39 comments

Science Fiction Contemporary Drama

Harry McMunn, Supreme Reverend, shook hands with Andrea List, clapped Ray Blackburn on the shoulder, and patted little Jimmy Nairn on the head. He traded a smile with all his congregation, finished his cup of punch, and started a familiar chorus of “Next time.” Then, when they began singing their favourite hymn, he excused himself and went outside the temple, before his heart completely broke.

The cool night air shattered his composure, and he clutched his vestments to keep an unexpected sob from escaping. Walking the well maintained paths of their rural compound, Salvation Ranch, normally brought him such joy, but now all he felt was lightness, as though his steps weren’t really there, as though he merely floated through the world, unmoored. The fires of certainty no longer burned in his heart.

There wasn’t supposed to be a “next time.” This time was meant to be the one. He had been so sure of it.

He could still hear the muted song of his people through the walls of the temple, through the distance, filled with such pure, trusting joy. It chilled him. He shrunk, smaller than he had ever been. He needed answers. He made his way to Prophet’s Hill.

It was about a fifteen minute hike to the flat top of the tree-less hill, and he could see the warm lights of the compound just below it. And all around him, nothing but moonswept darkness. He’d always thought it was a lovely, peaceful property, but now it too screamed failure at him.

Harry looked up at the night sky.

“Why!” he shouted. “Why have you forsaken me!?”

The stars glared down at him with their unblinking dead gaze, and the silence of the frozen void throttled even his echo. There was no reply up there. There was nothing up there.

Least of all salvation.

“I did everything you asked!”

The wind whipped his words away.

“You promised!”

Still the stars stared, without pity or understanding. And then they blinked – and winked out of existence.

Harry gasped. A circle of perfect black was forming in the cosmos, wiping out stars as it grew, the blackest ink spilling in every direction. He stumbled, fell backwards. Couldn’t get up again to flee. Couldn’t do anything but watch the heavens be consumed.

But then the disk grew smaller, and less black, and of a sudden a ring of golden lights turned on, running around its circumference – not unlike Christmas tree lights. Whatever it was, was descending, and the disk – the bowl – turned out to only be about ten metres across. It hovered above the ground with a gentle purr, and three telescoping legs extended from its rim. A hatch appeared in its seamless underside, and when it opened to extend a ramp to the ground, it spilled warm yellow light onto the hilltop.

Harry’s heart was hammering. This was happening just like it did in his dreams, in his visions – only now, the ground felt too real for dreaming, and his trembling breath too scattered for revelations from on high. Was this actually happening? Should he go get the others? But wait, if this was like his dreams, then that meant–

A figure appeared at the top of the ramp. A silhouette at first, gradually becoming more distinct as it approached – as it glided down – towards him.

It was wide on the bottom and narrow and tall at the top, draped in a snow white robe, its flesh green and translucent. From its midsection protruded twelve slender arms, without fingers or joints, and much longer than any human’s, and its whole being pulsated gently with a rich orange light, not unlike a heartbeat.

His vision, in the flesh: the angel.

“Xir’oz’zax!” Harry said, barely breathing the word.

“Hello, Harry,” said Xir. It had no discernable mouth, but its orange beat pulsed with the words, and its voice sounded pleasantly generic, like running into an acquaintance at the bus stop, with the faintest hint of an unplaceable accent.

“You heard my call! You came.”

Xir’s arms – wings? – rippled. Actually, seeing them now in the sober light of waking, they reminded Harry more of tentacles than anything else. Like the grabby bits of a jellyfish. And seeing Xir approach in the flesh, Harry couldn’t shake the impression that on closer scrutiny, the angel kind of looked like a giant plunger made of mucus, wearing a toga. Harry frowned and tried to suppress this irreverent thought.

“Yeah,” said Xir, “about that.”

“Why did you not pick us up tonight? I did everything you asked for, and the congregation was purified and ready to ascend!”

Xir made a noise that might have been a sigh. “Oh boy.”

“Is this yet another test of faith? Have we displeased the Cosmic Mother? Please, tell me what I must do!”

“Look, Harry,” said Xir, splaying its dozen appendages wide, “I’m going to level with you. This whole Divine Ascension thing – my being an angel, the Ritual of Purification, the Nineteen Sanctified Trials, the Prophetic Dreams?”

“Yes? And the Will of the Cosmic Mother?”

“Yeah,” said Xir. “I kind of made it all up.”

Harry blinked. “What?”

“Yeah,” Xir drew out. “It’s a joke, bro. I didn’t think you’d take it seriously.”

