1 comment

Christian Romance

In the center of the busy city, with the brilliant lights of December casting a joyful glow on otherwise congested streets, Chris Bennett realized he was out of step with the rest of the world. The whole Christmas season, with its boundless happiness and an endless supply of Christmas music, seemed to him like a grand theatrical production in which he had no role.

Chris was able to benefit from the freedom that comes with being a software developer who works remotely. This made it possible for him to travel to warmer, quieter places in December. This year, he decided to take his vacation in Mexico to a virtually empty beach, far from the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season.

There was a familiar feeling of relief that Chris felt as he packed his bags in his small apartment. He thought that the best way to be happy was to read a book and sunbathe on a sunny beach, far from the bustle of holiday shopping and the sounds of Christmas carols.

His phone rang, breaking the silence in his apartment. The image on the television was of his older sister, Annie, with her name flashing next to a picture of her and her two kids, all of whom were wearing matching Christmas sweaters.

With a lighthearted greeting, "Hey, Annie," Chris got ready for the yearly conversation.

"Chris, you're not skipping Christmas again, are you?" Annie's voice was a mixture of scorn and fury.

Annie, this is a calculated backward move. "You know I can't stand the holiday madness," Chris reportedly remarked while neatly folding a shirt and packing it in his luggage.

Annie sighed, her voice growing hushed. "I sincerely hope that one year you'll celebrate Christmas with us. For the kids, having their uncle here would be fantastic." Sure, I am conscious of that. Chris acknowledged that it was a promise he had previously made, but he said, "Perhaps next year."

While they were chatting, Chris spotted the first few languid snowflakes falling from the sky outside his window. He didn't really think about it until he eventually ended the call and checked his phone for the weather alert. He received an alert informing him that a significant snowstorm was headed straight for the city.

The snowstorm that had been so lovely had transformed into a severe blizzard in a matter of hours. Chris watched with astonishment as his carefully thought-out plans came apart. The metropolis was reduced to a blank canvas of white and gray due to the cancellation of flights and the closing of roadways. Chris was stuck at the exact place he'd usually tried to run away from over the holidays, not for the first time in years.

The environment had grown quiet and muted by the time Chris woke up the next day. The city, usually a hive of activity, was as still as a ghost town beneath the thick layer of snow. Even though he didn't want to, he bundled up and went with his neighbors to try and clean up the sidewalks as part of the community project.

Mrs. Henderson, a vivacious woman in her seventies who resided in the apartment next to his, was one of the group's members. She was getting on in years, but she managed to use her snow shovel very easily.

Mrs. Henderson said, "You're not half bad at this, Chris," and there was a sparkle in her eye. "Why do you always disappear during the holidays?"

Chris shrugged his shoulders, not one to waste time in idle conversation with his peers. "I've never been much for celebrations."

"Well, maybe this year you'll see what you've been missing," she replied in a happy tone, even though it was bitterly cold outside.

Chris went to his usual coffee shop later that day in hopes of finding some milder weather. The sound of conversation mixed with the aromas of coffee and cinnamon created a cozy and welcoming ambiance. He was so wrapped up in his own thoughts while standing in line that he didn't notice the woman in front of him stepping back to fetch a napkin. They crashed into each other, sending her coffee spilling onto the ground.

"I am so sorry," Chris yelled, reaching for napkins to help mop up the mess that had just happened.

The woman, in her late twenties, ignored his apology with a simple wave of her hand and expressive eyes. It's not at all problematic. I can now justify getting another peppermint mocha because of this.

He held out a hand that was just a little bit wet and said his name was Chris.

"Emily" was her response, and she shook hands with him. "At the primary school closest to me, I work as a teacher. We are now rehearsing the Christmas performance in rehearsal. There is a great deal of confusion, but in the most wonderful way possible."

They talked among themselves inanely while they waited for Emily's new coffee. Her warmth and the sincere smile that lit up her face whenever she spoke about her children and the show surprised Chris. It was a rare occasion in his frequently lonely life to laugh with her, so he was taken aback.

In the days that followed, it seemed as though Chris's contacts with Emily were more the product of a series of fortunate events than of pure coincidence. They encountered each other in the post office, the neighborhood grocery shop, and the ice skating rink, where Emily's elegant performance of the sport contrasted sharply with Chris's clumsy attempts.

Emily held his hand and gave him encouragement as they made a circle around the rink. "You're improving at this," she remarked.

Chris said, "Only because I have a patient teacher," as his early worries about the holidays started to fade.

Chris started talking candidly about how much he detested the holidays, while Emily began talking animatedly about how much she loved them. The length of their talks kept growing, as did the depth of their discussions. He started to look forward to their interactions, expecting her infectious laugh and beaming smile. He was excited about their upcoming meetings.

On Christmas Eve, Chris unexpectedly found himself in the center of the town's holiday festivities—a place he would never have predicted for himself. The room was lit up not only with vibrant colors but also with the sound of carol singers singing.

While they watched some kids singing Christmas carols, Emily turned her focus to Chris. "You seem different, happier."

Chris glanced around at everyone's beaming smiles before returning his focus to Emily. I think I am. You have shown me a side of Christmas that I had never allowed myself to perceive.

But as the evening wore on, Chris's recently found excitement for the occasion was tested. A miscommunication between him and Emily led to a misunderstanding, and as a result, he felt the usual want to pull back, to run away from all that was happening.

