Where did it all go wrong?

Submitted into Contest #98 in response to: Write about someone who’s desperately trying to change their luck.... view prompt

1 comment

Crime Drama Friendship

From time to time, everyone needs that bit of luck, whether it be just to have a day out without it raining or the car getting through the MOT, to more serious situations like seeing a loved one get through a difficult situation. But what happens when everyone around you seems to be having all your share of that luck, the good luck and you have a dumpster full of the bad type. 


Well such a thing seems to be happening to Reese. You would not believe what she went through. 


It's now Thursday night, so I will take you back to the beginning...Tuesday night. Yes, only two days prior. 


However, things began to go wrong and events unfold the morning after. 


It was Wednesday 8am and she was already running late. Reese had just got out of the shower, a cold one as the boiler was on the blink.


She got dressed and ready for work despite being chilly. Oh and it is a frosty morning too, so timing couldn't be better for the shower to go bust. Reese picked up her bag and keys and left the house. All the while, quietly asking the higher powers for nothing else to go wrong. 


Just as she stepped on the path outside her gate, she found a brand new shiny penny. Of course this brings luck, supposedly. Find a penny... So the cliche goes. And so she bent down to pick it up. Couldn't do any harm, or could it? 


Well as it turns out, yes it could! It was stuck to the icy pavement, so as she tried to pick it up, it wouldn't move and then she slipped on the ice and banged her head. But just then a black cat crossed her path. Another sign of luck, maybe it won't be so bad after all. 


So up she got and dusted herself off, mainly from ice shavings and thought everything would be fine. But she forgot about the rule of 'everything comes in threes.'


Reese walked over to her car and got inside, turned on the engine and let out a sigh of relief. At least the car works. Phew! 


So off she set on the usual route to work. Now surely from what you know so far, you would expect there would be more unfortunate events to come and you're not wrong. 


Ten minutes in to the journey, there was a cavalcade of emergency vehicles zooming past her. The police, ambulance, fire brigade, all rushing by, so of course all the traffic ahead was pulling to one side. There was a delay of ten minutes before she got moving again but it did get moving so she thought it would plain sailing from here on in. 


A few minutes later she remembered that a couple of years ago, her mum had given her a St Christopher charm to ward off danger on her travels. Reese wasn't necessarily a believer of such things but given the day's events so far she thought she would dig it out of the glove compartment and put it on display. Maybe having three, so-called, good signs, would counteract all the bad things. Three of each surely would balance out the day ahead. 


However, just as Reese was about to turn on to the road where she worked, she saw that it had been blocked off. All those emergency vehicles were there. Obviously, there had been a major incident nearby. The police were approaching all the cars waiting to turn into the road. 


Officer Jones was moving through the line of cars waiting in traffic and arrived at Reese's car. He signalled to her to wind down the window. 


"What on earth has happened officer? Reese asked nervously. 


"Frogprint have had a bomb threat reported and the whole area is being evacuated, so we will be co-ordinating the traffic away from the area in the next few minutes. Please sit tight and I will be back." replied Officer Jones. 


Reese's face dropped and she sat frozen on the spot and not for the first time today. Frogprint was her workplace. She was in shock.


She muttered to herself. 


" Why would someone want to bomb that place. What would they gain?" 


Reese crossed her fingers that all would be OK. Not to sound selfish but she was going to hand her notice in today as she had got another job. How would it seem if she still went ahead with that. But there's nothing she could do really. It had to be done. 


"Bomb, who would do that?" her thoughts running like mad. She sat in hope that it would get sorted quickly. 


Her trance was sharply interrupted by a phone call. It was her friend, Suzie, who she meant to call after the wild time on the town they had the night before. It was a blurry memory. But she remembers having had a good time and telling Suzie all about the new job and how excited she was to be leaving Frogprint; she had hated it and the bosses for so long, feeling aggrieved at how they had taken her for granted in recent months. 


Reese picked up. "Hey Suzie, how are you this morning?" 


"O-M-G Reese, do you think this is down to what we did last night?" warbled Suzie, all breathless and crying. 


"Is what down to us?" queried Reese, panicking, dreading the answer. Just then she screamed as it all came flooding back to her. 


They had both had too much to drink and ended up ranting about their work places, when Suzie dared Reese to send her bosses an email, telling them to stuff it as she was leaving and they never valued her. However, she remembered that somewhere in that message she had drunkenly stated that she hated the place so much that she'd love to see it have a bomb dropped on it… 


Stupid, so thoughtless and of course she didn't mean it or want anyone hurt but the drunken mind does let it all out. 


Her bosses saw the email first thing and raised the alarm. 


So why was she not been arrested before she even left for work, if this is what it's all about? Because she sent the email from an Internet cafe and signed it from A GRIEVE. Surely they couldn't find where it originated? By whom? 


"WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?" Reese screamed at Suzie. 


"Deny everything and certainly don't hand your notice in!!" Suzie advised, still crying. 