What?

“Like, I was just bored, right? I’m basically just a glorified delivery driver, and worse, I have the graveyard shift, and this planet is so boring and I probably should have gone to school like my folks said, but I took the easy money and now I’m stuck doing this dead end gig.”

Harry was speechless. To be addressed with such familiarity by an angel, to hear the angel say such outrageous things – it didn’t make sense. None of it made sense. Was this a new Sanctified Trial? A new test of faith?

“So I heard your prayer or whatever and kind of threw you a bone. Only, I thought you’d know it’s a joke, since everyone knows Cosmic Mother is like the most popular brand of pastries on Saturn. I don’t care for them myself – too much iodine – but I’ll admit that jingle slaps. Do you not get them here? Oh well.”

Was this a trial? Harry felt his eye twitch.

“Anyway, thanks for making my shifts a little more funny. I think the joke’s run its course though. And I guess I feel a little bad, but come on, you guys really are the solar system’s most remedial planet, aren’t you? Still digging in dirt for elements, like a beaver or something. No wonder the dinosaurs left.”

Harry drew a long, steadying breath. “Are you saying there’s no Mother Ship?”

“Yeah, well, kind of. I mean, it’s more of the garage where I park my saucer every night. Not so much ‘mother’ as ‘dispatch and payroll’. Only it’s less about bringing enlightenment to mammals than it is about harvesting their bone marrow while they sleep."

What!?

“I know, right? And my stupid manager is the boss’s cousin, so there’s basically no room for career growth. Makes my blood boil.”

Harry felt that.

“So, anyway. Bit of a joke is all I’m saying. Maybe I took it too far, maybe that’s on you for not getting it; who’s to say. No hard feelings though, I don’t hold it against you. Anyway, later bro.”

“Wait! So… so it’s all a lie then?”

“A joke, bro. I don’t lie, and I don’t want you going around spreading rumours.”

“Can I… at least have a hug?”

“Dude, gross. You’re a mammal.”

“Please? I’m having a crisis of faith here.”

Xir shrugged what might have been shoulders. “Fine, whatever. Come here, weirdo.”

Harry let out a laboured breath, and straightened his shirt. Then he walked towards the ramp and only hesitated for a blink before stepping onto actual alien technology. Xir spread its appendages wide, the ends flapping like sausages in the breeze.

With arms wide, Harry approached. He grabbed Xir in a great big hug, and with a sharp jerk, tossed it off the ramp.

“Oof,” said Xir, crumpling to a mucusy tangle on the hilltop.

Harry spared him one more glance, before he hurried into the flying saucer. He closed the door, and then took flight.

January 08, 2024 22:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

39 comments

Michelle Oliver
07:56 Jan 09, 2024

A crisis of faith indeed. Harry seems a little “snake oil salesman” here, enough charisma to cultivate a cult following, and enough self interest to manipulate people (and aliens) emotionally for his own selfish purposes. Love the character of Xir, who’s obviously just trying to make his life a little more interesting and picked the wrong guy to have a “joke” with.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Jan 09, 2024

Oh, that's an interesting take :) It's true though, not everyone enjoys everyone else's humour, especially if it's at their expense. Xir's probably going to have some explaining to do, but maybe this is the opportunity to finally leave the dead end job. Thanks for the feedback, Michelle!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
04:51 Jan 09, 2024

The joke's on Xir’oz’zax! Harry had a need to escape this planet, and had spent a long time planning, praying and organizing for this exact moment. Xir, well just because he's dropout with a dead end gig doesnt mean he still can't help Harry out- He has access to a sweet ride! I worry about the rest of Xir's people, because Harry is on his way, and he is On A Mission!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 09, 2024

Yeah, no doubt! There's a strict “no mammals” policy on flying saucers - they shed everywhere. The prompt made me wonder what it would be like if a UFO cult was right. And then I wondered, what if aliens were jerks, like the rest of us? Jacking someone's ride isn't great, but you probably shouldn't be toying with their deeply held convictions either. Thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
01:35 Jan 09, 2024

Oh, who's the joke on now?

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 09, 2024

I guess technically this is grand theft spaceship, but I think Xir had it coming :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
00:17 Jan 09, 2024

True to form. I was really into it, trying to figure out what was up. And then you made me laugh. Thank you. Always appreciated.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 09, 2024

Thanks, Trudy :) The prompt put me in mind of more serious topics, but then I had the thought, “what if it's only serious for one character, and not the other?” Glad it was amusing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dustin Gillham
12:44 Jan 16, 2024

good Michal

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:04 Jan 17, 2024

Thanks, Dustin! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:35 Jan 15, 2024

Lol hilarious! Starts off so reverent and sombre and I really did think I was in for a serious crisis of faith story... Then it all went very bill and ted . Or harry and xir. The ending cracked me up. Cheers Michal!

