0 comments

Fiction Romance

The party was in full swing when Sandra arrived with two other friends. The two-story house was crammed full of college students, nearly all of them with a red solo cup in their hands, talking loudly over the rave music. The place smelled of spilled alcohol, weed, and body odor. 

This wasn't Sandra’s typical scene, but she’d just broken up with her three-year boyfriend and her friends insisted on her joining them to “let loose and have fun.” This place didn’t look fun, but she had nothing else to do tonight. She followed her friends through the living room, passing girls wearing minimal clothing and guys in half unbuttoned shirts, all of which already seemed drunk and ready to grind on whoever they were next to. The kitchen-turned-bar was blanketed with every type of alcohol you could think of, and surrounded by people taking shot after shot. It was 10pm and the party would go until 4am. Sandra sat at an empty bar stool at the edge of the kitchen and poured herself a glass of whiskey. She could enjoy this more if she was tipsy. The first drink went down smoother than she expected, although it still had a bite, but it truly was good. She downed the glass and poured herself another one. Spinning the stool around, she leaned back and smiled, observing the room as the craziness increased and her vision turned fuzzy.

Landon hurried down the sidewalk towards the house. Kacey should have texted him by now, but she hadn’t. He hoped she wasn’t mad at him. He stayed late at work to finish up paperwork and hoped she wasn’t in one of her moods. The door opened after his first knock. The place was suffocating. A guy and girl were running up the stairs to his left, several people making out blocked the hallway in front of him, and someone in the study past the stairs snored loudly on the floor. It was only 11. 

Now I need to find Kacey, somehow. He moved through the living room, trying to ask if anybody had seen Kacey, but nobody heard what he said over the music. Passing by the bar, he went through a door into the backyard. It too overflowed with people, several crowded into a hot tub. The yard was fairly large, with a bonfire in one corner and corn hole just beyond the pool. A keg stand and beer bong were being played on the porch. There wasn’t much light, making it hard to find Kacey among the multitude of other scantily clad brunette women. 

He moved between the tables of beer pong, narrowly avoiding an overthrown ball, and entered through the back porch door. This room, a rustic den with a huge tv on the back wall, reeked of weed and other substances. People passed a bong around in one corner and several people laid on two couches. On one couch, he spotted Kacey. Her bright pink miniskirt and matching crop-top was unmistakable. She sat on a muscular guy’s lap and as he kissed her neck passionately and rubbed her thigh. His heartbeat rose. Three weeks into their relationship and she had cheated on him. He approached them gingerly, wanting to avoid a fight, until Kacey noticed and looked up. She smiled seductively at him.

“Are you enjoying the party?” She asked lightheartedly.

Was she being serious right now? She invited him to this rager and acted like what she was doing didn’t hurt. The guy eyed him suspiciously.

“What’s that look for?” Kacey must have seen the hurt on his face. “I told you this was an open relationship. Go find yourself a pretty girl to have fun with.” She winked at him and then turned and locked lips with the guy.

Landon wanted to rip that guy off of her but he turned around and headed to the bar. He needed a stiff drink, maybe two or three or a lot. She had mentioned an open relationship, but he thought she was joking. Guess not. He went through another door, down a hallway full of horny people and into the living room again, squeezing past people until he reached the bar. He poured a glass of vodka and sprite, mostly vodka though, and chugged. Ah, that hit the spot. A few more of these and Kacey would be a long-forgotten memory. He glanced to his left and noticed a girl sitting at the edge of the kitchen, twirling a glass in her hand. Maybe he should talk to her, she looked like she didn’t want to be here, something they had in common.

Sandra twirled the empty glass, wishing she was anywhere but here. The guy across the kitchen smiled at her. She refused to smile back, wishing that she could drink more, being only mildly tipsy at the moment. Unfortunately, she had to resist drinking more. A guy had already tried to take advantage of her. “An empty room upstairs and a condom,” is what he had promised her and then when she said no, continued to nag until the purple-haired girl at the bar told him to “screw off”. 

Now, this guy walked toward her, smiling. His blue buttoned up shirt, teal Chubbies, and sperrys sold him out as a typical frat. He would chat with her, complement her body, and then make a case for why she should have sex with him. She would then have to refuse him several times. Thankfully, purple hair was still at the bar, cleaning up spills and replenishing the alcohol. 

