19 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

"Never do your thieving when the rabbit can see you, munchkin."

Tara looked up from her barely-won handful of berries, meant to be fated for tomorrow's pie, and saw the full moon shining behind her mother. It may as well have been a flashlight. "I was only trying to hide from you, mama, not the rabbit."

Her mother shook her head and picked up the bowl from the counter, gesturing at Tara to return her ill-gotten snack. "If you hide from one, you hide from all Tarinka. Even the moon won't keep your secrets."

Tara pouted and gave one last yearning glance to the berries, now returned to a higher shelf, before conceding and going back to bed.

The clang of a bowl hitting the counter too hard stopped her. When Tara turned back, her mother was bent over, her eyes closed. Without a word, Tara turned back and wrapped one tiny arm around her mother’s waist and walked them both to bed.

“Mama,” Tara whispered once they were under the covers of her mother’s bed, “How will you catch me eating berries if the sickness takes you?”

Her mother’s cold hand lifted and patted blindly around Tara until she grasped it in her own warm fingers. “Moi Tarinka.” She whispered back, “Mamas who love their babies very much get to live on the moon with the rabbit and see all of their secrets first hand. So I will never be so far that I can’t see you, maybe even–” Her sentence was interrupted by a cough that pulled Mama’s hand away from Tara’s grasp.

Tara rolled over and curled into her mother’s side. “It’s okay, mama. Let’s sleep now.”

***

Somebody was in her house.

Tara slid out of bed, keeping her center of gravity as stable as she could to bribe the springs into being quiet as she rose, and lifted her gun from her nightstand with only the smallest whisper of metal on wood.

She padded out into the hallway, weaving from the center to the edges and minding the scraps of broken moonlight that peeked though curtains and bounced around corners, determined to see everything the world tried to keep hidden. Even soldiers wouldn't risk going out in that light tonight. They had plenty of their own secrets to keep.

Tara paused to listen around the corner from the kitchen and heard it again-- a bowl or plate or something clinking against something hard. Her china wasn't real, but she'd bring down anyone who tried to take it on principle.

Tara let out one steadying breath before pivoting around the corner, her gun aimed for the general height of an adult. She expected a looter, or even one of the more skilled pickpockets in the area, though she was sure her locks were difficult to trick.

"Dro--" Tara's warning died in her throat. There were no adults in the kitchen at all, only a child who wore more holes than shoes on her feet and a blanket of dirt for company.

The child looked up at her, first in alarm at being caught and then with the tear-filled fear of looking down the barrel of a gun. Tara flipped the safety back on and put the gun on top of the high cabinets closest to her. She had not been as quick as her mother. The girl already had berry stains around her mouth and even had the confidence to start drinking directly from a container of milk that once sat in Tara's fridge.

"I'm sorry." The girl whispered, choosing to be the first to break the silence between them as her gaze flitted from Tara to the cat door that must have been her access point.

Tara sighed and held her hand out for the carton of milk. The child returned it and let out a small gasp when Tara promptly turned and dropped the whole thing in the trash can. "It was bad. I was going to the market tomorrow. Do you like juice?"

The girl nodded, and Tara opened the fridge door and poured two glasses of juice. The girl's small hands shook less as she took one of the glasses for herself and Tara's eyes followed the bright light streaming into the kitchen to the moon outside.

"Do you see the moon? How there is the shape of a rabbit on it?"

The girl nodded.

"Never do your thieving when the rabbit can see you, devuchka. Even the moon won't keep your secrets."

The child gulped her first sip of juice down hard and sucked in her lip to chew on it. Tara drained her own glass and set it in the sink.

"But I will, on a night as cold as this. There is a blanket on the couch and a tub in the bathroom, there," Tara jerked her head to nod at the door opposite the hall from the kitchen. "And if you help me pick more berries for my pie tomorrow I will get you new shoes."

She looked at the girl and then at the cat door. "Or, you go back in the snow and hope Russia points you to a second chance to stay warm somewhere."

Tara reached up to retrieve her gun and went back to her room to store it properly, now that there was a kid in the house. She stood still at her nightstand, wondering what she would choose, and smiled when she heard the water from the tub turn on. She padded over to her window and nudged the curtain aside to find the moon again. From here, the light was fractured by a large tree that shaded her room from the sun in the summer. But she could still see the rabbit, mostly. Enough of it. Enough of her.

"Mama. Thank you for showing her to me before--" Tara's throat closed around her words. It didn't matter. The rabbit would tell her what Tara meant. Some secrets weren't meant to be kept.

February 19, 2024 16:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Ty Warmbrodt
04:25 Feb 20, 2024

Story telling at its best. Loved it.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
13:19 Feb 20, 2024

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malia Kao
19:54 Feb 26, 2024

This was amazing and so emotional! The story was very concise and the way you told it kept me engaged the whole time. The theming was brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Allison Stoll
19:41 Feb 26, 2024

Beautiful prose! I love the imagery of the moon as a flashlight when Tara gets caught. The world-building is great, too, the way you revealed things little by little and kept certain things a mystery had me hooked! Thank you for sharing :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alexis Araneta
18:03 Feb 19, 2024

This was amazing, Kristina ! I love how it went full circle. Beautiful flow and descriptions, as usual. Amazing job !

Reply

Kristina Aziz
16:29 Feb 27, 2024

I was woken up by a full moon shining in my window when I got inspired for this one! 😅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L J
16:29 Feb 19, 2024

Well done. I liked the symbolism you used. Hopefully, this story will be continued? Thank you for reading mine, much appreciated

Reply

Kristina Aziz
19:29 Feb 19, 2024

Tara is a fallback character I tend to come back to for one-shot stories, but maybe one day they'll all thread together into one big story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
17:48 Mar 06, 2024

Enjoyed reading this very much, Kristina. Just one small thing I wondered about… 🤔 how big would the cat door have been to enable a young girl to pass through?

Reply

Kristina Aziz
18:08 Mar 06, 2024

I was able to use the pet door to get in my house when I forgot my key until I was about 14 😅 I was small for my age though

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
19:55 Apr 25, 2024

😂😂😂 (I think your cat door must’ve been quite a lot bigger than ours 😉)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Steckley
12:09 Mar 01, 2024

This is a good use of mythology to tell a tale. I was, however, wondering where it took place and what the time period was. And I also wondered what devuchka meant, and what language it came from. Tarinka I reckoned was a term of endearment based on her name 'Tara'. The use of the French "moi" was a little confusing.

Reply

Kristina Aziz
14:08 Mar 01, 2024

Hi! Моей is the Russian 'my' in this case. It's anglicized as moi and sounds slightly different from the French word, but I can definitely see the confusion!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
The Truth
13:41 Feb 26, 2024

Truly masterful. This is like literary professor level writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kerriann Murray
01:09 Feb 26, 2024

Loved this one! I hope you end up coming back to it again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Tom Skye
14:57 Feb 23, 2024

Very poetic, coming of age story. Beautifully written and a joy to read. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Trudy Jas
22:10 Feb 21, 2024

"Bribe the bedsprings into being quiet. What a wonderful phrase. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
21:02 Feb 21, 2024

That is a memorable story. You began great, and you’re getting even better with each story. Wonderful insights and turns of phrase.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mary Bendickson
21:08 Feb 19, 2024

Teach your children well... Thanks for liking my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.