0 comments

Romance Fiction Friendship

Everyone gasped, staring at him in disbelief, when By Sky shared that he was moving. They were all in a circle, playing telephone. Some people turned to each other, whispering fiercely and others asking By Sky whether he’d move close to school. Not very far, they said. Like, to another state or even country.

“No.” By Sky shook his head, waving his hands in front of him. “No—that’s never going to happen. It’s down a little ways from the city of Charleston. We’ve decided I’m not going to school here anymore. I’m moving—school’s too far away. But I’ll visit. Don’t worry—”

“Don’t worry!” Some of By Sky’s best friends—girls—shook their heads, eyes huge and flickering with hatred for By Sky to put this news he had said he hadn’t told anyone for a long time. He said he had planned to tell these girls—Shannon, Haley and Riley—but he missed the party due to a night of discussion with his parents about moving across the city to another school, another neighborhood and another life. Everyone glared at him for not telling them to stay when he had said he had missed a whole party!

“I can’t believe it!” Riley threw her bracelet-decorated arms up. “By, don’t you want to stay here? I mean, you have everything. Come on—don’t betray us.”

“I’m not.”

By Sky stretched out, putting one ankle in top of another. His hands were out behind him. He shrugged, studying his neon yellow socks. “Hey—look at the bright side. I’ll still hang out with you guys—”

“No—not on weekends. You’ll be out with your new friends, telling them all what you’ve told us. Don’t betray us. You’re the most popular kid in high school right now. We’re graduating in two years. You can’t do this to us. We’re—”

“Aren’t at fault, and neither am I. I can’t stay here. My parents make the decision. Not you!”

By Sky got up, saying he had to go. He wanted to go to the mall with Riley, Shannon and Haley, and they all got up, grabbing their purses, ignoring the rest of the teenagers. If these teens wanted to stay behind, so be it. He was moving, and there was nothing they were going to do about it. What would they do, sue his parents?

“Bye!”

The girls flicked hands up towards the circle as By Sky waved casually, hands sliding into pockets. The girls and the guy slipped into By Sky’s minivan, the teen driving the girls to their usual destination. “Anyone want to know the real reason why I am moving?”

“Huh?” Riley, the passenger beside By Sky, looked at him. “Your reason? There’s no—”

“There is!”

By Sky sighed, suppressing the urge to just yell to everyone that he wasn’t the cool kid on the block anymore. “Yeah—there is. My parents aren’t too interested in the partyers. They’re misusing the parties, turning them into complete wreckages. Every time I have one at my house, I’m ending up killing myself picking up all the crap. I’m sick of it. I’m not hosting any parties at my house anymore. I’m not inviting anyone. Maybe you three, but we’re not doing any crazy games. It’s just too much.”

The van, if there could be, would be the home of chirping crickets. The girls just looked at each other, By Sky jerking an affirmative nod. “Yeah.” He put on his black sunglasses that were hanging from the rearview mirror. “So accept it. I can’t go back.”

The girls sighed at one, it seemed. By Sky shook his head. “You guys are invited. But no one else. Please—I’m not trying to just be a killjoy. I’m just—I…” He looked outside and told everyone to get outside and enjoy a nice time at the mall. It was Saturday night. What a trip away from the stress of changing the times.

“Okay…”

The girls all got out, By Sky locking his car. Once he reached the sneakers department, Riley—his closest friend—asked him whether he was going to have pool parties. Would he have a cool pool, complete with lights under the water, especially at night?

“Of course!”

By Sky nodded as he looked over the shoes. “Yeah, that’s mandatory. You need to see whether there are people, and the people can’t drown. Besides, too many people is dangerous. But I’ll have pool parties at the local gym. Sorry—no pool at my place anymore.”

“Oh.” Riley clasped her hands. “I wish you would—”

“Well, I’m not.”

The pressure to stay and get a new pool for these selfishly partying teens just caused By Sky to purse his lips. He inhaled and got a box with white dance shoes. Grabbing a box, he said he’ll see her at the dance studio. Buying his product, he waited for the other two—Shannon and Haley—to come outside of Hot Topic and Victoria’s Secret. Once their many bulging bags sat in the trunk, they all headed for Shannon and Haley’s neighboring houses. Riley’s house rested a few down from By Sky’s mobile home.

When the girls walked into Shannon’s house, excited about their sleepover together, with their bags, Riley and By Sky stood there on the sidewalk in front of Riley’s house. “So…” She jammed a brown summer boot into a crack. “You’re truly sorry about living in a mobile home. That’s why you’re moving.”

“No. Yes—we have lived in a mobile home for the last five years. My family moves every two years. My dad’s in the military. We just like small houses—my mom’s taste. My dad agrees as long as we all move.” He shrugged. “Everyone trashes the place because it’s a mobile home. But I attend a great school. We’re not living out of the car.”

“So stop judging me, you’ve tried telling the school.”

“Yeah.”

Riley stood there, maybe thinking. Finally, she spoke. “Yeah—”

“Ri, I highly suggest you tell the school. Tomorrow, in the school play.”

