0 comments

Romance

Everything seemed to swirl around me; the bare winter trees, the snow, my own thoughts, but I seemed to stay where I was. The snow was coming down hard, blocking my vision. The darkening sky making each barren branch harder to make out past the falling flakes. The dark shadows of the trunks closing around me the deeper and deeper I went. Even though I felt like I was going nowhere, I kept running. I ran and ran. Putting distance from me and… Him! Occasionally, I would toss a just-making-sure glance over the shoulder. He wasn’t behind me. Why would he? Other than me, making a desperate escape, no one, in their right mind at least, would go into the deep center of the Forbidden Woods!

    “Ut fas est... ad cor! (I must… get… get to the heart!)” I cried out loud to myself, my breath leaving my body in short, puffy, white clouds.

    I pushed on! The snow getting deeper and deeper the farther and farther I went into the woods! My long black hair was flaying behind me. My deep, blood-red scarf flapping like a flag with my hair. My long, midnight purple overcoat looked like a cape in the wind. I have to get away from him! Where is he? Why do I want to know? I don’t care what happened to him after I got away! That was a lie. A big lie.

My heart screamed at me, beating out of my chest! Stop! Look for him! Go to him! Stop doing this to yourself! Ignoring the pain I was causing myself, I kept running. It’s was getting dark and I knew he would begin to give up. You can’t find a demon in the night and that’s exactly what I was, a demon! I took one more look over my shoulder and to to sky, seeing if maybe he was still after me as darkness crept across mys view!

“Divala!” A voice echoed through the trees, “Divala!”

“No! Relinquere me! (No! Leave me be!)” I screamed, knowing he couldn’t hear me, my mind was just tricking me.

This whole incident has affected me in ways I never thought were real! It was not right! Not good! I was not good! The snow was raging and racing around me, now fully blocking my sight from all sides! Never turning, I just kept going straight. Hoping to reach the heart. Believing that I would be safe there. The sun is at half view, shrinking behind the mountains. My pace slowed ever so slightly, the snow crunching under my leather boots. My red eyes began to glow, bringing light to the dimming area.

Finally nightfall greeted my path. Walking, slowly I calm down and welcome air into my lungs. Samuel can’t find me now. Demons disappear in the dark! My mind soothed me, giving me hope that I was finally, fully alone! Finding a small cave, I hide inside, created a small fire in the back, and rested my worn body. I was used to caves and other unsettling places to rest. As a demon, comfort was not something I cherished. Suddenly, a gust of wind whipped through the cave and extinguished the tiny flame I birthed.

Holding my breath, I forced myself against the stone slab that lined the back of the cave. In the pitch black darkness, a figure stood at the entrance. Blocking the only way out. He was still looking for me! I let my guard down too soon! Using my tongue, my language, I hear him speak! Saying a phrase I wish I never thought him, “Parvus ignis ignire ostendere voluisti. (Tiny fire, ignite and show your desire.)

Immediately, like a flash from a camera, my hands turned palms up and a blaze of fire erupted from them! Spreading light throughout the cave, showing me and the angel on opposite ends! Out of the smoke, glowing ashes danced around us, pushing us closer together! An apparition of two humanoid figures swirled in between the two supernatural beings. A guy and a girl. The winged figure held his hand out to the girl, Samuel. Hesitantly, she took it, being pulled into his arms, me. A burst of flames and the girl pulled away, wings sprouting from her back! The figures shared a kiss and the embers died, leaving the small fire alight again.

“My desire,” Samuel sighed, staying on the other side of the fire, knowing I didn’t want him close, “I want to bring you home.”

He reaches his hand out and grabs mine, come with me, he speaks to my subconscious, become an angel! I let my muscles relax as our eyes meet. His deep, caring, crystal, tree-top-green eyes looking… no peering… peering deeply into my dark, evil, fire-burning-red eyes. Holding for just a sliver of a moment, I let my guard down. All was peaceful until fiery visions flashed across my head! Fire! Destruction! Blood shed! Corpses! Angels and demons! Death! War! Nothing but horrors and terrors! The future! Images of what the future was going to be if we stayed this close!

I pulled away shaking, “No.”

“No?”

“Hoc est rectam! Tu nescis quid ego faciam?(This is not right! You do not know what we will cause!)” I shouted, pushing him away. I also take a step back. The fire flickers fiercely, then dies. Plunging the cave into darkness.

To my advantage, I rush past Samuel. Knocking him back into the cave wall. Surrounded by trees yet again. I leap in the high branches and hide. Making sure I am out of sight. I still my heart and slow my breathing, little clouds rush out and disappear. Through the branches I see Samuel walking the forest floor. Head tilted back. Throat fully exposed. Frantically scanning the dark canopy. Hope flashes in both of us. For him, hope to find me again. For me, hope to stay hidden. The crunch of the snow begins to fade. Proof and relief that he has past me.

“Divala! Please stop running away!” His voice floats on the wind.

Don’t you see? It’s because I care about you that I can’t! Because I love you, I have to keep running. I’m sorry my love. A single crystal runs along my bottom eyelid. A glimmer of sadness. It rolls down my cheek and falls to its death. Melting the cold snow from the fiery anger that dwells inside. Leaving behind the tear, I dash the other way, adding distance between us. The angel I love and our broken hearts.

Satan spit fire upon thy path! Why does thou curse me so? Oh great, dark father of deceit! Master of wrongdoing! Lord of darkness! I mutter and curse to myself. Stalking through the blind forest. Wishing and hoping to stumble across an unfortunate mortal. That would be all I need to change my mood. Have some fun and play with a lost soul, cause havoc, or maybe even organize a possession! That should be fun! Perform acts of sin and other unholy events!

The gears in my mind crank and turn as I think. Planning out my night of mischief! Oh how my father would be proud of his princess! The future ruler of the dead and evil! Being the daughter of the unholy overlord has its ups and downs. Up, you have no rules to live by… except killing mortals. Down, I can’t kill mortals… or anything. Up, have abundant powers! Down, humans get boring to possess and use my powers on. Up, everyone either fears or hates you, especially angels and other holy personnel. Down, everyone hates me but Samuel. Down, love knows no boundaries.

January 14, 2020 22:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.