0 comments

Fiction Friendship Happy

It was early morning in Autumn's Coffee Shop and Autumn was preparing for opening day. Her coffee shop only opened in the fall an served almost every drink you could imagine. Her favorite was the pumpkin spice latte, despite the fact that she wasn't a huge fan of coffee. She could already smell the coffee in the air from the second she had walked in to open up. It was a strong smell, but she loved it. She had already gotten everything set up for when customers started pouring in. The coffee shop was open from the beginning of September to the end of November. It was 7:55 so she figured she could open the doors. Her first customer was a man named Henry. He was a tall man with a stern face, but she greeted him with a smile.

"I want a pumpkin spice latte," he said.

"Ok, that will be $5.45," Autumn told him. He handed her the money and she made his pumpkin spice latte. When she handed it to him he looked at it and then tasted it.

"This is terrible," he said, "I demand a refund!"

"I'm sorry sir, I don't do refunds," said Autumn.

"What do you mean you don't do refunds, I'm going to give you a bad review," He replied, "This is the worst coffee shop I've ever been to." Then he stormed out the door. Autumn was taken aback by Henry's negative attitude towards a cup of coffee. She felt a little sad that Henry had thought the latte was so bad that he had reacted like that. She reminded herself that there were probably other factors that had made him so negative. He probably had a bad start to his day. She didn't want Henry's bad attitude to ruin her day, so she took a deep breath and continued on with her day, but the feeling lingered for a while before she was able to shake it off. It's hard to shake off a negative feeling, especially when you go into a day with a positive attitude expecting good things and something negative and bad happens. Often we can't decide what happens to us so we have to make the best of what is given to us. Autumn remembered this lesson and used it to turn her day around after that negative interaction.

A few weeks later Henry came in again and he said, "I'm sorry I was so rude last time, I was in an unresonably bad mood from something that happened earlier that morning and that was not a good reason to take it out on you, I'm so sorry and I hope you can forgive me.

"It's ok," said Autumn, "You didn't mean it, if you want to hang around for a coffee I have an assistant now so maybe we can sit down for a coffee. It turned out something was wrong with my latte machine so this time it will be better."

"Alright," said Henry. So they sat down with some pumpkin spice lattes and talked for a while until Henry had to go and Autumn had to get back to work.

"What was that all about?" asked Autumn's assistant April.

"Well that was Henry, he had a bad day a couple weeks ago and was quite rude, but he apologized and we are friends now."

"How is is that you can somehow become friend with almost everyone that you meet?" asked April.

"Well I just see someone an then usually we both say hi and then we're friends. There are also people that walk right past me and make rude comments, but I don't let those people ruin my day." It was almost time to close the coffee shop so they started to wrap things up. It was about 4:57 in the evening, so they went ahead and closed up. After they closed there was still multiple things that needed to be done, but April had to go home early.

"I'm so sorry I have to leave you with all this work," April said as she was getting ready to go.

"It's alright," said Autumn, "If you have something more important to do I want you to be able to do it and besides there isn't that much work left, so you just go and enjoy doing whatever it is that you have to do."

"Thanks for understanding so much Autumn," said April. So after April left Autumn finished cleaning up and went home. When she got home she started to drink the pumpkin spice latte that she had brought home with her as she turned on the TV to watch Seinfeld on Hulu. Then she realized that it was almost 6:30 so she started making supper. She wasn't quite sure what to make so she went with some TV dinners. The rest of the evening was uneventful.

The next day at the coffee shop Autumn wasn't feeling well.

"April, will you be ok if I go home now?" asked Autumn.

"Yes, why?" asked April.

"I don't feel very well, but I will be back at the end of the day to check on things," replied Autumn. So Autumn went home and just chilled for the rest of the day. When she came back to check on the coffee shop April was absolutely tired.

"After you left business really picked up," said April. Autumn was feeling better so she offered to close up shop. So, April went home and Autumn closed the shop.

A few weeks later they were getting ready for the end of the season finale. They were going to do a Thanksgiving theme and they had created a new drink called the Turkey Cooler especially for the occasion and it was going viral! Everyone loved it! They had decorated the coffee shop with beautiful Turkeys and leaves. Almost everyone commented on the amazing decorations. Autumn's Coffee Shop had had a very successful season. Autumn was sad to close up the shop, but she couldn't be more thankful for the successful season they had had.

October 11, 2020 20:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.