietly before gesturing to the Sharpie with his paw. 

“What is it?” 

He taps his snout on the sheet of paper and moves it toward my direction. I’m confused. I shrug my shoulders as Pilot takes the sharpie. He begins writing on it. He puts it down and lets me see what he has written. 

Your name.” 

“Aah, I see,” I say as I grab the sharpie. I write my full name. Jake Flynn. 

Pilot ponders over it and looks at me. He nods before licking his paw. I sigh feeling awkward. 

“I’m just happy to see you, Pilot. It’s been a while since I have ever felt any sort of happiness.”

Pilot stares at me as if he’s listening to me. He places his black and white paw on my hand. I look at him and feel relieved. Tears of relief are coming in which makes me feel relaxed. After months of bottling up my emotions, I finally get to show them to someone even if they are a cat. Pilot takes the sharpie again and writes something else. 

I check what he’s writing. I hope you feel better soon. 

I smile as Pilot smiles. “I’m glad you came.” 

Somehow, without writing, I can tell Pilot feels the same. 

*

I let Pilot stay for the day because I can’t bear bidding him goodbye. I make a quick stop at the convenience store in order to get Pilot some food. When I find food for him, I purchase it and leave the store. At home, I pour the food into a small bowl I had lying around in the cupboards. I place it on the floor and Pilot comes around and sniffs it. He eats it within a few seconds which makes me smile. 

“Did you like it?” I ask. 

Pilot nods before walking to the living room. I take a chipped mug from the cupboard and fill it with lukewarm water. I as well pour some lukewarm milk into a separate mug. Pilot quickly gets up from the carpet and charges towards the milk. He laps his tongue in the milk and drinks it up pretty fast. 

“Guess you love milk, huh?” 

Pilot goes to the wall where I have taped a piece of paper. It’s used as a little message station where Pilot and I can communicate easily. He takes the Sharpie from the floor and writes a big “YES!!” 

I smile as Pilot launches his way up the counter. He sits and looks at me. I pet him in which he purrs and moves his head. I eventually hug him. 

“I’m thankful you’re here.”

*

Five months pass and I am doing very well. I have taken Pilot to the vet for a few vaccination shots in order to make sure he doesn’t contract any diseases. Officially, he is my cat which makes me so happy. The happiest thing of all is that I have consulted a therapist who has helped me to deal with my depression. Baby steps, he said the first time we met up. He’s right and so far, I get to look at the sky and smile without a care in the world. Pilot always asks me how I am feeling and at the beginning, I would say I was doing horrible. However, today I told him that I was truly happy. 

Are you sure?” 

Yes, I am. Happiest I’ve been.”

“That’s good to hear. Now, can you please give me a glass of milk?

February 28, 2023 06:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Suma Jayachandar
05:38 Mar 04, 2023

Calm Shark, If any animal can lend itself beautifully to a surreal story I think it’s a cat( right after a snake) . You have used it well to create a tale of writing cat and his bonding with the narrator. A cute and enjoyable story:)

Reply

Calm Shark
17:01 Mar 04, 2023

Thanks for reading, Suma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
22:05 Mar 01, 2023

Calm Shark, The story has good bones and an interesting premise that probably holds true for many people. I like your unique approach to "the therapist" in peoples' lives. I also enjoy how you show the cat's intelligence to the reader. Well done. I have some suggestions below to help you improve your writing. You can email me if you want to discuss more ideas for your writing. A few great writers have done that with me, and I have learnt a tremendous amount so far and continue to learn. I hope you email. finchlily532@gmail.com Seeing ...

Reply

Calm Shark
22:54 Mar 01, 2023

Thank you Lily for the critique. I'm thankful for you trying to improve my writing and that's the reason why I wanted to write stories because I wanted to improve. I'll consider emailing you if possible. What other words other than "grapples" can I use? Love to hear what you think:)

Reply

Lily Finch
00:45 Mar 02, 2023

grasp, grip, hold? LF6.

Reply

Calm Shark
00:46 Mar 02, 2023

Thanks!

Reply

Lily Finch
00:47 Mar 02, 2023

NP. LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:55 Mar 01, 2023

A nice surreal twist, with the writing cat :) When we bond with an animal, we do find ways to communicate with them, don't we? So the cooperating to allow the cat to write is a good metaphor. The change in the narrator's mood is the key thing in this story. Initially, he's stuck in his own mind, and miserable. But after the cat arrives, something changes. He's no longer focused on himself, but is instead thinking of Pilot (buying him food, if he likes milk, etc.) In a very real way, he stops dwelling on his own issues, which opens up the d...

Reply

Calm Shark
22:59 Mar 01, 2023

It's true that since Jack focused on Pilot, he wasn't focused on himself which really helped him. I thought having Pilot write with a Sharpie on paper was a cute way of conveying his thoughts even though the mere idea of it is impossible in real life. Thank you, Michal, for reading, and I can't wait to read more stories from you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:16 Feb 28, 2023

A talking cat… and a cat that is so so sweet too, like a guardian angel cat. This is a lovely gentle story and I think the takeaway here is that caring for and loving an animal can certainly help improve our mindset- even if our real life animals won’t grab a sharpie and have a conversation with us. From being empty inside, to being the happiest they’ve ever been, your narrator grows and changes as a result of this cat being in their life. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Calm Shark
15:12 Feb 28, 2023

Thank you Michelle for reading this! It would be nice yet weird having a cat write with Sharpie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.