0 comments

Fiction

Quinn was promoted to assistant store manager, but what did it matter? When she began payroll, she placed her ice coffee on the desk and sighed. After the computer had booted, she ate a piece of her bagel. It was a refurbished computer from the '80s that was in desperate need of an upgrade. A new laptop from BestBuy would be less expensive than keeping up with repairs. Despite all her attempts to convince the owner, she hadn't given up. The timesheets for the week were pulled out while she waited. The owner was committed to their ways. The owner was going to be pissed that someone went over forty hours. Quinn, however, had her own problems to deal with.

August and Riley, her sister's best friend, had been missing for a few days. They were having a horrible summer, well when one messes with a ghost with almighty powers, what did they think would happen? Let's face it, River was her old summer hood childhood crush. Because of her need to tempt fate, she saw life through his lens. She cursed him to see only darkness in life, but his eyes saw only good. It drove her crazy.

Computer screens blared welcome messages. She struggled to get the program to open. While sipping on coffee, she launched a browser in order to send an email with powerful language.

July 25, 1989

Dear Future Quinn?

I am happy to announce that Riley and I have sorted out the mess. We've returned to our original form. I feel great; I don't think I can deal with another girl pinching at my ass. Riley's been quiet.

"Quinn, are the checks ready?" her staff member asked. "After five, like always." she called back. On their way out, they said, "See you later." as the bell rang.

Okay, here's the bad news. The crazy ghost lady is holding us hostage in the 80's. You know Riley's not smart and warned her she was going to be cheated on. So now she thinks we're here to ruin her happiness. If you get this email, you might need to talk to River, who comes from a long line of mediums. I thought her previous form of torture was worst but she was attempting to stab with me knives previously. Chains seem out of place here.

Help

August

She dialed River's phone number from her office phone. He was just about to reply, "Today's Specials are...". "No one cares, you need to get to my shop now." She said. "No, I don't because of you, I'm stabbing my eyes with contact lenses because someone broke the glasses, I needed in a rage." he said. "August and Riley emailed from the 80s," she said as she spilled her coffee on the computer as it short circuit. "Shit," she muttered as the light faded in the office. "Fine, I'm coming. Boss, I'm taking a fifteen," he said.

*****

"That computer isn't going to work," Riley said, feeling his wrist blister as August crawled, dragging him. "I've got to try something or Elizabeth there's going to torture us till we're dead," she replied as she stood up. Riley clutched his wrist, annoyed they were handcuffed. Elizabeth was a smart one; she knew that if they were handcuffed, any noise they made would be heard. "What a time it is to be us again!" he grumbled, rolling his eyes.

"I think it would have been worse for the two desirable people to say that your husband is cheating on you, probably resulting in a shooting," she replied as she figured out how to boot up the computer, her leg twitching. Riley's eyes focused on the doorknob. Elizabeth barely silted his wrist open. There was a screech from the computer. Despite the great odds, she wanted to type up an email hoping it would reach her sister, even if it took a long time. So much for a quiet, relaxing summer. "Does this seem like a poor time to tell you I love you?" he asked. "Extremely bad, considering we're going to die," she said.

While he held her chin, he stared into her eyes; she remained silent while he leaned in. Sparks flew between their lips, they pulled apart. "Okay, can we discuss this later?" she asked. He held her free hand, and he nodded. "Even if you somehow get in touch with Quinn, what can she do?" he asked. She replied as tears dripped from her eyes, feeling that this was mostly her fault. "Tell River we need help. He doesn't know I know he's a medium." She said as tears dripped from her eyes. "We either get out or die together," he said.

*****

Sitting at her desk, she asked, "Are you a medium?" Riley grabbed the back of his neck before he shrugged and nodded. As she went over her payroll by hand, she asked, "So old ghost tormenting Riley and August in the 80s. Any idea how we can stop that?"

 He said, "Um, I don't want to do that." "It's my sister." She said, looking up from her paper, she flung the pen at him. "Well, the world sucks, so why shouldn't it suck for everyone." He said. She stood up and pushed him. "I want to, but your vision is blinding me." he said. She became quiet. She knew she was never optimistic, but she sure could use guidance on undoing the damage over the years. After all, her sister deserved better. She had tried to talk her out of the shitty things she did over the year, and now it was her turn to actually help.

“Teach me how to find ghosts,” she said. “It’s dangerous for you because you're not used to it.” he said as he stood in the doorway. “I don’t care. My sister has been nothing but nice. Yet I always treated her like shit.” she said. He stood in the doorway with his arms crossed. “It'll cost you,” he said. "I got free.95," she chuckled.

September 01, 2021 03:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.