Riley stood in the front of the stage, and gave her speech. And sang her song.

Everyone stood except the teenagers. No one moved. They all got up, leaving.

Riley and By Sky talked at her house on her porch, red cups of apple juice hitting each other as they laughed at stories told from long ago. When By Sky said he’d have Riley, Shannon and Haley over for one last movie, Riley blinked and then teared up. The red cup was set down. She stood up and hugged By Sky. He hugged her back.

“Don’t go!” She begged, releasing and then looking up at him. He looked down at her, nodding.

“Yeah, I don’t want to. Really don’t. But I’ll visit you.”

“Can’t you convince your parents?”

“No. Besides, that song was beautiful. You really told them.”

Riley shrugged.

“No, come on. It was awesome!” By Sky patted her shoulder, and then squeezed it. “Please—just know this. Don’t be so lonely. I’ll be there in spirit. You just need to remember me. Okay?”

“You’re not dying!” She giggled.

“I know! But a piece of me is. Because you won’t be there at my new school. Or even neighborhood.”

“Yeah.”

When Riley saw By Sky’s old mobile home, she stood there, soaking in the memories of the toddlers running around his very old home back by the lake, fishing and ice skating. Shaking her head and laughing at the time when By Sky fell and then tried showing off a move, Riley pulled out her phone.

Hey! Just drinking in all the times we’re together. Thanks for the apple juice, by the way.

No problem. Hey, Riley? Can you do something for me?

Yeah—what’s that?

Don’t be sad.

Why? You moved.

Everyone else is. You’re my best friend. Don’t just be sad. Cheer up—I’ll invite you for Thanksgiving and Halloween parties. K?

Riley texted him back, but he didn’t respond. He started befriending other girls who were happy and full of fun and love for animals and nature. He didn’t email or visit Riley or Haley or Shannon. It was a long time before they ever saw each other again. Finally, when By Sky was at the mall, someone startled him.

He turned around, seeing a familiar face. He walked up to her.

“Ri, are you still—”

“No, By. I’m happy.”

She shared she had thought of By Sky’s ability to make things better by putting a smile on when he faced new challenges. By Sky grinned, but then it fell. “Riley, don’t just do it for me. Do it for yourself. I’m already a friend with other people. Can’t you, too? Everyone’s left me. I…” He took a deep breath. “I did, too, but I can’t hold on to our relationship forever like this. You need to move on, too.”

Riley nodded, but By Sky felt it was just for now. When he moved back into his dorm room that fall, he told his roommate he wasn’t sure whether he could go on like this. Like what, the guy asked, turning away from his textbook and notepad. Like my friend’s suffering. We’ve been best friends since preschool, but she’s really upset. Even now, in college!

The guy shook his head, pitying the situation. Then he went back to his studies.

By Sky thought of switching colleges. He wanted to cheer Riley up, but nothing worked. When he invited her to a party at his school, she declined. Meeting her outside the gym, he threatened to cut off their relationship. For good. She texted nonstop. She called a million times, even in class. She always posted selfies.

“Ri.” He boldly said. “Don’t come back. If you do, wear a smile!”

Shuffling off, he enjoyed the night with his girlfriend. Riley watched him a second and then walked away. Driving away to her own college a few miles down the road, Riley suddenly swerved out of the way of an incoming truck. Gasping for breath, she was relieved she had not been hit. Pulling off to the side of the road, the young student pulled out her phone.

Looking at it, she blinked. He wants me to continue with life. He moved. So should I.

Riley slowly let go of By Sky’s hand. She didn’t post selfies anymore. She bought something in memory of their times together. By Sky received a picture of it by email.

Thanks, By Sky, for helping me understand. Here’s a little something for us both!

Love,

Riley

By Sky looked at it, and nodded.

Thanks, Riley. Does this mean we’re still together although we’re far apart?

Sure! She just wrote back.

Soon, By Sky received an invitation to a party by a friend. It was in a dangerous part of town, with questionable attitudes, drugs, smoking and an extremely high level of goofing off and getting drunk. By Sky shook his head, and the person rejected him. He sighed.

I loved Riley. It’s just…

He talked that night at a restaurant with his girlfriend. She liked the guy who had invited him. She said she wished she had gone. He squeezed a tight smile onto his face. She seemed annoyed. Breaking up with him then and there, she seemed abrupt.

“Just because—”

“Whatever!” She stormed out the door, leaving a confused, agitated By Sky annoyed and shaking his head. Hurrying with the check, he dashed outside, but she had already driven off. They only had one car. By Sky yanked his phone out of his pocket, dialed a number and barked out that he didn’t understand. Just because he was different didn’t mean he had to face this humiliation! The waiter came out, telling him to rewrite the right calculations. By Sky clenched his fists, but obeyed the waiter. Thanking him, the waiter gave him his credit card back and headed back inside with a wondering look.

Yeah, me too.

