2 comments

Holiday Mystery

December 23rd


Only for a few days he said. The small box on top was starting to shift on one side but you managed to balance it out. The grocery bags in your other hand were a hindrance on its own. Despite all that you tried to open the door. The keyhole was all scratched out but that unsteady shivering hand finally managed to unlock the damn door. You kick it closed as you enter, a punishment for its disobedience. After all it had been through, maybe it had a right to be?


Only a few more moments and the eyes would’ve adjusted, but you couldn’t wait. There was always something unsettling in the darkness making you feel uneasy. In the corner of your eye you could see someone just standing there and watching. Watching and waiting. It would take some time to remember where the light switch was, but then again blindly frisking the wall turned out to be much faster. No one was there. The kitchen, the bedroom, the bathroom, the terrace, you walked around and made a mental map of the apartment. It was a bit cold, so you turned on the heat. Oh right, the groceries, they were still in the hall. You pulled out a can of beer and sat in the armchair. It was an ugly beige armchair, but you couldn’t deny the comfort. They say you could tell the owners apart by looking at their pets, but you always thought you could tell a lot about the owner just by looking at their furniture. Their tastes, their style, personality.. and this armchair was exactly like its owner. The armchair was facing the window. It was snowing.


December 24th


“..he police has not been able to identify the suspects. There has been an increasing number of reports that peoples homes have been raided by burglars. Witnesses say that..”

The news made you uncomfortable so you turned it off. Only for a few days he said.. The doorbell rang again. It seemed as if your brain didn’t process the first one and you just became aware that it rang twice. That must be Henry, he was early..


You: “Hi Henry.”

Henry: “Hey man.”

Henry: “Jeez, how long does it take to open a door, it’s freezing.“

You: “Sorry, come on in.”

You: “Also please take the shoes off, I don’t want to make mess here.”

Henry: “Sure thing.”


You took his coat and put it on the coat-rack. It seemed too big for his size, you know because you had a similar build and just holding it you could tell it was too big even for you.


You: “Want a beer.”

Henry: “Sure, thanks.”

Henry: “I’m glad you invited me. I have been going through a rough time lately with Sharon and this is just what I need. And I suppose you’d like some company, I don’t want to be..”

You: “You’re not bothering me Henry.”


You cut him off.


You: “It’s just as you say, I feel better having some company. So, what’s going on between you and Sharon?”

Henry: “She just doesn’t understand man. She says I don’t take her out anymore, I don’t talk to her anymore. But you know what she’s the same, when was the last time she did something for me?”

You: “I..”

Henry: “That’s right! I go to work, bring the money, not even a meal after a hard days work is waiting for me and she threatens me with a divorce?? ‘Well why didn’t you eat with that lover of yours’ she says.”

You: “Well a..”

Henry: “You know Nancy from work. That redhead working at the reception. Well she thinks I’m cheating with her. After all I’ve done..

You: “Do you want another beer?”

Henry: “Yeah, that would be great.”

Henry: “I don’t know if you’ve met Nancy, you were always working a different shift from me.”

You: “Yeah, we only met on breaks.”


The snow was really coming down and you both took the time to look out of the window and relax. You could hear a muffled car alarm through the closed window, or was it a siren?


Henry: “I remember, we didn’t really talk much. We were in different work groups so we saw each other only a few times. Why didn’t you come to those seminars, we could’ve hung out there?”

You: “Couldn’t bother. That’s probably why I got fired.”

You: “But about Nancy, yeah I met her. One time she mistook me for you. She wasn’t looking directly at me, once she realized she blushed and started apologizing. It was cute.”


You got up to the kitchen to get a beer for yourself. On your way you took the snacks with you.


Henry: “Did you hear about those break-ins happening all over the neighborhood? It was all over the news. The police have just now found a connection between the houses.”

You: “Took them long enough.”

Henry: “Don’t be so harsh on them, they’re doing the best they can. This is a perfect opportunity for those kinds of people. You know that is why they hire house sitters to keep their home safe.”

You: “I guess you’re right.”


Henry thought he noticed some kind of fear or disgust on your face. Maybe your tone seemed off to him for some reason.


Henry: “Don’t worry man. Nobody’s gonna break in here while there are people inside, while WE are inside, I’ve got your back.”


You didn’t know how to respond to that so you just stayed silent and opened a bag of chips to refill the bowl. You turned on the TV.


“..we have narrowed down where the burglars might strike next, but we can’t disclose that information to the public just yet, we advise..“


December 25th


The Christmas songs were too loud. You couldn’t concentrate. Good thing you had a shopping list, everything you needed was written down. After taking a quick look you resumed pushing the cart. The cleaning supplies seemed too expensive, they always bump up the prices counting on the holiday shopping fever. You always thought it was unfair, not everyone can afford to waste such money. Then again it wasn’t your money.


Her sight was fixated in front of her. Like she was just waiting for that beep after each item, it kept her focused. It was like a snoozed alarm clock, it wakes you up for a moment and you turn it off knowingly procrastinating, waiting for the next one. The name tag said “Sharon”.


“Is that everything sir?”

“Yes.” you replied.


You noticed the bags under her eyes. She has obviously been working double shifts. You pay for your supplies and leave.


It was the hardest part of the job, but you had to do it, you had to get use to it because you were going to be doing it for the next couple of days. You had to clean the apartment. You started washing the dishes. There were only two left, but you couldn’t bother. You could always do it on the last day, but we both know you wouldn’t do that. Left aside, you took out the cleaning cloth and started cleaning the glass on the table. You went to the bedroom seemingly to take the vacuum, but you changed your mind midway and just took the mop. Everything is clean. You made a decent meal and took a well deserved break.


