1 comment

Fiction Suspense Drama

This story contains sensitive content

“CLEAR!” 

All he could hear in the dead of night is paramedics and EMTs rush to the scene. 

“CLEAR!” 

He never seen this coming. 

“Still no pause!” 

It hit him like a freight train. 

“Charge at 150!” one yelled directing orders to the others. Then the sound of another electric current shock pierced his ears. This wasn’t supposed to happen. This can’t be happening. He thought to himself as he sat off to the side on the curb. He had his face in his hand. 

“This can’t be happening” he muttered. 

This was supposed to be a happy get together. A nice evening filled with laughter and dancing mixed with witty chatter. And to top it all off, a quiet moonlight rendezvous at his special lookout spot away from the world in hopes of ending the night on a joyous occasion. But it seems the universe had other plans. What was once gone to be his proudest moment turn into his worst nightmare. As he watches hopelessly in his all-black tux painted in red spots and tears as the love of his life fights for hers. This is all his fault. Why didn’t he just plan a nice candle light dinner at his place? Something so simple. She always enjoyed the little things. But he thought it was a good idea to go the extra mile, exaggerate the entire thing wanting to go off in a grand finale. Anything for her. But this is not what he had in mind.  

So, this how he repays her? The last four years gone up in flames right into front of him. He let out a gust of air he didn’t realize he was holding. Heart rate was doing 360s, it’s a miracle he even sitting here. Why is he though? Why did the universe choose her over him? If anyone deserves this fate, he would gladly volunteer in a heartbeat. He would do anything to press restart.  

Restart to earlier today, his alarm bouncing off the walls of his room. He turns over in bed guiding his hand to the snooze button. Stretch his arms in the air letting a long-exhausted yawn. Feet planted on carpet flooring then he pushes himself up to start his morning routine. He walks towards the bathroom; use the toilet, turn on the shower, and quickly brushes his teeth. When the shower is nice and hot, he enters; grabs the soap then loather his body and hair really well before exiting after fifteen-twenty minutes. He already had his clothes out for today. He quickly got dressed reminding himself of today’s errands until he heard his cell phone buzz on the side table. Picking it up and smiled to himself. He pressed the green phone. 

“Hey babe, what’s up?” 

“Hey love, just calling to see if you were up” he could hear the smile in her voice. 

“Yeah, I just woke up about to head out for the day” 

“Where you heading?” 

He scoffed “Nosy much?” she smacked her lips “Boy whatever”. 

He chuckled into the speaker “Nah, I’m just kidding but I need to go to drop some things off by my mom’s before heading to the mall” he voiced. “Oh okay.... we still on for tonight” she mentions softly he knew it was more of a statement than a question. “Yeah, unless you have other plans” she giggled rolling her eyes not that he could see “No never, I’m looking forward to it”. 

It made his heart skip a beat knowing she was as excited as he was. “That’s good to hear, can’t wait to see the look on your face when you see all I had planned”.  

“You sure, I can’t get a little hint” 

“No then it’ll ruin the surprise” 

“Not for me” 

“Girl, get off my phone” he laughed to himself but he could hear her laughing as well. God it’s the sweetest sound in the world. 

“You can’t blame a girl for trying. Fine, I’ll let you get back to it. Love you baby see you later” she allured. 

“Bye babe, I love you too” 

She made kissing noises over the speaker until he heard the line end. He placed his phone into his pocket then grabbed his keys and whatever else he needs rushing out the house to his car. He drove down to his parents' church for a care package they were giving to all the members of church. He pulled into the driveway. Grab the box from the backseat and walked towards the house where his mom was standing in the doorway. They shared a quick chat before giving her a kiss on the cheeks onward to his next order of business. The mall was packed as usual on the weekend but he shouldn’t be more than fifteen minutes tops. First, he went to the Gentlemen store to pick up his tux. They had it at the register hung and ready for him. After confirming his order, the teller hand him the garment bag. He smiles, wished him a great day and then he was marching down to the candy shop for her favorite chocolates. Next, Macy’s and lastly the jewelry store. 

Checked the time on his phone to see he still had 3 and half hours left to spare. He grabbed something small to eat and continue to prep for the evening. The next time he checked his phone it was twenty-five minutes before they needed to be at the restaurant. He double checked his appearance in the mirror, grab the gifts off the counter, and sent her a text that he was on his way. It was not even five minutes when she walked out her house into the passenger seat. He knows he's racing the clock but he had to take a second to look her over. She had on a long emerald fitted evening dress with light makeup. He forgot to breathe. 

“You like what you see?” she smirked, placing her hand on his cheek.  

“As a matter of fact, I do” he kissed her palm then left a quick peck on her glossed lips. They pulled up to the restaurant without a second to spare. The concierge guided them to one of their private tables in the back marked his name on it. He pulled out her seat before sitting across from her.  

“This place is gorgeous; I can’t believe you managed to get a reservation consider how booked they always are” she said taking a sip of her water. 

“Never underestimate a man on a mission. I remember you saying you wanted to go here ever since it was open. And viola” he took her hold of her hand smoothing her knuckles with his thumb.  

“Aww baby” she bought his hand to her lips “I don’t deserve you”  

“Funny, I swear that was my line” they laughed and vibe off each other energy. He noticed the music turned to smooth jazz. “Care to dance” he said already standing up. “I’d love to” Pushing forward into his chest, wrapping her arms around his neck while his hands rest upon her waist. They danced for a bit until the food arrive. Small chatters, a few drinks of champagne later; he slides over all the gifts he bought her minus one. Her face light up like a Christmas tree and nearly cried on the spot. 

“Excuse me sir, is everything all right?” 

He heard someone say off to his side. He turned his head towards the voice but he was met with a horrifying image. There stood the waiter with blood stain face. “Can you hear me sir?” 

What’s going on? He stared at him idly. Until he felt her hand squeeze his. He looks at her. 

“Is everything okay?” she said with the same extract blood stain face but now they were in his car. Her head was facing towards him. Her dress was ripped and blood was dripping on side of her mouth. 

No. He thought. Then all sudden a bright light outlined her silhouette from behind then everything went black.  

“Please sir, you need to talk to me” 

He removed his face out of his hands. Where was he? Oh right, he almost forgot reality. There he was once again, hearing loud sirens; glass filled road; two cars totaled, and her nearly on death's doorstep. The officer in front of him lowered to his level. “Sir, my name is Office Wally, I’m just checking to see if you are, okay? Any injuries?”

He stared at him but no words came out. 

The officer sighed. “I know this is hard for you. And you are in your rights to take all the time you need but we do need a quick rundown of what took place please” 

He ignored him once again. His hand slowly reached into his pocket and pulled out a small red box. 

He could feel tears form in his eyes but didn’t dare let them fall. He opened it. 

There laid a diamond ring.     

June 19, 2023 01:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rabab Zaidi
10:43 Jun 25, 2023

Sad.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.