7 comments

Fiction Friendship Teens & Young Adult

"Are you coming tonight?" Justine sighed. "Of course. I even have a costume that I wont feel ridiculous wearing." Faith laughed at the resigned tone in her friend's voice. "Cool, just making sure. Pick me up in about half an hour? Wouldn't do to show up at Lesley's place too early." "Fine."


Justine pressed end call on her phone and glanced in the hallway mirror. The pale makeup made her blue eyes stand out. She buttoned up the peacock blue waistcoat and tucked in her crisp white shirt. Then she put on the matching jacket. Her blonde wig only needed a small adjustment. She had yet to pop in the fang teeth.

**********

They parked somewhere further down the street from Lesley's house, since most of the 'parking spaces' were full. Faith hopped out of the passenger seat and straightened her wings. Her fairy dress was clingy in all the right places and came to just above her knees.


She had chosen to wear with it, sparkly tights and chunky boots. Silver shadowed eyes and pink rose lips completed the outfit. Justine followed behind her friend, trying to project a confidence that she did not feel.


Her cousin Lesley answered the door herself, dressed as a clown. "Hey guys. Glad you could make it. Come on in." She had really gone all out with the spooky decorations; everywhere you looked there were cobwebs, bats, pumpkins, black and orange streamers, dark tablecloths and ghoulish figurines. It was all surrounded by a low light setting.


The dining table was covered with Halloween goodies. Music was playing, but not at such loud volume that you couldn't hear yourself speak. The girls managed to weave their way through the dancing crowd. Faith got hold of two cups, handing one to her friend.


Justine headed for the kitchen immediately, to dilute the drink with some Coca Cola. She ignored a couple who were totally wrapped up in each other. Parties really were not her thing; getting wasted and making out with a boyfriend or total stranger, held no appeal for her. She was an awkward dancer at the best of times.


Justine was also not the type of girl to start talking to someone at random. She preferred to be in a corner, watching from a distance. So, she found a place to sit that nobody had claimed or vomited on. Justine could see a group watching two other people play ping pong. The dart board was getting some good use. There were was also a limbo pole being set up.


A song came on that she didn't mind. She was humming along softly. "Vampire, I presume?" She looked up into a face half hidden by a devil's mask. His eyes were a bright green. She didn't know who he was, but he also had a mischeivious smile that showed dimples, which she couldn't help liking.


"Correct." "I'm Devon." "Justine." They shook hands. He sat down next to her. She felt her face warming up and was grateful that the makeup she'd applied was hiding her blush. "You seem uncomfortable." So he had noticed her lean slightly away from him. "I don't like being around large groups. I am also on edge with people I don't know."


Devon took a sip of his drink, nodding. "My brother Wade is very much the same. I tried and failed to get him to come with me tonight." Justine pointed to Faith, who was having a blast. "See that little fairy in the middle of those dancers? She and my cousin are best friends, so I know her pretty well too. Later on, I will probably be dragging her back to the car." "Designated driver?" "Yep. " "Then perhaps I shouldn't try to get you drunk." "Wise move."


***********

The two of them began talking a bit more. His easygoing manner helped her nerves to settle. They had some things in common, which really moved the conversation along. At about one thirty in the morning, her cousin stumbled across them. Holding Lesley upright, was Charlie. He'd gone for the zombie pirate look. "I think this might be a good time for everyone to leave. She needs to lay down."


Lesley shoved her boyfriend, staggering a little. "I am fine." Charlie laughed but kept hold of her. "Sure you are." Justine thought that home sounded like a great idea. She scanned the crowd closely, frowning when she couldn't spot Faith. "Excuse me a moment."


Justine knew she shouldn't be worried; her friend could take care of herself, tipsy or not. She had a mean right hook. But the sudden queasiness in Justine's stomach, told her that something didn't feel right. Charlie placed his girlfriend safely on the bed in her room, which was on the ground level. He shut the door behind him.


Devon and another guy named Kirk, then helped him to empty out the house. Some of the guests complained, but that wasn't the boys' problem. Lesley had warned everyone that upstairs was a no go zone for the party people. But maybe not all of them listened to her. Sure enough, there were a few entangled bodies on the staircase itself.


Justine left them for the others to deal with. Devon appeared beside her. "Are you okay?" "Seen Faith anywhere?" "No." Following her instincts, she led them both towards the only closed door on the upper level. Devon moved to open it as quietly as possible. Three strangers, partially undressed, were hovering around someone else who had passed out.


It was Faith. They must have carried her up here. Justine screamed, catching the guys off guard. Devon's expression and the tightening of his fists, had them backing up real quick. Charlie and Kirk came in, summing up the situation with the breifest of glances.


While the boys manhandled Faith's would be attackers out of the room, Justine went into the ensuite and dampened a washcloth. She carefully wiped it over her friend's face, calling her name. The girl's eyelids fluttered, then she shot up fast as can be. Her panic eased when Justine's face became clearer to her.


"What in the hell happened to me? Last thing I recall I was dancing up a storm." Faith saw tears glimmer in Justine's eyes. Something bad had nearly happened and judging from the state of her clothes, she guessed all too easily what it was. Her head felt kind of fuzzy, but she needed no help in getting to her feet.


"I don't remember taking off my shoes." Her friend handed them to her. "We should go. Can you walk?" Faith stood tall, walking in a perfectly straight line without falter. "I'm alright." She welcomed the hug Justine gave her and also the fact that she never let go of her hand.


Charlie and Devon waited to say goodnight, looking concerned for her. Faith assured them that she was fine. "Thanks for coming to my rescue." She noticed Justine's shy smile when the guy wearing the devil's mask asked for her number and got it. She wondered what else she might have missed out on. This particular drive home was going to be interesting to say the least....


THE END


July 25, 2021 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

7 comments

Melody Frost
04:14 Aug 02, 2021

I enjoyed reading this story. Nice work!

Reply

Kylie Wallis
00:57 Aug 03, 2021

Thanks.

Reply

Melody Frost
01:07 Aug 03, 2021

Your welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maria M
06:49 Sep 03, 2021

Nice story, its real happy to have a good friend/

Reply

Kylie Wallis
07:13 Sep 03, 2021

It is and thank you for the compliment on my story. :).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
MJ Cummings
03:57 Aug 01, 2021

I loved the Halloween theme in July! It's my favorite holiday. I can definitely relate to not liking large crowds.

Reply

Kylie Wallis
04:57 Aug 01, 2021

Yeah, crowds have never really been my thing either. I only have a vague idea of what could happen at any kind of party. Not all experiences are fun or good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.