THE SAME DAY


Henry: “You’re not really into the decorations huh. I mean I see some here and there, guess you don’t go overboard with that stuff. I think it’s a good thing, people start putting those reindeer and Santa’s it’s creepy as hell. What should we do today?”

You: “I have cards if you want to play?”

Henry: “Sounds good, haven’t played those since my college days.”


You walk to the shelf to get them.


You: “What would you like to drink?”

Henry: “Coffee please. I think it’s perfect for this weather.”


You nod as a sign that you agree.


Henry: “You wouldn’t believe the day I had. Some guy parked in my space and I took out my phone to take a picture to report his ass. I mean the guy can’t even park that damn car properly. Then this young cop comes up to me and starts asking me questions. Listen to this, he thought I was taking a picture of the house behind, is he blind? I was obviously taking the picture of the car.”


You found that funny, but you held it in. The grin was short and friendly, you didn’t want to offend him.


Henry: “I know! After I explained the situation and another round of weird questions, he just told me to be careful and left. What do they even train them at that Academy?”

You: “'Don’t be so harsh on them, they are doing the best they can.'”


You referenced him from the other day sarcastically as you shuffled the cards.


You presumed you were going to play poker so you set up the cards accordingly. Something was missing. The coffee. You stood up and went to the kitchen. He stood up for a second and sat right back down. He obviously wanted to help with something. Anything. You start opening cupboards. Where was the coffee again? He said something behind you but you didn’t listen. You realize you are out of coffee. You feel the warm breath and the smell of cigarettes down your neck and you twitch. When did he get so close?


You: “Oh no, It seems we are out of coffee.”

Henry: “I can go buy some. Where’s the store? Actually, I saw it on the way here.”

You: “Oh, you don’t have to, you came here to keep me company. I’d feel bad to..”

Henry: “Don’t worry, I insist. You do everything, so I can at least buy some coffee. No big deal.”


You knew “stretching his legs” meant having a smoke along the way. While closing all the cupboards you saw him through the window. Walking down the stairs he waved at some neighbors passing by. You didn’t know them. For the first time Henry seemed to you like a polite person. You smiled and continued closing that final cupboard.


December 26th


You had sand in your eyes. Blurry lights and shadows. The sound of your heartbeat was soothing. You were not a morning person. Did the shadow move? The heartbeat got faster. You were still in the state of consciousness leading out of sleep. You open the eyes unwillingly or out of fear, your hand reached out and turned on the lights. No one was there. You turned it off again, the natural light was more appealing. All that energy a moment ago faded instantly and now dressing up was only going to get even harder..


The routine had now been perfected.


You started from the table. The cards were all over the place. Even coffee stains on some, what a mess. After a sigh you cleaned them one by one. Most of them you put in the playing card box even though some were still scattered, good enough. The cleaning routine proceeded smoothly. You take a quick look at the calendar. Not long now.


Many apartments all next to each other. Henry was walking down the outdoor hallway. One apartment caught his eye. The whole building was in the shape of the letter U. On the opposite side, one floor above, there was an apartment with boxes stacked in front of it. Someone was moving out he guessed.


THE SAME DAY


Henry: “What’s behind this door?”

You: “The bedroom. Could you close it? I don’t like leaving doors half open like that.”


Henry felt the cold air coming from the room as he closed it. You felt it too. The window was open, but that wasn’t your problem anymore, not like you're going to sleep there anymore.


You: “I’ll be right back. I forgot something in the car. Can you watch the place while I go get it?”

Henry: “The snow is really coming down today. Be careful.”


You took the jacket from the coat-rack. You were about to open the door when you remembered to get the gloves. All set. The heavy door slowly closed behind you.


Surely an hour had passed. Where was he? Henry couldn’t hold it in anymore. He knew you warned him not to smoke inside, but what was he supposed to do? He cracked the terrace door, the cold wasn’t that bad. Hopefully the smell will get out before you come back. The anxiety was getting to him, what if he notices? He vaguely heard the deafened sound of keys through the door. Nothing to do about it now, so Henry went to answer the door.


“Who are you? What are you doing in my House?”


December 27th


“..he man responsible for the series of break-ins has finally been caught by the police. The suspect had an unusual method of burglaring which is why he wasn’t easy to get caught explains the police. He actually lived in the victims homes?!

The suspect claims that he didn't do it, that it was someone else, the police are skeptical as they did not find anyone by that name. Records show no history of a mental illness, but they can't rule that out just yet.

Experts are still trying to determine whether he had a key, from the scratches on the lock it's still early to say. Witnesses saw him enter and leave the place, the neighbors just thought he was a local resident.

The suspect's wife claims she saw him during her shift buying cleaning supplies which was as she says 'unusual for him'. They were on bad terms and about to be divorced which would maybe explain his uncanny behaviour.

The forensics team found fingerprints linking the suspect to the scene of the crime. Some partial prints were discovered on the bedroom door and cards found on the table, fortunately he left behind few glasses and a mug he drank from.

From some unofficial sources we found out he was even a suspect at one point, but was dropped due to lack of evidence. The young officer claims.."


As Henry was being taken away from the apartment, he looked at the apartment on the opposite side. He saw you just watching there from the ajar door. There weren’t any boxes now. You glance at him and slowly close the door.

December 28, 2019 04:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

18:28 Feb 09, 2021

This story was so good oh my gourd

Reply

August Palewood
21:48 May 14, 2022

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.