2 comments

Mystery Drama Crime

      Sarah knew that it was wrong. She knew that her actions would have consequences. Yet, she couldn’t help herself. She wanted so desperately to stop herself but she couldn’t. Even as she stood there taking in all that she had done, the possible events to follow didn’t cross her mind. All that she knew was that she was safe and safe was a feeling that Sarah hadn’t felt for such a long time.

           She met Kelly when she was eighteen. They bonded over their love of tiny dogs while frequently running into one another at the dog park. If Sarah had known what would come, she surely would have kept walking. They hung out with one another over the course of six months. Sarah didn’t suspect anything strange. Kelly was weird, yes, but that’s what drew Sarah to her. They both could care less about the opinions of others when they walked their dogs in raised conversations about whatever crossed their mind. They thought it, they said, and the other laughed or returned in the excitement.

           Sarah had no idea that the night she told Kelly about her date with John that things would spin in a completely different direction. She met Kelly at the park just as she had every day after work. Kelly was waiting on the bench her back toward the street. When Sarah approached, Kelly was perceived to be startled.

           “SarBear! You scared the light out of me!” Kelly said standing to her feet.

           “Sorry KelBell, I was just so excited I didn’t notice how light my feet must have been.” Sarah knelt down to greet Kelly’s spaniel.

           “You seem happy." Kelly said inquisitively. She was suspicious of the larger-than-normal smile Sarah had painted across her face.

           “You would never believe who asked me out.” Sarah said raising to her feet.

           “Who?” Kelly tried to hide the anger in her voice, she wasn’t sure if Sarah had caught it.

           “John!” Apparently not. “He just came up to the counter, order his normal everything bagel, and asked if I’d meet him for dinner.” Sarah couldn’t contain herself as she practically floated through the park, allowing her dog to pull her ahead.

           “Sounds like a bad idea to me.” Kelly said not making eye contact.

           “Why?” Sarah asked.

           “You don’t know him.” Kelly said.

           “Who really knows anyone. I didn’t know you until our dogs ran to one another.” Sarah said trying to reason with Kelly wouldn’t budge.

           “Come with me to my house first. I have something I think you could wear.” Kelly said suddenly on board. Sarah didn’t notice this quick change in attitude, she was too busy filling with excitement for what was to come.

           Later that evening, before her date, Sarah arrived to Kelly’s apartment dressed for her date but wondering what Kelly could possibly have for her. She hardly released her hand from the first knock before the door sprang open and a big smile painted across Kelly’s face met her on the other side. She ushered Sarah in, closing and locking the door behind her.

           “What did you want to give me Kel?” Sarah looked around for Kelly’s dog. The one that usually ran to Sarah every first chance that he got. As Sarah looked around awaiting an answer, she caught a glimpse of Kelly in the mirror behind her. Her smile had wandered away, now replaced by a sinister look that frightened Sarah. She spun around to see Kelly who was once again smiling. She tried to form an excuse for why she had to leave.

           “You can’t go, Sarah. I have something for you.” Kelly said walking to the closet beside her apartment door.

           “Just grab it. I don’t want to be late.” Sarah said trying to find a way to get out the door. Gazing around, she slowly walked in the direction of the door but the floor creaked beneath her. Kelly’s head snapped in Sarah’s direction and she closed the door shut and stood in place, eyes on Sarah. With a quick instinct, Sarah reached for the door, it was locked. As her hand grazed the lock, she felt something hit the top of her head and she was unconscious.

           She woke up to the moon completely up. Night had fallen, she had definitely missed her date. She had also woken to restraints. She was bound to Kelly's living room chair. Sarah couldn’t move her hands and feet and something covered her mouth. Just as she tried to get a glimpse of the full picture, she got herself into, Kelly emerged from the kitchen. A steaming bowl of soup in her hands.

           “Whose hungry?” Kelly smiled sitting across from Sarah on the coffee table. Sarah was terrified, she looked into Kelly’s eyes but didn’t see the friend she had grown to love. It seemed like someone else completely. Kelly raised the spoon to Sarah’s mouth after lowering the mouth covering. Before Sarah could think she bit Kelly causing her to drop the hot soup into her lap.

