A New Beginning

Submitted into Contest #179 in response to: End your story with a kiss at midnight.... view prompt

0 comments

Romance

Cinderella stepped down the staircase, picking up her baby blue ball gown, daintily stepping towards her dear Prince Charming. It was the day they were getting married, a happy day for almost everyone. There was a large crowd waiting for her to make her vows to the prince, and everyone was chatting about her poor origin story. Cinderella looked up, smiling at the prince, who looked dashing as always. As she walked on, she caught a glimpse of a familiar man in the corner of her eye. She stopped and looked at him. He gave a sad smile and looked towards the prince. The prince was looking concerned now, waiting for Cinderella to continue. Cinderella cleared her throat and resumed walking, rearranging her smile.

2 years before…

“Cinderella,” her stepmother growled, “you’ve messed up lunch. Your ugly face is quite displeasing. Go somewhere else, clean the bathroom or something. I don’t care. I don’t want to see your face.”

Cinderella nodded her head and tried not to dash out of the room. She hid next to the tree on the farm next to their house, hoping for time to pass quickly enough. She closed her eyes and imagined what it would be like without her stepmother and stepsisters. She just wanted something good in her life to happen. The birds were tweeting quietly, squirrels scampering around. How peaceful, she thought. Suddenly, she heard a crunch next to her. She opened her eyes, not wanting to go back to work. 

“I apologize, Stepmother. I’ll get right back to work,” she sighed. She looked up, only to be shocked by a boy around her age staring at her. He had curly brown hair, a handsome face, kind brown eyes, and freckles splattered everywhere on his face. 

“Are you alright?” he asked, offering a hand to help her up. She felt her face go red in embarrassment and accepted it.

“U-um, I must apologize… I thought you were my stepmother. She’s been having me work a lot, and I didn’t want to continue. I was just taking a break, you see…” she rambled. 

The boy grinned, dimples showing up on his cheeks. “That’s alright. I take breaks quite often as well. What a coincidence that we both came here! This is my favorite spot.”

“Oh… sorry… I didn’t know I was taking up your spot. I can move…” Cinderella started to walk away, but the boy caught the sleeve of her dress.

“Oh, I didn’t want you to leave. I’m actually pretty lonely. What’s your name? I’m James,” he grinned and stuck out his hand. His face glowed in the sunlight, and his eyes sparkled, almost outshining the sun.

“Cinderella! Come and sweep the rooms!” her stepmother screeched from the house. Cinderella looked in that direction before turning back to James.

“Cinderella,” she replied politely, taking his hand and curtsying. “It’s nice to meet you, James. I hope I can see you again.” She shyly looked up at him, blushing before hurrying away. I should probably get back to work…

Cinderella often came out to the same tree when she was done with all of the chores, and she would sit there, embroidering or reading, waiting for James to come out. And when he did, he would sit next to her, and they would talk for hours, waiting for the sun to come down. She would pack a dinner for them to share, and they would watch the sunset, then bid each other goodbyes before heading back inside. There were times when Cinderella wouldn’t want to let go of him, and she just wanted to be with him forever. 

One night, they stayed out later, watching the stars twinkle in the sky. She was leaning on his shoulder, their backs against the tree.  

“Aren’t the stars beautiful?” she asked him, still looking up at the white specks in the dark sky.

“Yes…” he looked at her and leaned in to gently kiss her cheek. She tilted her face upwards and kissed him back, holding it for a few seconds before he broke it off. “Cinderella… I have something I need to tell you.” Cinderella nodded her head and blushed. James looked away, not wanting to say what he needed to say. “I’m moving. The housemaster is running out of money, and we need to go somewhere else. It’s too expensive to stay here. I have to leave with him… my contract won’t end for another 2 years. I’m sorry…”

She stared at him in shock, as tears started to run down her face. “James… When are you leaving? How much time will we have? Can I go with you?” she pleaded. The tears were streaming down now.

He held her face and brushed away her tears. “This is our last night. I’m leaving tomorrow morning. And you know how your stepmother would react. I’m sorry. I love you.” And with that, he stood up and brushed the leaves on his pants. He kissed her forehead. A gust of wind blew against his head, blowing his hair around, and she could see droplets of tears glistening in his eyes in the moonlight. He ran away, rubbing his eyes. 

Cinderella stared at him in silence for a few seconds, not wanting to believe what had happened. She gathered her stuff, rushed back in, ran into the basement, and curled in a ball against the wall. Her only friend was now gone. The only person who offered comfort when she was lonely, the only person who made life with her stepfamily tolerable. 

Cinderella didn’t sleep that night. She stayed up, sweeping everywhere around the house, busying her mind with doing chores. She didn’t want to remember him, and she blocked him out. She didn’t want to care about him anymore, but she knew she always would. She opened her window, and stared out there, looking at that tree where she spent her lonely times. She snuck into her stepsisters' room and stole a small ribbon. She ran out to that tree and tied it to a branch. Don’t forget me, James. I won’t forget you, so don’t forget me. She gave the tree a small kiss and turned away from it. 

Present.

“Darling, may I visit my old home for a bit? It won’t take long,” Cinderella asked him. They were in the palace now, their wedding now over. 

“Of course.” He kissed her forehead and smoothed out her hair. Cinderella got into her carriage, asking the coachman to take her to her old house. Once there, she got out and walked over to that tree. 

The ribbon was starting to grow into the tree now, becoming a part of the tree’s decaying branches. She felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning around, she saw that familiar smile, curly red hair, and bright brown eyes. She smiled. “James. Oh, how I’ve missed you.” She hugged him. “I’m afraid I’ve moved on. I do hope you’ve been well.”

“I have. Times have been well. I now own a house. How have you been, Cinderella? I suppose I should call you Princess now, hm?” he chuckled. “I’ve gotten married as well. I heard that you were becoming the princess and I had to check. I’m glad to see that you’ve gotten away from your stepfamily. I’m sorry for leaving you with them.”

“It’s okay. I’m glad to see that you have your own life. It’s good to see you, James.” She hugged him one last time, walked away, and got back into the carriage.

As they were riding back, she could hear in the far distance a church bell ring. Memories came flooding back. She could remember falling down the stairs and leaving a glass slipper. But at this moment, she could remember that last midnight kiss with James. Such special moments, all at the last and newest hour of the day.

January 05, 2023 18:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.