0 comments

Mystery Speculative

"Is your life miserable?'

"Do you wish that the world wasn't pinned against you so you can feel that swing of pride and joy!"

"Look no further than our brand new company, say it with me folks!"

'The Smiler!"

"The Smiler is a simple chip placed in your head that only takes a few seconds to activate, once activated the chip switches your vision so anything bad...becomes joyful and full of color!"

"Our world and people are becoming desperate and broken but with The Smiler we can help fix it!"

"Crimes become a party! Shelters for animals? no no no their actually a large mansion for the pets safety!"

"These chips could even help once horrible criminals become wonderful people again! Turning them from bad to good in an matter of seconds"

"Rebellious teens? No more! They'll be willing to help with chores, help the elderly, even cleaning their rooms and homework!"

"That sounds lovely and exciting! No more screaming at them to get up in the morning. They'll be up bright and early to be ready for the day.

"Now there's no need to fear folks, the chip will remotely shut off when you are ready to rest for the next best day but our employes so you can get that full well deserved rest"

"Now..we hope one day everyone will have The Smiler so our world will be safe and fixed, no more harsh battles..Violence that end with the children in tears..."

"You don't wanna lose your children do you?'.."

"Of course you don't!"

"The children are important to us"

"Please Help me!..."

"I don't belong in here!..."

"Heh..don't mind the noises in the back my dear friends..our chips will bring you love and the pride you deserve!"

"H-Hey! Give me that camera you little!---"

-.. --- -. .----. - / - .-. ..- ... - / - .... . / -.-. .... .. .--. ... / .--. .-.. . .- ... . -.-.--

_____Broadcast has been paused____

__________________________*

"The chips are positive. Nothing is wrong with them folks"

"No need to worry about it..I promise you.."

.... . .----. ... / .-.. -.-- .. -. --. / - --- / ..- ... / .- .-.. .-..

"Come on down to Willow's avenue to get your Smiler today! Price is starting at an easy 15.99!"

"What a great price to pay to protect your children and family right?"

"The time to act is now my friends, get your Smiler today and help change our world together!"

__________________

_Broadcast has ended_

_________________

___Missing person report___

A family of 3 have vanished from their home near Willow's avenue on June 3rd of this year. Neighbors overheard the parents talking about the new company called "The Smiler" and were planning to get one for their son for high school.

Neighbors also say they say the family leave about 4:00pm and haven't returned since, the house had been locked and no signs of re-entry have been noticed. Some however say the boy had wanted to stay home while his parents left but hadn't left or entered the house seeming to have randomly vanished into thin air.

Police stopped at the house after a neighbor got worried when no-one answered for a game night the block would have and no one answered the phone inside after a few rings. The officers on sight went into the house to see everything was neat and organized which wasn't strange but upon heading upstairs the doors seemed slammed..most of their hinges. Stepping into the sons bedroom they found his cellphone hidden under a pillow with his messages still open.

Friends speaking and warning about how strange The Smiler was and what harm it might do to a person while others in the messages highly recommend it as everything was better in their lives.

The officers left the scene around 6:00 to speak with friends of the family while the house didn't give much detail on what could have happened.

Please if you have any information about the family and their whereabouts please contact the police as quickly as you can. Time may be running out for the family and they need to be returned home as soon as possible.

Once again please call the police if you have any sign of them or hear any news...The town is concerned and need them back home at once..Be warned of what may happen to your families, please be warned and cautious of your homes and cameras..

________End of missing report_______

_Broadcast 2_____

"Is your life boring young man?"

"No...Please I wanna go ho-"

"Stick to the script sir"

"M-mhm..."

"How about we give you a free Smiler!? To turn that frown upside-down and see the beauty of the world!"

"Where are my parents?...'

"Stick to the script!"

"No! I wanna go home!..Let me go!"

"Keep quiet!"

"Where is my mom and dad!?..."

"Enough you little brat!"

"As you can see folks...our society is falling apart more and more with rebellious teens! And it's our job to help them.."

"Hold still young man...It will only hurt for a while"

"Everything will be ok..Once the chip is in, no more rebelling against your elders"

"No NO NO!..."

_____________Broadcast has been paused______

_______Broadcast unpaused________

"And how do you feel young man?"

"I feel...great sir.."

"Perfect! The Smiler has done it's job and fixed a once rebellious teen..to a productive young man ready to extend their smile to the world!."

"Now how about you go and finish your homework champ?'

"Ok sir"

-Distant fading footsteps...-

"There you have it folks! Come on down and grab your Smiler Today! To turn your frown...Into one big smile.."

___Broadcast ended____

.. .----. -- / -. --- - / -- . / .- -. -.-- -- --- .-. . .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- .. -- / ... -.-. .- .-. . -.. / .- -. -.. / .- ..-. .-. .- .. -.. --..-- / .. - / .... ..- .-. - ... / - --- / - .... .. -. -.- .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . -.-.-- / -.. --- -. .----. - / - .-. ..- ... - / - .... . / -.-. .... .. .--. -.-.-- / .... . .-.. .--. / -- . .-.-.-

_The Smiler! To help turn our world is in danger...Come on down and do your part to help our society_

-Signing off-

Doctor Mark Falen.

Owner of The Smiler.

March 06, 2023 16:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.