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:05 Jan 17, 2024

Glad you enjoyed it, Derrick! Mixing serious and not, between two characters, was a fun experiment. Seems like a good way to generate conflict. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
16:13 Jan 15, 2024

Hi Michal, This was an unusual story. Quite a character is our preacher. It totally made sense that he would jump onto the spaceship. I loved your descriptions of the spaceship. I kind of feel sorry for those he’s going to meet on his ‘journey’ because he seems the kind of alpha type who will manage to talk his way in or out of any hairy situation and come out laughing.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:09 Jan 17, 2024

Yeah, I wonder what he might do. Probably the other aliens aren't complicit in the deception, but maybe his anger is understandable for having been lied to. Thanks for leaving your thoughts, Helen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Flavia Gazdovici
15:28 Jan 15, 2024

Very funny and imaginative - I was definitely not expecting that twist as it started rather serious. Love it.

Reply

Michał Przywara
22:08 Jan 17, 2024

Thanks, Flavia! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Susy G
13:48 Jan 14, 2024

I thoroughly enjoyed this! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 15, 2024

Glad to hear you liked it, Susy! Thanks for the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
21:06 Jan 13, 2024

No wonder the dinosaurs left haha Excellent. Your stories always have a delightful twist.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 15, 2024

Thanks, Hazel! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
20:01 Jan 13, 2024

Very creative and original! I love to read something unique and unusual. Great imagery.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:48 Jan 14, 2024

Thanks, Kristi! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
16:14 Jan 13, 2024

I don't think it would be a Michal story without creativity and humour. Hahahaha ! Thanks for making me laugh like a hyena again. Joke's on Xir, I guess.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:31 Jan 15, 2024

Yeah, I think it is - might have underestimated humans :) Thanks for giving it a read, Stella - glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Camille Crutcher
16:13 Jan 13, 2024

I thought this was the start of an eerie dystopian, sci-fi and then I was laughing. Nice little twist. A fun read!

Reply

Michał Przywara
00:19 Jan 15, 2024

Thanks, Camille! Yeah, this week I was struck by the idea of one character experiencing a serious story while another experienced a light one. Didn't work out well for Xir :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Lane
19:36 Jan 12, 2024

Wait? Where did the dinosaurs go!? You did a great job with the twist. Xir was hilarious. Excellent job as always, Michal

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:27 Jan 14, 2024

Not sure where they went, but I like to think it's Mercury, as it's nice and warm. Glad you enjoyed the story, James :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kailani B.
20:33 Jan 11, 2024

Saturn pastries, you say? I'm imagining something pyramid-shaped that's filled with a greenish jelly, just because having an orb with a ring of chocolate sticking out of it is a little too on the nose.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Jan 12, 2024

Heh, pyramids would be great :) That's actually a great point, for immersion. We as outsiders might assume the orb-and-ring, but if we imagine a culture actually developing there over tens of thousands of years, it would be unlikely they'd model random things after how their planet looks from space. Same way as Earth hotdogs aren't a big ball of dough with a smaller ball of meat orbiting it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anna W
20:33 Jan 10, 2024

Really funny entry, Michał! I wonder what will happen to Harry once he's in flight in space! Maybe he'll find a planet with a 20 hour work week, instead of 40, and a support group for people who have been duped by aliens? The possibilities are endless! Thanks for sharing!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 11, 2024

Ha, that support group's a great idea :) Glad you enjoyed this one, Anna - thanks for leaving your thoughts!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:47 Jan 10, 2024

awesome. no further comment.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Jan 10, 2024

Thanks, Cassie! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:25 Jan 12, 2024

No problem. How do you get the line on the last letter of Michal?

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Jan 12, 2024

That's the Polish letter “L with stroke” (sounds like English W) (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81#:~:text=a%20single%20stroke.-,Polish%20%C5%81,where%20it%20still%20sounds%20velarized). You can type it if you install a Polish (or other language that supports it) keyboard, as I do, or you can just copy and paste it from a page like that Wikipedia article.

Reply

Cassie Finch
09:44 Jan 18, 2024

Thank you. So you're Polish? you Live in Poland?

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Jan 18, 2024

I am, but I live in Canada, and have for most my life.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.