The events of the last several weeks replayed themselves in his mind as he lay in bed that particular evening. At this moment, he thought back to the warmth and laughter he had shared with Emily, the sense of community he had felt with his neighbors, and the way the holidays seemed to unite people.

Equipped with a fresh resolve, Chris made the extra effort to locate Emily on Christmas Day. When he found her in the park, her eyes were bright with the cheer of the holidays, and her cheeks were flushed with the cold.

Giving her a tiny, neatly wrapped gift, Chris said, "I've been a fool about a lot of things," opening his mouth to admit it. "Especially about Christmas... and about us."

Emily discovered a gorgeous snowflake ornament when she unwrapped the gift. Her smile got bigger. Chris, that really is amazing. You have my gratitude."

"I want to make new traditions," Chris said again, his voice more composed than he felt it would soon become. "With you."

He only needed her grin to know that she understood. The landscape around them changed fundamentally as they walked hand in hand through the snow-covered park. Though the snow had previously symbolized his imprisonment, it now provided a backdrop for their fresh start.

Chris and Emily would remember that snowy Christmas as the start of their own extraordinary tradition, one that would grow over the years. It was an example of the unexpected paths that both life and love can follow, and it was a helpful reminder that sometimes the best moments happen when you least expect them.

Talking as easily as the snowflakes falling all around them, Chris and Emily strolled across the park coated in snow. Throughout the holidays, Chris found himself narrating stories from his early years, including his early love of computers and the reasons he declined to participate in the celebrations.

"I guess I've always seen Christmas as a time of pretense rather than genuine happiness," Chris said while he observed a family building a snowman on the side of the road. "But this year, being stuck here, meeting you... it's made me see things differently."

Emily listened, her eyes showing a mix of curiosity about what was being said and comprehension. Christmas has always held a special place in my heart, but I can definitely see how it may get overwhelming! For me, it's all about the little things—the customs that act as a continual reminder of our values and identity.

They stopped talking as joyful laughter pierced through their conversation. A number of Emily's classmates approached her, all of them beaming with excitement about getting to meet their own teacher.

"Miss Emily!" they exclaimed together as they crowded around her.

It was heartwarming to see Emily's interactions with the children. As she listened to them, Chris noticed that she was genuinely interested in each of them, and her words were full of love and care that made each child feel like they were the only one.

As the kids bolted off to carry on playing, Emily returned her focus to Chris, a small smile spreading over her lips. The students are getting ready for the virtual Christmas concert that will take place at our school. It is a significant event that takes place annually.

Chris felt to himself that the concert would be a perfect chance to show Emily just how much her influence had changed his outlook on the holidays. Would it be acceptable if I helped you arrange the technology for your concert? Aside from my terrible voice for carol singing, I'm pretty good at using computers and recording equipment.

Emily was beaming with anticipation. Chris, that would be a fantastic result! The kids would be ecstatic, and to be completely honest, I could use the help myself.

There was a frenzy of activity in the days leading up to the event. Chris was, as it turned out, closely involved in the planning, collaborating with Emily and the other individuals working with her. He realized more and more, throughout the time they had spent together, how much she had come to mean to him.

A magical process transformed the school's gymnasium into a joyful celebration on the night of the concert. As Emily guided the children through their performance, Chris observed from the sidelines as her voice blended with theirs to create a joyful symphony that filled the room. Chris watched from the sidelines.

Emily turned to face Chris during the moment when they were packing things after the concert, her eyes shining brightly. "Chris, you were amazing tonight. I am very grateful for what you have done."

Chris was feeling something new and energizing in his heart as he inhaled deeply. It was warmth. "Emily, I have something I need to tell you."

Emily was waiting with a look of curiosity mixed with anticipation on her face.

With butterflies in his stomach, Chris said calmly, "I didn't just help with the concert because I'm good with technology," at the beginning of his remark. "I did it because... because I wanted to be a part of something that meant so much to you," she explained. You are really essential to me, to be honest. "More than I ever imagined was possible in such a short period of time."

Emily smiled like a ray of sunshine peeking through the clouds, even with the gray winter skies. "Chris, I..."

Before she could finish her remarks, the whirlwind of congratulations and goodbyes overshadowed the moment. A group of parents came up to her to thank her for the music.

Despite the hectic schedule of holiday preparations that followed, Chris and Emily were still able to spend some time together. They baked cookies, wrapped gifts, and told stories about their best childhood Christmas memories during the festive season.

They thought they had come to the right place at the right time, as they were standing together in the town square on Christmas Eve, listening to the kids sing carols. Chris turned to face Emily, the Christmas tree's shimmering lights flashing in his eyes.

He hardly raised his voice above a whisper. "Emily, I was wondering about the concert that took place the other night," he said. I really did mean it when I said it. I've never felt this way about other individuals before.

Emily responded by giving him a gentle squeeze of his hand, and the same sensation filled her eyes as it did his. I feel exactly the same way, Chris. You have made such a huge difference in my life over the last three weeks.

When the clock struck midnight on Christmas Day, they planted a kiss beneath the wintry winter sky. This kiss was a promise of the numerous Christmases they would spend together in the future.

Chris and Emily would remember that snowy Christmas as the start of their own extraordinary tradition, one that would grow over the years. It was an example of the unexpected paths that both life and love can follow, and it was a helpful reminder that sometimes the best moments happen when you least expect them.

December 02, 2023 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Tricia Shulist
13:49 Dec 09, 2023

Aww, a modern day Grinch story, with Emily as Little Cindy Who, and Chris as the Grinch whose heart grows three sizes because of Emily. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.