He started walking—his dorm room’s apartment was only a block away—when a car skidded into view. The headlights went out, and a beautiful woman stepped out. She looked at him, and he at her, but he gave a very small smile as she said a quiet hi and went on her way. Relieved it wasn’t Riley or his ex-girlfriend, By Sky continued, his steps growing heavier. Once he jumped into his bed that night, he closed his eyes. But he couldn’t sleep. Studying till the wee hours of the morning, By Sky yawned and then retired to bed.

Waking up was a nightmare. By Sky slept all day, his alarm clock busted from his pounding fist upon its delicate buttons. He didn’t even respond when his roommate jostled him. “Come on, man. It’s Saturday. Don’t you want to go to the mall?”

His eyes flickered. He jumped up, and then asked what day it was.

“Saturday, man.”

Relief washed over him. He shook his head. “No.”

“Bye, By Sky!” The door closed, laughter pursuing conversation as his roommate and some of his friends joined him.

“See ya.” He muttered.

When his phone vibrated with a text, By Sky looked at it. Sorry for the stupid restaurant reaction. I just…I enjoy being there. Just not being a part of it.

Then don’t go. Don’t even accept. By Sky responded politely, but he couldn’t help feel everyone was so oblivious to the truth. He wasn’t going to change others’ hearts. Only they could. He could only turn things around for himself. He strived to do this with himself, but he found himself staring at Riley’s name in his contacts list.

She really wanted me to be her friend still. I wanted her to go get a new life. Did I push her away? He texted her, and she responded.

Hey. I’m at the restaurant with my boyfriend. What’s up?

Uh…

*Giggle* Hey—it’s okay.

He grinned, and jumped out of bed, slipping a hoodie on his white T-shirt and exchanged pajama pants for jeans. Walking out in Crocs, By Sky soon drove to a nearby restaurant. Seeing someone exit, he looked, and saw Riley and a guy he could only assume was her lover. Wringing his sweaty hands, he pretended like nothing was happening. Peeking ever so slightly towards them to see them out of the corner of his eye, By Sky swallowed and then drove on. His phone vibrated.

His hands squeezed on the steering wheel in the parking space. Here I go.

He pressed on the phone, it lighting up. Going to the text message, By Sky read Riley’s message. He’s not into me. We broke up. He didn’t even hold my hand. I guess it’s just a fad. I saw him the other day walking with another girl. She was wearing a black dress and had a blue barrette in her blond hair.

That’s the girl who stormed out of our restaurant. She’s dating him?!

I guess so.

By Sky got out of his car, and walked towards a place to get his long hair cut. Then he noticed he didn’t have his wallet. Biting his lip, he returned to his car, searching for it. Grabbing it from the console, he closed the door and, locking his car door, he walked towards the hair cutter. Pocketing his wallet and keys, he almost bumped into someone exiting.

She was really pretty. She looked at him.

“You going, too?”

By Sky nodded. “Yeah, Ri. I am. You—you look really good.”

“Thanks!”

Watching her leave, By Sky found himself texting her almost as much as she did him. She asked him whether he wanted to eat at a restaurant every Saturday night. He agreed—more than he wanted to. One day, they bumped into each other at the mall, he buying another pair of dance shoes. She asked him whether he was trying to make it to Broadway. He chuckled, nodding. “Got my first part in a show. It’s tonight. Want to come? Tickets are cheap.”

“Sure.” She took the brochure, studying it. “Yeah, I think I will.”

“Great!”

Grinning, By Sky squeezed his hands in excitement. After the show, the only person he waved to was her. Riley.

And Riley saw just him. The costumed man with the beautiful bouquet of flowers.

At the restaurant on Saturday night, they sat there, just talking and encouraging each other in their hard courses. When By Sky mentioned he was going to Hollywood to play a part in a commercial, Riley grinned. “Great job, By. I’m so proud of you.”

“Hey—what are you doing after graduation?”

“Nursing is taking me to a hospital down in the south. We’re practicing in the OR. It’ll be stressful, but, you know. What isn’t?”

By Sky leaned forward, and she did, too. Cupping his hand around her ear, he whispered something into her ear. Leaning back, she told him to get up off the booth. Leaving the booth herself, she spread her arms and wrapped them around him, he hugging her back.

“Thanks, Riley. Always could use the encouragement!”

Releasing, the two held hands. “Though we’ll be far apart, we’re still together.”

“In spirit!”

At the mall, By Sky was buying another pair of expensive dance shoes. He looked up as he was about to get in the check-out line. She was looking at him. And grinned widely as she held up her hospital badge.

His eyes were shining, he knew. He wasn’t encouraging her anymore.

He held up his pair of dance shoes. When she went up to him, he said he was buying these for a costar. She had no shoes—she didn’t have the money. So he offered.

“That’s so kind of you.”

She nodded gratefully. “Thanks!”

As she walked away, By Sky couldn’t help but be relieved she had found her niche.

But, more importantly, he hadn’t forgotten about her.  

His bride by his side.  

September 02, 2022 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.