A Picture-Perfect Day

Written in response to: Begin or end your story with a character taking a selfie.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction

A Picture-Perfect Day

Holly Wright awaken with a stretch and yawn from her bed. Her poodle Monty danced alongside her bed waging his furry white tag. The sun shined brightly against the walls of her bedroom.

“Good morning,” says Holly.

“Woof!” says Monty.

Holly gets up out of her bed and grabs her robe from a chair inside her bedroom. She pulls back the curtains and looks out her window. Holly could hear the sweet bird songs from outside her window. There's a sense of peace and tranquility in the air. Holly goes into her kitchen and starts a pot of coffee. She turns on the radio and listen to Chopper Dave as he tells the forecast of the weather from the WZRK helicopter. Monty goes over to the front door and scratches it with his two paws.

“You want to go outside?” asks Holly.

She lifts the key chain on the front door and unlocks it. Monty runs past her quickly. His tail wagging as he runs behind one of the bushes near her lawn. The moisture from the morning dew covered the ground. The air smelled fresh of sweet Jasmine blossoms. There was a gentle breeze stirring all around. It gave Holly goosebumps all over her skin. She was wearing her Snoopy pajamas, slippers and a silk robe she got as a Christmas gift from her sister Tammy.

“Come on Monty,” said Holly.

Monty scampered from behind the bush exploring the yard before he went inside. The weather was so lovely that Holly decided to take Monty to Grover's Dog Walking Park.

Monty wagged his tail in anticipation as he and Holly drove into the park. The entrance of the park was aligned with vibrant pink dogwood trees. The park was abuzz with activity. Dogs of all shapes and sizes frolicked in the open grassy expanse. Their barks and playful yips created a symphony of joy. Monty, with his ivory fur catching the sunlight, led the way. His leash dangled loosely from Holly's hand, a mere formality in this haven of unleashed freedom. She followed the winding path, bordered by wildflowers and wooden benches. Monty’s nose twitched as he caught whiffs of other dogs’ scents—tales of squirrel chases, muddy puddles, and secret squirrel societies. His tail swished like a metronome, keeping time with his curiosity. At the heart of the park stood the Great Oak, its gnarled branches stretching toward the sky. Legend had it that this ancient tree held the secrets of countless canine adventures. Monty circled it, sniffing each crevice as if deciphering its bark-bound messages. Holly encountered fellow dog enthusiasts along the way. There was Mrs. Thompson, a sprightly octogenarian with a tiny Chihuahua named Pepper. She regaled Holly with tales of Pepper’s escapades—a squirrel chase that led them to the ice cream truck and a daring escape from a bubble bath. Next, she met Max, a burly Rottweiler with a heart of gold. Max loved playing fetch, and his owner, Mr. Rodrigez, threw the ball with the precision of a quarterback. Monty joined in, racing after the tennis ball like an ivory comet. His enthusiasm was contagious, and soon, a canine relay race ensued. As the sun climbed higher, they reached the Splash Zone—a shallow stream where dogs splashed and waded. Monty leaped in, his paws creating ripples. He shook off water like a miniature waterfall, drenching Holly in the process. Laughter echoed as other dog parents shared in her soggy fate.

Another adventure culminated at the Bark Cafe, a charming wooden kiosk where dogs and humans alike could refuel. Monty devoured a peanut butter treat, while Holly sipped a latte. The cafe owner, Emma, chatted about her dream of opening a dog-friendly bakery. Monty wagged his approval, as if casting a vote for bacon-flavored cupcakes.

As the day drew to a close, Monty and Holly sat on a bench overlooking the park. The sun painted the sky in hues of orange and pink. Monty rested his head on Holly's lap, his eyes reflecting contentment. We had shared laughter, made new friends, and woven our own chapter into the park’s tapestry.

And so, in the golden twilight, I realized that the true magic of the Grover's Dog Walking Park lay not in its grassy fields or shady nooks, but in the bonds forged between wagging tails and smiling faces. It was a place where stories unfolded—one paw print at a time.

People began to pack up their belongs and their pets and leave the park. Holly decided to let Monty play a little bit longer by himself. She sat at a park bench and took out her cell phone. She began scrolling down at her messages. One of the messages was sent by her boss lady Mrs. White. She wanted Holly to send in some last minutes paperwork for a project they were working on.

“Not today,” said Holly.

She sat watching as the rest of the people drove off from the park. Monty still running and playing had found an old tee branch pulling and tugging it playfully. He cafe owner Emma came over and sat next to her.

“He's enjoying himself,” says Emma.

“He plays better along,” says Holly. “He'll rest well tonight.”

The ladies continue to chat until Emma husband comes to pick her up from the park. As the sunsets on her and Monty's delightful day at the park, Holly kneels down next to Monty. She leans in with her cell phone and takes a selfie with Monty. She snaps the picture hash tagging it a picture-perfect day.

“Let's go boy,” says Holly.

Monty sees a squirrel and begins chasing it until it runs up a tree. He takes a few sips of water from a doggy fountain before they leave the park. The light around the park looks serene in the darkness. Holly unlocks her door and Monty jumps inside. She lets down the passenger's side window. Monty sticks his head out of the window.

“Did you have fun?” Holly asks.

“Woof!” says Monty.

The two of them drive away heading home. Monty jumps onto the back seat and curl up in a ball. He places his paws over his face and goes to sleep.

April 03, 2024 14:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.