0 comments

Fiction Friendship

The town square was crowded with tourists and regulars excited about Christmas in July. The humidity caused discomfort. Throughout the town, tinsel was adorning every tree, every square inch, and even a Santa gave out candy canes. The spirit of Riley was evidently in full bloom as he sipped on an iced peppermint mocha latte. Despite his best efforts, his body wouldn't accept the reality of gaining weight. It was obvious that young women were swarming around August. August was cursed with a body sculpted by anything but mortals. It surprised Riley at how quickly he adjusted to his gender change. Was that part of the ghost's amusement? A sigh emitted from August as she sat beside him. "I don't understand," he said, biting on his straw. He was missing August with oversized glasses who always gave him a warning glare before he did something stupid. He was missing her chubby cheeks that never concealed her blush when she blustered from embarrassment, and he missed her laugh. There was no resemblance to his old features, and he wondered if she missed them.

Of course, he doesn't get it. With ease, he adapts to everything. What makes him capable of such feats? "Is it fun?" I asked, trying not to look into his eyes based on the conversation with the ghost. As he holds my hand, he turns closer to me and says, "There, they'll back off." That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. Ew no, it's Riley. I want to throw up for thinking that. "Are you okay?" he asked as I wrapped my arm around him. "Are you?" I retorted. He looked up at me and said, "In any case, I was speaking with River." Hey, we had our own eyes at least. It was a delightful surprise that I hadn't noticed till now. "And?" I asked. His mother told him we might be able to reverse it if we went to the beach as the moon rose at midnight. I wanted to kiss him...ew...now you remember what that ghost told you.

I threw items in my room at the mirror, shouting "Ghost!". I'm not sure why I thought that would work. My sister kept bailing out. Everyone thought fat ass August Simmon had a glow up and became a hot ass bitch. It's nice to know my looks equal success. Possibly it would be ok if Riley wasn't pretending to be me around town. I'd probably be okay if I didn't spend almost every summer here. I mean, who am I kidding? No, I wouldn't. My eyes want to sleep, but my body wanted to stay awake, so I sighed, taking a seat on my bed and rubbing my hands over my face. My veins were rushing with an unknown adrenaline. I feel a hand on my shoulder. I don't know how he snuck in, but I'm not in the mood to deal with Riley right now. "Go away, Riley," I said. That bitch's voice said, "He's not here.". Immediately, I turned around. "Undo this now," I demanded. "No, even if I wanted to, you're missing a key factor," she grinned as she strolled around the room. "Which is?" I demanded, getting up wanting to choke her, but I don't think anyone can harm ghost.

"They can't," she said. Ugh, she's a mind reader too! "Can you explain why I'm ya know," I gestured at my body. "Oh, is that all you want to know?" she chuckled. There was more I would like to know. Rather than argue, I just nodded. "That's what you believe your soulmate wants," she said, opening my window as she leaned out, looking over the garden. "I loved that garden, but both of them were scum," she hissed. "Miss, are you telling me that this is the only body my soulmate will love me in...what about Riley?" I asked. She said, "Dawn is approaching. I thought you were smart," as she faded from view. I lay on my bed and feel the teardrops fall from my eyes. All that is on my mind is Riley. Why did her words sting?

"Aug, are you still here?" Riley asked. "I'm sorry about Luna. That wasn't right," August replied as she saw kids on a sugar rush running through the square. Riley was quiet, he had told many August was his girlfriend while flaunting his girlfriends and boyfriends in her face. Seeing her lose weight, he worried that their friendship was in jeopardy. Although he couldn't admit it out loud, he was worried about losing her to anyone. How could he care so much about her past with Luna when she was just a friend? Why did he find it hard to believe she was bi when he was bi himself? Maybe he always thought they would get together someday? "What time do we have to be at the beach?" she asked. "Before midnight," he replied. A Santa Claus approached them and handed them candy canes. "No thanks," August replied. Come on Aug, they're free. 96," he laughed. "River?" the two laughed. In parting, he wished them both good luck. Despite the chaos, August and Riley seemed lost in their own world.

*****

I sat with Riley next to a campfire that Riley had built on the beach while we chatted. I kept spraying bug spray toward the flame, watching it rise. Riley was ready to hurt me. One could only hope this would work. As Riley lay down, he looked up at the sky. Almost everyone in town was celebrating Christmas in July. The only thing we were waiting for was midnight. That's right on the nose, Elizabeth. I never asked her name, but I assume it is Elizabeth. We were losing flames as the wind from the waves attempted to put out our fire. Riley told me he did not plan to redo it; he even took away my bottle of bug spray. It seemed like a good idea to lie down next to him. "Riley," I said clenching his hand. "Yeah August," he replied. "Do you believe in soulmates?" I asked. "I do," he replied. "What do you think they look like?" she asked.

It was his wish to mention her, but it wouldn't have been the right time. His eyes scanned the moonrise as he sat up, and as he fell into her, his lips touched hers. They were surrounded by flames as laughter filled the air as a spark ignited.

*****

As Riley arose on the beach, he looked up at the sunrise. As soon as he noticed August was back to normal, he stood up and stretched. Standing up, he noticed there was not a single car in the area. August groaned when he nudged her, but smiled as she saw him. "It worked!" she exclaimed, hugging him. "August, where are we now?" he inquired. As her feet sank into moist sand, she asked, "What do you mean?". The beach was her favorite place, but she hated wet sand. "Are we back in time?" she asked. "I think we're in the 1980s," he replied, noting a couple just doing the same walk. The man in pre-wash jeans and the woman's hair one match from being engulfed in flames. 'Oh my God, Elizabeth's not from the 1880s, but she was from the 1980s,' August said. In the midst of the ocean's roar, Riley wondered, "How are we going to get back?"

I don't know, but I want to tell him how I feel about him. Even if he will never love me. 

August 05, 2021 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.