2 comments

Fiction

                                                     COOKING BLITZ.

     Kerry worked, has a waitress at the Expresso Coffee bar in town, over the years she had seen many changes with banks and shops closing in the small market town.  Also, there were the advantages of not having to commute into London every day to work amid packed railway carriages early mornings to the city with the smell of smoke and sweat. She and her partner Brian managed their finances with both wages.

Here at the Expresso, it was not just about cooking food or being rushed off your feet if the place

became hectic.  It had become a meeting point where people got together with their friends and

family. knowledge of people giving a promote and efficient service staff had come and gone over the

years. Kerry stayed because she enjoyed caring for the needs of others. Being part of the community spirit knowing the needs of her customers being of importance to herself and others.  How they preferred their food and drinks served, finding time to chat to her regular customers She was proud to wear her black outfit with white cuffs and the Expresso motif upon the collar. She always took pride in looking smart and could be seen most days with her bright blond hair, warm brown eyes and shiny smile moving between the tables of the Expresso.

        There was Old Joel and his Mrs in their eighties who took for pleasure coming here always asking crispy bacon with brown sauce on brown bread. Seeing the way Joel’s blue eyes lit up when he said, “With brown sauce and brown bread, thanks.” Knowing that his wife had already placed an order stating how they liked their food. Little things like this became a regular pattern of the day.

Kerry was well liked and appreciated by staff and customers alike. Many asking her advice Kerry tried to be patient training younger staff how to treat people to always be understanding and polite,

many customers asking her advice on what to order came back to visit the Expresso. Recently the little café had won an award for being one of the best meeting places in the area.

  Today the red leather seats and the white walls looked fresh and welcoming. Rodrigo the chef would add extra fries to a lunch time order of burger chips and salad. People always came back and told their friends about how friendly the atmosphere was there. Often women from the local knitting group met there for a chat and coffee. Passers-by remarked how clean and spotless the place was when they dropped in for tea or coffee. Working here was an education getting to know your customers’ requirements and individual tastes.

 Kerry, thought that with everything going on line, you could not beat a friendly face and a smile to brighten up your day and that was why people always came back to the Expresso. The local fruit shop and butchers had been replaced by Aldi. People came here for a chat enjoying the service, being served with matching white cups and saucers while they read the newspapers on offer at their own leisure without being rushed.   She knew who would have early morning toast or mixed grill with extra beans. Customer relations was an art? Who wanted to see a miserable face greet them when it only took a few moments to light up someone’s day with pleasant conversation and a nice smile.

     Many older people enjoyed a cool frothy milk shake served with whipped cream just as much as the teens and children. Kerry had seen young couples meet here over the years later to bring along their children.  Everything was prepared properly on the white China plates while the cutlery shone, so that people took that extra pleasure in what they ate and the service they got. Often listening to the stereo music being played in the background not to loud from a local radio station that would please everyone with the odd news item thrown in of interest about the area.

   Since waitressing knowledge and concept of her life had improved. Kerry would not have it any other way.  Looking at her watch she would prepare herself, ready for taking lunch time orders. “Enjoyed, that have you?” she said, handing her latest customer his change from the till. Look forward to seeing you again? Old Jake Brown nodded his head the staff were friendly and the China was always clean what more could you ask for? It brightened up his week to come here for a chat with friends and the usual Friday fry up served always with a smile. “Much appreciated” he said winking his eye at Kerry. Besides the appetising smell of the food, there was time to relax without the dirty dish’s to be washed and put away.  It was knowing that once you opened the door of the Expresso your needs would be promptly met by friendly and caring staff.  

       The Expresso reminded Jake of the American diners years ago seen in his western films in the fifties and the late actor James Dean.  His wife Joan touched his arm soon it would be time to leave the Expresso. His Joan was a good one, putting up with him for over sixty years and his pigeons. Never complained about the pigeons although not to her liking, they both enjoyed coming to the Expresso to pass the time away with others for a few hours. As they left Kerry had helped him on with his grey overcoat, now that was service and politeness with a smile. What more could be desired efficiency, a full belly of good food with pleasant rewarding company. Never one for the internet Jake always preferred, to meet people face to face. The internet and the likes of modern technology were all right for the younger generation. Kerry watched as Jake and his wife crossed the road to the bus stop glad that she had made their day happy. The till jingled as the next customer opened the door.

September 16, 2023 04:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Charles Corkery
06:03 Oct 16, 2023

Hi Christine-good story. When you copy and paste your story in future, you need to edit it because, often, it does not paste accurately -with paragraphs getting mixed up, as has happened with this story. I used to do the same. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Poppy Jackson
16:04 Sep 23, 2023

I love the sense of place and community, reminds me of somewhere I used to work :) Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.