           “Damn it, Sarah!” Kelly said jumping up in anger at the hot soup that stained her pants. It went on that way for three weeks. Kelly kept Sarah tied to the chair and Sarah finally accepted the food Kelly offered on day three. She couldn’t hold out anymore. By the end of week three, she had accepted her fate. Left to rot in an apartment filled with soup cans and a crazy lady who apparently had no dog.

           “You’re probably wondering where Roscoe is.” Kelly said as she tied Sarah back to the chair after allowing her to use the bathroom. “She’s my neighbor’s dog, across the hall. She has like four dogs. She didn’t notice when little Roscoe would disappear for an hour or two. That and she’s blind and 84.” Kelly laughed loudly, it chilled Sarah to her core. She looked around the room at all her failed attempts to escape. The broken lamp that lay on the floor still, the opened umbrella, and the extra locks Kelly put on the door herself.

           “What are you going to do to me, Kelly?” Sarah asked wondering what it was all for.

           “Make you love me back.” Kelly smiled not making eye contact as she made sure Sarah’s restraints were tight enough.

           “You can’t force love Kelly.” Sarah said trying to get her attention.

           “That’s not what you said when you were sleeping.” Kelly smiled and walked out of the room leaving Sarah with her thoughts. Terrified as to what she meant Sarah gazed out the window in her viewpoint. The rustling of heavy footsteps coming up the stairs surprised her. She had hoped they were coming for her. That, someone, had finally noticed her missing. The steps were followed by loud music. It was evident that Kelly’s neighbors were having a party.

           Nine months, Kelly kept Sarah captive. She no longer required restraints. They formed a level of trust and even a bond Kelly thought. She could even leave for work and return home to find Sarah still there. It was a cold fall night when Sarah finally gathered the strength to ask. She looked at Kelly as she cooked dinner.

           “When can I see Mason?” Sarah asked in reference to her dog. She had waited to ask Kelly about him, fearing what she might do.

           Kelly only froze for a second, thinking of what to say. Before Sarah could ask again Kelly looked at her.

           “He didn’t make it.” Kelly said and resumed cutting vegetables. Sarah stood frozen. She didn’t believe Kelly.

           “No. Where is he?” Sarah got closer to Kelly to look into her eyes.

           “He’s dead. With trying to take care of you I didn’t go to your apartment. Sorry, but you were so much to deal with."

           That was the final straw for Sarah. She looked at her once friend, Kelly as she chopped food and slowly picked the fork up off the table. She slid it up her sleeve and proceeded as if nothing had bothered her. She slowly walked past Kelly to the fridge, to gather drinks as she usually did. However, she waited for the opportunity. She waited for Kelly to lift her head to check the time. Sarah used the lifting of Kelly’s neck to jam the fork into Kelly’s throat. Sarah watched as Kelly fought for help, slowly falling to the ground, blood covering her shirt.

           Sarah watched her fall. She stood frozen watching her captore slowly cling to her last breaths. Sarah slowly started to take steps back, looking at what she had done. She watched as blood spread across the kitchen tile and the only thing she felt was relief and safety. It didn’t sink in, what she had done. She pressed her body against the apartment door unable to run away. It was then that a sound caught her attention. A sound that she recognized and a sound that distracted her from the law she had just broken.

           Sarah rushed out into the hall to see the older lady across the hall giving her dogs' leashes to the dog walker. One of which Sarah recognized as her own. She found herself running down the hall without a care to the concerning looks she was receiving from those passing by and the walker at the end of the hall. She fell to the floor, the raggedy clothes that Kelly dressed her in, falling with her as she wrapped Mason in her arms. 

October 22, 2021 16:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Dawn Hollis
19:53 Jan 21, 2022

Kelly? That Chick Is Crazy! A Fork To The Throat...Ok, Whatever You Need To Do, To Get Free & Save Yourself! I'm Glad Sarah Is & Mason Are Ok! Trama!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dawn Hollis
11:15 Dec 04, 2021

😲 Wow,wow,wow! With mixed emotions, this is a great read! I was literally holding my breath, & on the edge of my seat, anticipating what will happen next! I didn't expect the story to end the way it did (not giving it away, just in case,😉) Hats off to the author, she always leaves us wanting more! 😁💞

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.