He still smiled at her as he drew close. The disdain on her face hadn’t deterred this cocky douchebag. She sighed loudly.

This girl must be having a terrible night. Landon wondered if she had been cheated on, just like him. One more thing they had in common. She glanced at him as he made his way over, her green eyes catching his. Her face wasn’t caked in makeup like most girls, but still beautifully symmetric, with a smooth jawline and bright eyes that feigned intelligence. 

She flicked her eyes at him. Was she flirting or annoyed? Did this girl want to do something? Maybe she really was just bored or upset. He made his way toward her slowly, smiling. As he reached her, she swiveled in the stool to face him.

“Hey, what’s your name?” He yelled over the music.

“Sandra.” 

He could barely hear her. “Are you okay? You look like you’re not having a good time.”

Sandra glared at him, wondering how long before he made his offer. She could humor him for a bit. It wasn’t like she had anything better to do.

“I’m fine. I’m just not in a party mood.” 

“I feel the same way.” He smiled again and checked his phone. Sandra’s eyes narrowed. What was this guy up to?

“What’s your name?”

“Mine? Oh sorry, I’m Landon.” He held out his hand. She hesitated and then shook it, smirking. This was different.

Was Sandra making fun of him? If she didn’t want to talk to him, she should have just ignored him. He didn’t need anybody else messing with his feelings. 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

Her smirk dissipated, and she chuckled. “You shook my hand.”

“Oh… I–“

“No, it’s not bad. It’s just different.”

Different in a good or bad way? He couldn’t tell if she was messing with him or making fun of him, and he didn’t like it. There was an awkward silence between them, and he turned to leave.

“Why are you here?” She asked.

“Here?” 

“Yea, here at this party.” She sat her glass on the counter and looked up at him.

“Well… I came here for my girlfriend but found her with another guy.”

Her eyes widened, “Yikes. Sorry about that.”

Sandra seemed genuinely sorry about what happened.

“It’s whatever, I’ll get over it.”

Sandra rocked back and forth on the stool. Landon didn’t act like he was trying to sleep with her, or maybe he was just awkward. His eyes showed an authentic sadness about his girlfriend.

“So, why are you here?” He eased himself onto the stool next to her. 

“I’m here to have fun. To drink and forget all my problems.”

He raised an eyebrow. “It doesn’t look like you’re having fun alone in the corner of the kitchen.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, if men weren’t disgusting then I would drink more.”

He shook his head. “That sucks. I’m sorry men are that way. It’s hard to find a good guy.”

What was Landon’s end goal? Their voices were getting exhausted having to talk over the loud music but didn’t want to end the conversation.

“Want to go somewhere quieter?”

Landon stared at her, then looked around the room. Did she want to have sex with him or just talk in a quieter place? He didn’t know how to respond. 

“Uh… sure, if you want to… to talk more.” He stuttered.

A genuine smile appeared across her face, “Yes. Just to talk. Only to talk.

He let out a long breath, “Yes, talking is just fine with me.” Whew, this girl was a lot more forgiving than most at these places.

“Let’s go outside.” 

Landon followed Sandra outside, and they found a corner to continue their conversation.

Sandra turned out to be a psychology major in her sophomore year and three weeks ago her boyfriend of three years had suddenly broken it off with her. Her eyes match her brain, her intelligence obvious in the way she spoke. She knew a lot more about people than he did. Halfway through their conversation he completely forgot about Kacey and wanted to talk with Sandra for the rest of the party.

Landon was not the frat boy he dressed like and his goofy personality endeared her to him. He genuinely listened to her and asked through provoking questions. Landon showed respect towards her that most guys at these types of parties would never show unless they were getting something in return. He never tried to convince her to do anything else, making it easier to relax around him, so much so that she filled up her drink again. For the moment, her boyfriend was a distant memory. 

The night drew to a close, and Landon knew he should leave soon. He hadn’t expected the night to turn out like this, but he was glad it did.

“So, can I have your number?”

She grinned, “Of course you can.”

They exchanged numbers, and she texted him immediately. That was a great sign. He walked her to her friend’s car.

“Have a goodnight. I hope to see you again.”

She slid into the car. “I really hope so, too. Goodnight.”

February 03, 2022 21:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.