"I have to go, the police are coming back." And with that, Reese hung up on her panicked friend.


Officer Jones gestured for Reese to get out of the car. Oh no, full on panic and sweating set in now. She was white as a sheet.


"Madam, I have been informed by the Directors of the company concerned that you are Miss Reese Wordsworth, is that correct? And you're an employee of Frogprint? He asked her. 


" Erm, yes Sir, is something wrong?"


Nervously, Reese fidgeted with her car keys awaiting the officer's explanation. 


"Hand your keys over please Miss Wordsworth and come with me." 

Officer Jones passed the keys to a colleague who was going to move Reese's car shortly. 


Reese was taken over to the side of the main road where there was a senior officer waiting to speak to her. 


At this point she knew she was in trouble and begged the officer to explain why she was being questioned. He remained silent and passed her over to his colleague. Reese was ushered in to the back of a van and sat down in front of two plain clothes policemen who introduced themselves as Superintendent Lord and Chief Inspector Godley. 


Straight away, she felt a certain weirdness as she had been praying to the Lord God all morning, as people do, who don't even believe but try it out when pushed! 


SI Lord questioned Reese. 

"Miss Wordsworth, we need to talk to you about an email you may or may not have sent. It came to our attention from a colleague of yours that you are very disgruntled with your workplace and that you are planning to leave but keep dropping hints that you would like to see the place destroyed as you go. What do you have to say to these allegations? The reason we ask is that an email was sent to your Directors stating such things which seem to fit with what your colleagues say. Obviously, we wouldn't have all this fuss with an angry employee but following that email a package was delivered this morning, addressed to Mr Candella."


" What is so unusual about that, the package, they come all the time! ' snapped Reese. 


"Well, Miss Wordsworth, most packages would be addressed to a Director of a company as just that, or maybe as Mr, Mrs, Sir, etc and so on. Not generally as the 'tight-faced bossy bastard Candella." The email alongside the package would then make it very suspicious and rightly so, the police were called. Do you know anything about this?" SI Lord sternly enquired.


Chief Inspector Godley showed Reese a picture of the package. 


Suddenly Reese was hit by memories of more mad events from the previous night . She put her head in her hands and sobbed and then grabbed the locket around her neck which contained a picture of her grandma who had passed away twelve months ago but had always promised her that she would watch over her. So Reese took the locket, hoping it might be the good luck charm that would actually work this time, as she was rambling for her grandma to help. 


After she and Suzie sent the email they wandered off to the chippy for a late night snack. But being so drunk, the pair of them immediately threw up. Suzie's went all over the floor but Reese had the bag from chip shop which she managed to be sick in. 


What happened next was sick! Reese said it would be funny to have it sent to her boss in the morning as a nasty surprise. They laughed so hard but then ran back to the chippy and asked for a small box. Somehow they managed to pack the box and took it to a local taxi rank and paid them to deliver it for 7am in the morning. How the taxi company didn't refuse this will remain a crazy mystery. 


"Something wrong Miss Wordsworth? asked the Chief. 


" It's all my fault, I was drunk, I didn't mean any harm, really" she sobbed. 


Reese explained what happened and how she felt and she thought that would be the end of it, apart from maybe a stern telling off. No, that was not the end of it. Her actions had serious consequences and resulted in extreme distress to those concerned, not to mention a huge waste of emergency resources and disruption to people's lives. 


She was taken to the police station, and cautioned then put in the cells for a night. The morning after she was fined £1000 pounds for her crimes and given a warning. 


So now this is Friday morning and she is released, given her car and promised never to drink again. She checked her phone and there, waiting for her were texts, missed calls and emails in abundance. Her family, friends and colleagues all bombarding her with disgust, concern and general abuse. 


Right now was not the time to react. She needed to filter them out and reply to those that mattered. For now she just wanted to get home. 


Later that evening, she quickly glanced at the emails and she saw one from Candella, firing her with immediate effect but then she saw one from her new employer at Shan Design. Turns out she was fired from that too. But why, how did they know. The details of her name were not yet released to the press. 


As she read on, the letter ended with

'maybe when you have had enough to drink, you should just sleep it off and not go to the chip shop in future.' 


It turns out, Reese's new boss was in the chip shop at the same time and recognised her. So when the story emerged, he put two and two together, having overheard the two girls hatching their plan. 


Now you'd think the coincidences might stop there but there was more to come. Suzie also worked for the company Reese was due to join but at a different branch. She had not recognised the guy in the chip shop but the chat between the girls, led to Suzie also complaining about her workplace.


Yes, you guessed it, Suzie got fired too. 


What a disastrous night out that proved to be. Now both of them have decided that the only way their luck would change for the better would be to start afresh, together.


They decided to open a chippy and if anyone came in with drunken, late night outrageous conversation, they knew what they had to do! 


The end. 













June 13, 2021 17:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Giulia S.
08:18 Jun 24, 2021

I really liked how you tangled the events, and the suspense was perfectly balanced with a little bit of fun. Great work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.